Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2017, 10:22   #436
Senior - BHPian

Re: Recession Again ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
PS: The Kannada clipping offers to pay ₹15,000 for a butcher's job.
I have seen ads offering Rs 15k plus accommodation for frying groundnuts in push carts!

I know of a tier 3 - 4 software company here which recruits fresh MCAs and engineers only from rural colleges. They have to work a few months for free to be evaluated, and then appointed. Starting salary Will be about 10k.

Last edited by Gansan : 19th June 2017 at 10:26.
Old 19th June 2017, 13:08   #437
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
The following picture could have fit best in the Official Jokes thread. But the hard reality of the day is too glaring to be missed and hence this post.

Attachment 1649225

PS: The Kannada clipping offers to pay ₹15,000 for a butcher's job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Well, one of those jobs require real skill from day one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentEngine View Post
And comes with the risk of possible physical harm as well, given the frenzied curiosity about what's on the plate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I have seen ads offering Rs 15k plus accommodation for frying groundnuts in push carts!

I know of a tier 3 - 4 software company here which recruits fresh MCAs and engineers only from rural colleges. They have to work a few months for free to be evaluated, and then appointed. Starting salary Will be about 10k.
Guess it's about demand and supply, and equal parts about social stigma.
Our class conscious society without dignity of labor prefers 'I am an engineer (unannounced: working for Rs 10K/month)', rather than 'I am a butcher earning 20K/month'.
1000s of engineers passing out from colleges each year, and whatever their trade may be, they all want to get in to IT.

This slowdown in IT may be a blessing in disguise.
The engineers from core trades (other than CS / IT) shall lose the attraction to get into IT companies, boosting the core sectors by supplying them good quality engineers.
On the other hand, IT shall overcome the oversupply/less demand scenario, providing a chance to the ones who were laid off to get jobs again, and balance the entire industry.

Last edited by blackasta : 19th June 2017 at 13:11.
Old 22nd June 2017, 22:54   #438
Senior - BHPian

As Job Security is turning out to be chimera these days, couldn't hold this back:

Quote:
News: Anil Kumble resigned as head coach of Indian cricket Team.

Inference: No matter what or where, an engineer's job is never secure.
Old 27th June 2017, 17:34   #439
BHPian

Per this news report housing rentals will drop 10-20% because of the IT slump.

http://www.moneycontrol.com/news/bus...t-2312169.html

Another interesting thing I observed was that Brigade group has started vigorously marketing their "builder quota" flats of their old projects. They gave full page ads of flats of their 10 year old projects like Brigade Millennium or Gardenia.

Is it the start of a RE slump?
Old 27th June 2017, 18:39   #440
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalOne View Post
Is it the start of a RE slump?
The real estate slump started some time back but most players were hoping to sell off unsold assets at the initial prices. Now that no one is biting it, they are slashing prices to increase sales. Still, i think the prices are quite high and unrealistic to say the least.
Old 10th July 2017, 13:44   #441
Oxy
BHPian

Just got this on WhatsApp

Quote:
Hi folks,

Please Block your date for *Big IT protest*. Please come with your friends and inform others to make it big success and fulfill our concerns.

Demands:

1) Stop the sudden & illegal layoffs of IT Employees.

2) Resolve the issues of Students/Fresher’s Recruitment process.

3) Resolve the issues of women employees related to Security, Safety & Sexual harassment ….etc.

Last edited by Samurai : 10th July 2017 at 15:07. Reason: details removed
Old 10th July 2017, 17:03   #442
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
Just got this on WhatsApp
I have removed the details from the forwarded post since we can't be promoting any protests.

That said, I find the very first demand pointless. It assumes that the layoffs are illegal. Most IT corporates follow the letter of the law when it comes layoffs. Even in the recent TechM firing case, they were following what was agreed in the appointment letter. Courts won't find anything illegal there.
Old 10th July 2017, 17:17   #443
Distinguished - BHPian

Some sensible article here:

http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper...le19247780.ece

Quote:
A bigger issue that I see with the Indian IT sector is it was very innovative 25 years ago. There hasn’t really been another big innovation in the IT sector. They have been following the same template for too long. As a result, you don’t have an Indian Microsoft or an Indian Alibaba. And that’s the problem.

The product investment is not there, nor is the consumer Internet boom. So in some sense, the Indian IT industry hasn’t innovated in the last 15 years enough.
Of course, China didn't exactly innovate and also copied the american companies but they were successful due to many factors. But the assessment that India missed the bus is absolutely correct and I don't see that changing anytime soon. Not just in IT, but we are just not the society that respects risk taking and innovation.

Last edited by androdev : 10th July 2017 at 17:18.
Old 10th July 2017, 17:22   #444
Senior - BHPian

The Chinese created copies of other companies. They were successful owing to closed markets for outside companies in certain segments or loyal chinese customers.
Maybe we in India were riding smoothly and were averse to risk taking. Hopefully, it will change with the shakedown.
Old 10th July 2017, 18:26   #445
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Maybe we in India were riding smoothly and were averse to risk taking. Hopefully, it will change with the shakedown.
Yes, we certainly have the greed and ambition. But we exhaust all shortcuts before we take the difficult route. And we have the government that acts as the biggest hurdle.
Old 16th July 2017, 16:22   #446
BHPian

Terms like "rightsizing"/"workforce restructuring"/ "small" impact of performance based evaluation etc. looks very simple, but our society is not ready for such situations.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/59585777.cms
Old 30th July 2017, 19:05   #447
Senior - BHPian

Re: IT Industry and Employability of Technical Graduates

I saw an FB post the other day shared by a fellow bhpian, where an Entrepreneur and So called management guru and mentor proceeded to flaunt his ignorance about how a tachometer, and then proceeded to claim it a vestigial instrument, providing misleading and useless information (to 98% of the people out there) and that it has no purpose in a car. He then went into a fairly decent piece of gyaan about using the right metric for your dashboard, relevant etc. His point was valid, but his analogy was hopelessly wrong.

He was being torn apart in the comments, where he proceeded to justify himself, using the tesla model 3 as an example, which made his ignorance even more evident. Finally it seems he has deleted the comment.

He was not an engineer, but then again, neither was the bhpian who pointed it out (who was a doc). There are plenty of folks high up who somehow ended up their by sheer luck, and then decide that their ignorance is superior to your knowledge. So let he or she who is without sin cast the first stone

Last edited by ampere : 31st July 2017 at 07:52.
Old 31st July 2017, 10:44   #448
Senior - BHPian

Re: IT Industry and Employability of Technical Graduates

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
I saw an FB post the other day shared by a fellow bhpian, where an Entrepreneur and So called management guru and mentor proceeded to flaunt his ignorance about how a tachometer, and then proceeded to claim it a vestigial instrument, providing misleading and useless information (to 98% of the people out there) and that it has no purpose in a car. He then went into a fairly decent piece of gyaan about using the right metric for your dashboard, relevant etc. His point was valid, but his analogy was hopelessly wrong.

He was being torn apart in the comments, where he proceeded to justify himself, using the tesla model 3 as an example, which made his ignorance even more evident. Finally it seems he has deleted the comment.

He was not an engineer, but then again, neither was the bhpian who pointed it out (who was a doc). There are plenty of folks high up who somehow ended up their by sheer luck, and then decide that their ignorance is superior to your knowledge. So let he or she who is without sin cast the first stone
The post itself was a load of horse dung. I guess this entrepreneur has his own set of blind followers ready to buy such baseless theories. Things got interesting after the post was shared by a common friend.There was steady inflow of expletives and what not. I had a good time laughing my rear off.

The post was taken down methinks, couldn't find it later in the evening.
Old 31st July 2017, 11:56   #449
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
The Chinese created copies of other companies. They were successful owing to closed markets for outside companies in certain segments or loyal chinese customers.
I dont know if you can classify it as copies. Do we know if the code base for Baidu is the same as Google search? They do the same thing yes but are they copied, probably not.
Other thing is that as a result of making all these copies, there is some darn good innovation coming out from China and that innovation in the space of cloud and AI, the two hot beds of technical revolution right now.

http://technode.com/2017/07/03/how-c...e-200x-faster/
Old 11th August 2017, 17:53   #450
BANNED

As expected the $-₹ rate has finally breached 64 again. Also, it is being predicted that growth may be lower than 7%. So finally our economy is also slowing time.

Most Viewed