Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2019, 19:53   #2281
BHPian

Re: The Mutual Funds Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeWithaFiat View Post
Newbie alert!

I have some funds lying around in my Savings account and before it is too long and too late, I have decided to invest it in MFs across different fund houses. The following plan is what I have in mind.

1) Does it look like a good plan? My risk appetite is medium.
It helps to have a financial goal which you can work backwards on and plan your investment around. If not and if you have a long enough horizon (7-10 years) then its best to keep things simple and have 2-3 funds across fund houses. I personally steer clear of small caps as they are illiquid and are routed during slumps. Given your risk profile, perhaps you should stick to 1 large cap and 1-2 multi caps. If you must, HDFC Midcap opportunities and FT Prima are mid cap funds withdecent track records.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeWithaFiat View Post
a 10k monthly Chit fund with KSFE (a Govt. of Kerala run Chit company - very reliable) and a 5 Lakhs Fixed deposit. a 10k monthly Chit fund with KSFE (a Govt. of Kerala run Chit company - very reliable)
This caught my eye. A sizeable investment into a chit fund! Who guarantees these? Is at least the capital protected?
Old 8th February 2019, 21:29   #2282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullrun87 View Post
For a person with medium risk appetite you are making very risky investments of 2/3rd of your outgo in mid and small cap funds. Moderate risk investors should invest mostly in large cap and multi cap funds. Please remember to start equity SIP's only if you wish to continue for atleast 5-7 years else debt funds are the way to go.......... equities are good mid cap funds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
It helps to have a financial goal which you can work backwards on and plan your investment around. If not and if you have a long enough horizon (7-10 years) then its best to keep things simple and have 2-3 funds across fund houses. I personally steer clear of small caps as they are illiquid and are routed during slumps. Given your risk profile, perhaps you should stick to 1 large cap and 1-2 multi caps. If you must, HDFC Midcap opportunities and FT Prima are mid cap funds withdecent track records.
Yes, I am getting the same advice from multiple sources that I shouldn't be looking a lot at small cap funds. I should heed them and have removed small cap funds from the list. Thanks guys. I do have a long horizon and plan to continue with SIPs for at least 5 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullrun87 View Post
Instead of investing lumpsum, you can choose a liquid fund of the fund house you want to invest in and use STP to transfer your lumpsum into an equity scheme in several installments.
I did see the STP option. I'll look it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
This caught my eye. A sizeable investment into a chit fund! Who guarantees these? Is at least the capital protected?
Guaranteed by the Government of Kerala. KSFE is 100% owned and run by the Govt.of Kerala. Extremely safe and I am pretty sure that 7 out of 10 salaried individuals in Kerala will have a 'chitty' with KSFE. That includes Kerala BHPians too

Last edited by DudeWithaFiat : 8th February 2019 at 21:47.
Old 8th February 2019, 21:39   #2283
Senior - BHPian

KSFE - founded in1969 and fully owned by Govt. of Kerala. I have never put money in their chit fund, but started checking since last week.
Old 9th February 2019, 08:35   #2284
BHPian

HDFC Hybrid Equity Fund has been slowly raising the TER since couple of months now..

Seems like it might be good idea to move out of this fund fully.

Scheme Name(s) Base TER
Direct Plan/Option Effective Date
HDFC Hybrid Equity Fund FROM TO
0.96% 1.06% February 14, 2019

Scheme Name(s) Base TER
0.91% 0.96% January 15, 2019

Scheme Name(s) Base TER
0.81% 0.91% November 28,2018

Scheme Name Plan 04-Jun-2018 01-Jun-2018
HDFC Hybrid Equity Fund Direct Plan 1.06% 1.64%
Old 15th February 2019, 12:12   #2285
Senior - BHPian

Hi, I am a newbie in the MF world and would like to start investing. I am a moderate risk taker and would like to invest in large cap & mid cap funds. I am looking for help in :

1. Identifying a suitable portfolio manager. I have identified Upwardly and money control? How good are they? Any other better alternatives?

2. I am planning to start with around 5000 as monthly SIP and for a period of 5 years. Any suggestions?

3. How is Aditya birla as a large cap fund? Any suggestions on large & mid cap funds?
Old 15th February 2019, 13:08   #2286
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
Hi, I am a newbie in the MF world and would like to start investing. I am a moderate risk taker and would like to invest in large cap & mid cap funds. I am looking for help in :

1. Identifying a suitable portfolio manager. I have identified Upwardly and money control? How good are they? Any other better alternatives?

2. I am planning to start with around 5000 as monthly SIP and for a period of 5 years. Any suggestions?

3. How is Aditya birla as a large cap fund? Any suggestions on large & mid cap funds?
For moderate risk taker, Hybrid funds are the correct choices. If you invest in Large & Mid caps then you are a high risk taker.
Since you are a newbie, Can I suggest you to first list down your goals, your monthly income & expenditure etc. Based on the goals you can define your risk appetite. If you know a good and trusted Financial adviser, take his recommendations. You may be required to pay a fee but atleast your path of investment will be correct instead of speculation and marketing by online/offline service providers.

Aditya Birla MF has a host of Large cap funds, which one are you referring to? ABSL MF is a good company with an excellent track record.

As starters, I would suggest to visit Valueresearchonline website & check out the 4 & 5 star rated Mutual funds in Large, Midcap category in terms of performance and risk.
Old 16th February 2019, 13:52   #2287
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
For moderate risk taker, Hybrid funds are the correct choices. If you invest in Large & Mid caps then you are a high risk taker.
Since you are a newbie, Can I suggest you to first list down your goals, your monthly income & expenditure etc. Based on the goals you can define your risk appetite. If you know a good and trusted Financial adviser, take his recommendations. You may be required to pay a fee but atleast your path of investment will be correct instead of speculation and marketing by online/offline service providers.

Aditya Birla MF has a host of Large cap funds, which one are you referring to? ABSL MF is a good company with an excellent track record.

As starters, I would suggest to visit Valueresearchonline website & check out the 4 & 5 star rated Mutual funds in Large, Midcap category in terms of performance and risk.
Thanks ghodlur for the suggestions. I do not know any good financial adviser but have few friends who have invested from sometime and can take their advice. But I am also doing research on moneycontrol. Will check valueresearchonline site too. Regarding ABSL MF I was talking about income fund MF which has a 4 star rating.

I was thinking of going with Axis bluechip fund which is equity based , ABSL income fund which is a debt long term, BNP Paribas conservative hybrid with a 20, 30 & 50 split of my SIP. All these are projecting a good returns over 5 years which is how long I am thinking of investing for.
Old 16th February 2019, 23:13   #2288
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post

I think you can go for Hybrid Funds which is better option for moderate investors. For a 5K investment, I do not think you would require or get proper attention from the PF managers. As you have your friends are investing, get to know the ways and invest. Alternatively if you can read Value Research online artciles on how to invest and you can do it by yourself.

In this forum also there were discussions about investing through MFU online which is pretty good online investment tool for individuals like you.
Old 17th February 2019, 06:56   #2289
BHPian

Received the following screenshots from a friend.
Tweeted by a Market trader - Prashanth_Krish

https://twitter.com/Prashanth_Krish/...70687287586816

Screenshot 1
The Mutual Funds Thread-image1-1.jpeg

Screenshot 2
The Mutual Funds Thread-image2.jpeg

Thoughts of learned members here would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Old 19th February 2019, 22:38   #2290
BHPian

I have been investing for more than a year in mutual funds and currently most of invested funds show negative growth but i believe when the market is low it's the best time to invest.
I need suggestion regarding investment in ELSS funds. I want to utilize the full deductions available under 80C through mutual funds only. Currently i am investing iin one ELSS fund that is Sundaram Diversified Equity Direct Growth. I need to invest 50K more in lumpsum in one fund before the end of the financial year, i wanted to check if i should invest in the same fund i am investing in or is there any other ELSS fund i should choose for my lump sum investment.
Old 20th February 2019, 07:34   #2291
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranabegins View Post
I need suggestion regarding investment in ELSS funds. I want to utilize the full deductions available under 80C through mutual funds only.
Axis Long Term Equity Fund is a good ELSS fund.
Do a peer comparison on Moneycontrol for a more indepth outlook.

Axis L T Equity

OT, do not go by returns performance for last year. All funds have taken a beating.
3 years and 5 years performance give a better picture.
Old 20th February 2019, 09:27   #2292
Senior - BHPian

I am invested in L&T emerging business fund(growth) since around 1.5 years and it stands at around -12% currently. I know we should be patient with MFs , so I have no intention of exiting the fund as of now. But was wondering should I continue the monthly SIP? I understand when the fund is in red, the same amount will buy us more units compared to what it did when the fund was in green, but its been in red for almost a year now so am not sure if I should continue to pump in funds every month in this or should I redirect the SIP amount to some other fund? Any suggestions?

P.S: Am not talking about exiting the fund. I will think of withdrawal only after 5 years.
Old 20th February 2019, 09:32   #2293
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
I am invested in L&T emerging business fund(growth) since around 1.5 years and it stands at around -12% currently. I know we should be patient with MFs , so I have no intention of exiting the fund as of now. But was wondering should I continue the monthly SIP? I understand when the fund is in red, the same amount will buy us more units compared to what it did when the fund was in green, but its been in red for almost a year now so am not sure if I should continue to pump in funds every month in this or should I redirect the SIP amount to some other fund? Any suggestions?

P.S: Am not talking about exiting the fund. I will think of withdrawal only after 5 years.
I would advise staying put and continuing your SIPs. When markets are down, it gives you the best opportunity to accumulate MF units (or stocks) at cheap. If you stay the course, you will reap rich dividends when markets recover - which it eventually and surely will.
Old 20th February 2019, 09:37   #2294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovingeye View Post
I would advise staying put and continuing your SIPs. When markets are down, it gives you the best opportunity to accumulate MF units (or stocks) at cheap. If you stay the course, you will reap rich dividends when markets recover - which it eventually and surely will.
Thanks for the advise. So when do you reckon would be prudent to stop the SIP? When the returns start turning green-ish(~5-10% in positive)? I am invested in a couple of large cap(blue chip) & balanced funds as well, all of which as of now is in range of -3% to -5%.

Sorry if it sounds silly, but I have started MFs only 1.5 years back and hence have very limited knowledge on them.

Last edited by SoumenD : 20th February 2019 at 09:39.
Old 20th February 2019, 10:06   #2295
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Thanks for the advise. So when do you reckon would be prudent to stop the SIP? When the returns start turning green-ish(~5-10% in positive)? I am invested in a couple of large cap(blue chip) & balanced funds as well, all of which as of now is in range of -3% to -5%.

Sorry if it sounds silly, but I have started MFs only 1.5 years back and hence have very limited knowledge on them.
No, nothing silly at all. I have my SIPs set to perpetuity/very far in the future. If you do not have an immediate need for cash, why touch them unnecessarily?

If otherwise you're saving for a goal (house down-payment, marriage, kids education and such) , you can encash your holdings and stop the SIPs when those goals are imminent.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks