Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2017, 17:14   #1696
BHPian

Re: The Mutual Funds Thread

Hi,

Are you asking about opening the MFUtility account?

How do I get online access for MFUtility?

You do not get online access by default.

Sounds bizarre. However, do understand MF Utility is an industry initiative and thus needs to balance many participants.

You have to request online access. Once CAN is created (you get e-mail or SMS about CAN creation), you can drop an e-mail to MFU (clientservices[AT]mfuindia.com) requesting for online access.

You will get login credentials within a few days. You can go to following website to start investing through MFU.

https://www.personalfinanceplan.in/m...th-mf-utility/

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
Can you please explain how we get support of CAMS etc? I just successfully got the eCAN registered with MFU.
Old 10th October 2017, 17:22   #1697
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
For ELSS, if you have decided on investing with ABSL AMC then you could either go with (a) Aditya Birla Sun Life Tax Plan or (b) Aditya Birla Sun Life Tax Relief 96. Both are ok. Not much to separate them.

For Balanced fund, other than HDFC Balanced fund, you could also go with ICICI Prudential Balanced Fund. SBI Magnum Balanced Fund hasn't been performing well as compared to the above two.

Hope this helps.
Thanks again srvm. I had only shortlisted Aditya birla based on the suggestion by another member . I plan to do some more research as well over the weekend. IF there is any other that you can suggest I will gladly take that also.

Oh ok. I will not consider SBI than for balanced fund.
Old 10th October 2017, 17:25   #1698
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
Thanks again srvm. I had only shortlisted Aditya birla based on the suggestion by another member . I plan to do some more research as well over the weekend. IF there is any other that you can suggest I will gladly take that also.

Oh ok. I will not consider SBI than for balanced fund.
Do consider these 2 funds in ELSS category. They seem to be doing well.
(1) L&T Tax Advantage Fund
(2) Tata India Tax Savings Fund
Old 10th October 2017, 17:52   #1699
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradkumar View Post
Hi,

Are you asking about opening the MFUtility account?
I already have got the online access to MFU, thanks to step by step guidelines I received from "The Rationalist".

You mentioned that once registered with MFU, we also get support of CAMS/Karvy. I would like to understand in what context? Can the CAN number be used on CAMS site?
Old 11th October 2017, 18:42   #1700
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_m View Post
While I will explore the folio transfer aspect, wont the redemption and re-investment attract short term gains tax? What is the duration of between redemption and reinvestment, to avoid gains tax?
1 year is the period to be held if you want to avoid SCGT. If you sell anything before 1 year will lead to SCGT. Reinvestment will be treated as fresh investment for tax purpose. You can redeem any purchase of units done one year before. Even if it is purchased as part of SIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_abarth View Post
Is there a short term fund where I can invest until May 2018 with least risk ? also, can it help me from tax deductions ?
You can consider the liquid funds. I am not very sure about the tax angle for Liquid funds

Last edited by Samurai : 11th October 2017 at 23:35. Reason: B2B posts
Old 11th October 2017, 19:06   #1701
BHPian

Dear members,

Today is my birthday, I realized that I have zero investment in MF after having crossed a significant age milestone in my life.

I want to build retirement corpus over a 20 year period, I plan to invest 10k a month in the MF portfolio, slowly moving up to 15k a month, 5-6 years down the line.

I have narrowed down the following plans, money spread across evenly:
Mirae Asset India opportunities fund
DSP Black Rock fund
Kotak select focus fund

Can you please let me know your thoughts. I don't want to invest in ELSS as my 80c is exhausted by PF & home loan.

Rgds,
Vinod

Can you please advise

Last edited by theMAG : 11th October 2017 at 20:59. Reason: Removed formatting tags
Old 11th October 2017, 20:44   #1702
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
Dear members,

Today is my birthday, I realized that I have zero investment in MF after having crossed a significant age milestone in my life.

I want to build retirement corpus over a 20 year period, I plan to invest 10k a month in the MF portfolio, slowly moving up to 15k a month, 5-6 years down the line.

I have narrowed down the following plans, money spread across evenly:
Mirae Asset India opportunities fund (G)
DSP Black Rock fund (G)
Kotak select focus fund (G)

Can you please let me know your thoughts. I don't want to invest in ELSS as my 80c is exhausted by PF & home loan.

Rgds,
Vinod
Happy birthday Vinod!

Better late than never and good that you are focusing on mutual funds as your investment of choice. The FDs pay a paltry ROI these days anyway.

With an investment of 10K per month, you can divide your investments over 3 MFs.

If you want to invest with Mirae, a better choice can be Mirae Asset Emerging Bluechip Fund than the India opportunities fund. You have not mentioned the scheme for DSP BR but some other good funds that you may look into are:

ICICI Value discovery
Franklin Prima Fund
Aditya Birla Advantage Fund
Aditya Birla Top 100 Fund

Have a great day and get into the habit of investing.

Regards,
Saket

Last edited by saket77 : 11th October 2017 at 20:45.
Old 11th October 2017, 21:41   #1703
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post

One misconception I would like to clear. Why would You not want to invest in ELSS ? ELSS is just like any normal MF if you treat it like one. I have 6 funds in my portfolio and the tax saving funds are giving me best returns.

Last edited by Samurai : 11th October 2017 at 23:36. Reason: Avoid long quotes
Old 12th October 2017, 09:56   #1704
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
I already have got the online access to MFU, thanks to step by step guidelines I received from "The Rationalist".

You mentioned that once registered with MFU, we also get support of CAMS/Karvy. I would like to understand in what context? Can the CAN number be used on CAMS site?
If you are submitting physical transaction forms, you can submit the CAN based transaction forms at both CAMS, Karvy and select Sundaram BNP PoS locations With CAN Transaction Form, these locations will act fund neutral. CAMS is offering consolidated account statement for CAMS managed funds based on CAN number.
Old 12th October 2017, 11:47   #1705
BHPian

The Mutual Funds Thread

So I have one question from fellow members here :

When I applied for demat account from ICICI bank, I specifically asked them whether they will do the CKYC and provide me with the 14 digit KYN number, which they said they would. Not too surprisingly once the account was functional (demat), they had no clue what it meant!

There are fund houses like Mirae, who need the KYN number to register on their website for direct investment and I have no clue how to get the CKYC done 😑 I believe the bank does it, but the ICICI folks have no clue and they don't even have a form

Can anyone enlighten me ?
Old 12th October 2017, 17:37   #1706
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil994 View Post

There are fund houses like Mirae, who need the KYN number to register on their website for direct investment and I have no clue how to get the CKYC done 😑 I believe the bank does it, but the ICICI folks have no clue and they don't even have a form

Can anyone enlighten me ?
Not sure about KYN, however I could register on Mirae and make an investment without KYN few months back
Old 12th October 2017, 20:36   #1707
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
One misconception I would like to clear. Why would You not want to invest in ELSS ? ELSS is just like any normal MF if you treat it like one. I have 6 funds in my portfolio and the tax saving funds are giving me best returns.
It is not proven that ELSS schemes give more returns than normal equity schemes. And without any additional benefit, even theoretical, I would not like to keep my money locked in for 3 years.
Old 12th October 2017, 21:47   #1708
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
It is not proven that ELSS schemes give more returns than normal equity schemes. And without any additional benefit, even theoretical, I would not like to keep my money locked in for 3 years.
That has also been my experience (12 years) of MF investing. ELSS always gives lower returns than the best performing funds of the same AMC.

My theory behind this is since the asset sizes are smaller and there is a "captive" investor base, the star fund mangers are not interested in ELSS. They are generally managed by trainee or junior fund managers.
Old 12th October 2017, 22:32   #1709
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalOne View Post
That has also been my experience (12 years) of MF investing. ELSS always gives lower returns than the best performing funds of the same AMC.

My theory behind this is since the asset sizes are smaller and there is a "captive" investor base, the star fund mangers are not interested in ELSS. They are generally managed by trainee or junior fund managers.
Not necessarily. I have some ELSS schemes in my portfolio like BSL tax relief 96 which is one of the better performing schemes. Actually what I wanted to convey is that it is not true that ELSS schemes have any edge over non-ELSS equity schemes.
And though I always plan to stay invested for a long period, but unnecessarily I wouldn't want my money to be locked in without getting any tax benefits.
Thanks!
Old 12th October 2017, 23:44   #1710
Senior - BHPian

Have a few queries.
I have invested in ELSS where I am expecting good returns, close to 15-18%. Shall be investing for three years in ELSS, then forget the amount till retirement.
Along with that I have a couple of SIP, one with Birla and one with HDFC.

How good are balanced mutual fund schemes ?
Have an option with Motilal Oswal where in the returns are 9% which are disbursed on monthly basis or quarter. Plus the value of principal amount invested may also increase.

Does anybody have any experience in this ? How does it compare to SEP ?
I have some amount in UTI which isn't giving as expected returns. Want to shift that amount. Confused between SEP and the balanced fund option of Motilal Oswal.

PS : I am relative newbie to investments. Long term returns is the basic agenda, probably 20 years.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks