Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2018, 10:14   #1891
BHPian

The Mutual Funds Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by M35 View Post
Thank you all for the valuable inputs. Will stay away from ULIP.

Now, shortlisted a few SBI mutual funds:
  • SBI Magnum Balanced Direct Plan-Dividend
  • SBI Emerging Businesses Direct Plan-Dividend
  • SBI Emerging Businesses Fund-Dividend
  • SBI Infrastructure Fund Dividend

Make any sense? or any other to choose from?

Dear M35,

There is a saying ,do not keep all your eggs in one basket, similarly consider parking your eggs in to multiple baskets.

SBI AMC is undoubtedly good, however there are several other fund houses with even better past/present performances. Some of the funds which are tried and tested throughly are as below, read about them and take your pick.

Large caps;
Aditya Birla front line equity
Kotak Select focus fund
Edelweiss Equity Opportunities Fund
Mirae Asset India Opportunities Fund

Mid caps;
Franklin India Prima Fund
Kotak Emerging Equity
L&T India Value Fund.

Last edited by varoon9999 : 24th February 2018 at 10:16.
Old 28th February 2018, 16:03   #1892
BANNED

Re: The Mutual Funds Thread

@M35; I will add one more point. Try and avoid dividend monthly schemes. They are a pain. I am trying to pull out of all Dividend Monthly and Quarterly schemes.
Old 28th February 2018, 16:06   #1893
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@M35; I will add one more point. Try and avoid dividend monthly schemes. They are a pain. I am trying to pull out of all Dividend Monthly and Quarterly schemes.
You can switch to Growth Option I think. No need to pull out.
Old 6th March 2018, 09:00   #1894
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post
Study well (spend some quality time) and pick the 4* or 5* funds. Do not invest in thematic funds, just stick to diversified equity. I would pick 2 large cap funds and 2 mid cap funds. Make sure these 4 funds are from 4 different fund houses (like one from HDFC, one from ICICI, one from FT and one from Birla). Wouldnt want to suggest to look at small/micro cap funds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalOne View Post
Hello,

1 Large Cap - 4K
1 Mid cap - 4K
1 Multi cap - 4k
1 Small cap - 3k.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
-

- Large respected fund house
- Fund that has been around for atleast 5 years.
- Diversified equity fund that invests across market capitalization
- Not a sector fund.
- Corpus of atleast Rs. 5,000 crores
- 4 or 5 star rating on valueresearchonline.com

If you are feeling adventurous, you should actually buy an underperforming fund (as long as it meets the above parameters).
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramvicky1984 View Post
Hi,
I am looking to invest in Mutual funds.
Need: long term investment child education & marriage after about 15-20 years ( she is under a year old now).
Hi,

Thanks for all the advice. Have been trying to learn from valueresearch website.

I have increased by plan for SIP to upto maximum of 30k per month

I have shortlisted the following. Request your valuable suggestions and feedback.

SL no name type rating size

Large cap (2 or 3 from these)

1 Aditya Birla Sun Life Frontline Equity Fund - Direct Plan Large cap 5 20,000
2 SBI Bluechip Fund - Direct Plan Large cap 5 18,000
3 Reliance Top 200 Fund - Direct Plan Large cap 5 8,100
4 HDFC Equity Fund - Direct Plan Large cap 4 23,000

mid cap ( 1 or 2 from these)
5 Franklin India Prima Fund - Direct Plan Mid cap 4 6,600
6 HDFC Mid-Cap Opportunities Fund - Direct Plan Mid cap 4 20,000

Multi cap
8 Franklin India High Growth Companies Fund - Direct Plan Multi cap 4 8,000

Small cap
9 SBI Small & Midcap Fund - Direct Plan Small cap 5 908
Old 7th March 2018, 12:58   #1895
BHPian

Re: 'PayEezz Ref#' in MF Utilities?

What is this 'PayEezz Ref#' in MF Utilities? How to get this done?

When ever I try to add a SIP transaction it is asking me the same. I have CAN registered and also my bank account details provided to MFU.

Please advise!!
Old 7th March 2018, 13:09   #1896
BANNED

Re: 'PayEezz Ref#' in MF Utilities?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
What is this 'PayEezz Ref#' in MF Utilities? How to get this done?

When ever I try to add a SIP transaction it is asking me the same. I have CAN registered and also my bank account details provided to MFU.

Please advise!!
Hi Jmaruru,

PayEezz is Common One Time Mandate that can be made. You can download PayEezz form and send it to MF Utility office. You can make a mandate for upto 1 crore. So for any amount till 1 crore you don’t have to take internet banking, just click the PayEezz option at time of payment and you are done.

Regards,
The Rationalist.
Old 7th March 2018, 20:03   #1897
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramvicky1984 View Post
Hi,

Thanks for all the advice. Have been trying to learn from valueresearch website.

I have increased by plan for SIP to upto maximum of 30k per month

I have shortlisted the following. Request your valuable suggestions and feedback.
It has been advised anything more than 4 or 5 fund is not recommended. It is over diversification and does not help in anyway to your portfolio.
I would suggest you to trim the no of funds in each category. May be one from each category?
Old 7th March 2018, 22:01   #1898
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I think we should pull out of all dividend schemes. Monthly, Quarterly or Yearly. If you need money, you can always redeem the amount required. ( assuming that there is no exit loads applicable.)
Old 8th March 2018, 19:19   #1899
Distinguished - BHPian

Just realized Zerodha has the Direct funds. Since I have a trading account, am going to use it to buy the funds. Looking at the past performances in Money Control, for ELSS, I'll go for these funds via SIP.

1. IDFC Tax Advantage
2. Motilal Most Focused Long term fund
3. Principal Tax Savings
4. BOI AXA Tax Advantage
Old 8th March 2018, 19:39   #1900
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Just realized Zerodha has the Direct funds. Since I have a trading account, am going to use it to buy the funds. Looking at the past performances in Money Control, for ELSS, I'll go for these funds via SIP.

1. IDFC Tax Advantage
2. Motilal Most Focused Long term fund
3. Principal Tax Savings
4. BOI AXA Tax Advantage
Why so many ELSS funds? For tax savings? You do know that they have a lock in of 3 yrs right.
Old 8th March 2018, 23:35   #1901
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Why so many ELSS funds? For tax savings? You do know that they have a lock in of 3 yrs right.
Yep. Have been investing in ELSS since 2005. I use this as a primary investment for tax savings. For the last 2-3 years, I was on DSP Black Rock & Axis long term fund, but these are no where near the above 4 in performance in the last 3 years or so and hence planning to invest into these starting April.

Haven't finalized the SIP across these yet, but think 5K each into top 2 & 2.5K each into last two.

Just curious - do we have any lock in period for VPF?
Old 9th March 2018, 07:55   #1902
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Just curious - do we have any lock in period for VPF?
You can say your retirement age is your lock in period. Although the conditions to withdraw from VPF is very much same as PF like marriage, education, house etc. If you are thinking of contributing to VPF, I would suggest to look for equivalent amount in SIP in balanced fund alternatively as the returns would be more than 8% (looking at the govt reducing PF interest rates), lock in only a year and easily liquidated.
Old 9th March 2018, 13:34   #1903
Senior - BHPian

I just started investing in MFs(through SIP) around a year back.

Performance looked good till a day before budget but since the budget day they have gone downhill and I notice most of the funds are in red now.I know for good returns one has to be patient and I will be waiting for another year atleast.

But out of curiosity, is this the case across all funds? I am currently invested in L&T emerging business fund, SBI cluechip regular plan & HDFC balanced fund direct plan. All growth options.
Old 9th March 2018, 16:57   #1904
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post

But out of curiosity, is this the case across all funds? I am currently invested in L&T emerging business fund, SBI cluechip regular plan & HDFC balanced fund direct plan. All growth options.
The NAVs of mutual funds move as per stock market indices - the rise and fall being sharper for a few of them. You may track NAVs vs Sensex/Nifty to have a better idea about the moves. Patience will pay off in the long run more so because you have taken the SIP route of investment. I too had got jittery about my investments in 2008-09, when the sensex fell from nearly 20000 to 9000, myself being very new to investments in mutual funds at that time. It was literally a bloodbath. I continued with SIPs and today my average is around 17% CAGR.

Regards
Sravan
Old 17th March 2018, 22:12   #1905
BHPian

Need some advice. I had maintained few funds in the Arbitrage category due to their equity fund treatment and returns closer to liquid funds. But after the LTCG on equity MFs, I am thinking of liquidating these before 31 March as most of them have completed 365 days. As far as my understanding of the rule is, there would be no tax liability on these if I do the transactions before 31 March 2018, irrespective of the capital gain amount.

What I am not sure of is where to park these? Before the LTCG rule, I had few STPs which were transferring amount from arbitrage to balanced. If I put all of the redeemed amount in balanced, it will be one single bit investment into a balanced fund. I am not too fond of this approach. I wanted to have better returns while slowly moving the funds into other equity schemes. Any suggestions?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks