Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2019, 08:46   #2491
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Mutual Funds Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by murillo View Post
I was investing on an ad hoc basis in Mirae Assest Emerging Bluechip Fund. However, this fund is closed for fresh subscription for a long time now with no indication of when it will be opened up. Hence, I am unable to contribute further to this fund. I don't want to go the SIP way as my staggered investments cannot be timed.

Now, I want to start investing in another mutual fund of similar caliber to Emerging Bluechip Fund. I want to go with a fund that is purely a mid-cap fund, with at least 75-80% assets mandated to be invested into midcaps. I will be grateful if anyone can suggest a couple of funds of this type, caliber, reputation, and past performance.
Check out HDFC Mid Cap Opportunities, Axis Mid Cap, L&T Mid Cap. Compare these and for more info check value research online website for the portfolio allocation.
Old 14th June 2019, 08:51   #2492

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashkul View Post
Last year (& half) has not been very good for small and midcaps. The expected earnings recovery never came about, and all mid/small cap funds fell from their peaks of 2016/7. But - now the major domestic event is out of the way, there's turn-around expected over the next few quarters, analysts also sound positive about the mid/smallcap space, albeit with customary disclaimers regarding stock-specific growth etc. I have re-started my SIP based on all these factors. If you are not comfortable, you may stop the SIP in this fund and pick an alternate one.
This is a very important point. When selecting mutual funds, please look at performance with respect to benchmark and category. Similarly when reviewing performance, compare with benchmark and category. MAI Emerging Bluechip would have compared well.

Please note that this is now a large and midcap fund, with the present portfolio heavily biased towards large caps. VRO says that about 41% is in mid-caps, about 6% in small caps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murillo View Post

Now, I want to start investing in another mutual fund of similar caliber to Emerging Bluechip Fund. I want to go with a fund that is purely a mid-cap fund, with at least 75-80% assets mandated to be invested into midcaps. I will be grateful if anyone can suggest a couple of funds of this type, caliber, reputation, and past performance.
It may be difficult to find a fund that 75 to 80% in midcaps. SEBI mandates a midcap fund to have at least 65% in midcap. Most funds would stay around this range and use the rest of the space for largecaps to give some stability. At this time - June 2019 - though, most midcap funds are 80% and more in midcap, in anticipation of a recovery in that space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I will advise all to be cautious. I for one am not investing till after the budget. Also, markets will continue to be choppy.
I see that you have mentioned this earlier too. May be, if your time horizon is 1 or 2 years, these periodic events may have an impact. If some one is looking at a 10-year horizon, and would invest multiple times, then it does not help to focus on seasonal and periodic events.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 22nd June 2019 at 10:29. Reason: line spacing
Old 14th June 2019, 09:12   #2493
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine_Roars View Post
I have a monthly SIP for L AND T EMERGING BUSINESSES FUND GROWTH plan & it is underperforming & is in loss of 6%. I am thinking of stopping the SIP, not redeeming it, any guidance would be much appreicated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine_Roars View Post
Yes, I had bought these looking at their past performance but for some reason they have never shown me a positivie growth, it has been an year that I have been investing in this fund. I am not sure if I should keep investing in this or should stop my SIP and the let the invested amount be.
On the same boat buddy. Invested in this one since 20 months and currently at -5.44% . Started off seeing their past performance just like you. The only reason I am continuing is to accumulate some more units till the NAV is low. Will continue investing till the overall investment breaks even, post which I intend to stop any further investments(SIPs) on this one but won't redeem. Will wait and watch for probably another couple of years to see if it recovers. Thankfully I didn't go all out & allocated only 25% to this one, else would have been more painful to watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashkul View Post
Last year (& half) has not been very good for small and midcaps. The expected earnings recovery never came about, and all mid/small cap funds fell from their peaks of 2016/7. But - now the major domestic event is out of the way, there's turn-around expected over the next few quarters, analysts also sound positive about the mid/smallcap space, albeit with customary disclaimers regarding stock-specific growth etc.
Hope this happens. Fingers corssed.

Last edited by SoumenD : 14th June 2019 at 09:29.
Old 14th June 2019, 09:17   #2494
BHPian

I have both the small cap and mid cap funds from L&T as well. Looks like a lot of us got fooled by looking at past performance. Still continuing SIP.
Old 14th June 2019, 13:34   #2495
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovingeye View Post
I have both the small cap and mid cap funds from L&T as well. Looks like a lot of us got fooled by looking at past performance. Still continuing SIP.
Mid & Small cap funds are cyclical in a way, they outperform every other fund during the bull run, which in turn shows a very great picture of returns. But most mid and small caps have more than halved from their peaks (at the peak of the bull run) last year. Those looking at just the indices wont even know the market underwent a good correction already in segments, without any impact on the index stocks.

One can truly reap the benefits of small and mid cap funds only when whey have kept their SIP's/investments running during their lean phase.
I feel most mid and small caps have bottomed out and this is the right time to invest in these funds.

The decision to stop/start the EMI is purely individual, but according to me, it will be unwise and the worst time to liquidate any small and mid cap fund.
Old 15th June 2019, 16:29   #2496
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
My wife had done e-KYC long back and recently she did 'in-person verification' for full KYC.

But the modification has been rejected citing the below reason. Can anybody help me decipher this?
I think below is the reason for Modification Remarks : AADHAR NUMBER PRESENT IN KYC IMAGE / KYC DATA.

It is present as a popup notice in the KarvyKRA site.

Quote:
As per the latest PML Rules, the Aadhaar number should on any document accepted as proof document has to be mandatorily redacted / blacked out. In view of the above, please ensure:

• Aadhaar number is not mentioned in the application form as an identifier
  • Aadhaar is not accepted as Proof of Identity document
  • If Aadhaar card / document is accepted as Proof of Address the Aadhaar number appearing in the document is blacked out / redacted so that it becomes illegible
  • Please verify the Aadhaar document submitted as proof of address with its original before redacting / blacking out the number

KYC applications received with Aadhaar number mentioned in the application form / supporting documents shall not be processed and will be retained in hold status for rectification.
P.S:
Is there any issues in taking fresh KYC through CAMS as my previous e-KYC was the through Karvy.

Last edited by thoma : 15th June 2019 at 16:36.
Old 22nd June 2019, 10:02   #2497
BHPian

I have some surplus funds which I would like to invest with a Time horizon of 3-6 months. Which Mutual Fund category should I opt for, Debt or Liquid Funds? Any particular fund recommended? Also how is the taxation on such funds? Or is it advisable to go for a Bank FD so that there is no erosion of the invested amount (a risk with mutual funds).
Thank you.
Old 22nd June 2019, 11:16   #2498
BHPian

Gurus,

I hope this question is relavent to this thread. But I don't see any other thread to jump to.

I am in dire need of help. Me and my wife have accounts with CAMS India, which I created to purchase Mutual funds. Suddenly after linking with Aadhar, I am unable to purchase funds for my wife. I cannot do it from CAMS or directly from funds website.

Initially it was tracked down to issue with PAN data of my wife. I got the details yesterday and attached pic is the details of my wife's PAN KRA. I need your help in identifying the issues in details and the ways to rectify it. I am not clear on the solution provided by the website. I have only cropped her name and PAN#. Rest is what is as is from website.

Another point is her PAN is in her maiden name and Aadhar is with changed surname. PAN is linked successfully with Aadhar on income tax website.

Can you please help in fixing the issues and steps required to do so?
Attached Thumbnails
The Mutual Funds Thread-img_20190621_1549172.jpg  

Old 22nd June 2019, 11:30   #2499
Senior - BHPian

Are there any special considerations for investing in mutual funds if you become an NRI?
I have existing SIP's in my and my son's name. One of our CA friend has suggested to stop those SIP's before moving abroad to keep the 'investment as RI separate from investment as NRI'.

Is that really needed?
Secondly, what additional paperwork is needed once I become NRI and also during transition period. Any guidance based on first hand experience would be appreciated.
Old 22nd June 2019, 12:20   #2500
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh2711 View Post

Another point is her PAN is in her maiden name and Aadhar is with changed surname. PAN is linked successfully with Aadhar on income tax website.

Can you please help in fixing the issues and steps required to do so?
Your KYC is very old and do not contain the needed information. PAN can be linked to income tax site, but for purchase of mutual funds you need to do KYC. I think you need to change the name in PAN and then do an in-person KYC at a CAMS centre near you.

I do not know if you can do the in-person KYC at a CAMS centre with the existing PAN. Just try.
Old 22nd June 2019, 23:14   #2501
tud
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
Bajaj Finserv corporate FD is very safe. This NBFC has solid financials and is safe as a bank (not literally ).
I'm planning to invest in Bajaj Finserv FD and Shriram Transport FD (because of their interest rates which is about 1-2% more than most banks) on behalf of my mother who is a senior citizen. Needless to say risk appetite is low. Both these companies seems to have a good rating by CRISIL. Is that all I should be looking at?

I have moved the eggs to different baskets (mostly the SBI and its likes) and want to move some to the NBFCs. These NBFCs still offer less than 10% p.a. which makes it believable and not a very greedy move to go behind them.

There are so much news floating about NBFC bubble waiting to burst (or has it already?), I'm not sure if it is a sensible move to invest them. What are your thoughts on them?
Old 22nd June 2019, 23:49   #2502
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tud View Post
I'm planning to invest in Bajaj Finserv FD and Shriram Transport FD (because of their interest rates which is about 1-2% more than most banks) on behalf of my mother who is a senior citizen. Both these companies seems to have a good rating by CRISIL. Is that all I should be looking at?
Bajaj Finserv is fine, but I'm not sure about Shriram Transport Fin. Other than credit rating and P&L statement, do a quick Google check on their NPAs (non-performing assets). Shriram Transport Fin has a gross NPA of 9% while Bajaj Finserv's gross NPA is around 1%.

Quote:
There are so much news floating about NBFC bubble waiting to burst (or has it already?), I'm not sure if it is a sensible move to invest them. What are your thoughts on them?
If its your money, go ahead and invest in select NBFC offerings with your eyes open. Being adventurous with mom's money is not a wise thing to do Also, it would be better to take the mutual fund route and invest in corporate bond mutual funds. Choose corporate bond funds with large AUM and long history
https://www.valueresearchonline.com/...%2Cdir%2Cclose
Old 25th June 2019, 16:29   #2503
BHPian

I am planning to start 3 SIP's from maybe this week or from the first week of July. My breakdown will be:
First SIP: 2500/-
Second SIP: 1500/-
Third SIP: 1000/- OR 2 500/- each.

For the first SIP i have choose to go with SBI Magnum Multicap Fund-Reg G. Now can the guru's please advise me with the options for no. 2 and 3.
My goal is to save this money and I am okay with 25-30 years of time frame with these SIP's.
Thanks
Old 25th June 2019, 18:57   #2504
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh09 View Post
I am planning to start 3 SIP's from maybe this week or from the first week of July. My breakdown will be:
First SIP: 2500/-
Second SIP: 1500/-
Third SIP: 1000/- OR 2 500/- each.

For the first SIP i have choose to go with SBI Magnum Multicap Fund-Reg G. Now can the guru's please advise me with the options for no. 2 and 3.
My goal is to save this money and I am okay with 25-30 years of time frame with these SIP's.
Thanks
Not a guru but here are my suggestions:
Second SIP: HDFC Midcap Opportunities
Third SIP: Mirae Asset Hybrid Equity Fund
The above suggestions are purely on the logic of the no of investment years to achieve the goal.

Is the goal to save money meant for Retirement??
Old 25th June 2019, 19:41   #2505
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
I think you need to change the name in PAN and then do an in-person KYC at a CAMS centre near you.

I do not know if you can do the in-person KYC at a CAMS centre with the existing PAN. Just try.
Thanks for you revert. By the time this gets fixed I will keep purchasing from my account, even for her.

It's a shame, that she will have to go through the name change process. I never wanted that to be done. .
At One point we talk about women empowerment, still a lady has to go through name change everywhere. I am not sure why a woman cannot keep her maiden name and simply tick the married box as yes and update husband's name wherever required. For all other formalities we have marriage certificate to prove the relation and inheritance issues in future.

Probably I made a mistake while her Aadhar was being created. Sincere Apologies for being off topic.
Many thanks again.

Last edited by saurabh2711 : 25th June 2019 at 19:43.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks