Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2013, 14:35   #451
BANNED

Re: The Mutual Funds Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post

The best gamble for me so far has been Franklin Asian Equity Fund(G) and FT India Feeder - Franklin U.S. Opportunities Fund(G). Together they have given me 7.6% gain in just one month.
I presume that I have to pay 10% tax on this amount, just like debt funds, but still this is good.
Not too sure with the Rupee Dollar rate improving!
Old 11th September 2013, 19:37   #452
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Ultra short term debt should be safer, but does not turn me on. Why should I hold ultra short term for over a year?
Help me understand something, lets say there there is a short term debt fund which has offered a 8% return over the past 1 yr period and there is an ultra short debt fund which has offered 9% over the same period, why should not one hold the latter for just over a year (even if its ultra short debt and conventional wisdom suggests holding it for 6 months or so) assuming that the performance of both the funds remain the same?

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
I started investing in October 2012.

IDFC Ultra Short Term Fund-Reg(G) has given me returns of 7.92%. I intended to keep the money for a short time, but since I did not need the money, I continued. Also, the returns were not good last few months, now the figures are better.

On the same day, I invested in DSPBR MIP Fund-Reg(G). This is a debt fund and has given me 4.33% return.

Two months ago, I invested in a liquid fund Templeton India TMA(G). I have gained 1.56%. Again, the figure fluctuates every month, so you cannot withdraw when you want, rather you have to see the markets and then decide. This is supposed to be an alternative to keeping money in your savings account at 4%.

In contrast, I did SIP for equity mutual funds. Now I have completed the SIP's for all 5 funds and I am having a loss of 2.68%. It was much worse a few weeks ago, but something good has happened in the markets, I guess.

The best gamble for me so far has been Franklin Asian Equity Fund(G) and FT India Feeder - Franklin U.S. Opportunities Fund(G). Together they have given me 7.6% gain in just one month.
I presume that I have to pay 10% tax on this amount, just like debt funds, but still this is good.

Hope this manages to confuse you somewhat.
The whole MF business confuses me more as I research further. I had been investing modest sum for the past two years in HDFC top 200 and ICICI Pru bluechip and the latter seems to be the better of the lot. I think the malaise lies with the overall equity markets and the current administration...wait let me not go there!

Am thinking of starting a SIP with BNP Paribas equity fund, any comments?
Old 12th September 2013, 09:36   #453
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
1. Help me understand something, lets say there there is a short term debt fund which has offered a 8% return over the past 1 yr period and there is an ultra short debt fund which has offered 9% over the same period, why should not one hold the latter for just over a year

2. The whole MF business confuses me more as I research further.

3. Am thinking of starting a SIP with BNP Paribas equity fund, any comments?
1. Vector in the risk element. Even a FD is 9% or more. Remember as soon as interest rates show signs of stability the ultra short term returns will fall dramatically. I do not think I can second guess the market, maybe you can.

2. It is dependent on the markets. One cannot second guess, just take your call. All pundits say that after peaking at 20k or so the markets are due for a big correction. I do not think I will invest till the elections.

3. I have no idea abut the Fund. SIP is the way to go. I will avoid Equity till after the elections.
Old 12th September 2013, 15:26   #454
BHPian

Friends,
I am planning to redeem these SIP s now. Please advice if it is ok. Thanks

BSL tax relief 96 G
DSP BR TIGER Reg G
Franklin India Flexicap -G
HDFC Taxsaver-D
Reliance Growth -G
SBI Magnum Taxgain -G

Looking forward for a quick reply.
Thanks
Ramesh
Old 12th September 2013, 15:49   #455
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameshdude View Post
Friends,
I am planning to redeem these SIP s now. Please advice if it is ok. Thanks

BSL tax relief 96 G
DSP BR TIGER Reg G
Franklin India Flexicap -G
HDFC Taxsaver-D
Reliance Growth -G
SBI Magnum Taxgain -G
Considering the positive sentiment in the market, you can redeem them. But ideally the SIPs should be redeemed in systematic way. If you are not in urgent need of money, you can opt for systematic withdrawal plan. Which will be better.
Old 13th September 2013, 10:11   #456
BHPian

Hello all,

Is it good time to invest in SIP/MFs?
Would appreciate if I get some recommendations
( I want to invest around 10~50k with returns expected spanned along 6 months to 3 years )

I have been putting the same money in good lead funds ( stock with delivery ) and booking around 10% profit on surges.
^ thought of doing this since most stocks are close or within 20% from their 52wk lows and I had some funds.

but, I am getting busier at office & I don't have that much time to keep track.

Suggestions welcome.

Oh- and I do not NEED the funds right away - but since I recently got married I would like quarterly / bi annual returns on the investments now.

Thanks,

Ace.
Old 18th September 2013, 13:37   #457
Senior - BHPian

Have 4 MF's in my portfolio

1) BSL Front line equity - SIP ended in Sept 2013
2) HDFC top 100 - SIP to end Dec 2013
3) Reliance Regular Savings Fund - SIP to end in Dec 2013
4) DSPBR Top 100 - SIP to end in Dec 2013

Question: Should I redeem the BSL fund for which SIP ended? or hold it till the other MF SIP to expire in Dec? Even if i redeem - where to park the funds?

Are the above MF's worth continuing as SIP's for the next 3 years?
Old 18th September 2013, 14:14   #458
BANNED

@ghodlur; Two of them HDFC and DSPBR are large cap funds from good houses. I will stick with them. I do not know anything about the other funds.
Old 18th September 2013, 16:43   #459
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Question: Should I redeem the BSL fund for which SIP ended? or hold it till the other MF SIP to expire in Dec? Even if i redeem - where to park the funds?

You have a good mix of funds. In my opinion you can continue investing in BSL Frontline fund till December. It is a good fund. But as your portfolio contains two large cap funds, so you may consider exiting this fund.

Also you may consider exiting Reliance Regular Saving fund. It was a good fund but in recent times it is under performing. So in my opinion you can opt for transferring to a better fund, Reliance Opportunities fund or even Reliance Pharma fund (I have a small exposure, it has been a consistent performance)

If you are not in urgent need, consider redeeming the funds via SWP.

Last edited by MaxTorque : 18th September 2013 at 17:02.
Old 20th September 2013, 10:17   #460
BHPian

Quote:

1) BSL Front line equity - SIP ended in Sept 2013
2) HDFC top 100 - SIP to end Dec 2013
3) Reliance Regular Savings Fund - SIP to end in Dec 2013
4) DSPBR Top 100 - SIP to end in Dec 2013

Below observations based on my personal investments:

BSL Frontline is large & midcap. Look at Quantum Long Term and Mirae India Opportunities. Personally I like Quantum as they are very people friendly.

HDFC Top 100 is large & midcap. Supposed to be good.

DSPBR Top 100 is large cap. I stopped this SIP as performance has dipped over the past year or two. Suggest you look at ICICI Prudential Focussed Equity which is giving superior returns.

Reliance Regular Savings, I have no idea about. I think it is midcap in which case I suggest ICICI Prudential Discovery or IDFC Premier Equity A.

Mint newspaper's Mint 50 (published every Monday) gives a good idea on where all these funds stand. I buy mostly based on their recommendations. They rate large funds based on a 3/5 year history. All of your funds are in the Mint 50, but other funds are leading within each category.

Please take the effort to invest in direct plans. I have earned slightly more than a thousand rupees just by switching to direct plans.
Old 20th September 2013, 10:34   #461
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTorque View Post
Also you may consider exiting Reliance Regular Saving fund. It was a good fund but in recent times it is under performing. If you are not in urgent need, consider redeeming the funds via SWP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
Reliance Regular Savings, I have no idea about. I think it is midcap in which case I suggest ICICI Prudential Discovery or IDFC Premier Equity A.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@ghodlur; Two of them HDFC and DSPBR are large cap funds from good houses. I will stick with them. I do not know anything about the other funds.
Thanks to all for the tips and suggestions.

Reliance RSF suprisingly was the best performer amongst the lot I have, yielding a returns of 29% till date whereas others are still in range of 10-14%. I am generally wary about ICICI be it their MF or insurance or banking so not thinking about them at this point. Any experience about Canara Robecco funds - their 3 yrs returns on Equity funds are impressive.
Old 20th September 2013, 10:57   #462
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks to all for the tips and suggestions.

Reliance RSF suprisingly was the best performer amongst the lot I have, yielding a returns of 29% till date whereas others are still in range of 10-14%. I am generally wary about ICICI be it their MF or insurance or banking so not thinking about them at this point. Any experience about Canara Robecco funds - their 3 yrs returns on Equity funds are impressive.
Regarding ICICI, I am not surprised. I myself had to overcome all my negative notions about anything related to ICICI to invest in them. Previously in a fit of rage, I had closed all my accounts with them, ULIPs, Savings, Credit cards, almost everything except a couple of home loans. However I am satisfied with their MFs.

Would suggest you look at trailing 3/5 year returns, assuming you plan to hold on for 3 years or more. No point in looking only at how much you made since that is misleading.
Old 20th September 2013, 13:44   #463
BHPian

The last few months have been a roller-coaster ride for stock market.
When the sensex goes below 18K, I am not getting enough courage to invest more.
When the sensex crosses 19.5K, sense of disappointment that could not invest more when it was down :-E

What is the advice for people like me in these markets?

P.S: I don't invest directly in stocks, but invest in mutual funds and have a monthly SIP for small amount (10K)
Old 20th September 2013, 13:57   #464
BANNED

After today's statement by Rajan interest rates are headed up, so the Debt type MF yields will drop.
Old 23rd September 2013, 15:48   #465
BANNED

Now normal status seems to be coming back. Euphoria is over. I do not understand that as to how did they think Rajan will be soft. He was the man whom the liberals specially chose to revile in the US.

The fundamentals are, and were poor.

Most Viewed