Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2015, 19:33   #751
BHPian

Re: The Mutual Funds Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Is there a website that contains the mutual fund related data in its raw form? I mean for all schemes in India
I use https://www.valueresearchonline.com
Old 16th February 2015, 20:11   #752
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbullram View Post
I meant month-wise raw data. All parameters (NAV, Expense Ratio, Return, Fund Mgr change, rank etc.) for the last 10 years on a monthly basis in an excel/spreadsheet form. Since day-wise data exists for mutual funds month-wise would also be there.

What this website has is something that I can't put on excel even if one was to work with yearly numbers. I'd have to extract each fund report and then input the numbers manually, hence asking.
Old 17th February 2015, 08:53   #753

You could try www.freefincal.com. There are a lot of Excel based tools that pull data from these sites into Excel.
Old 17th February 2015, 12:10   #754
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manduks View Post
You could try www.freefincal.com. There are a lot of Excel based tools that pull data from these sites into Excel.
Agree, Mr Pattu has really good articles. The step by step guide to choose equity & debt mutual fund is very informative.
Old 30th March 2015, 14:42   #755
Senior - BHPian

Ever since I started talking about Mutual Funds I've seen two kinds of people.

1. Irrespective of the investment amount, total number of funds they hold at any single time are in single digits only.

2. Multiple funds, at times up to 30, but they say that their risk gets spread out this way. They have funds distributed across Small Cap, Mid Cap, Large Cap, Govt, Debt and what not.

I spoke to a guy who seemed to make maximum sense so far and below was his recommendation for a 5k per month SIP.

ICICI Focused Blue Chip Equity - Growth - INR 2000. (Large Cap Fund)
HDFC Midcap Opportunity - Growth - INR 1000 (Mid Cap Fund)
SBI Pharma 500 - Growth - INR 500 (Sectorial Fund)
ICICI Pru Banking & Financial Services - Growth - INR 500 (Sectorial Fund)
ICICI Pru Balanced - Growth - INR 1000 (Sectorial Fund)

How am I supposed to select what my portfolio should look like? I use Fundsupermart.co.in and it gave me quite a diverse portfolio considering my age, income, risk taking ability, time for investment etc.

I wish to start with a 5k or 10k SIP this April but not whether to stick with just 2-3 funds or have a large variety of funds. Any suggestions?

EDIT: Logic says that if I'm in for 5-7 years why don't I simply select a fund with about 1000+ crore in assets and which has returned more than 15% in the last 5-7 years. I mean I choose a category depending on the time for investment only and simply go with the fund which has the maximum returns in maximum years. What am I missing here?

Last edited by fine69 : 30th March 2015 at 14:45.
Old 30th March 2015, 16:25   #756
BHPian

Quote:

How am I supposed to select what my portfolio should look like? I use Fundsupermart.co.in and it gave me quite a diverse portfolio considering my age, income, risk taking ability, time for investment etc.

EDIT: Logic says that if I'm in for 5-7 years why don't I simply select a fund with about 1000+ crore in assets and which has returned more than 15% in the last 5-7 years. I mean I choose a category depending on the time for investment only and simply go with the fund which has the maximum returns in maximum years. What am I missing here?
If you are looking to stay invested for a long period of time (read 10+ years), Pick a couple of 5* rated large / mid cap funds from valueresearchonline and be done with it. Funds like HDFC Top 200, ICICI Pru Bluechip, Franklin Bluechip etc etc.
Investing in sectoral funds like banking, infra are a big risk and I never do that. This coming from a person who had invested a substantial amount of money in equity and debt mutual funds.
Invest in Direct plans. Open a account directly with the MF company and get online access. Direct plans have less expenses and adds to your returns.
http://capitalmind.in/2015/03/mutual...regular-plans/

Also try to read about debt and liquid mutual funds. They work out better in the long term than bank fixed deposits and you can park your surplus money towards a goal in them.
Old 30th March 2015, 16:34   #757
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by etrast75 View Post
If you are looking to stay invested for a long period of time (read 10+ years), Pick a couple of 5* rated large / mid cap funds from valueresearchonline and be done with it. Funds like HDFC Top 200, ICICI Pru Bluechip, Franklin Bluechip etc etc.
I agree, thanks.
Quote:
Investing in sectoral funds like banking, infra are a big risk and I never do that. This coming from a person who had invested a substantial amount of money in equity and debt mutual funds.
I looked at a couple of top-rated sectoral funds and the 5-year returns are phenomenal. Why wouldn't one want to get in to sectoral funds such as Pharma, FMCG etc.?
Quote:
Invest in Direct plans. Open a account directly with the MF company and get online access. Direct plans have less expenses and adds to your returns.
http://capitalmind.in/2015/03/mutual...regular-plans/
Websites like fundsupermart don't charge me anything for transacting. Does it mean that when I decide to cash out they are going to eat up some commission? That's very surprising!!
Quote:
Also try to read about debt and liquid mutual funds. They work out better in the long term than bank fixed deposits and you can park your surplus money towards a goal in them.
Will do, thanks
Old 30th March 2015, 17:12   #758
BHPian

Quote:
I looked at a couple of top-rated sectoral funds and the 5-year returns are phenomenal. Why wouldn't one want to get in to sectoral funds such as Pharma, FMCG etc.?
The risks of sectoral finds are also higher. When markets fell in 2008 and in 2012, sectoral funds were hit hard. You never know when the sentiment would turn against a particular sector. You will always see more NFOs for sectoral fund during bull markets. Using a NIFTY or SENSEX base,you spread out your risks. Your returns may not be as great as sectoral funds during bull market but your downside will also be contained. Overall non sectoral diversified funds will perform well over a longer term.

Quote:
Websites like fundsupermart don't charge me anything for transacting. Does it mean that when I decide to cash out they are going to eat up some commission? That's very surprising!!

Will do, thanks
These websites will not charge you anything on redemption but they cannot invest in DIRECT funds. Direct finds will give you higher returns than regular funds as the direct funds have lesser expenses. It is a pain to open accounts directly but it is worth it especially if you are investing for the longer term.
Old 31st March 2015, 16:30   #759
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The earlier advantage of debt funds was almost wiped off in 2014 when the Finance Minister changed the definition of Long Term Captial Gains from 1 year to 3 years for these funds.

So, for me the basic purpose of debt funds seems to have been lost now.

I stopped putting in my money in liquid funds after that and do systematic transfer out of that. I still have to pay STCG tax since I cannot wait for 3 years to get money out of liquid funds.

I have a reasonable amount in two debt funds as well (invested in October 2012), hoping that I will withdraw it after a year. Annual return is 11.4 and 9.3%. I will wait till October this year, when I complete three years and get rid of them.
Will pay 20% tax.
Old 1st April 2015, 01:52   #760
BHPian

Quote:
Ever since I started talking about Mutual Funds I've seen two kinds of people.

1. Irrespective of the investment amount, total number of funds they hold at any single time are in single digits only.

2. Multiple funds, at times up to 30, but they say that their risk gets spread out this way. They have funds distributed across Small Cap, Mid Cap, Large Cap, Govt, Debt and what not.
Better to restrict to 5-7 funds in total, otherwise there will be a lot of overlap. For example, most large cap mutual funds invest in the same Nifty 50 stocks.

Quote:
ICICI Focused Blue Chip Equity - Growth - INR 2000. (Large Cap Fund)
HDFC Midcap Opportunity - Growth - INR 1000 (Mid Cap Fund)
SBI Pharma 500 - Growth - INR 500 (Sectorial Fund)
ICICI Pru Banking & Financial Services - Growth - INR 500 (Sectorial Fund)
ICICI Pru Balanced - Growth - INR 1000 (Sectorial Fund)
Two of the above (Pharma & Banking) are thematic funds and I wouldn't recommend a first time investor invest in them unless you have a really strong hunch that they will perform well in the near term as they are extremely cyclical.

Quote:
To judge performance of mutual funds, one should not be looking at annualized returns at all. One should instead be looking at the quartile rating of the fund by month or quarter over say 3 years or above. If a fund is able to stay in the top quartile despite ups and downs, it means that it is a good fund.

Take their disclaimer as the gospel truth: "Past performance is no indicator of future performance".

AUM (Assets under management) or fund size is not that relevant as some small funds easily outrank their peers.

Quote:
Question is whether you believe that these thematic funds will sustain their performance in the future. Lack of diversification in these funds means that when they drop, all of the stocks in the underlying portfolio drop simultaneously.

Quote:
Websites like fundsupermart don't charge me anything for transacting.
But they do get a hefty commission primarily in the form of trail fees. Some 1% per year is paid out to them if you invest in a Regular plan. For this reason, Direct plan is the only way for a serious investor to invest. Call up some smaller mutual funds and they may even send a person over.
Old 1st April 2015, 10:21   #761
BANNED

I have a snapshot from 31 March 2015 and (2014).

You can now see for yourself whether your funds have done better or worse. Also, compare with the old favourite FDR.

Sensex 27957 (22386)
Nifty 8491 (6704)
$ to ₹ 62.54 (59.91)
Old 3rd April 2015, 10:50   #762
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
The earlier advantage of debt funds was almost wiped off in 2014 when the Finance Minister changed the definition of Long Term Captial Gains from 1 year to 3 years for these funds.

So, for me the basic purpose of debt funds seems to have been lost now.
After the retrospective taxation changes, the tax advantages of debt and liquid funds have indeed been wiped out if the period of investment is less than 3 years. But if you plan to stay invested for more than 3 years, the debt funds give you quite a bit of advantage with respect to taxation on capital gains.
The other advantage of debt funds is that you can take out only the amount of money you want which you cannot do in Fixed deposits as you have to break the entire deposit. I always invest my surplus in debt funds. If I need cash immediately, I take only that amount out and get hit with marginal tax rates if less than 3 years. If, I do not need that money and I manage to hold on to them for more than 3 years, the returns are close to 10% post taxation which no FD can match.
I have debt funds which give me close to 12% pa returns right now. Everyone's situation is different though.
TLDR - If you think you will not need all the money you plan to invest in debt funds for 3 years, they are the best choice right now.
Old 10th April 2015, 11:53   #763
Senior - BHPian

Based on the logic similar to that of SIP, why would it NOT be a good idea that someone picks up the top 2-3 funds in 3 or 4 different MF categories. I mean funds with high performance over the last 5-6 years are most likely to continue on the same performance levels. Instead of narrowing down on One MF per category, if someone picks 2-3 funds, by the law of average, the risk gets minimized, or does it not?

EDIT: One more question, valueresearchonline also shows the performance of worst funds and none of the worst funds in equity category (except infrastructure) have a negative return (considering 5 year performance). Does valueresearchonline consider all MFs available in market for such calculation? Is no one actually losing money over a 5 year period?

Last edited by fine69 : 10th April 2015 at 12:00.
Old 10th April 2015, 11:59   #764
BANNED

Quote:
Based on the logic similar to that of SIP, why would it NOT be a good idea that someone picks up the top 2-3 funds in 3 or 4 different MF categories. I mean funds with high performance over the last 5-6 years are most likely to continue on the same performance levels. Instead of narrowing down on One MF per category, if someone picks 2-3 funds, by the law of average, the risk gets minimized, or does it not?
Yes, but then there is the hassle of maintaining three times as many holdings. If you look in the details the portfolios of similar funds are also very similar. The performance changes from time to time. So at the end of the day you do not gain that much over a long term. To me any fund rated 3* or more by ValueResearch is game.
Old 10th April 2015, 14:35   #765
Senior - BHPian

I see a lot of articles and talks around portfolio management. Assuming that I'm going to be invested for a period longer than 5 years, if I choose a large cap blue chip fund, do I really need to keep an eye out for the little ups and downs it goes through? Are there any signals which should make me take my money out?

So far from whatever I've read, if I'm choosing a top-rated large cap blue chip fund and that too for long-term, I should simply forget about it for 5-7 years. I don't know how stock market functions and would probably never be interested in it. Should this stop me from investing in mutual funds?

Most Viewed