Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2016, 17:27   #946
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Mutual Funds Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Thanks for the tips and suggestions. After going through the same I shortlisted following 3

1) ICICI Prudential Focused Bluechip Equity Fund - large cap
2) Mirae Asset Emerging Bluechip Fund - mid cap
3) Franklin India Smaller Companies Fund - small cap

Your views please.
Did SIP online for ICICI and Franklin. Mirae do not take online application for SIP.
Old 12th January 2016, 20:20   #947
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
. As usual, go only for direct plans.
Slight tangent, but I find that an aggregator like fundsindia adds value in being able to manage your entire portfolio in one place and not having to deal with multiple funds houses for things like fatca; Curious to hear your views on this.
Old 12th January 2016, 21:01   #948
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manku View Post
Slight tangent, but I find that an aggregator like fundsindia adds value in being able to manage your entire portfolio in one place and not having to deal with multiple funds houses for things like fatca; Curious to hear your views on this.
As far as viewing my portfolio is concerned, I still enter my data manually on Value Research online despite the fact that CAMS and Karvy do it automatically for all the funds they manage.

For any action such as buy/switch/sell, I login to MF websites individually. Dealing with 3/4 MFs is not a big deal. For FATCA, I just submitted the online form at CAMS and Karvy -- Took all of 5 minutes.

I guess I am old fashioned and extremely wary of financial intermediaries stemming from my experience dealing with stock brokers in the early 90s some of whom delivered me physical stock certificates with fraudulent signatures for which I would receive a rejection letter from the company's transfer agent some 2 months later. For MFs, I prefer to see the holdings on that MF's website.

But to each his own. Nothing against FundsIndia as I haven't dealt with them. Though I should tell you that aggregators make their money from trail commissions on regular plans. Over time, I have found that the difference between direct and regular plans work out to a tidy sum.

Up till now, I have been a DIY investor. But if I need help in future, I agree with Scott Adams of Dilbert fame when he says "Hire a financial planner who charges a flat fee (ONLY)".
Old 12th January 2016, 22:41   #949
BHPian

Please advise. I have been investing (SIP mode) in the following large cap funds since october 2015, scripbox has been my fund manager:
ICICI Prudential Focused Bluechip Equity Fund (G)
UTI Equity Fund (G)
ICICI Prudential Top 100 Fund (G)
Kotak Select Focus Fund (G)

The past 1 week have wiped off all the profits from the above funds, I am little worried about the performance of these funds in future.

Experts, Kindly let me know your opinion. Should I redeem or stay invested?

Other investments of mine:
Debt (Fixed amount since November 2015)
ICICI Corporate Bond Fund- Reg Growth

ELSS (SIP amount since October 2014):
Axis long term equity fund

Equity (Managed by Funds india, SIP amount since December 2015):
Mirae Asset Emerging BlueChip Fund - Regular Growth

Rgds,
Vinod
Old 12th January 2016, 23:03   #950
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
Please advise. I have been investing (SIP mode) in the following large cap funds since october 2015, scripbox has been my fund manager:
UTI Equity Fund (G)

The past 1 week have wiped off all the profits from the above funds, I am little worried about the performance of these funds in future.

Rgds,
Vinod
Honestly, redeeming due to weak performance over just a few months' timeframe is the worst thing you can do. Markets are down globally, with the last few weeks seeing quite a downturn.

Please stay the course, you would've chosen these from a longer term perspective right? Please don't be disheartened by the volatility of a few months. Things will change and markets will recover as well.
Old 13th January 2016, 00:59   #951
BHPian

Quote:
Please advise. I have been investing (SIP mode) in the following large cap funds since october 2015, ...
Basic tenet of Equity MF investing is to stay the course for at least 3 years period, yours is just 4 months at max.
Stay put because its only notional loss right now, if you redeem then you would have realized it and would miss the opportunity to gain back.

In fact, now is the time when you may load up your investment, because you are getting cheaper units.
Old 13th January 2016, 08:01   #952
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parth46 View Post
Please stay the course, you would've chosen these from a longer term perspective right? Please don't be disheartened by the volatility of a few months. Things will change and markets will recover as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepv View Post
In fact, now is the time when you may load up your investment, because you are getting cheaper units.
Thank you all. Do you have find my portfolio OK? All my monthly SIP's are going in equity funds (4 large cap, 1 mid cap), rest all fixed amount parked in bond funds (icici) and elss.

Should I re-balance a few?

Rgds.
Vinod
Old 13th January 2016, 09:23   #953
BHPian

Quote:
UTI Equity Fund (G)
Debt (Fixed amount since November 2015)
ICICI Corporate Bond Fund- Reg Growth
Axis long term equity fund
Mirae Asset Emerging BlueChip Fund - Regular Growth
Firstly, you have invested in too many funds. Unless you know what you are doing, you shouldn't be investing in more than 5.

Secondly, you are top heavy having invested in too many large cap funds. Perhaps you are unaware that in the past 1 year, large caps gave negative returns whereas mid caps gave positive returns. So the reality is that you were not diversified enough and therefore missed making any positive returns on your portfolio.

Thirdly, your portfolio seems to be without any rhyme or reason. You need to decide on your allocation based on your age, income, financial need, etc.

This brings me to a point I missed in response to @manku's post. Robo-advisories are good to get some idea, but the decision to decide on an MF should be your own. Unless you select an MF and know for yourself why you did that, you will generally not have the conviction to tide through a down market. As @deepv hints, you will need to wait out at least 3 years to build a reasonable corpus. Since you only started recently in October 2015 which means you only invested in 3/4 SIPs, you haven't lost as much and it is time you did a serious rethink of your financial plans.
Old 13th January 2016, 09:27   #954
J.Ravi

Just a few minutes back, I switched my entire holdings in Franklin India Bluechip Fund - Direct - Growth to Franklin India Smaller Companies Fund - Direct - Growth as the former depreciated by -7.38%, while the latter appreciated by 22.56% during the same period of one year. Switching does not involve any fees.

Old 13th January 2016, 09:39   #955
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Just a few minutes back, I switched my entire holdings in Franklin India Bluechip Fund - Direct - Growth to Franklin India Smaller Companies Fund - Direct - Growth as the former depreciated by -7.38%, while the latter appreciated by 22.56% during the same period of one year. Switching does not involve any fees.
Yes, but remember these funds are as different as cake and cheese. The former is as the name tells you a Bluechip fund investing only in the top/ largest companies while the latter is a midcap/smallcap fund. The gains will potentially be far higher but so will the risks. I was very fond of the IDFC Premier but after the departure of Andrade it is not doing that well. I hear a new fund manager is imminent.

This is one reason i keep a diversified portfolio, and as my age advances I am becoming more conservative. I have money/debt, Arbitrage, Balanced, foreign investment, etc all in my portfolio. I have quite a few funds but not fund houses.

I hope you are falling foul of the AIR rule, to avoid this invest / switch in tranches of under 2l.

Last edited by sgiitk : 13th January 2016 at 09:43.
Old 13th January 2016, 10:12   #956
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you all. Do you have find my portfolio OK? All my monthly SIP's are going in equity funds (4 large cap, 1 mid cap), rest all fixed amount parked in bond funds (icici) and elss.
In addition to my previous post and seeing that you have equity and debt in your portfolio, you seem to be a prime candidate for a Balanced Fund. Invest in only one for the next 3 years to build a corpus.

Invest in ELSS only if you have no other way to max out your 80C.

Quote:
A bold move. I hope you know what you are doing.

Switching may involve exit load if you have held for less than 1 year. Also, the convenience of a switch should not be the sole reason to invest in a fund from the same house.
Old 13th January 2016, 10:19   #957
J.Ravi

Quote:
Switching may involve exit load if you have held for less than 1 year.
No. This what Franklin Templeton says about switching:

The Mutual Funds Thread-switching.jpg

Source.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 13th January 2016 at 10:22.

Old 13th January 2016, 10:29   #958
BHPian

Quote:
A long time ago, there used to be a Switching Fee which all AMCs have done away with. AFAIK, Franklin is referring to this fee.

In all the funds I invest, there is an Exit Load for redemption usually within a year. This Exit Load applies even in case of a switch from a Regular to a Direct Plan. Also bear in mind that you would be liable to pay tax on Short Term Capital Gains if any.
Old 13th January 2016, 10:30   #959
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I have quite a few funds but not fund houses.
Ditto in my case.
Quote:
I hope you are falling foul of the AIR rule, to avoid this invest / switch in tranches of under 2l.
The amount switched over was a pittance!
Quote:
Exit Load for redemption usually within a year.
Does not apply in my case as it is more than one year.
Quote:
Short Term Capital Gains
Even this does not apply as I have suffered loss on my investment.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 13th January 2016 at 10:35.

Old 13th January 2016, 18:17   #960
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
A long time ago, there used to be a Switching Fee which all AMCs have done away with. AFAIK, Franklin is referring to this fee.
I would second this point, the loads are always applicable (as per fund specs) whenever you move from one fund to another.
The same is the case if you put lumpsum amount in a short term debt fund (or liquid fund) and move money into equity MFs periodically through STP.

Quote:
Does not apply in my case as it is more than one year.

Even this does not apply as I have suffered loss on my investment.
I suppose there were no load concerns for you.
Do note that its not the start of SIP which should be older than a year, any installment that you would have given during last one year would be subject to load/taxation.

Regarding the losses, you have the option of squaring them off w.r.t. gains on other equity MF schemes (if you have any) so that you won't have to pay tax while you had losses.
This could also be carried forward to next few financial years.

Most Viewed