Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2016, 09:45   #1186
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Mutual Funds Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I have been a firm liker of the FI BCF though over the past year it has not done that great in terms of returns. In fact large cap funds have been having a tough time.
Correct, hence they are good picks now. FI's other funds are Mid cap and small cap oriented and have given good returns, they are at all time high. Will be costly to buy them or invest in them. Markets are at good highs, hence correction is evident. As we know traditionally Feb and August are correction months.
Old 18th July 2016, 09:51   #1187
BHPian

For your own sake, I suggest you pay an advisor (who works for a flat-fee and invests in Direct Plans) for investment advice as you seem to be investing based on hearsay and that is not a good sign.

Now would also be a good time to go through the Scheme Information Document of whatever MF you are holding as that has all details about STP, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
If the first investment was in August 2015, then STCG will be applicable if I transfer the units before August 2016 i.e completion of one year.
Yes. Bear in mind STCG is not based on each transaction, but your overall gain/loss during that financial year.

Quote:
I do have the details of exact units allocated every month since August 2015, account statement gives those details. Manually switching every month calls for timing the market, STP saves you that.
If you pick the same date every month to do the switch manually, how would it be timing the market?

Quote:
Thats there. But switching to a new fund means redeeming the units, will have to be shown in the ITR. Instead if I switch within fund house and ensure STCG is not applicable, I dont need to show in ITR. This was told by a CA friend. Dont know how true. STP is a form of redemption, isnt it?
STCG is added to income and taxed at your marginal rate. I have never heard of anyone recording MF transactions in ITR, only ELSS needs to be recorded.

A switch is anyway treated as a redemption and a purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@ghodlur; Many fund houses do not penalise you if you switch within the same type of funds, inside the fund house. However, where STCG is concerned you are bending the rules, and know it.
Which fund house does not charge exit fee on switch? Also I didn't quite understand what you meant by bending the rules.
Old 18th July 2016, 15:22   #1188
Senior - BHPian

@ghodlur:
Whatever you do, it will not impact the FY 2015-16 IT returns, since any money you are making - is only after you do a redemption/ switch (- which would be out of the window of FY 2015-16.) Until then they are just notional/ unrealized gains/ losses.

So, if you are mixing this exercise with your FY 2015-16 IT returns, well, then they are not related.

Now, with that out of the way, if you do SIP for 12 months, then you can redeem the first installment of that SIP - whatever number of units - in the 13th month, and so on each month as long as each redemption (or switch) gets to be 'in' for 12 full months.

If you are not in dire needs of money, then just leave the SIP as it is and start a new one in the fund that you are interested in.

I don't believe the markets are 'high'. FI Small Cap fund is the biggest one in my portfolio and I continue putting in money.

This week I am starting a large SIP in a DSP BR fund as well.
Old 28th July 2016, 11:15   #1189
BHPian

I am seeing lot of online complaints about funsdindia:
http://www.complaintboard.in/complai...a-l200080.html

Though I have ICICI Direct account, I wanted to go for fundsindia as ICICI Direct charges a lot for Mutual fund investments. My question is that is fundsindia reliable enough for their service? Sorry to put an already discussed question again.
Old 28th July 2016, 11:39   #1190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sups View Post

Though I have ICICI Direct account, I wanted to go for fundsindia as ICICI Direct charges a lot for Mutual fund investments. My question is that is fundsindia reliable enough for their service? Sorry to put an already discussed question again.
Have you thought of MF Util? I am funds india investor. Never faced any issues so far but after the launch of MF Util, for investing directly in funds, I got the CAN from MF Util. Now all my new transactions are done with MF Util only.

Yes, it is one time activity of submitting forms that you have to do by visiting Karvy or Cams office to get CAN but after that it is good.
Old 28th July 2016, 11:58   #1191
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Have you thought of MF Util?
That sounds really good. I did not know about MF Util. Thanks a lot. And good to know that your fundsindia experience had been good.
Old 17th August 2016, 11:44   #1192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sups View Post

Funds India is very reliable and good platform for MF transactions. But I would suggest you to go for direct plans which can only be purchased directly from respective mutual fund online, CAMS and MF utility etc. Though I have never used MF utility. Using FundsIndia,Direct online purchase, CAMS actively.
Old 26th August 2016, 10:49   #1193
BHPian

Is a new folio no. generated for each MF house?? Or the folio no. remains same across all MF houses.
Old 26th August 2016, 11:22   #1194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inder View Post
Is a new folio no. generated for each MF house?? Or the folio no. remains same across all MF houses.
Each MF creates a distinct folio.
Old 26th August 2016, 11:27   #1195
Senior - BHPian

Can you suggest a good diversified equity fund with a spread of large and mid-cap? I have a fund in this category which is under-performing..so planning to switch.
Old 26th August 2016, 11:43   #1196
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Can you suggest a good diversified equity fund with a spread of large and mid-cap? I have a fund in this category which is under-performing..so planning to switch.
How long have you had the fund. If less than three to five years, hold on. One which immediately comes to mind is ICICI Pru Dynamic. It has done pretty well. Another is their Value Discovery.

In fact over the past year or two it is the balanced Funds which have done the best.
Old 26th August 2016, 12:03   #1197
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Each AMC or MF house will give you distinct folio numbers. However, if you hold more than one scheme with the same AMC, they can club them all under a single folio number.

Regards.
Old 27th August 2016, 10:09   #1198
BHPian

Ok. So I have decided to put some amount in Birla Sun life Tax Relief 96 - G, direct plan. Have put 75k in Axis long term earlier in July, now investing 75k in BSL.
Old 27th August 2016, 12:26   #1199
BHPian

Quote:
Ok. So I have decided to put some amount in Birla Sun life Tax Relief 96 - G, direct plan. Have put 75k in Axis long term earlier in July, now investing 75k in BSL.
Firstly, are you sure there is nothing else you can show under your 80C limit of ₹1.50 lakh? For instance, EPF or PPF? Or if not, children's education?

Only if you have no other way of extinguishing your 80C limit must you invest in a time-locked investment, I agree though that ELSS is superior to the other investment options in that category.

Secondly, even if you decide to invest in ELSS, you still must think of it as a regular MF which means the right way to invest in it is through SIP.
Old 27th August 2016, 22:23   #1200
BHPian

Quote:
Don't invest as a block. Instead set up an automatic SIP for 12 months, i.e., Rs. 6,300/month. Note that the 3-year lock-in will be completed across 12 months.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks