Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2014, 20:37   #601
BHPian

Re: The Mutual Funds Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Last month sensex was more than 25000 and I was hesitant as well.
Finally took the plunge and invest lump-sum since I had money piling on.

In just one month, the gain is 7% on both those mutual funds.

Probably I just got lucky?
Good for you
Happy and prosperous investing

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazimk24 View Post
Also remember to check out Value Research (valueresearchonline.com) and Morningstar India (www.morningstar.in). They're the best resource on MFs you'll find.
Thanks. Will check out Morningstar. Had not heard of it as I have always invested directly in the market. For the last 2/3 years have been investing for my daughter and so am very keen.
Appreciate the Time IN post.
Last year I heard an analyst(most probably Tekchandani) say the you don't miss the bus as far as buying a scrip is concerned but only when you want to sell it is that you miss it.
Regards

Last edited by faustus77 : 21st July 2014 at 20:41.
Old 22nd July 2014, 10:44   #602
BHPian

Quote:
Also remember to check out Value Research (valueresearchonline.com) and Morningstar India (www.morningstar.in). They're the best resource on MFs you'll find.
Will pay a visit to the sites and check what they have to offer.
Old 25th July 2014, 20:05   #603

Here's a piece I wrote this evening on the issue of taxation for debt MFs. If it helps anyone:

http://www.moneycontrol.com/news/mf-...s_1137587.html
Old 25th July 2014, 22:18   #604
BHPian

Quote:
Here's a piece I wrote this evening on the issue of taxation for debt MFs. If it helps anyone:

http://www.moneycontrol.com/news/mf-...s_1137587.html
The article is well written. The only concern is that the govt can still claim tax arbitrage, and sometime within the next 3 years again change the rules of the game (remove LTCG etc). This is now an unknown and this govt has created an uncertainity in the minds of debt funds investors.
Old 26th July 2014, 05:38   #605

Quote:
Originally Posted by akj123 View Post
The only concern is that the govt can still claim tax arbitrage, and sometime within the next 3 years again change the rules of the game (remove LTCG etc). This is now an unknown and this govt has created an uncertainity in the minds of debt funds investors.
I really doubt that to be the case, given this govt's focus on ensuring a 'stable, conducive and non-adversarial tax regime'. After (rightly) accusing UPA of 'tax terrorism', it will want to avoid making too many hostile tax changes.

That said, I agree with the move to hike the LTCG, though ideally it should've applied only to debt funds, instead of all non-equity funds.
Old 26th July 2014, 09:30   #606
BANNED

Quote:
That said, I agree with the move to hike the LTCG, though ideally it should've applied only to debt funds, instead of all non-equity funds.
Now it has been relaxed for the period up to 6th July. No indexation before three years, but taxed at 10%. Also, I think in the attempt to simplify, they did not want to add another category!
Old 31st July 2014, 16:18   #607
BHPian

Hello, I'm looking to invest some funds for about 6-7 years. After a brief chat with my financial advisor, he asked me to invest in some equity funds and has suggested L&T business cycle fund. Upon going through the fund details I was also pretty impressed.

Does anyone here have any reviews about that particular fund? Or any other suggestions on which funds to go for? I'm not very keen to opt for a debt fund, so mainly looking at medium and high risk funds. Thanks in advance!
Old 31st July 2014, 16:43   #608

Quote:
Originally Posted by 275BHP View Post
Hello, I'm looking to invest some funds for about 6-7 years. After a brief chat with my financial advisor, he asked me to invest in some equity funds and has suggested L&T business cycle fund. Upon going through the fund details I was also pretty impressed.

Does anyone here have any reviews about that particular fund? Or any other suggestions on which funds to go for? I'm not very keen to opt for a debt fund, so mainly looking at medium and high risk funds. Thanks in advance!
I would always suggest not to buy new funds for two reasons -- lack of a track record and hence no insight into its strategy and two, when distributors suggest investing buying into NFOs, many have hidden interests by way of extra incentives offered by fund houses to push such new funds.

A majority of new funds launched during the Great 2007 NFO Rush today have either poor records to show for or have been merged with others, chiefly because funds launched in euphoric times generally try to invest along a certain 'theme' so as to sound appealing. But such 'themes' may not always play out across different market cycles.

Considering investing in a few from among these -- Franklin India Bluechip, HDFC Equity/Top 200, UTI Equity/Dividend Yield, IDFC Premier Equity, Birla Sun Life Front Line Equity, ICICI Prudential Focused Bluechip Equity, DSP BlackRock Top 100/Opportunities, Mirae Asset India Opportunities, Quantum Long-Term Equity.

Most of these have established track records, robust investment processes and good fund managers at the helm.
Old 31st July 2014, 20:29   #609
BHPian

I started a SIP on 'ICICI Value Discovery Fund - Direct Plan'. The fund has a compounded annual return of 25% for the past 5 years. Also, switched the 'ICICI Midcap - Regular Plan' held in ICICIDirect to 'ICICI Midcap - Direct Plan'.

ICICI MF is doing well under CIO Sankaran Naren and he was interviewed in y'day edition of the 'Alpha Managers' in CNBC-TV18
Old 1st August 2014, 07:18   #610
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 275BHP View Post
If any one recommends you to put all money into one instrument that to an NFO, I'm sure he/has has a vested interest.
Moreover L&T's record in the long term hasn't been that great. If you are new to equities invest in Large cap or balanced funds till you get a hang of the market cycles and then get in to small & mid cap funds.
Old 1st August 2014, 12:10   #611
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Now it has been relaxed for the period up to 6th July. No indexation before three years, but taxed at 10%.
I have not understood this. What has been relaxed upto 6th July?
Please also elaborate on the indexation related changes.
Old 1st August 2014, 12:30   #612
Senior - BHPian

I am in a bit of fix.
Some 3-4 years back I had invested in IDFC Sterling equity fund via Sharekhan (where I hold trading and demat account).

Today when I want to redeem, I don't know if the redemption money will be transferred to my bank account or will it get transferred to trading account?

Also I am pretty sure I have not done any kind of the umpteen revisions of KYC imposed on us. Will that affect the redemption process?
Old 1st August 2014, 17:01   #613
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Today when I want to redeem, I don't know if the redemption money will be transferred to my bank account or will it get transferred to trading account?

Also I am pretty sure I have not done any kind of the umpteen revisions of KYC imposed on us. Will that affect the redemption process?
I had a similar issue with Franklin Templeton and what I did was register for their online access. There I could view my fund account but could not redeem / buy new, till I completed updation of KYC manually. Updation of the KYC status by NMDL took a long time. An e-mail / visit to Sharekhan/IDFC should let you know if the payment is linked to a bank or trading account.
Old 1st August 2014, 17:26   #614
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
...Today when I want to redeem, I don't know if the redemption money will be transferred to my bank account or will it get transferred to trading account?...
Isn't the money supposed to go into the bank account (linked to the trading account)? At least that is what happened in my case recently when I redeemed my HDFC MF.

I was shown an option whether to credit into the account or get a cheque. Though I used my ICICI Direct account to redeem, the amount was credited to my ICICI Bank savings account.
Old 2nd August 2014, 00:46   #615
BHPian

A less discussed but very effective way to invest in mutual funds is through Exchange Traded Funds (ETFs) or Index funds.

These funds follow a passive investment approach and just try to mimic their benchmark. The returns you get are very close to the benchmark returns and their expenses are also very low. So for e.g. if the Nifty is the benchmark and it is up x% since you invested, then your profit will also be around x%. If it is down x% since you invested, then your loss will also be around x%. So its as good as you purchasing the basket of stocks comprising the Nifty.

At times, after all the research and brain storming, we still end up selecting an underperforming fund. Passive investing gives a way to avoid the human error.

Most Viewed