Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2016, 09:19   #1021
BHPian

Re: The Mutual Funds Thread

I created a test portfolio with SIP investments on the same date and the same amount for Mirae Asset India Opportunities Fund - Regular Plan and look at the returns.

Looks like it is time to stop investing in Franklin India High Growth Companies and wait and watch.
Attached Images

Last edited by pradkumar : 5th February 2016 at 09:25.
Old 5th February 2016, 10:55   #1022
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradkumar View Post
This is a 5 star fund and has not been downgraded to 4 stars yet, but my instinct tells me to stop investing in this fund.
Pradeep .. I think this should be on the cards if it doesn't start catching up with others.

Quote:
Looks like it is time to stop investing in Franklin India High Growth Companies and wait and watch.
FT-HGC has been under-performing since last 8 to 10 months, its good fund with consistent history but it has fallen more than peers during this downtrend.
Its prudent to wait and watch on this.
Old 5th February 2016, 11:14   #1023
BHPian

Quote:
I created a test portfolio with SIP investments on the same date and the same amount for Mirae Asset India Opportunities Fund - Regular Plan and look at the returns.
IIRC FreeFinCal has an excel sheet for SIPs that does something similar automatically.

Don't know much about the particular fund you are holding, but it seems they took a bad call last year. The fund has a good track record for the last 3/5 years, it is just last year that is a problem.

If one is following the holdings of a mutual fund regularly, it is possible to pinpoint what went wrong and have some idea on the direction of the fund, but then most investors do not do that. Generally I have seen that Franklin and DSPBR are quite aggressive on positions in the market and when they fail, it can be quite spectacular.

It is possible that this particular fund may bounce back, the question is whether you want to be along for the ride which may be quite bumpy. Unlike stocks, there is no point bottom-fishing in mutual funds.

Last edited by nowwhat? : 5th February 2016 at 11:20.
Old 5th February 2016, 11:56   #1024
BHPian

Thank you deepy and nowwhat? for your comments. I will stop investments in Franklin High Growth companies.

Pradeep
Old 5th February 2016, 13:10   #1025
BHPian

Quote:
I will stop investments in Franklin High Growth companies.
Few things I want to add:
  • No matter which multicap fund you invested in, it would have given you a loss. Your investment period (14 months) coincided with a poor run in large cap funds. Investing in MFs requires a stomach for loss especially in the initial years. Once you have some notional gains on a reasonably sized corpus (which will take 3 to 5 years), the ups and downs of the market won't bother you as much.
  • Investing in a multicap fund has its disadvantages. Generally their 5/10 year performance is only slightly higher than large cap funds.
  • Please take the time to research the top performing funds in whatever category you want to invest in rather than taking a brash decision.
Old 5th February 2016, 13:44   #1026
BHPian

Thank you! I do know that you have to stay invested long. I am extremely patient. It is just that this fund gives me the jitters now and I am not exiting the fund, but just not making any more SIPs. I will probably do a switch a year down the line if the fund continues to disappoint.

The sad part: Picked up this fund after some research and it has a much better performance compared to the peers if you consider 5 years. But then as they say past performance doesn't guarantee future returns. As you said, it must because of some bad calls they have taken last year.

Pradeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
Few things I want to add:
  • No matter which multicap fund you invested in, it would have given you a loss. Your investment period (14 months) coincided with a poor run in large cap funds. Investing in MFs requires a stomach for loss especially in the initial years. Once you have some notional gains on a reasonably sized corpus (which will take 3 to 5 years), the ups and downs of the market won't bother you as much.
  • Investing in a multicap fund has its disadvantages. Generally their 5/10 year performance is only slightly higher than large cap funds.
  • Please take the time to research the top performing funds in whatever category you want to invest in rather than taking a brash decision.

Last edited by pradkumar : 5th February 2016 at 13:57.
Old 6th February 2016, 20:22   #1027
BHPian

UPDATE-I created my fundsindia account on 29th of January. They collected my documents on the 3rd of the February. A representative came home and took the papers away. He even came with an extra KYC Form in case I had made a mistake in mine. The papers were received by them on 4th and the New KYC process commenced on 4th. Received a message stating that my account has now been activated. Hope this helps others with timelines.
Old 8th February 2016, 22:50   #1028
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by searacer932 View Post
Any idea how long Funds India take in order to complete the KYC process?

My KYC has been verified. Invested in the following funds via FundsIndia.

1. Birla Sun Life Equity Fund - Growth - Regular Plan
2. ICICI Prudential Focussed Blue Chip - Growth - Regular Plan

Did an initial investment of Rs 5000.00 each via Funds India.

Once my KYC got verified I set up a SIP for fund#1 above directly on the Birla web-site. SIP was for Direct Plan.

But I am unable to do the same for fund#2 as ICICI does not give me an option of choice of my bank. I had given my SCB details to Funds India and ICICI do not support SCB. I will need to speak to them to see what could be done.
Old 9th February 2016, 11:49   #1029
BANNED

@searacer932; We have many investments in ICICI (none 'direct') and get our dividends regularly in SCB, so where is the catch? I will like to know.
Old 9th February 2016, 23:06   #1030
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@searacer932; We have many investments in ICICI (none 'direct') and get our dividends regularly in SCB, so where is the catch? I will like to know.
You can see below. There is no option to choose SCB for auto-debit for online SIP.It looks like I need to follow a separate process if I have to set up SIP through my SCB account. I can do it but proving to be slightly painful!
Attached Thumbnails
The Mutual Funds Thread-icici.jpg  

Old 10th February 2016, 09:02   #1031
BHPian

Quote:
You can see below. There is no option to choose SCB for auto-debit for online SIP.
Didn't realize you were talking about iSIP earlier.

Online SIP is a convenience. Support for it varies from one AMC to another. Some AMCs such as Mirae, Religare Invesco, etc. do not support Online SIPs at all. Others may not support your bank. Quantum only just started supporting Citibank despite it being one of the biggest foreign banks in India.

However all of them support ECS through the banking system. Yes, it is more cumbersome than doing it online, but it is a small price to pay for investing in a quality fund.
Old 15th February 2016, 16:55   #1032
BHPian

Quote:
My KYC has been verified. Invested in the following funds via FundsIndia.

1. Birla Sun Life Equity Fund - Growth - Regular Plan
2. ICICI Prudential Focussed Blue Chip - Growth - Regular Plan

Did an initial investment of Rs 5000.00 each via Funds India.

Once my KYC got verified I set up a SIP for fund#1 above directly on the Birla web-site. SIP was for Direct Plan.

But I am unable to do the same for fund#2 as ICICI does not give me an option of choice of my bank. I had given my SCB details to Funds India and ICICI do not support SCB. I will need to speak to them to see what could be done.
I am little confused on the above - you say that you got the MFs setup in FundsIndia but how are you able to get into a Direct Plan? My understanding is that Direct plan is when you don't go through an intermediatery (like FundsIndia).

Btw, I am thinking of going with Scripbox - any suggestions?
Also, what if you take the suggestions of Scripbox and do your own Direct SIP from the AMC themselves? Won't it be the same? All MFs have exit load of 1% if you go out in 18 months / 24 months so Scripbox's rebalancing idea - I don't get it.
Old 17th February 2016, 20:17   #1033
BHPian

Have fund houses intentionally made online transactions so difficult? All right next noob question-Is there a difference between KYC-Registered New KYC or a KYC verified. I mean is there a kyc-verified status too, or is registered=verified?

please help.
Old 18th February 2016, 20:19   #1034
BHPian

I am new to mutual funds. I have decided to create a mutual fund portfolio and keep adding to it going forward.

After some amateur look-see, I have zeroed on the below 5 funds:

Large cap: Birla Sunlife Frontline Equity Fund
Diversified: Franklin India Prima Plus Fund
Balanced: HDFC Balanced Fund
Mid cap: Mirae Asset Emerging Bluechip Fund
Small cap: DSP Blackrock Micro Cap Fund

I have decided not to hold more than 5 funds at a time. I will be investing for the long term, i.e., for more than 10 years.

Hoping the above choices are good at the present time.
Old 18th February 2016, 21:15   #1035
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by murillo View Post
After some amateur look-see, I have zeroed on the below 5 funds:

Large cap: Birla Sunlife Frontline Equity Fund
Diversified: Franklin India Prima Plus Fund
Balanced: HDFC Balanced Fund
Mid cap: Mirae Asset Emerging Bluechip Fund
Small cap: DSP Blackrock Micro Cap Fund
In Small Cap, I would have chosen 'Franklin Templeton Smaller Companies Fund'. All other find choices are solid!
Keep investing.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks