Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2011, 22:35   #31
BHPian

Re: Need help - An obscene caller stalking a friend

There is also another Android app called Easy Filter which can block calls and SMS. She will not even know when the call comes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hummer.Rulez View Post
They have an advance call manager which blocks the calls and sms's at the switch level (service provider level) and gives a "not reachable" mssg to the unwanted caller. Airtel charges Rs. 30/- per month for this service.
Can this be used to block mass marketing SMSes the sender of which is not identified by mobile number but as TD-, TA-, etc?
Guite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2011, 23:16   #32
BHPian

There are two best ways , in that order.

1. As previously suggested, lodge a phone complaint. No need for a personal visit. Worth a try and in my opinion should work well. Nothing better than when police helps.

2. Tried and tested: but you need a few close friends who are not as law abiding as yourself. The fundamental being the bigger dog always wins.

Do prefer the 1st though.
Old 17th August 2011, 23:38   #33
Senior - BHPian

Please give me his number. will deal with him. i mean seriously.
SirAlec is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th August 2011, 00:12   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
No, she has no idea who he is. And he has called from 3-4 numbers in the past.
See I understand your position here, some options come to my mind
1) Women Helpline - 1091(24 hrs. toll free), 23317002,23317004,23411091. No these people will no ask your friend to come over (tried and tested), she wold just have to give the number and a proof (if any sms is their )and they will make a verification call to the person and ask him to report to the police station. After which the guy would most probably turn his phone off, switch numbers and stop calling.

2) Publish his number here and give that son of a ___ taste of his own medicine. Ask your friends, online buddies to bombard him with calls for the next 15 days, he will switch off / change his number again tested formula

3) Ask all of your friends who are awake at late hours to start calling him after 1 am and keep on calling till 4-5 for somedays, dont let him sleep !!

I honestly would recommend going for option 1
Old 18th August 2011, 00:17   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Please give me his number. will deal with him. i mean seriously.
Most sensible reply so-far in my view , Sir!

Similar situation we had to deal with when someone got hold of my wife's mobile number (I guess it was reliance fresh outlet where she registered for some offer )

One call to him from my phone in police languange and tone (as loud and harsh as possible, hope u got my drif here) and a bit of drama as if it is a station. It helped.
My wife and my child (small baby at that time, did not speak to me for hours after that call. So, do this from a place where none can hear. Locking yourself in a room for this might not be of much help)
Old 18th August 2011, 00:47   #36
Team-BHP Support

If I were you, I would have some fun! I know, it's a serious issue and must be dealt with immediately. But just because the stalker is having his fun, doesn't mean that you're not entitled to either!

Prank him back, and prank him good, I'd say.

The police, to my knowledge at least, are not going to be too concerned about this. These are the sort of situations one must handle oneself.

- Pretend that he owes you money and don't ask for it, DEMAND it.

- Tell him that the person he wants has left for a better place. (with all due respect, Godforbid, no offense)

- Put up his number on some websites.

- Subscribe for marketing calls on his behalf.
Old 18th August 2011, 08:52   #37
BHPian

I was in similar situation 3-4 years ago when this romeo some how got my significant other's number and would ring her more than a couple of times a day everyday. She was in India then and I was in Australia, so I asked my SO for this dude's number and rang him impersonating as a Punjab Police cop from my mobile with my number hidden (In australia & many other countries, you can ring someone without letting them know your number). I spoke to him in verbally explicit punjab police style language. Obviously, it appeared as "blocked number" on his cell display and he fell for it. When I was talking to him I could feel he is literally shaken. He started stuttering and mumbling (No, I am not bragging here). He hung up on me and never turned his phone on (I tried ringing a couple of days later to just check on him).

@ntomer: I wish SirAlec would fix him, if not I am at your disposal. Its been ages since I've given my explicit vocab skills a go and I think this would be a perfect opportunity.

Cheers
Punzabi
Punzabi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2011, 09:27   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
The police, to my knowledge at least, are not going to be too concerned about this. These are the sort of situations one must handle oneself.
With due respect, i disagree on the statement. Police take things seriously, especially when a lady is involved (Atleast in Bangalore and Chennai, this has been my experience).

As stated earlier they may not start with the most stern action possible, and only get there if the need arises. Hence they (in most of the cases) dont register the FIR also (Just make an entry in a register), call the guy and talk in cops language. Then they would ask you to go, taking all the details in the register and will ask you to come back if this happens again. If you go there a second time they usually lodge a FIR and start a little serious investigation.

Needless to add, all this is from my personal experience.
Old 18th August 2011, 09:59   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Pallavi's suggestion is sound: block those numbers permanently. Or save and tag them- my wife gets a "Do Not Answer!" flash when one of these morons calls.

It's more common that you'd imagine and these guys are usually cowards. A calm male voice uttering a carefully placed "police commissioner" should do the trick.
I agree with Pallavi and noopster, you can block the calls and the SMSes but also you must take proactive action and bring it to the notice of the police.

Incidents like this should be reported and if possible the perpetrator booked, it will be a lesson for him in the future. People like this do such vulgar and heinous acts simply for the fun of it, they have no better entertainment. They need to realize that their action have consequences.
Old 18th August 2011, 10:58   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
With due respect, i disagree on the statement. Police take things seriously, especially when a lady is involved (Atleast in Bangalore and Chennai, this has been my experience).
What they do, initially, is register a complaint. They may register a FIR once the complaint has been registered, depending on the seriousness of the issue. However, I've noticed in the past, that if you aren't accompanied by someone who knows the police well enough, it's very hard to get what you want from them. I speak out of experience, as well.

I read in the papers that several cops refuse to take action, even though the victim happens to be a lady. You need to be networked well.
Old 18th August 2011, 11:11   #41
BHPian

Hi,

In my opinion, after the call has been reported to the police, also advise your friend to change her routine timings. Such people usually follow the routine and it wont be hard for them to track her after the call has been reported. If possible, avoiding solo trips to shady places (places with no police, negligible crowd etc) would help.
Old 18th August 2011, 11:49   #42
BANNED

It is so frustrating that some jobless moron can spoil the joy of life. One could really do without all this nonsense. But this is temporary. Toughen up man! You cannot let this guy get away scot free.
Old 18th August 2011, 13:35   #43
BHPian

Ask your friend to record the next conversation, for proof and then go to the police.
Another way to ignore this chap would be put his number onto the call reject option.

I've heard horror stories about when it comes to women's safety in Delhi, just be careful. Why don't you take your friend to the station.

Last edited by chetan : 18th August 2011 at 13:42.
Old 19th August 2011, 18:17   #44
Senior - BHPian

ntomer, i hope the issue stands resolved now
Old 21st August 2011, 23:28   #45
Senior - BHPian

Happened with my Ex who was in an Engg.Coll a couple of years ago, the stalker was harassing her in an utterly down market and lewd language. I tried to warn him by calling him from her no. a couple of times, he wouldn't budge and claimed he had political support and was ready to go to any extent and all sorts of BS. He also claimed that he was a student leader with ABVP and all cr@#. Found out from a few Old Intermediate Classmates that no such leader by his name existed in the Organisation. Tried to forward his no. to a bunch of my friends who bombarded him with calls and SMS'es of sorts, but he would simply switch of his phone at the moment and return to his antics the next Morning.

She was quite frightened for a couple of weeks and was not ready to approach the Police since she was afraid that if the Conservative Family of hers would come to know about it, they would ground her at home. She also prevented me from approaching the Cops and kept saying she would take care of the Issue.

A few weeks later we found out who the person was (happened to be a young acquaintance of a Male friend of hers). Bumped into the stalker friend of hers at a Multiplex Theatre and thankfully he apologize to her immediately after I confronted and threatened to beat him up black and blue infront of the Multiplex Crowd (Created quite a commotion in the Theatre Complex that day), also grabbed his College ID Card took a photo copy of it which carried his cell phone no. with which he used to stalk her and gave him a Stern Warning not to repeat such antics in the future, I made her change her no. immediately after this Incident and that was the last I heard of him.

Last edited by ShortShifter : 21st August 2011 at 23:30.

Most Viewed