Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2011, 08:45   #46
BHPian

Re: Need help - An obscene caller stalking a friend

Both my Samsung phones (17k Samsung wave and 2K Samsung Guru) have this feature built in. They can block calls / SMS from a particular number. This was happening with my significant other too, and I was out of state. Her phone did not have the blocking feature (LG Feature phone) so I just told her to save the no. as "Do not pick" and send the following message
"This message is to inform the receiver that the sender has blocked all calls and SMS from this number on their Samsung Smartphone." Just take care that all of this should be written in absolutely correct english + grammar so it would look like a genuine system generated SMS . So, even though her phone did not have the feature, the stalker felt otherwise and promptly stopped calling / SMSing. She was so impressed with this novel idea that now she has saved this aforementioned message in her templates so she can use it wherever / whenever she feels like somebody is trying to harass her.

The important thing here is that this particular message should look "System generated" And not "Human typed" and must be uniform whenever you send it to anyone. Because you send it to 2 no.s of the same stalker, he is bound to find out the 'novel idea' and get pi$$ed even more even if the difference is of even a punctuation mark.
Old 23rd August 2011, 12:27   #47
BHPian

As the mother of a college going a daughter, I can well understand what the poor girl is going through right now.

Presently, my daughter is being harassed by a guy from a different stream in her own college who constantly follows her around pestering her to take lift in his car. She claims it is a nightmare to be always alert to avoid him. It has reached a limit where she had to be dropped to and picked from college every day. This is what my husband and I have been doing all last week on alternate basis. She is a law student and tried telling him the sections he could be booked under. But apparently this has not deterred him one bit.

The caption by the OP caught my attention some days back, because we were passing through a somewhat similar phase. The problem in this case is that even if we drop and pick her, the guy is in her own college and can trouble her within the premises. We plan to talk to the institution management if things don't get resolved.

Last edited by Sugeeta : 23rd August 2011 at 12:31.
Old 23rd August 2011, 12:42   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugeeta View Post
We plan to talk to the institution management if things don't get resolved.
Any particular reason for not taking this course of action already?!!

Should nip this in the bud ASAP.
WindRide is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2011, 12:57   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
As the mother of a college going a daughter, I can well understand what the poor girl is going through right now.

Presently, my daughter is being harassed by a guy from a different stream in her own college who constantly follows her around pestering her to take lift in his car. She claims it is a nightmare to be always alert to avoid him. It has reached a limit where she had to be dropped to and picked from college every day. This is what my husband and I have been doing all last week on alternate basis. She is a law student and tried telling him the sections he could be booked under. But apparently this has not deterred him one bit.

The caption by the OP caught my attention some days back, because we were passing through a somewhat similar phase. The problem in this case is that even if we drop and pick her, the guy is in her own college and can trouble her within the premises. We plan to talk to the institution management if things don't get resolved.
would suggest doing something as soon as possible, for all the warning signs.
Stalkers have grown new horns, and are more brazen/crazy.
The south campus case still horrifies.
For you and the OP, if you mention stalking, the delhi police would react most definitely.
Dont wait around for him to fade away.
Old 23rd August 2011, 16:51   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We plan to talk to the institution management if things don't get resolved.
As a parent of a daughter myself (but much younger) i can very well understand the situation, but this looks like a case which needs to be taken care off sooner than later. Any reason why cops haven't been been approached yet?

In my case that's what we did in the first instance and it resolved the problem but i am unaware of the situation in Delhi and how supportive the cops are in different states.
Old 23rd August 2011, 16:54   #51
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

If the person has called / SMSed etc, please use this

http://www.delhipolice.nic.in/obscene.jpg
Old 23rd August 2011, 20:29   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is at least a college situation. What does the college management has to say on this.

I am amazed why you have not registered a police complaint in this.

@ ntomer.

Hope your friends' problem is resolved.

Last edited by SirAlec : 23rd August 2011 at 20:30.
Old 23rd August 2011, 22:53   #53
BHPian

As far as I have known, heard and read, these stalkers are basically losers trying to prey upon someone to boost their egos. Waiting for them to change their ways is the last thing that is going to help. It might be a random nutcase that wants to be God for a day or two. Else this is someone known to the person or someone who is close to a known contact of this person.

The stalker knows things about the prey. So the first thing would be to collect all kinds of data about this character.

Once that is through, try to confront him and try to talk sense into him. If that fails, there must be someone known to you who knows someone in the force. Some friend's friend, something like that.

These characters already know the kind of contacts the family has and if they are conservative etc. Do not wait, get info and then take preventive action first, it that does not go well, hit them with everything you got.
Old 23rd August 2011, 23:03   #54
Team-BHP Support

We were in college when my cousin started getting these calls. At least one call a day. Always saying come and meet me here. Different location every time but still close enough to our houses.

My cousin being a curios cat would drag me along. We would go and wait. No one would turn up. Next day again a call, describing us and our outfits and so on.
This went on for close to a week.

My cousin could take it no more. So we went to the police station to log a complaint.
This is pre caller id days.

The constable outside asked us what we wanted. We said we wanted to log a complaint on a stalker.
The inspector overheard us and took us to his room. Heard us out and told us to not worry. They would take care of it. Said go home and tell your sister, we are there and to not worry.
This is when my cousin brother interrupted him. He said he is the victim.

A minute later the inspector started laughing. Then he called the constable and told him that my brother is getting calls from some girl. Instead of enjoying, he is coming to complain. By now I am also laughing. My brother is turning red.
The constable calls other cops. They also start laughing.

We never did find the girl who was calling him.

OP: I do understand that if the victim is a girl the entire thing changes.
But the cops are quite sensitive to this. Do give a call to the helpline.
It really works. A bully is only as powerful as you let him be.
Old 23rd August 2011, 23:14   #55
BHPian

@bblost: she is probably your sister-in-law by now ! Couldn't stop laughing at that though. Hope your bro is not going red over it all again. Ofcourse, its a whole difference scenario if its a girl.

Like you said,
A bully is only as powerful as you let him be.

Just pull the plug on these poor folks!
Old 23rd August 2011, 23:42   #56
BHPian

Post the numbers here each member here can keep calling him at any time of the day and trouble him .
yogi1771 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2011, 23:49   #57
BHPian

ntomer,

A female friend of my mine had a similar problem couple of years ago and she did not want to go to her husband with that problem and asked my help. At that time she was about to leave for US and was very disturbed about it. I immediately called that guy and told him his calls were not appreciated. I did not use any foul language, spoke to the guy politely and told him he is causing trouble to a happily married woman. My friend lives in Karnataka and this guy was calling from some rural district where I did not know any bureaucrat / cop and could not really do much at that time. He stopped calling after that. But then not all stalkers listen to reason.

I will advise against changing numbers / putting the call on blocked list etc. Please take action against this pest. Today it is your friend, tomorrow it could be some other girl.

I still have faith in the system and would go to the cops on the numbers given in their websites and also posted by SS-TRAVELLER in previous pages. I am sure they will take it seriously and also maintain anonymity.

In case that does not happen or if your friend just does not want to go to cops, please let me know. I have friends who are senior IPS / IRS officers / bureaucrats and can help in dealing with the situation without letting her family know.

If you do not wish to do even this, then give the details to SirAlec and leave it to him.

@Sugeeta: Please talk to the college administrators ASAP and lodge a formal complaint. Deal with the situation firmly because you cannot be with your loved one all the time and protect 24*7. Bullies can only bully you so far. Once you bare your fangs, they will run with their tails between their legs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
We were in college when my cousin started getting these calls. At least one call a day. Always saying come and meet me here. Different location every time but still close enough to our houses.

My cousin being a curios cat would drag me along. We would go and wait. No one would turn up. Next day again a call, describing us and our outfits and so on.
This went on for close to a week.

My cousin could take it no more. So we went to the police station to log a complaint.
This is pre caller id days.

The constable outside asked us what we wanted. We said we wanted to log a complaint on a stalker.
The inspector overheard us and took us to his room. Heard us out and told us to not worry. They would take care of it. Said go home and tell your sister, we are there and to not worry.
This is when my cousin brother interrupted him. He said he is the victim.

A minute later the inspector started laughing. Then he called the constable and told him that my brother is getting calls from some girl. Instead of enjoying, he is coming to complain. By now I am also laughing. My brother is turning red.
The constable calls other cops. They also start laughing.

We never did find the girl who was calling him.

OP: I do understand that if the victim is a girl the entire thing changes.
But the cops are quite sensitive to this. Do give a call to the helpline.
It really works. A bully is only as powerful as you let him be.
hahahaha

This is really funny, bblost. Considering you are from my city and if you watch telugu movies, this reminds me of Krishna Vamsi's GULABI where JD Chakravarty is hounded by Maheswari with similar calls.

Last edited by bblost : 23rd August 2011 at 23:56. Reason: back to back. Please use edit when available. Thanks.
NoRules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2011, 13:13   #58
Senior - BHPian

I cannot believe there are so many cases like this. Cops are very understanding about these things and it is very easy also for them to handle. Just a phone call and it will be over.

Regarding the phone, i remember i downloaded an app from OVI store which gave you the option after every call to send the number to the black list or white list. Forgot the name of this app.
Old 30th August 2011, 11:59   #59
Senior - BHPian

I had a similar situation when i used to get harassed by a prank caller at odd hours in the night [after 12AM!]

Since i had a little bit of pull with the operator i wiggled out this guy's name and address from them [which they are not supposed to do] and next time he called, i just said "hello mr.xxxx, i know you are from so and so place, so if you call again i'm sending the cops over to your place for a "friendly" chat! and that was the end of that

i hope you really do get this sorted out.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks