Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2006, 02:12   #1
Team-BHP Support

And our legal system stinks once again . . .

Do not know much about this Jessica Lal case, so went through a couple of articles online, if the speculations have any truth in them, i'm sorry to say our legal system is at it again. Shooting a bartender for a drink??? get a life before taking someone elses.
Only if the accused wasn't some hotshot's son, he would have certainly been sentenced to some harsh treatment.
Corruption, scams and the sorts can once in a while be tolerated as they would not inflict any direct impact, but here we're talking about someone's life . . .
Great that our economy is growing and the deals, but are we as people growing at even half the rate of our economy? To what levels have we stooped down as human beings? Are we just good at making movies like Range de . .

manson.

p.s. this might just be a touchy topic, so mods if you do feel the need to delete the thread, then please go ahead.
Old 23rd February 2006, 02:30   #2
Senior - BHPian

I agree with the legal system stinks part but the fault lies not as much with the legal system as with us : the people. Most of the witnesses turned hostile. The witnesses were not ordinary people but rich and famous and powerful socialites. What choice did the judge have? The cops goofed up with the investigation. Apparently, they could not (or was it did not want to?) find the murder weapon and there is some confusion regarding shots being fired from two separate weapons. But I put the blame on the witnesses. Maybe it's time to listen to Jessica Lal's sister when she says, our legal system relies too much on witnesses. Now what message did this whole thing give to Manu Sharma and countless relatives of policticians? I wouldn't be surprised if he kills someone else soon.
Old 23rd February 2006, 02:49   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit
I agree with the legal system stinks part but the fault lies not as much with the legal system as with us : the people. Most of the witnesses turned hostile. The witnesses were not ordinary people but rich and famous and powerful socialites. What choice did the judge have? The cops goofed up with the investigation. Apparently, they could not (or was it did not want to?) find the murder weapon and there is some confusion regarding shots being fired from two separate weapons. But I put the blame on the witnesses.
one witness was an electrician, another a model turned actor, third i can't recall. well don't you think it would be so simple for the powerhouses of the accused to shoo these witnesses away over a period of 7 years.
that weapon thing seems (stressing on i feel) is all crap, thats where i see a ray of corruption in this case as well.
just another example of our entire system being incapable and being in control of a few powerful corrupt souls, who unfortunately we call ministers of bla bla bla.

manson.
Old 23rd February 2006, 02:54   #4
BHPian

and lets not forget the accused is also charged with murdering the brother of a girl he was having an affair with.

other accused who were let free include Cricketer Yuvraj Singhs father, Son of ex president Shankar dayal sharma and top coke exec's. With the accused having a profiles like this...what chance does a bartender have????
Old 23rd February 2006, 05:42   #5
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritik123
and lets not forget the accused is also charged with murdering the brother of a girl he was having an affair with.

other accused who were let free include Cricketer Yuvraj Singhs father, Son of ex president Shankar dayal sharma and top coke exec's. With the accused having a profiles like this...what chance does a bartender have????
Hey, I wonder who you reffering to as the son of ex president Shankar Dayal Sharma ??

Cheers
Old 23rd February 2006, 06:30   #6
BHPian

The black face of the law and the agencies for enforcing law comes to the fore front. I have long had a strog feeling that the Police has taken the role that the Mafia was infamous of playing in the past. The only difference ebing, they have the legal right and government approved power to do it.

Its just so sad.
Old 23rd February 2006, 07:47   #7
Senior - BHPian

yes, sucks. For one, the law seems too dependent on eyewitnesses - even in black and white cases like these. OTOH, if due process were not followed, there'd be lot of black and white cases created through media manipulation etc. The law isn't so bad, as the investigation/enforcement. Similar to the Guantanamo bay stories, really, except those aren't middle class people (by and large, lots are) where thousands have been kept in torturous custody for five years against the prevailing laws. The guilty getting off is lousy - the innocent being punished is criminal. Power does corrupt.
Old 23rd February 2006, 13:43   #8
Senior - BHPian

ho hum - another normal day at office. whats new ?

I mean what was the meaning of the verdict - as it is the killer was on bail and doing his thing merrily.....all normal he was free 7 years back. this is just a legal stamp on his innocence and freedom.

chalo next....
Old 23rd February 2006, 14:27   #9
Team-BHP Support

Yes it sucks. Why do you think RDB is a dangerous movie? In countries where the law is lured by glitter of gold and threats of force, such movies can actually inspire.
On a side note, imagine if the victims instead of spending lakhs in prosecution just pay a sharpshooter?
Old 23rd February 2006, 14:40   #10
BHPian

Quote:
On a side note, imagine if the victims instead of spending lakhs in prosecution just pay a sharpshooter?
That goes the other way too.... you kill them and they kill you! Looks good in Godfather but can't work in real life!
Old 23rd February 2006, 14:46   #11
Senior - BHPian

Guys, as a lawyer, lemme try and put things a little bit in perspective. I have practised law for over 10 years in Courts in Delhi, and let me tell u one thig....the major part of the blame in this case lies at teh doorstep of the investigating agencies and the public prosecutor. The PP did not petition the court for witness protection and also did not cross examine the accused properly. The cops on their part totally screwed up the investigation.

The accused are rich and influential people and hence could have (and probably did) influenced a lot of things, but if adequate protection was given to witnesses, we may have seen a different scenario. No wonder the witnesses turned hostile!
Old 23rd February 2006, 14:55   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
Why do you think RDB is a dangerous movie? In countries where the law is lured by glitter of gold and threats of force, such movies can actually inspire.
i meant can we only make movies like that, can't once in a while we be inspired by the same and be marginally less corrupt?

manson.
Old 23rd February 2006, 15:04   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson
i meant can we only make movies like that, can't once in a while we be inspired by the same and be marginally less corrupt?

manson.
nice one manson !
Old 23rd February 2006, 16:00   #14
Senior - BHPian

Yes the legal system sucks.... agreed the eyewitnesses turned hostile... but someone has been killed.... since court has acquitted the accused so lets for a moment think he's innocent.... but bloody someone has been killed and its police's duty to bring the criminals to justice.... if not manu sharma then who's it.... bring them to justice!
India Shining.........
Old 23rd February 2006, 16:31   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson
Only if the accused wasn't some hotshot's son, he would have certainly been sentenced to some harsh treatment.
If the accused wasn't a hotshot's son, he would not have the guts to do this! Really sorry to hear the verdict but unfortunately, it was expected after all these years.

Most Viewed