Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2011, 16:10   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: How to ged rid of a rat in the house ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueorchid
That is really inhuman and extremely cruel. Please do not do such things - you may release the rat in some wooded area where it won't get into someone else's house,
It is a pest. As simple as that. Either you let it be (then dont even bother trapping it) or finish the job, instead of dumping the problem on someone else. What wooded area in the city where houses share walls ?

Quote:
or if you do want to kill it, do it in one stroke without making it suffer (drowning, roasting the sun, poison etc)
Drowning would be sort of instantaneous.

Quote:
What are we trying to kill here, Vampires ?
By the inhuman theory, we should not be killing Vampires too, right ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk
@supremebaleno: Evil, man!!!!..........
Not really - just a question of existence. Do we swat the pesky mosquitoes or just guide them outside our home to avoid being inhuman? Don't we remove cobwebs at home and do we spare the spiders ? No. With rats, apart from damaging stuff and eating food, they are also carriers of diseases and I would rather they die than humans suffer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite
A rat in the house is a pest, just like cockroach, mosquitoes, etc. So kill it. That's my opinion.
Exactly.
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2011, 18:12   #17
Senior - BHPian

Simplest way to get rid of a rat is to use multiple traps with different variety of food stuffs. After getting rid of them try to seal the area from where they are entering the house.

PS - Wish I had similar trap for people who create trouble in my life.
Old 9th September 2011, 18:29   #18
Senior - BHPian

I have removed innumerable rats using sticky pads. Not sure if you can easily get them in india.

something like this.

Amazon.com: Catchmaster Mouse & Insect Glue traps "Case of 60": Patio, Lawn & Garden

they get stuck and by morning they are dead from trying to get out. Good part is they are usually found within a couple inches of where you set them, except once when the mouse took it with itself under the cooking range, must have had two feet on glue and two on ground.

Last edited by vivekiny2k : 9th September 2011 at 18:32.
Old 9th September 2011, 18:34   #19
BHPian

Pest control of india is offering a rat trap called trubble gum. It costs only rs 33, it is based on a very sticky adehsive to which the rat will get stuck.

Trubble Gum® - Non-Toxic Glue Traps for Rats & Mice
Old 9th September 2011, 18:35   #20
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

buy a rat trap - one of those simple ones with the spring loaded gate.
warm a mid size piece of coconut over the gas so that it emanates that slightly burnt coconut smell. place this as bait in the trap and keep the trap somewhere where rats generally like to lurk.
if required buy two or three traps and keep them around with this bait in some likely locations.
rats cant resist the smell of slightly burnt coconut.
you're bound to catch at least one or two of the creatures this way.
unless of course your particular rats are used to a higher level of gourmet cuisine or have become genetically too smart to fall for the trap!
dont use this method if you've got pets in the house as the pets can hurt themselves sticking their noses or paws into the trap to get at the coconut.
Old 9th September 2011, 20:03   #21
BHPian

Its a no brainer. If you are a cat person - get a cat. Better still, get a big dog and hunt the rat. Works in my house everytime. My little bugger anyways loves these rat hunts (anything smaller than him and that moves is a potential prey for him).
And its not mandatory that you own the dog, you could borrow 1 from your friends/neighbours. My neighbours have borrowed him in the past to get rid of the rats and it doesn't take him long to find 'em and kill 'em.
Old 9th September 2011, 22:13   #22
BHPian

You can always use chocolate -- I have found that rats like it.

If it is big enough you can use a hockey stick -- I have killed 2 that way.
Old 9th September 2011, 22:43   #23
BHPian

I'm an animal lover, but still i believe killing them is the only real option (unless the intelligent ones were intelligent enough to mind their business at the dustbin only-and not bother with my groceries and wires. would vaccinate and have it as a pet if i find such a rat )

I occasionally have rat problems at the farmhouse located in a moderately populated rural area. Mortien rat kill works fine generally, but some clever ones stay away from it. So i decided to assassinate it myself. put some nuts in a polybag in the hall, and sat about with a book. the rat came, i was alerted by the polybag's ruffling, and took careful aim with my trusty and moderately deadly .22 air rifle. Problemo solved. no suffering involved.
Old 9th September 2011, 23:00   #24
BHPian

I guess in your case you need to buy a pizza ( with extra cheese), throw in some 'heated but not burnt' coconut pieces, probably marinated in some really good red wine. Once he is done seal him on that same box and if you have time gift wrap it ( dont forget that pink ribbon and the note that goes with love, an admirer!) Drop it off at the houses of one of our lovely bluecross saviours. To be more effective, one could add * and * = at the bottom of the note, in tiny font, "Watchout for the camera!" That's one 'adopted' rodent.

P.s : kindly choose the Bluecross member that's farthermost from you for best results!

Maybe we can start a Adopt a rat campaign!
Old 9th September 2011, 23:00   #25
Senior - BHPian

now all these ideas remind me of Mouse Hunt.

Watch it if you want even more ideas
Old 9th September 2011, 23:05   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhawcash View Post
I'm an animal lover, but still i believe killing them is the only real option (unless the intelligent ones were intelligent enough to mind their business at the dustbin only-and not bother with my groceries and wires. would vaccinate and have it as a pet if i find such a rat )

I occasionally have rat problems at the farmhouse located in a moderately populated rural area. Mortien rat kill works fine generally, but some clever ones stay away from it. So i decided to assassinate it myself. put some nuts in a polybag in the hall, and sat about with a book. the rat came, i was alerted by the polybag's ruffling, and took careful aim with my trusty and moderately deadly .22 air rifle. Problemo solved. no suffering involved.
Did you drug them before you hit them with .22? If yes, cong'rats' Team rat sniper! Are they like trophies of the planter days, do you have those rat heads on the wall? Any pictures of you posing post hunt? the leg on the head gun in hand shot? Hmmm What does Type R really stand for? Do we also have a 'I shot the roaches' thread out here?

No offense!

Last edited by YaeJay : 9th September 2011 at 23:12.
Old 10th September 2011, 01:19   #27
BHPian

for some reason when i saw the thread title, i thought:

talk about wrong end of the stick......
Old 10th September 2011, 05:48   #28
Senior - BHPian

I can understand your problem, when we were in Domloor area there was a lot of Rat problems in that area and you would be surprised that the Rat can climb through the pipes going all the way up and can come in from any window or ceiling openings.

You have two options
  • Use Rat kill, which you don't want to do, and if you have kids in the house it is not advisable as well.
  • Do what we did, for a week close with all doors close, i.e. room doors, kitchen doors everything and try to locate his stay are. We did the same for 2-3 days and he got very hungry and started eating the wooden part of the wardrobe making noise for us to figure out his place of stay. Then we closed the room completely and just left the balcony door open giving him an escape route. Started pulling out stuff from the wardrobe slowly and this guy like 10 feet from the top of wardrobe onto the Bed and then onto the floor and runs away from the balcony. Quiet painful because it will disturbe your sleep we did this at night 2 o'clock because only at that time he was making noise.

So take a pick, all the best.
Old 10th September 2011, 06:38   #29
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

not easy to pot the beast with an air rifle. depends on the range. you must be quite a marksman.
personally I would find it easier to lay a baited trap with coconut.
my dogs catch them sometimes - shake them about, finish them off and then leave them alone afterwards.
else i ve found its worth having a cat because the mere presence of a cat in the house deters the rodents from landing up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhawcash View Post
i was alerted by the polybag's ruffling, and took careful aim with my trusty and moderately deadly .22 air rifle. Problemo solved. no suffering involved.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 10th September 2011 at 06:40.
Old 10th September 2011, 10:35   #30
Senior - BHPian

Question: Is it a small rat or one of the huge specimens?

Rats can climb drain pipes, whether or not they are vertical. So it must be entering from some balcony or open window.

The best option would be getting a cat. If you don't want one permanently, try getting a loaner cat from a friend for a few days. I can say from experience that, once the rats know there is a cat in the house, they will not come anywhere near your house.

If getting a cat is not an option, then try the burnt coconut trick. Works every time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinkara View Post
If it is big enough you can use a hockey stick -- I have killed 2 that way.
How did you manage to clear off the mess later on?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks