Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2011, 20:50   #31
Mik
BHPian

Re: Metallica in Delhi October 2011

What a frustrating day!!
First, because of the idiotic organizers, my undelivered couriered ticket which was supposed to be in the ticket counter, was not found.
The call center had assured that showing the printout of the confirmation mail and photo ID would be enough. These nincompoops actually said that i should also get a photo ID photocopy. Imagine the audacity. I actually asked them "bank account nahi khulwaana hai"
Then, after standing in line for 3.5 hours (1 hour at the front banging heads with the ticket counter guys) was i finally given my tickets.
This meant that i missed the formula 1 practice sessions

Then, the stupid crowd broke barricades. This created a serious security issue for Metallica. So even though the official reason was "technical glitch" this was the real reason for the postponement.
To top it all, the stupid organizers didn't have enough police and hardly any proper security around the stage. Don't they know how rowdy Delhi janta can be. People got on stage and damaged equipment. What a shame for NCR.

I wish and pray that such a concert is never held here again. What disrespect for the Gods of Metal - both by the bumbling organizers and a section of the crowd.
Mik is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th October 2011, 20:55   #32
BHPian

So the crowd took the stage apart.

What happened was this, according to a friend who was there on Rs. 2500 tickets.

The scheduled start was 630pm.

At 630 the organisers came on the microphone and announced there was a technical glitch which they were sorting out, and they asked the crowd to be patient.

At 7pm they came and announced they could not sort out the glitch and that the concert would happen at 4pm tomorrow.

At which point (this being Haryana) all hell broke loose.

A lively debate sprung up between two camps, one which was intent on utter destruction of the venue and the other more patriotic and reasonable group, which was pressing the rowdy gang to see reason.

At that point, a young local gentleman came on the mic and said with the bravado and savoir faire that is so typical of 'up here': "kal aa jao, aisi kya baat ho gai - kal chaar baje aa jao, ho jayega" (Leave now and come back tomorrow, don't make a big deal out of it, come back at 4 tomorrow and it'll be on).

Of course, the crowd that was being reasonable till that point lost all their capability to argue (you have to hear people like that speak sometime to understand how blood-curdling that innocuous sentence can be), and bottles of water, fittings and fixtures, some shoes and erstwhile components of the sound system were propelled on to the stage by the crowd.

In the midst of all this two enterprising young men sought compensation by carting off a stage monitor. The police were enjoying their peanuts (no, not that, the peanuts that you peel off a shell to eat) outside the venue and couldn't be bothered. Besides, they would be outnumbered a thousand to one: Discretion is the better part of valour anyway.

So my friends had to trudge back to the office, pick up their car and go home. And hope that Metallica will perform tomorrow, to a crowd of people who tore up the stage they are going to be performing on.

Yeah. Right.
cranky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2011, 21:17   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

low down.
A lot of people banged up the barricades, which ultimately broke.
probably not built for delhi's enthu in haryana!

Now the artists an the stage and public are at risk, so they had to repair the barricades.
people REFUSED to move back to let them come in and make proper repairs.
for 3 bloody whole hours!!!
the roadies kept asking people to move, but no!
finally, the organizers and the roadies surreptitiously moved away the equipment, cos they knew what was going to happen when the eventual announcement was made.

which was made around 620(?).

tomorrow 4 pm.
so the same people who didnt move, now decided to toss bottles etc.
which seems to be the kind of action that say"bhaad mein ja.i dont ever want to see you"

Now, DNA knows delhi and india, so it knows the reactions, but james and company dont.
after the people climbed up on the stage and ransacked it, how would those guys feel about performing?
THINK, PEOPLE!!!

All in all, crowd was expected to get angry, and metallica understandably backed off.
Fully DNA's fault as organizers!!
improper equipment.
and in the latter stages, of a tiny percentage of rowdies in the public!

I am sort of glad, cos the barriers broke up when there was only about 10% of the capacity in the grounds!!
imagine what would have happened if they broke in the throes of passionate banging!!

lets see what happens tomorrow.
losers?
people who came to Delhi from outside.
people who have reached bangalore from outside.
people who have F1 too....:(

Last edited by mayankk : 28th October 2011 at 21:19.
mayankk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2011, 22:06   #34
Senior - BHPian

Thats a shame! I had couple of my friends who called in asking me to get extra tickets in Bangalore after all these things happened in Delhi, they were not sure of whatever happened to get the show cancelled!

I hope everything is planned well for tomorrow and you guys enjoy the deserving treat from the Metallica boys
Old 28th October 2011, 22:50   #35
Mik
BHPian

The show has been cancelled
After chaos today, Metallica cancels Delhi concert

Damn! what a shame. This stays on my bucket list for now
Old 30th October 2011, 11:01   #36
BHPian

my two bits on the concert that never was

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post2561168

And apparently you get your refunds by couriering the tickets and the booking ID to the ticketgenie offices in Bangalore. I wonder why they dont have records of who's paid them what and how much in their accounts.

Sent my tickets today. Now to wait for my refund. And they better not deduct sales tax, VAT or any such nonsense. A though just struck me here- slightly 30,000 tickets sold at Rs 2750 or Rs. 1650 each. That's somewhere in the ballpark of 66,000,000 or about 6.6 crores which were poured into DNA coffers.

Assuming they had all that money in their accounts atleast a week before the event and further assuming that they'll take atleast a week to refund the money, how much interest is generated on 6 crores in 2 weeks?
Old 30th October 2011, 12:21   #37
BHPian

1.5% (3% per month).

About 4.5L. Should be enough to cover bail for the arrested shmucks.
Old 30th October 2011, 18:33   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

NCR is not at all a place to organize shows of any sorts. Every second person here has the mentality of mera baap neta hai. People are totally against any signs of etiquette. And they easily outnumber the handful of good decent genuine fans.

Just see the Auto expo. Every moron there is to eye the models in the most disgusting way possible, pass lewd comments all the time and most carry cameras to click the best pose of those poor girls standing there.
drmohitg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st November 2011, 21:24   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjyamaj View Post
slightly 30,000 tickets sold at Rs 2750 or Rs. 1650 each. That's somewhere in the ballpark of 66,000,000 or about 6.6 crores which were poured into DNA coffers.

Assuming they had all that money in their accounts atleast a week before the event and further assuming that they'll take atleast a week to refund the money, how much interest is generated on 6 crores in 2 weeks?
Normally company will have current/corporate accounts for transaction. Hence there is no interest on deposits, unless they route that to some other accounts.
Old 1st November 2011, 23:47   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Normally company will have current/corporate accounts for transaction. Hence there is no interest on deposits, unless they route that to some other accounts.
however, there's nothing stopping them from diverting the funds to a short term FD. Think of what merchant bankers do during a public offer or an escrow arrangement.

On a slightly related note, to my utter (and pleasant) surprise, I received my refund back in my account this morning. I have no idea how or why. I'm sure that my tickets haven't reached them yet, nor have they processed them. I could be wrong, but maybe it has something to do with using net banking to pay for the tickets instead of a credit card.

Would be interested to know whether anyone else has received their refunds.
Old 2nd November 2011, 10:36   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
NCR is not at all a place to organize shows of any sorts. Every second person here has the mentality of mera baap neta hai. People are totally against any signs of etiquette. And they easily outnumber the handful of good decent genuine fans.

Just see the Auto expo. Every moron there is to eye the models in the most disgusting way possible, pass lewd comments all the time and most carry cameras to click the best pose of those poor girls standing there.
That is not entirely true.
metallica has already been attributed to the organizers ineptitude.
and i now subscribe somewhat to it.
i dont subscribe to the post cancellation damage to expensive equipment, though, but hey, you will get a lot of mindsets in 25000 people.
some will have anger management issues.

But I believe that most everybody over there that day was more or less a fan, whther following the whole discography, or having heard one phrase from the whole of it.
you put a delicate spider web in the path of a lorry, the web will break.
which happened to the barricade.

Why a lot of shows are reluctant to come to delhi/ncr is because of the babudom.
50-60% of the population comes in on "passes".
which do not generate revenue.
which doent pass to the performing outfit
You put a cap on the "passes", you get f1.
you dont, you get auto expo.

I still dont understand the reason why auto manufs follow the hostess principle.
they get more footfalls, yes, but what good are those footfalls?
they come, look at the girls, and walk off.
these people wont be buying the car.
The expo people should logically be interested in the population who comes in to see cars, i would think.
I am telling you, you get rid of the girls, you solve the problem of traffic/congestion/arson from the expo(remember when people threw marbles at the indigo launch?), because a large percentage of the oglers/troublemakers will not be interested!!

otherwise, lets have our mods screen the fellows!

here's hoping a to a revisit by the gods, wherever.
ill travel!

Last edited by mayankk : 2nd November 2011 at 10:38.
Old 2nd November 2011, 10:52   #42
BHPian

Sometime back the Delhi Government was planning to start a SINGLE WINDOW clearance for such shows within Delhi. But it seems, it also got trapped in the red tape.

A news for all the ticket holders: There is an advertisement in the TOI today, the organizers (DNA) are refunding the money. Please refer to the below image (advertisement in TOI):

Metallica in Delhi October 2011-123.png

Cheers!
Irish
Irish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2011, 12:22   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
That is not entirely true.
metallica has already been attributed to the organizers ineptitude.
and i now subscribe somewhat to it.
i dont subscribe to the post cancellation damage to expensive equipment, though, but hey, you will get a lot of mindsets in 25000 people.
some will have anger management issues.
I agree its a failure on the part of the management. But the general attitude of the NCR crown is horrible at best. No body has the patience or the courtesy to take NO for an answer. I don't buy that due to cancellation some people lose there cool. This is just like saying that road rage is justified where the person gets an even bigger shock in terms of damages. Getting angry is good but acting out in the manner that the crowd did just let down our city IMHO.

Ofcourse not everyone is bad. But the proportion of people who think that they are above the law is dangerously high in NCR as compared to other metros.

+100 for your suggestions on the Auto-expo. I can imagine applying for a pass/ticket for the expo 2012 and the mods rejecting it .
But yes they should seriously get rid of those girls. Or atleast cover them up a little more. I do not want to share the comments I have come across during the expo ( you must be very well aware of them too) from good for nothing aashiqs, but some of them get really vulgar.
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks