Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2011, 22:08   #16
BHPian

re: Protecting the car from overhead coconut trees

Coconut tree problem has at least 2 dimensions, one is the coconut falling while the other is the dead leaves falling.
Will the suggested net solution be good for both the problems?
Since this a common problem for the housing society, a permanent solution should be implemented with the acceptance of other members.
Regular cleaning and clearing of the trees using a service contract with an agency can be one while the last option could be to cut down the tree.

HC
Old 23rd September 2011, 23:58   #17
BHPian

I witnessed an incident a couple of years ago where a driver of a Honda City had parked under a coconut tree. He reclined his driver seat and was deep into sleep. A coconut fell on the rear windshield. He was woken up by the loud bang and the first thing he saw was a hole in the rear windshield. He was puzzled, scared, shocked, angry, helpless and all other possible emotions could be seen on his face.
Old 24th September 2011, 12:29   #18
BHPian

In Goa, many of the 5-star hotels with coconut trees have a net fixed at a height of ten feet or so. This catches the odd coconut that falls and avoids injuries to their millionaire guests.
Besides this the trees are regularly, once a month, cleaned and plucked of anything that remotely looks like falling.
Old 24th September 2011, 19:14   #19
BHPian

Pretty much had the same issue at my place and had the blue plastic sheets installed. They definitely help with the coconuts but not the coconut tree branches since they are pretty heavy.

Now I have zinc sheets installed on 4 poles. They are sturdy, durable and also help with keeping the car from heating up in the sun. This ia a little expensive compared to the net or plastic sheet, but it more of a permanent solution which also helps with protecting your car and saving fuel(evaporation due to heat). I'm impressed by he heat rejection/insulation provided by these zinc sheets.

If you live in an apartment it might be cost effective to check with your neighbous and get it done for every slot at the same time since it'll save you some money too.
Old 26th December 2014, 09:09   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Now all the coconut trees have got nets around their neck so that the coconut falls within the net. It does require some maintenance thou.
Could you please point me to any service provider who can provide this in b'lore? I am facing the issue of coconuts falling on cars/people walking around our parking area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andromeda View Post
Now I have zinc sheets installed on 4 poles. They are sturdy, durable and also help with keeping the car from heating up in the sun. This ia a little expensive compared to the net or plastic sheet, but it more of a permanent solution which also helps with protecting your car and saving fuel(evaporation due to heat). I'm impressed by he heat rejection/insulation provided by these zinc sheets.
Would this be fixed onto the neck of the tree? I am looking for something which is onto the tree, like a ring around it. There may not be support available from the ground to hold the sheets. Please provide me pointers any service providers for this coco tree safety net in b'lore.
Old 26th December 2014, 10:25   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Could you please point me to any service provider who can provide this in b'lore? I am facing the issue of coconuts falling on cars/people walking around our parking area.

I will find out and let you know. Person who is in charge is on leave right now.
Old 26th December 2014, 10:46   #22

Hi
You can buy the nets which are available in J C Road - approx. cost INR 2,500 - INR 4,000 based on the size which is typically about 9 sqmts or bigger ones can also be cut and fixed as per need.
cheers
Sunil
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post

Would this be fixed onto the neck of the tree? I am looking for something which is onto the tree, like a ring around it. There may not be support available from the ground to hold the sheets. Please provide me pointers any service providers for this coco tree safety net in b'lore.
Old 20th June 2015, 14:47   #23
BHPian

Re: Bad experience with coconuts

Reviving an old thread. Woke up this morning and to my horror saw this!
Protecting the car from overhead coconut trees-img_0806.jpg
The culprit was lying on the parcel tray. Now the reason for my shock was my parking place is totally covered overhead and I have been parking like this for over 11 years! The coconut could not have fallen directly, the only explanation I find is either it bounced after falling on the ground or the compound wall and hit the windscreen. Nevertheless, took it to the service station and claimed insurance. All this while I have trip planned on Tuesday with the Resort booked. The SA at Volkswagen Mangalore & the insurance company responded quickly and have assured that the vehicle will be ready by Monday noon.
Old 20th June 2015, 15:24   #24
BHPian

Our coconut tree is away from the parking, but we have two fishing nets to catch the coconuts and falling branches. You need two nets to get the correct coverage for a tree that has grown more or less straight.
Old 20th June 2015, 17:46   #25
BHPian

instead of that famous apple that fell, had it been a coconut, would we have known about gravity?
Old 29th October 2015, 00:40   #26
BHPian

Today I only wish I had stumbled upon this thread earlier.

I park on my way to work on a residential street with about 30 parking slots available randomly based on when taxis parked at night decide to leave their spots in the morning.
I drew the short straw today. I got one of the two slots under coconut trees.
Gutted that my just a little over 2 month old Polo bore the brunt.

Car left at VW workshop. Yet to meet SA as it was after work-hours by the time I could manage to get it there.

It is my first windshield crack experience, but aren't they supposed to not result in fine glass shards (should break as cubes)? I suffered a few cuts getting them off. Secondly how does the service center ensure all glass shards are removed. I have fabric seats and just hope a vacuum should do the trick
Attached Thumbnails
Protecting the car from overhead coconut trees-wp_20151028_17_17_13_pro.jpg  

Old 29th October 2015, 07:57   #27
BHPian

A friend had the misfortune of a coconut falling on his Ciaz's windshield, this Sunday :(

Off late, there have been so many instances that I've got to know of-

1) A friend drove back home from the showroom in his brand new Wagon R. Had just stepped in at home when he heard of a loud bam! He rushed to the window only to see that a coconut had fallen on the roof of his hour old car.

2) A coconut shattered the rear glass of an Accord that's owned by a friend

3) A coconut shattered the rear glass of a fluidic Verna that's owned by my manager at work.

4) The Ciaz I mentioned of, above. This friend of mine went to visit a friend of his. Returned, got into the car and there fell the elixir of life from the heavens !

Sighs and a zillion sighs!

Cheerio,
-Shivang Gandotra
Attached Thumbnails
Protecting the car from overhead coconut trees-image.jpeg  

Last edited by MetalBuff : 29th October 2015 at 08:04.
Old 29th October 2015, 08:12   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalBuff View Post
A friend drove back home from the showroom in his brand new Wagon R. Had just stepped in at home when he heard of a loud bam! He rushed to the window only to see that a coconut had fallen on the roof of his hour old car.
That has to be a downer. No one should NOT have to have the feeling their new car is not going to be factory mint on DAY ONE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalBuff View Post
The Ciaz I mentioned of, above. This friend of mine went to visit a friend of his. Returned, got into the car and there fell the elixir of life from the heavens
There seems to be a nice symmetry on the Ciaz. Does really seem like the work of God. I can't say the same about mine http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post3836251 :(
sephiroth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2015, 09:53   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sephiroth View Post
There seems to be a nice symmetry on the Ciaz. Does really seem like the work of God. I can't say the same about mine
. That is one symmetry i wont wish even for a foe

Protecting the car from overhead coconut trees-wp_20151028_17_17_13_pro.jpg

Dude, this one in fact is an act of god or who else ever thought about an inverted shark fin antenna(the dent on the roof that is)?

Cheerio,
-Shivang Gandotra

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 29th October 2015 at 11:21. Reason: Image added
MetalBuff is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2015, 11:54   #30
Senior - BHPian

This is really for one who has parked their beloved car below a coconut tree. I remember a friend's boss who had a Mercedes Benz S class with sun roof. The said car was parked in an open parking lot of a commercial building, suddenly a coconut fell from the tree which was directly above the parked car. The damn coconut shattered the sun roof glass and landed on the centre console thereby damaging both the sun roof and the centre console. My friend told me his boss had to claim insurance in lakhs considering it was a Merc S class.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks