Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2013, 22:23   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Business Ideas -> Turning PASSION for Cars Into KA-CHING!

drmohitg,

Given I know some of how 3M operates and they treat their dealers here in Bangalore, my word of caution for you is to NOT trust the 3M brand and go in a partnership with them. This is, if you meant to consider a detailing centre with them. From my observations and knowledge of them, it is totally not worth it.

Please exercise caution. You were warned
k_ajay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2013, 02:09   #17
BHPian

The weird thing is that sites like carwale and cardekho don't always have the correct features/specs for all the cars even after partnerships and funding.
Old 6th December 2013, 06:06   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
drmohitg,

Given I know some of how 3M operates and they treat their dealers here in Bangalore, my word of caution for you is to NOT trust the 3M brand and go in a partnership with them. This is, if you meant to consider a detailing centre with them. From my observations and knowledge of them, it is totally not worth it.

Please exercise caution. You were warned
Well I have no idea on that but would take your word for it. Anyways I was just discussing that with sameer and not exactly planning to venture into this. The gist of our discussion was on similar lines that since we all share this passion for cars then why not venture into something related to them.
Old 6th December 2013, 06:44   #19
Senior - BHPian

You can come up with a device to increase mileage. Guaranteed to sell !!
Mpower is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th December 2013, 07:46   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
My neighbor's attempting this. He has a company called Carbon Pod. It doesn't directly translate to better efficiency but it's got more to do with the driver and his driving habits. Great concept. Hopefully it takes off. Check out their website if you get a chance
Old 6th December 2013, 08:14   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
There is a potential need of a 3M outlet in Delhi. The first one has come up now in Gurgaon. Delhi being such a huge market will zillions of cars would offer a huge customer base.
Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post

Given I know some of how 3M operates and they treat their dealers here in Bangalore, my word of caution for you is to NOT trust the 3M brand and go in a partnership with them.
Is this a franchising model? What kind of support do you get (or supposed to get) from 3M when you open a detailing center?

Bosch (multi-brand service) and Castrol (Bike Zone) are other such franchising opportunities. Although I read somewhere that Bosch's support for their franchisees was extremely poor.

Quote:
I have invented something called a speed governor, and I expect it to be a blockbuster product. It just won't let the engine spin cross 2000 RPM
Old 6th December 2013, 08:18   #22
Senior - BHPian

@Smartcat,

I am sure the entreprnuerial skills are there in almost all BHPians, its just that they need proper guidance and your thread might just be the link some of the BHPians are looking for.

I for one was fascinated by the idea of opening a car accessories shop in Thane as there is no decent one available in my area. This coupled with basic car requirements such as batteries, WA/WB etc would be an ideal thing to open. All one would need is a good frontal area, decent storage area and work area. But the biggest deterrent IMO is the property price which will eat up a major chunk of investment. Add to that cost of skilled labour and you wished you were born with a silver spoon.

All the best for your adventure.
ghodlur is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th December 2013, 08:57   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
I have invented something called a speed governor
I hope no bus/truck driver in Kerala sees the above line. They'll hunt you down and take revenge for all their miseries

Quote:
Provided the cost of the device is not significantly higher than what you would end up saving in terms of fuel costs. Even if it costs slightly more that what you'll eventually save, there are enough 'aam junta' out there who would jump in and buy it

Last edited by zenren : 6th December 2013 at 09:01.
Old 6th December 2013, 10:18   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Provided the cost of the device is not significantly higher than what you would end up saving in terms of fuel costs. Even if it costs slightly more that what you'll eventually save, there are enough 'aam junta' out there who would jump in and buy it
Lol you could price it at a Lakh and claim a 10% increase in mileage, you would still have people rushing to buy one. When our population pays 2-5 lakhs more for diesel variants of cars when they don't need one, you know that they simply don't do their homework
Old 6th December 2013, 10:30   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Well I have no idea on that but would take your word for it. Anyways I was just discussing that with sameer and not exactly planning to venture into this. The gist of our discussion was on similar lines that since we all share this passion for cars then why not venture into something related to them.
If you really have passion for detailing, get into it independently. But it's no easy job (as you already know) and competition is fierce. Good luck.

Quote:
Is this a franchising model? What kind of support do you get (or supposed to get) from 3M when you open a detailing center?

Bosch (multi-brand service) and Castrol (Bike Zone) are other such franchising opportunities. Although I read somewhere that Bosch's support for their franchisees was extremely poor.
3M car care outlets is indeed franchising model. Forget their support for dealers/franchises, they even harass them with contract clauses that only favour 3M (which you will get in your hand only at the last minute, whilst you're busy doing other things in the excitement of launching a store & a business, thus not noting everything in the contract). Please be careful and save yourselves misery.

What you're supposed to get is the required product materials on time, continuous training on service and new product training etc. and none happens in time or even fair time. Many in Bangalore suffer.

Last edited by k_ajay : 6th December 2013 at 10:33.
k_ajay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2013, 10:35   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
All one would need is a good frontal area, decent storage area and work area. But the biggest deterrent IMO is the property price which will eat up a major chunk of investment
Zero marketing costs would hopefully make up for high rental expenses - because of visibility & frontal area which would result in customer walk-ins.

A web based business might not have such high expenses, but they have to spend money constantly on marketing/visibility. But a web based business is more scalable than opening up a shop.

Quote:
All the best for your adventure.
hehe! Knowing my past history, I'd guess that this adventure will only be in my mind, and nothing on the ground. You see, I have a low threshold for (monetary) pain.
Old 6th December 2013, 12:23   #27
Senior - BHPian

Take a look at 99RPM
They are an online parts store for FIAT cars and you can be guaranteed that there will be lot of business since the spares are not easily available over the counter in your neighborhood.
Similarly, you can start a parts shop for classic cars - I think there will be lot of demand if you can get spares which are not easily available in India.

A similar concept, but branded helmets and riding gear - http://www.spartanprogear.com/

You will get lot of sales if you can get International brands riding gear in India, at resonable rates.

On the same line, you can think about detailing products, Pro Audio brands etc

--Anoop

Last edited by theexperthand : 6th December 2013 at 12:25.
theexperthand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2013, 12:41   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...hehe! Knowing my past history, I'd guess that this adventure will only be in my mind, and nothing on the ground. You see, I have a low threshold for (monetary) pain.
Buds, knowing & reading your t-logs, why don't you try and have something in the tourism / travel sector? You have traveled places and are interested in trekking - may be something on those lines? You can probably work on the marketing side / agency side while tied up with some taxi guys for the rides. This way the investment cost could be minimal too.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 6th December 2013 at 12:42.
Old 6th December 2013, 12:53   #29
BHPian

How about starting a business model where a customer can hire a expert automotive person on hourly basis charges who will in return guide them on buying a used car that suits their budget but most importantly can check the car in and out for the customer.

The reason why it should work is people are open about buying a used car but are very scared of the after sale expenses that they might have to bear in-case they choose a wrong car based only on how it looks outside.

I know of one such incident where a relative of mine took a guy with him to the used car dealership and asked him to choose the best car amongst all of the available cars in the price range of 3-4lakhs. He ended up buying a Toyota Corolla and he is not regretting at all. The guy got paid 3000/- for his services.

Likewise if a proper website is set-up with a team of 2-3 experts, attending 3-4 clients on daily basis is possible.

In fact Google Helpouts is such awesome platform to start with related to the same idea above.

I am not a automotive expert but I would love to do something like managing the site/ marketing etc. if a team is formed.
yashcosmos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2013, 14:37   #30
BHPian

How about an all-encompassing carmall? It will be an entire mall which will have all types of car accessories(interior furnishings,ICE models, GPS, carmats, perfumes etc.), hardware(tyres/tubes, batteries, exhaust, oils, additives etc.), services (car washing, decal fixing, paints, upgrades etc.).
The thing about this is that the entire mall will be full of car accessories only which customers can browse and pick just like any supermarket. Then proceed to the parking area where the fittings can be done or they can fit it on their own outside. Its a grand idea with huge investment but I think something which is needed in large cities.
sukhoi30 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed