Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2011, 21:37   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: 18 tigers, 17 lions killed

Very sad news indeed. And can we please stop saying "exotic animals"!
Should the value of any living being's life be determined by category?!
Jayabusa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2011, 22:07   #32
Senior - BHPian

I am surprised by some of the responses posted over here. While I too feel extremely sad that these Animals had to be gunned down, If anyone I would firstly blame the Sick Owner & then the laws which allow people to keep Wild animals as Private property without proper checks.

As for being Cruel, here is some food for thought - there were around 56 wild animals which were out in open at night, how many tranquilizers would a Sheriff's department would have in stock for these many, not to mention how many would be trained to use them effectively at night?

Quote:
Officers were ordered to kill the animals instead of trying to bring them down with tranquilizers for fear that those hit with darts would escape in the darkness and soon regain consciousness.

Source
Besides they did capture a few of them live.

Besides would you wait for someone to arrange for them to be tranquilized & let these animals attack/kill people or have them killed for the larger safety of the people?

From what I read, it seems this animals were mistreated & were hence hostile towards humans.

Let's not get into Indian examples, people die before authorities take any action.

And lets stay on topic please, if we go by technology then India has nuclear weapon capability yet we cant stop the attacks that keep happening on our soil.

Last edited by Technocrat : 20th October 2011 at 22:11.
Old 20th October 2011, 22:08   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayabusa View Post
Very sad news indeed. And can we please stop saying "exotic animals"!
Should the value of any living being's life be determined by category?!
That question can be better answered by the chickens, fish and lambs of the world.

EDIT: Actually, when I heard 80 or so miles from colombus, my first instinct was to tell my family to keep safe. For the record, I have seen red fox and deer in my backyard....we are close to woods, and it's not unusual for a suburban home. I wouldn't want a big cat to sneak under my deck at night.

Last edited by vivekiny2k : 20th October 2011 at 22:14.
Old 21st October 2011, 12:14   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajands View Post
Here we are shouting save the tiger, save wildlife and this is what USA does, kill them and dont save them.
A pet Tiger is no different from a pet dog. It just cannot be compared to a Wild cat on it's own in it's native habitat.
In India most of the dogs that make it to shelters like Blue cross are abandoned pet dogs, some are breeds that cost half a lakh and above. They are left orphans by owners who get job transfers (or) are simply not interested in raising these pups once they grow big.
But the intake of these shelters is limited and thousands of the left out ones are picked up by Indian City Corporations or Town Municipalities and killed in a cold bold manner.

Humans misusing animals as pets is the same, across developed as well as developing nations.

Last edited by Daewood : 21st October 2011 at 12:17.
Daewood is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2011, 16:09   #35
BHPian

Quoting a comment on the yahoo news item related to this incident:

"Somthing sounds Fishy to me! a Guy opens all the cages then kills himself! so your telling me that all the animals waited to run free until the last cage was open! and then the owner sat down and killed himself! #$%$"
Old 21st October 2011, 18:06   #36
Senior - BHPian

These conspiracy theorists na, I tell you
vivekiny2k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2011, 23:24   #37
Senior - BHPian

if nothing, you need to give credit to ultra fast legislative and judiciary system.

Gov. Kasich To Sign Executive Order On Exotic Animals - Cincinnati News Story - WLWT Cincinnati
Old 22nd October 2011, 01:51   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
If this would have happened in china , they would have shouted from there roof tops about cons of communism.

If this would have happened in any other country in asia and africa, NATO would have declared them a terrorist state and annexed the country.

I would no longer believe in humanity. Atleast it doesn't exist in the americans. They waste tonnes of tissues crying over a certain movie taking chase, but don't think twice before killing these helpless animals. Hypocrisy at its best!

@shankar.balan: don't worry man. There economy is screwed. Its a matter of time now before they bow down to china.
wow i like how this thread immediately turned into another Anti-USA bitchfest. .
Old 22nd October 2011, 08:46   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza View Post
wow i like how this thread immediately turned into another Anti-USA bitchfest. .
Yea its a bitchfest. When you get to know about stuff like this, it really kills a small part of you forever. The world over people are trying to save these majestic animals. You do realise that these are not those plain jane Deers that were run over by a car. Even that should not happen but still.

You can also say that similar stuff can happen in India. It does. We have a lot of smuggling and the likes going on. But for a country like US which never fails to sing the song of rights and democracy and love and peace, this incident is a new low in there double standards. Human life is precious and its above all living forms on the planet no doubt. But it doesn't give us a right to first keep these animals in captivity for some insane logic and then shoot them at sight.

Would we have reacted the same way if this had taken place in India? YES we would. So the sentiments you are seeing here are more of anti robotic humans that we have all seem to become with no feelings about other life forms.

Last edited by drmohitg : 22nd October 2011 at 08:48.
Old 22nd October 2011, 09:13   #40
BHPian

PATHETIC is the only word that comes to my mind !

How can the authorities do such a brutal act ! Just because they are animals and they cant speak for themselves dosent mean that they have to be treated like this !

Seriously where is PETA now ?

How can the authorities give an excuse for killing them as lack of tranquilizers ? If the animals were out on the highway they could have cordened of the traffic !

More over as they were domesticated they were not man eaters and i dont see a reason for tigers to attack unless provoked !

Shameless these authorities have become . What is the point of having so many save tiger , save this save that campaigns when the authorities dont bother about it themselves .

This incident has really left me infuriated and what is even worse is that this act cause because of sheer incompetence of the authorities will be forgotten within a week ... !!
Old 22nd October 2011, 09:28   #41
BHPian

In my view, the problem is with the law of the land.

Had the law in Ohio was clear that no wild animals in people's backyard, this would have never happened these animals would have been alive in some jungle or in some zoo.
Old 22nd October 2011, 20:15   #42
Senior - BHPian

did it occur to any of you that there might have been 18 less tigers in the world if not for this guy? Now he turned rogue but that's a risk with every human being. Anybody can flip out at any point.

Not trying to take sides but private ownership is not necessarily bad for everything sacred. It actually increases accountability and investment.

Public good - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 22nd October 2011, 20:18   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Yea its a bitchfest. When you get to know about stuff like this, it really kills a small part of you forever. The world over people are trying to save these majestic animals. You do realise that these are not those plain jane Deers that were run over by a car. Even that should not happen but still.

You can also say that similar stuff can happen in India. It does. We have a lot of smuggling and the likes going on. But for a country like US which never fails to sing the song of rights and democracy and love and peace, this incident is a new low in there double standards. Human life is precious and its above all living forms on the planet no doubt. But it doesn't give us a right to first keep these animals in captivity for some insane logic and then shoot them at sight.

Would we have reacted the same way if this had taken place in India? YES we would. So the sentiments you are seeing here are more of anti robotic humans that we have all seem to become with no feelings about other life forms.

I am an American and i take offense at your whole "double standards" statement. In fact it is because of the very rights of freedom and democracy that this man was allowed to keep these animals. Granted i am also of the opinion that the state shouldnt have let a mentally unbalanced man keep such animals; i.e they belong in a proper habitat. Unfortunetly the laws in Ohio are lax on this sort of thing. In fact, a tougher law had just expired and the new Governor had not renewed the law. Now put yourself in the shoes of the local law enforcement personnel, who are used to dealing with maybe a deer or mountain lion or two, and not something like a Bengal Tiger roaming around in the backwoods. These animals when they got loose, unfortunetly presented a danger to people and had to be dealt with. I doubt even the local Wildlife service keeps the types of tranquelizers needed to bring down these types of animals safely on hand. How are they supposed to know that these animals arent man eaters?
Old 22nd October 2011, 22:49   #44
BHPian

Wow we got so many bleeding hearts here, maybe because those big cats were not in our backyard. We were not in danger of being killed /mauled. Anybody here has any idea how much big cats can travel in one night. Tracking dozen of cats (Who are out of their comfort zone and perhaps more scared than the people around) is not an easy and if I may say so extremely dangerous task so leaving potential dangerous and may be hungry big cats around while troopers arrange tranquilizer guns is not very wise decision.

Regarding tranquilizers guns, they are not so easily available like your run of the mill air guns at corner Wal-Mart’. They are not some sleeping pills put in a syringe which pussy cat will come and eat. They are not very long range weapons which require trained vets to be around when used.

I don’t think it would have been an easy decision for the guys in command there but I don’t see any other way around. Regarding tigers going extinct, US got more tigers than INDIA. Tiger is not going extinct in zoos or private collections and never will be. Tiger is a prolific breeder which multiplies every 2 year so there will always be tigers in zoos and private collections. If you are so concerned about tigers going extinct then do something about vanishing jungles, contrary to popular belief hunting or even poaching is not the reason for tiger going extinct loss of habitat is. So next time you go to a swanky resort allegedly made on the border of a national park think about the trees which were felled to make your stay comfortable while you think you are doing a service to tiger cause.

-Ij

Last edited by ijeet : 22nd October 2011 at 23:14. Reason: Grammer.
ijeet is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2011, 23:33   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijeet
Wow we got so many bleeding hearts here, maybe because those big cats were not in our backyard. We were not in danger of being killed /mauled. Anybody here has any idea how much big cats can travel in one night. Tracking dozen of cats (Who are out of their comfort zone and perhaps more scared than the people around) is not an easy and if I may say so extremely dangerous task so leaving potential dangerous and may be hungry big cats around while troopers arrange tranquilizer guns is not very wise decision.

Regarding tranquilizers guns, they are not so easily available like your run of the mill air guns at corner Wal-Mart'. They are not some sleeping pills put in a syringe which pussy cat will come and eat. They are not very long range weapons which require trained vets to be around when used.

I don't think it would have been an easy decision for the guys in command there but I don't see any other way around. Regarding tigers going extinct, US got more tigers than INDIA. Tiger is not going extinct in zoos or private collections and never will be. Tiger is a prolific breeder which multiplies every 2 year so there will always be tigers in zoos and private collections. If you are so concerned about tigers going extinct then do something about vanishing jungles, contrary to popular belief hunting or even poaching is not the reason for tiger going extinct loss of habitat is. So next time you go to a swanky resort allegedly made on the border of a national park think about the trees which were felled to make your stay comfortable while you think you are doing a service to tiger cause.

-Ij
Agree with everything you say.
Except for the backhanded opening statement.
Not everyone is action oriented,yes, but it doesnt mean you need to stay quiet.

Most Viewed