Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2011, 20:02   #31
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The Bangalore Metro rail (BMRCL) thread!

After lunch today we planned a metro ride. Reached Byappanahalli station around 4pm. Cars were parked outside the station on Old madras road. The station itself has parking on one side and there were several vehicles parked there. When we went inside the parking lot, we saw several more parked at the back and also the huge parking space beside the station was also filled with vehicles - seemed like half of bangalore's population was there ! There were lots of people lined up all along inside the station and it definitely seemed like a 2+ hour wait so we returned disappointed, will try again during the week, hoping the joy riders would be less then, but again being a festive week nothing can be said.
Old 23rd October 2011, 20:16   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
After lunch today we planned a metro ride. Reached Byappanahalli station around 4pm. Cars were parked outside the station on Old madras road. The station itself has parking on one side and there were several vehicles parked there. When we went inside the parking lot, we saw several more parked at the back and also the huge parking space beside the station was also filled with vehicles - seemed like half of bangalore's population was there ! There were lots of people lined up all along inside the station and it definitely seemed like a 2+ hour wait so we returned disappointed, will try again during the week, hoping the joy riders would be less then, but again being a festive week nothing can be said.
if u want to beat the crowds, hop on at Trinity Station or Hallasuru or even SV Road station.
Old 23rd October 2011, 20:30   #33
BHPian

^^^ +1. Byappanahalli and M.G Road is the most crowded of them all. Since there is no return tickets issued, everyone will get down here and they too need to get the tickets again. So, its either weekday 11-5 or on weekends early morning.

Luckily we did our maiden trip on Friday 10:30 AM, and we got parking at MG Road!
Old 23rd October 2011, 21:28   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
^^^ +1. Byappanahalli and M.G Road is the most crowded of them all. Since there is no return tickets issued, everyone will get down here and they too need to get the tickets again. So, its either weekday 11-5 or on weekends early morning.

Luckily we did our maiden trip on Friday 10:30 AM, and we got parking at MG Road!
I went for a ride yesterday and boy was it busy! The trains were litterally packed to the gills, with everyone pushing and shoving to get inside. The train itself is fantabulous; it reminds me of the Dubai Metro. But the stations are pretty drab and industrial looking; i think they could have done them up in a futuristic, swoopy style . I bought the smart card for a 100 rupees; apparently they are collectibles according to the Airtel Poster i saw in the MG Road station.
Old 24th October 2011, 14:59   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Started taking the Metro to work today. Takes 30-40 minutes longer than it does by bike for me, but that's mainly because the feeder buses are not completely sorted out yet and there really needs to be a pedestrian over bridge at each station.

The reduced stress levels are well worth it! Probably not the best sentiment to express in this forum, but I may even sell my commuter bike (the Pulsar; will keep the Bullet though) and car once the Metro covers most of Bangalore!
Attached Thumbnails
The Bangalore Metro rail (BMRCL) thread!-01_bymetro.jpg  

The Bangalore Metro rail (BMRCL) thread!-02_bybike.jpg  

am1m is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 24th October 2011, 16:30   #36
BHPian

A week before the Metro started operations, I had bought my whole family (including son and his wife who live in BTM) smart cards via BMRCL website. But we didn't travel the Metro due to the enthusiastic crowds!

We live just 5 minutes walk from Byappanahalli Metro Station so we can wait for our turn, no problem.

This morning my wife didn't take her car to work and asked me to drop her off at Indiranagar bus stop which is a major round trip for me as we live on the other side of Old Madras Road. Suddenly I remembered the Metro and that we already had the smart card! How silly of us! Instantly she left, and was on the Metro within 10 minutes of leaving home and reached M G Road just 13 minutes later. She called me from inside the Metro; she was so thrilled, usually this time would be taken just to reach Indiranagar!

Now she doesn't need the car for office at least 3 days a week.

Yes, the Metro is going to make our dear Bangalore less congested and greener!

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Started taking the Metro to work today...
Hilarious! Enjoyed your writing style!
Old 24th October 2011, 16:44   #37
BHPian

Took a joyride on the Metro from Byappanahalli Metro Station to MG Rd and back.
Here is video I shot:

Old 24th October 2011, 17:52   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

It's wonderful that Namma Metro has kicked off and hope that subsequent phases don't take as long as the initial one has.

What is disappointing to me is that the IT sector seems to have been completely overlooked when planning the Metro. The fact that neither Electronics City nor Whitefield/ITPL are covered by the Metro even in subsequent phases (refer map) seems to me a shocking omission. Nor are the areas that IT folks commonly reside in, such as Bannerghata Road, Koramangala, BTM Layout, HSR Layout, the entire Outer Ring Road stretch from Silk Board to Kalyan Nagar, etc.

Name:  bangalore_20metro_20rail_20route_20map.gif
Views: 19826
Size:  44.3 KB

It's a wasted opportunity- that single move would have got the maximum vehicles off the road. The city centre is already well connected by public transport and autorickshaws so putting the Metro in will probably not create as much value as it would have if the other areas had been covered.

In any case, we must count our blessings. Will definitely check the metro out first hand when I visit Bangalore next week.
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2011, 20:22   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
It's wonderful that Namma Metro has kicked off and hope that subsequent phases don't take as long as the initial one has.
==================
Nor are the areas that IT folks commonly reside in, such as Bannerghata Road, Koramangala, BTM Layout, HSR Layout, the entire Outer Ring Road stretch from Silk Board to Kalyan Nagar, etc.
They are planning to include Whitefield/ITPL & Electronics City in Phase 2.
Old 24th October 2011, 20:39   #40
BANNED

Quote:

What is disappointing to me is that the IT sector seems to have been completely overlooked when planning the Metro. The fact that neither Electronics City nor Whitefield/ITPL are covered by the Metro even in subsequent phases (refer map) seems to me a shocking omission. Nor are the areas that IT folks commonly reside in, such as Bannerghata Road, Koramangala, BTM Layout, HSR Layout, the entire Outer Ring Road stretch from Silk Board to Kalyan Nagar, etc.

It's a wasted opportunity- that single move would have got the maximum vehicles off the road. The city centre is already well connected by public transport and autorickshaws so putting the Metro in will probably not create as much value as it would have if the other areas had been covered.
The city still needs de-congesting anyways and hopefully the metro will do the trick. But yes, it hints of a lack of foresight in planning. I don't watch TV or follow the local news - but I am dead certain that after all the noise making and attention grabbing, the news media fails to ask such pertinent questions and its ramifications with what-if scenarios.

Or does anybody recall this question being answered by the Metro planners anytime in the last few years?

It would also have been nice to extend the Metro right in to BIAL. And from BIAL into the IT corridor ( in the latter phases) ... after all its a revenue generating industry for the economy and the state government. This would have made it compete favorably with Pune and other places as a I.T destination for corporates. And also help the city expand outwards to further encourage de-congestion and overcrowding of traditional city spots.

--Ragul

Last edited by Ragul : 24th October 2011 at 20:43.
Old 24th October 2011, 23:29   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

In any case, we must count our blessings. Will definitely check the metro out first hand when I visit Bangalore next week.
Actually its not bad, if some development will happen in non-IT corridor also, people have always complained the other Bangalore (non-IT) is neglected.

IT corridor will anyhow get Metro in 2nd phase.
Old 25th October 2011, 09:24   #42
Senior - BHPian

Today being the 6th day since the metro was opened, is there any change in the traffic congestion on the roads? I know, its too early to say, but it will be good to have a progressive lookout.
Old 26th October 2011, 10:11   #43
BHPian

Did the obligatory metro-riding yday morning. Very spare crowds.

+
1. Good use of natural light to brighten up platforms. Did not see any flourescents being used. Go green!
2. No paper tickets. Use of re-usable coin tickets is again a green initiative. Kudos.
3. Lots of helpful signboards.
4. Courteous staff - though they can go easy on the wide smiles and keep it professional.

-
1. Gap between carriage and platform (2-3 inches) looks dangerous. Small feet can easily slip through while boarding/alighting. Wonder if the platforms were designed for a wider carriage.
2. Carriage is too narrow. Can expect a lot of elbowing and shoving during peak hours.
3. Aluminium seats?!! don't our back-sides deserve a thin line of cushion?
4. I did not see any sign board for wheel-chair availability anywhere. Hope they have made arrangements for the differently abled.

Last edited by WindRide : 26th October 2011 at 10:12.
Old 26th October 2011, 11:19   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
Today being the 6th day since the metro was opened, is there any change in the traffic congestion on the roads? I know, its too early to say, but it will be good to have a progressive lookout.
There wont be much change in traffic, rather i see bit of traffic jams since the metro feeder bus don't have parking place and are parked in the road, so MG road is seeing jams.

And as you see in working days, people taking metro is very less and metro stations were fully empty on Monday.

Only people staying around can take metro, most people using metro will be people using Autos and buses, not many people using bike cars will use. Even if we want to use there is no parking place in any metro station except byapnahalli.
Old 26th October 2011, 13:18   #45
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

After an early morning round of Diwali crackers we set out for our maiden ride on Namma Metro today ! Reached Baiyappanahalli station around 8 am, parked the car and boarded the train after purchasing the metro Varshik travel card for myself, wife and daughter. These cards cost Rs.100 (Rs.50 for the card itself non-refundable and the remaining Rs.50 can be used towards travel), valid for a year and can be extended by paying Rs.20. These cards can be topped up from Rs.50 to Rs.1500 at airtel outlets or any of the metro stations. This is a hassle-free option for frequent travelers. One time trip tokens/coins are also available and the good thing is these are reused since you need to drop them off at the station where you alight/deboard the train. There was hardly any crowd and we boarded the train at 8:11am and alighted at Trinity station on MG Road at 8:23am.
We walked down to Adigas on Dickenson road and after a sumptous breakfast headed for my in-laws place near St. John's road by walk. After spending some time, we headed back to the MG Road station by auto. Now the crowds were just building up. We boarded the train at 10:31am and reached Baiyappanahalli at 10:45am. Nice, comfortable and stress-free ride
When we reached the exit ticket gates, my daughter's card did not work so we had to wait for the officials to help open a glass door beside the ticket gate to let her out. On enquiring why that card did not work we were told it was some temporary glitch and should not happen next time, but I had my own doubts so I asked how we can check the balance. There was a machine right next to the gates so when I checked the balance was in for a shock - my daughter's card showed balance of Rs.25 which was correct since we did 2 trips but my card and my wife's card showed balance of Rs.38 so we were charged only for 1 trip ! I tried explaining the situation to the official there that all 3 cards should have the same Rs.25 balance and he said till the system stabilises these 'rare' situations will occur so in effect we saved Rs.26 thanks to Namma Metro !

Some pictures here:
1. Parking inside Baiyappanahalli Station (Old Mds Rd entrance) - still has gravel, not yet concreted
The Bangalore Metro rail (BMRCL) thread!-1.-campus-parking.jpg

2. Baiyappanahalli Station (Old Mds Rd entrance)
The Bangalore Metro rail (BMRCL) thread!-2.baiyappanahalli-stn-omr-ent.jpg

3. Parking lot beside the Baiyappanahalli Station (Old Mds Rd entrance) - work in progress here
The Bangalore Metro rail (BMRCL) thread!-3.parking-lot-beside-bp-stn-omr-ent2.jpg

4.Parking lot beside the Baiyappanahalli Station (Old Mds Rd entrance) View from inside
The Bangalore Metro rail (BMRCL) thread!-4.parking-lot-beside-bp-stn-omr-ent1-inside-view.jpg

5. Rangoli at Baiyappanahalli Station (Old Mds Rd entrance)
The Bangalore Metro rail (BMRCL) thread!-5.rangoli-bp-stn-omr-ent.jpg

6. Inside the Baiyappanahalli Station (Old Mds Rd entrance) - Escalator
The Bangalore Metro rail (BMRCL) thread!-6.inside-bp-stn-omr-ent-escltr.jpg

7. Inside the Baiyappanahalli Station (Old Mds Rd entrance) - Bridge to the station
The Bangalore Metro rail (BMRCL) thread!-7.inside-bp-stn-bridge-stn.jpg

8. Inside the Baiyappanahalli Station (Old Mds Rd entrance) - Bridge to the station
The Bangalore Metro rail (BMRCL) thread!-8.-bp-stn-bridge-stn2.jpg

9. Inside the train
The Bangalore Metro rail (BMRCL) thread!-9.inside-train.jpg

10. MG Road Station
The Bangalore Metro rail (BMRCL) thread!-10.mg-road-stn.jpg

11. MG Road Station
The Bangalore Metro rail (BMRCL) thread!-11.mg-road-stn2.jpg

12. The bridge across MG Road is ready but no stairs to get onto the bridge from Plaza theater side !
The Bangalore Metro rail (BMRCL) thread!-12.mg-road-stn-plaza-ent-not-ready1.jpg

13. The bridge across MG Road is ready but no stairs to get onto the bridge from Plaza theater side !
The Bangalore Metro rail (BMRCL) thread!-13.mg-road-stn-plaza-ent-not-ready2.jpg

14. MG Road Station
The Bangalore Metro rail (BMRCL) thread!-14.mg-road-stn3.jpg

15. Train arrives at MG Road Station
The Bangalore Metro rail (BMRCL) thread!-15.train-arrives-mg-road-stn.jpg

16. Inside the train - for the return journey
The Bangalore Metro rail (BMRCL) thread!-16.-inside-trainreturn.jpg

17. View of Utility Building
Name:  17.Utility Building.jpg
Views: 3573
Size:  146.3 KB

18. Just in case you didn't know - "Train Terminates here"
The Bangalore Metro rail (BMRCL) thread!-18.-baiyappanahalli-stn-arrival.jpg

19. Metro Feeder buses outside Baiyappanahalli Station (Old Mds Rd entrance)
The Bangalore Metro rail (BMRCL) thread!-19.metro-feeder-buses-outside-bp-stn-omr-ent.jpg

Last edited by NPV : 26th October 2011 at 13:21. Reason: spell check!
NPV is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks