Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2016, 08:09   #106
Senior - BHPian

re: The Bangalore Metro rail (BMRCL) thread!

Did a joy ride to cover the newly opened stretch from Bypl to Mysore road during peak hours yesterday.

Must say, when traffic is getting worse by the day, it was surreal to see the Shell bunk on Mysore road in just 45 minutes all the way from Old Madras road.

The other good sight was that all the trains running towards Mysore road were running packed. I don't think this was the initial crowd who was doing it as a joy ride, these were office goers. I noticed one of the stations towards Mysore road had a big ground as a parking lot.

My take aways;
-People won't mind the crowd due to the duration being less and Air conditioning,
-The rakes and premises are maintained and they still look more or less the same as new,
-My only grouse is the public. It is a mixed crowd and I am glad everyone gets to travel fast and in comfort, but I hope they respect that and don't end up making it like travelling in a local bus or passenger train .

I counted a total of six rakes running end to end, one every 15 minutes.
Old 4th May 2016, 18:37   #107
Senior - BHPian

My friend who went to Whitefield yesterday on a supplier visit was delayed at work. He skipped the taxi at Byappanahalli on his return and took the metro to Vijayanagar. He was very happy to reach Vijayanagar in 35 minutes flat at 35INR in the comfort of airconditioned coach. While his colleagues who took the taxi were in Koramangala when he reached his home in Geleyara Balaga. This definitely speaks of drastic reduction in time.

He mentioned the rakes were packed with office goers even at 2130. With this extension in service, it looks like the metro will be utilised by more people and here to stay. Hope they put the Banashankari line to use soon so more areas get connected and roads can be cleared of some traffic.
Old 9th June 2016, 08:16   #108
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

The Kaveri Tunnel Boring Machine made it's breakthrough at Majestic from Chickpet yesterday. With this, the trials for the North-South line are expected to start in September and the entire line will open for commercial operations on November 1, the Kannada Rajyotsava Day

This will also mean that the entire Phase 1 of the Bangalore Metro (East-West from Byappanahalli-Mysore Road and North-South from Nagasandra to Puttenhalli) will be complete

Source : Phase 1 to be operational by Nov 1
Old 9th June 2016, 09:03   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
The Kaveri Tunnel Boring Machine made it's breakthrough at Majestic from Chickpet yesterday. With this, the trials for the North-South line are expected to start in September and the entire line will open for commercial operations on November 1, the Kannada Rajyotsava Day

This will also mean that the entire Phase 1 of the Bangalore Metro (East-West from Byappanahalli-Mysore Road and North-South from Nagasandra to Puttenhalli) will be complete

Source : Phase 1 to be operational by Nov 1
:thumbup:

Eagerly waiting for this as I travel from JP Nagar 9th phase to Marathalli. Once this starts, planning to take metro till Byappanahalli and public transport thereafter.
Old 9th June 2016, 09:27   #110
BHPian

Latest updates:
http://www.bangaloremirror.com/banga...w/52662459.cms

BMRCL has already set a November deadline to start commercial operations on all reaches of Phase I including the underground stretch. However, it would require three months to complete the trial work, which means the entire stretch of Phase I, having a distance of 42 kilometers, would be operational only after March 2017.
Old 9th June 2016, 22:15   #111
Senior - BHPian

Nice! I really hope they complete atleast one of the lines to get the metro across all stations. Surprised that with the difficulty faced by 4 tbm for about 5 Kms they still plan on having a 13km stretch underground in phase 2? That too the metro leading to electronic city? I feel it would take about 10 years to get this stretch completed.

On a side note do follow Mr Vasant Rao on Twitter. He is very active and takes feedback well.

Maddy
Old 16th June 2016, 16:59   #112
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

After couple of rides on the Byappanahalli-Mysore road purple line I found that doors always open on the left in the elevated stations while they open on the right in the underground stations, except Majestic/Kempegowda (opens on the left - not sure why though) and this was causing some amount of confusion to the first-time commuters as it takes one by surprise.

Also, the access to the metro station for City Railway station is behind the main railway station building almost in the railway colony, does not feel safe due to dim-lit road and quite deserted, and is also a circuitous walk to/from the station. The pedestrian overbridge from inside the station is still being build and may take a few months or even a year!

Last edited by NPV : 16th June 2016 at 17:00.
Old 16th June 2016, 17:04   #113
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
After couple of rides on the Byappanahalli-Mysore road purple line I found that doors always open on the left in the elevated stations while they open on the right in the underground stations, except Majestic/Kempegowda (opens on the left - not sure why though)
Elevated stations - the access from road is from either side of the road.

Underground - they will need to dig up two sides ? Simpler to have one common access for both tracks.

In case of elevated sections, if they been able to provide common access between the tracks, then they would need space in the middle of the road to build the access. Add to this, that auto's and vehicles will then start stopping in the middle of the road. As it is the left sides are pretty much blocked. If the access is in the middle, then we can be looking at continuous jams below each station.
Old 16th June 2016, 17:11   #114
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Elevated stations - the access from road is from either side of the road.

Underground - they will need to dig up two sides ? Simpler to have one common access for both tracks.
Well, not exactly. There are 2 lines/tracks inside the underground sections as well with 2 platforms, just that in the Kempegowda station alone, the train takes the track on the left instead of the one on the right causing the doors to open on left unlike other underground stations where they open on right. Nothing to do with access from the road. If you travel on this section you may relate better to what I'm trying to say.

Last edited by NPV : 16th June 2016 at 17:12.
Old 16th June 2016, 17:13   #115
Distinguished - BHPian

Ok, I have not travelled yet.

But KG station would be an exception due to the space available there ?
Old 16th June 2016, 17:34   #116
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
But KG station would be an exception due to the space available there ?
I don't think so, possibly something to do with the design (maybe some constraint) or just an operational thing due to some pending work, etc just my guess.
Old 1st August 2016, 10:26   #117
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Some more Bangalore Metro news, BMRCL is still sticking to the Nov 1 2016 deadline for the North-South corridor to begin operations. The last tunnel boring machine 'Krishna' is approximately 80m away from making the breakthrough which is expected around last week of August.
Source
Old 1st August 2016, 10:33   #118
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Some more Bangalore Metro news, BMRCL is still sticking to the Nov 1 2016 deadline for the North-South corridor to begin operations. The last tunnel boring machine 'Krishna' is approximately 80m away from making the breakthrough which is expected around last week of August.
Source
Once the boring is complete, they have to lay tracks,electrical stuff , signalling systems and do test runs and then get approval from Railways. Don't think all this can happen in 2 months given the past track record!
Old 1st August 2016, 10:41   #119
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Don't think all this can happen in 2 months given the past track record!
I tend to agree but the point is that BMRCL is still saying Nov 1 is possible , everyone will be happy if that happens so lets see how it pans out!
Old 20th September 2016, 09:13   #120
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Proposed Bangalore Metro routes to KIA and ORR stretch between KR Puram and Silk Board
Good summary there. Personal I feel, the metro and the highway should not be co-located. That helps distribute the density of traffic (rail and road) without over-burdening another. At the same time, it will also fuel development in other areas. For that reason alone I would prefer the Nagwara-Baglur-Airport routing option.

Most Viewed