Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2021, 17:25   #151
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The Bangalore Metro rail (BMRCL) thread!

Green line was to be extended upto Anjanapura in Dec. Any idea of the status of this ?

I see the trial runs still happening there. But not finding any updates regarding throwing open for public use. The road below has been repaired upto Thalghattapura, and the stations painted from outside. The divider below the track is getting fencing and plants. This work is yet to complete towards Anjanapura station, though.

Last edited by condor : 5th January 2021 at 17:43.
Old 5th January 2021, 17:30   #152
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Green line was to be extended upto Anjanapura in Dec. Any idea of the status of this ?
Quote:
The CMRS had conducted a thorough 2-day final inspection of the line between November 18-19 during which a 4 member team inspected the line’s civil structures and passenger facilities on Day-1, and the line’s systems on Day-2 which culminated with a BEML train clocking a maximum speed of 90 kmph on the down-line.
Source - https://themetrorailguy.com/2020/11/...37-conditions/

Quote:
But not finding any updates regarding throwing open for public use.
Realistic estimate for going live, based on past history of BMRCL, anywhere between 3-6 months post CMRS approval. Now with corona etc. they have nobody breathing down their neck to speed up work. They will take their own sweet time to get things up and running. With revenues dropping, I dont think they will be in any hurry.

Last edited by moralfibre : 5th January 2021 at 18:09. Reason: Back to back posts.
procrj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2021, 01:49   #153
Distinguished - BHPian

BMRCL will soon get seven new 6-coach trains manufactured by BEML. These are likely to run on the purple line (Kengeri & Byappanahalli)

https://www.newindianexpress.com/cit...s-2376608.html

The trains have recently completed testing, with loads of upto 360 tonnes, and tested for speeds upto 90 kmph

Last edited by condor : 30th October 2021 at 01:52.
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 15:46   #154
Senior - BHPian

Has Namma Metro resumed selling tokens from counters? It was suspended after the 2020 lockdown, and only people with metro cards were allowed to travel.
Old 19th November 2021, 16:13   #155
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adisan View Post
Has Namma Metro resumed selling tokens from counters? It was suspended after the 2020 lockdown, and only people with metro cards were allowed to travel.
Oh yeah, that's back on for a couple of months now at least.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2021, 10:20   #156
Senior - BHPian

Did travel by purchasing single journey tokens from the ticket counters.
During the journey, a team was penalizing people who were not wearing masks properly.
adisan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2022, 15:36   #157
Distinguished - BHPian

So apparently BMRCL has received a proposal from the Bagmane Tech Park people to build a monorail connecting the tech park at CV Raman Nagar to the SV Road Metro station to solve last mile connectivity issues.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/89374911.cms

Honestly, from this article itself it looks like news created out of nothing. The land between the IT park and the Metro station is mainly defense-related establishments and labs. Not sure how easy or possible land acquisition will be for this supposed monorail.

Why do they always spin the most complicated/expensive/time-consuming/unlikely solution?! The distance is about 2.5km by existing road. Straight line distance ought to be much less. Why not an elevated pedestrian walkway/skywalk? Should be possible at a fraction of the cost/time. With far less disruptions to existing road traffic. Can be covered/enclosed if the defence research establishments have security concerns. And the only land they will have to give up would be for small/medium support pillars I guess. Much easier than a monorail.

And much longer, more complicated skywalks are in existence.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Elevated_Walkway
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minneapolis_Skyway_System

Last edited by am1m : 8th February 2022 at 15:39.
Old 8th February 2022, 15:45   #158
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
So apparently BMRCL has received a proposal from the Bagmane Tech Park people to build a monorail connecting the tech park at CV Raman Nagar to the SV Road Metro station to solve last mile connectivity issues.
Any idea who would fund this project? I dont think Bagmane would fund a considerable portion of the money. BMRCL is asking for 10cr just as access fee. Going by average costs of Mumbai mono rail, I roughly calculated the cost of a 2.5km mono rail to be around 350cr if I got the zeroes right. Doesnt look very high compared to metro but thats when I wonder who actually would pay this much. I dont think the entire Bagmane tech park would be valued at this much.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2022, 16:08   #159
Distinguished - BHPian

Noticed something unusual at the NICE road junction last week.

The Green line which extends upto NICE road /Kanakapura road junction has the track being extended to about 200m after NICE road. I thought it may be a shed/switch-back point. However, noticed that the track is being extended towards NICE road toll booth that allows entry towards Mysore road. (Those familiar with the toll booths here can visualize.

If yes, Wondering why is there a turn in the track there ? If they want to run a track towards Mysore Road, then the connection should have been from the Silk Institute station, going west-wards.
Old 8th February 2022, 16:52   #160
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Any idea who would fund this project? I dont think Bagmane would fund a considerable portion of the money. BMRCL is asking for 10cr just as access fee. Going by average costs of Mumbai mono rail, I roughly calculated the cost of a 2.5km mono rail to be around 350cr if I got the zeroes right. Doesnt look very high compared to metro but thats when I wonder who actually would pay this much. I dont think the entire Bagmane tech park would be valued at this much.
I guess its another project from the public funds.

Isnt it much more economical to run a few dedicated buses to/from Bagmane tech to the station?
m8002? is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2022, 16:56   #161
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Noticed something unusual at the NICE road junction last week.

If yes, Wondering why is there a turn in the track there ? If they want to run a track towards Mysore Road, then the connection should have been from the Silk Institute station, going west-wards.
While I have passed this stretch a couple of times recently, I dont understand where the line deviates from Kanakapura road. Going towards KNP, the line crosses NICE road and then heads on course with the road. I havent noticed piers turning away from the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
Isnt it much more economical to run a few dedicated buses to/from Bagmane tech to the station?
Of course it is. Not sure which brilliant mind came up with this proposal. For an estimated cost of 350cr, they can instead buy a dozen Volvo buses, run shuttle more frequently compared to metro, invest the rest of the crores and fuel the shuttles with the returns on investment. Just my wild guess.

Last edited by audioholic : 8th February 2022 at 17:03.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2022, 17:00   #162
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I dont understand where the line deviates from Kanakapura road. Going towards KNP, the line crosses NICE road and then heads on course with the road. I havent noticed piers turning away from the road.
When did you last go that way ? I do that stretch couple of times a week.

If you are heading into the city, just check at the widest point. The deviation looks to be immediately after this wide section, with couple of piers to your left, in a curved path.

Will get pics later this week when I go next.
Old 8th February 2022, 17:08   #163
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If you are heading into the city, just check at the widest point. The deviation looks to be immediately after this wide section, with couple of piers to your left, in a curved path.
I was last there in early January. Near the Nice road junction where the road towards toll booth would begin, they had a cement yard. If there are piers now in this place then I have missed noticing it. They would probably be a stabling line since apart from National college, there is no other stabling line for the Green line to the south. Hence this would be my guess. However if the main direction of the line is towards KNP as per the pillars, it has to be designed in such a way that there would be a turnout from the main line. But I dont remember seeing a provision for a turnout. Is it possible to mark this on Google maps?

Last edited by audioholic : 8th February 2022 at 17:11.
Old 11th February 2022, 14:52   #164
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Near the Nice road junction where the road towards toll booth would begin, they had a cement yard. If there are piers now in this place then I have missed noticing it.
Took this pic today, just after the wide part of the structures there.

Notice the obliquely placed horizontal box sections, at the top left, and the pillar under construction in the background
The Bangalore Metro rail (BMRCL) thread!-img_5031.jpg

You can see the line on the right going towards the Silk Institute station. The ones on the left are what I am referring to. The pillar in front is the same as seen in the above pic. This pic shows scaffolding for a second pillar. Also, if you look closely, you can spot a brown truck that is on the NICE road, going west-wards.

The Bangalore Metro rail (BMRCL) thread!-img_5032.jpg

Quote:
They would probably be a stabling line ... However if the main direction of the line is towards KNP as per the pillars, it has to be designed in such a way that there would be a turnout from the main line.
The one I am referring to is not a stabling line, since such a line would be right opp to the gate of Silk Institute, where the structure is wide enough already.

Also, the line MAY be extended upto AoL at the most - as per whispers in public domain that Sri Sri is asking for this. Not upto Kanakapura, at least at this time.

Even if there was an extension, a turn out is not needed since the same track can be extended.

Last edited by Aditya : 12th February 2022 at 07:23. Reason: As requested
Old 11th February 2022, 19:27   #165
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The one I am referring to is not a stabling line, since such a line would be right opp to the gate of Silk Institute, where the structure is wide enough already.

Also, the line MAY be extended upto AoL at the most - as per whispers in public domain that Sri Sri is asking for this. Not upto Kanakapura, at least at this time.

Even if there was an extension, a turn out is not needed since the same track can be extended.
Thanks for the pictures. This would be the entrance to the Anjanapura depot which will be constructed soon.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks