Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2011, 19:17   #16
BHPian

Re: How do I receive Doordarshan, the 1980s way?

- Dish = dependent on weather. Extra sun = no signal, extra rain = no signal, bird on dish, no signal. Speaking from my uncle's experience.
- STB = electronic imported junk that mostly dies a couple of weeks after warranty (if a warranty exists that is), speaking from experience of owning a lot of built-to-cost junk, which includes the likes of Thinkpad and Sandisk.
An antenna being a passive device would never fail, it might need a wipe once in a few years.
- Multiple channels = itch for more channels , although I agree the idea of having lot of FTA channels sounds nice.
Old 6th November 2011, 19:38   #17
Senior - BHPian

Based on my personal experience(during childhood), the 1980's way antenna is a {resting ground for birds=lost directions all the time and if you are far away from the DD transmitor or has tall building = poor reception, heavy winds = lost direction, mostly average quality = poor viewability on LCD's} = overall less reliability than the FTA dish.

But yes its cheap and you can still find those with the TV dealers in smaller towns.
dadu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2011, 22:26   #18
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
I am not sure whether all DD channels are available by the terrestrial (antenna) method. What I can say is that I still enjoy watching DD quite a lot (except the awful soaps and reality shows / contests). I especially enjoy watching DD Bharati and both Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha TV apart from reruns like 'Byomkesh Bakshi' on DD National.

DD & AIR are a treasure-trove of old programmes, interviews, documentaries and concerts / recitals of both classical / 'sugam sangeet' / folk music and dance which no private channel can build up.

Agreed I am about to subscribe to cable after a 5 year self imposed ban on TV (besides I've hardly watched TV in the last 10 years) and DD is my hot favorite. I love watching the documentaries of tribals and the way of life in remote communities of our country, or its archaeological marvels, only from DD - the real messenger of our nations cultural wealth.

--G0bble
Old 6th November 2011, 22:53   #19
BHPian

^Oh my ! And why is that so? Why do you want cable tv? It's horrible and horrific, flipping through tons and tons of advertisements, with brainless programming in between, you're better off without it!
Old 6th November 2011, 23:59   #20
Senior - BHPian

@hellmet, how far is your house from the Doordarshan tower? This and any obstruction (read multi-story buildings) would determine the quality of signal you would be able to receive. I have inside info that the transmitters don't run, in fact not even near their rated capacity. So sorry to say, your chances of getting clear signals are very slim.

IMO, with cable TV and now DTH penetration even in slums and the remotest of places, the days of old fashioned transmission are numbered. If you are dead against DTH Why don't you explore the option of something like apple tv or HTPC? Devices which let you watch stuff from internet.

And btw, not all cable tv is horrible and not all DD stuff is good
Old 7th November 2011, 00:00   #21
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
^Oh my ! And why is that so? Why do you want cable tv? It's horrible and horrific, flipping through tons and tons of advertisements, with brainless programming in between, you're better off without it!
DD documentaries and programs NE channel etc ... the occasional movie , sports!

Yes adverts and brainless programming and the ugly noises that emanate from the creators of these programs are going to be a challenge.

--Ragul
Old 7th November 2011, 00:06   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Yes adverts and brainless programming and the ugly noises that emanate from the creators of these programs are going to be a challenge.
No shortage of brainless stuff on DD National either. But you do get the re-runs. For the more interesting cultural stuff, see DD Bharati and LS / RS TV when Parliament is not in session or on weekends. May they are not as slick as History / Fox / Discovery, but at least every travel show is not about backpackers, hikers, tourers and foodies.
architect is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2011, 10:25   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Extra sun = no signal, extra rain = no signal, bird on dish, no signal.
That is the first time i heard that. I have been using DTH for a almost 2 years, yes, heavy rains cause disturbance, but sun??? I dont think so.

Anyways, You can do what I am doing to watch cricket matches played in India which are aired in DD National. Walk into nearest electronics shop and ask for a portable TV antenna. Would cost you no more than 100 bucks. Stick it out of a window where there is no obstruction, run a wire to your TV.

Remember a strange trick. Thinner the wire, Better the quality, dont ask me how. That is how it is.
Old 7th November 2011, 15:29   #24
BHPian

Quote:
However, we're starting to think if getting Doordarshan reception would be a good idea so we could stay in touch with news and national sports. However, the all encompassing Internet didn't have any information about doing so the traditional 'antenna' way.
As you are in Hyderabad, try out Haridas Market/Gujrati Galli at Kothi. You will find the alluminium anteena there for sure. It's the lane exactly opposite to Supreme Music at Kothi. That's one of the biggest electronics market in Hyderabad/Secunderabad. You will find your trusted Doordarshan Anteena there for sure.
Old 25th April 2012, 14:41   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Did you find a indoor TV antenna?
If Yes, where and how much did it cost?

I moved into a new house. Have decided to not subscribe to cable/dth for a couple of months. Sort of an experiment in boredom, some may say.

But I still need an occasional news broadcast.
Old 25th April 2012, 14:46   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Did you find a indoor TV antenna?
If Yes, where and how much did it cost?

I moved into a new house. Have decided to not subscribe to cable/dth for a couple of months. Sort of an experiment in boredom, some may say.

But I still need an occasional news broadcast.
Nope. To be honest, I didn't even try in any brick-mortar shop, call it my laziness I just can't seem to imagine myself going into the congested lanes of Koti. Searched for a few antennas on the internet and found none that looked promising. Thank you for reminding me of this, I'll look for one soon...

If you do manage to find one that works, please do let me know!
Old 25th April 2012, 14:59   #27
BANNED

DD Direct is available via DISH and STB. Thats the best way today afaik.

--Rahul
Old 25th April 2012, 15:07   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
DD Direct is available via DISH and STB. Thats the best way today afaik.

--Rahul
But Rahul, that would mean subscribing to a Dish or Cable provider.

The idea is to be outside that cartel.
Old 25th April 2012, 15:23   #29
Senior - BHPian

I have installed DD direct+ in my farm. There is no subscription and no smart card. There is no compromise on quality either. Coship branded receivers are available in the market.

For news, it is better to trust the web rather than these self-opinionated private news channels.
Old 25th April 2012, 18:51   #30
Senior - BHPian

I believe any conductor (= wire) can act like an antenna.

I had a phone by G5, which had an inbuilt TV, and the only antenna it had was a small metal telescoping antenna (like FM antenna). When it broke I used copper wire, and it worked fine.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks