Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2012, 21:45   #211
BHPian

Re: Reclaiming my life - one day at a time

Updates for this week:

1. Went to GYM on all days! Workout was a mix of Cardio and weights and today did some gruelling abdomen exercises. My GYM schedule is beginning to take more concrete shape and I am feeling very positive about this trend continuing in the future.

2. A part of to-do list was to organize a trip with my friends. Since next week is an extended weekend (Good Friday!), my hostel group has decided to make a short trip to Goa. Travelling arrangements have been made. Accommodation is still to be arranged – I am guessing since now it is off-season I should get a decent hotel. But I would prefer booking it in advance. Another thing remaining is to inform my BOSS that I would not be coming on Friday – I hope he agrees to it.

3. One failure this week was studying for my CFA exam due in June. I could not cover the portion I had planned for this week.
Old 2nd April 2012, 11:47   #212
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Update for last week:
#1 Weight-Control
1. Went for briskWalk-cum-jog on 6 days in the last week.
2. Did not go to office on 2 days because of bad-throat/fever. But went for the brisk-walk even on those 2 days. (Was tempted to skip )
3. Walked up to the 10th floor 6 times during the week.
4. Missed the one hour meditation session on Monday.
5. Post-dinner binging on sweets/deep-fried stuff has reduced noticeably.
6. New bicycle plans have been shelved for 6 months because apparently you don't get anything worthwhile in <10K INR budget and there are other - more pressing - financial priorities because of which would not be able to spend ~23-25K on a Shwinn at this point of time.

#2 Reading
1. Seven habits continue. No teaching since last 2 weeks.
2. "Critical Chain" -> completed 50 more pages this week. Like that book. Anybody who has managed even a single project would be able to instantly relate to the book.

#3 Planned 'core' work
1. Planned 'core' work of around 8 hours this week.

#4 Home-maintenance (neat-clean-tidy)
1. Spent around 5 hours this week cleaning and organizing the home.
2. Saturday was computer-cleaning day. Had not cleaned it for 3-4 months. Opened the desktop, found huge amount of dust inside. Removed the 2 fans, all internal cables and all drives. Cleaned it thoroughly, added a new 1TB HDD as well. Looks good now.
3. Got up early on Sunday and cleaned the huge window of the kid's bedroom. Cleaning all the dirt accumulated in the sliding window channels took more than an hour. My wife and daughter joined me in the cleaning.

Last edited by SDP : 2nd April 2012 at 11:52.
Old 2nd April 2012, 15:18   #213
BHPian

Cycling
Mon, Tue: 60 min (PM)
Wed: Job
Thu: 30 min (AM) & 30 min (PM)
Fri: 30 min
Sat: Family time
Sun: 30 min with added weights to ankles

Food
No exceptions or changes to report.

Book
Adventures of Sherlock Homes - Completed
Seven Habits - Started

Photography & Birdwatching
No updates
Old 8th April 2012, 11:42   #214
BHPian

Excellent thread!

Feel really inspired, would take this opportunity to report my start:

1) Health: Started Yoga. Did 15 mins everyday followed by shavasana for 5. Did all 7 days.
Did 2 evening runs on Treadmill, 3-3.5Kms in about 20-25 mins.
Bought Vibram 5 fingers to try barefoot running, will report how it goes. Do share your experience on barefoot running.

2) Meditation: Chanted for 20 minutes in the morning Mon-Sat after Yoga. Sunday missed it.

2) Reading: Used to read Seven Habits long ago, doesn't help anymore. I like reading and implementing Getting Things Done by David Allen nowadays. Very helpful. Gets me into the zone

3) Spending time with kids: Played with my 4 yr old for 30 mins for 3 times this week. Taught Python programming to my 10 yr old daughter 2 times this week.

Intend to report out every week on Sunday.
Old 8th April 2012, 12:03   #215
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_2006 View Post
Excellent thread!

Feel really inspired, would take this opportunity to report my start:

1) Health: Started Yoga. Did 15 mins everyday followed by shavasana for 5. Did all 7 days.
Did 2 evening runs on Treadmill, 3-3.5Kms in about 20-25 mins.
Bought Vibram 5 fingers to try barefoot running, will report how it goes. Do share your experience on barefoot running.

2) Meditation: Chanted for 20 minutes in the morning Mon-Sat after Yoga. Sunday missed it.

2) Reading: Used to read Seven Habits long ago, doesn't help anymore. I like reading and implementing Getting Things Done by David Allen nowadays. Very helpful. Gets me into the zone

3) Spending time with kids: Played with my 4 yr old for 30 mins for 3 times this week. Taught Python programming to my 10 yr old daughter 2 times this week.

Intend to report out every week on Sunday.
Fantastic! Welcome aboard!
Loved your update about spending time with kids .
Lot of us just assume that we are doing enough on this front.
Old 9th April 2012, 14:13   #216
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Update for last week:
#1 Weight-Control
1. Went for briskWalk-cum-jog on all 7 days in the last week.
2. Walked up to the 10th floor 11 times during the week.
3. Attended an one hour meditation session on Monday.
4. There was an advanced course of Art Of Living from 5-8 Apr. Somehow got the intimation just 2 days in advance and did not participate.

#2 Reading
1. Seven habits continue.
2. "Critical Chain" -> completed 15-20 more pages this week. Have to take notes.
3. Started with '4 disciplines of execution' by Stephen Covey.

#3 Planned 'core' work
1. Planned 'core' work of around 10 hours this week.
2. Its the begining of the new financial year and a good time to align your team and set the goals for them. Spent a lot of time last week to reduce the laundry list of goals to a small list of easy-to-remember goals.

1. Spent around 5 hours this week cleaning and organizing the home.
2. Papers and files - Had a couple of shelfs from the wardrobe filled with those. Was avoiding organizing it, as I knew, its eaily a full-day job. My sis wanted a couple of documents and so finally I needed to jump into the pit on a working day itself. Surprisingly, around 3 hours after reaching home was good enough to get the mess in a decent shape.
3. Slowly a habit seems to be forming where I pickup a duster or a scrub-pad whenever I have some spare time. Earlier it used to be facebook or tbhp even during a 10 minute break . Earlier my desktop used to be ON for 24 hrs, and it was a matter of 2 seconds to switch on the monitor to start a surfing session. Now I have started shutting down the comp completely after each use. The booting time acts a deterent for the pointless surfing sessions. No regrets either. On the contrary feels nice to live in a cleaner place.
4. Not sure if it would qualify under this heading, but got my son's bicycle cleaned and repaired sometime last week. Removed the training wheels as well. Have asked him to clean the bike after each use. Hopefully he forms that habit soon.
5. Cleaned up a few shutters of our modular kitchen. Wifey did not take the hint . That's ok, I will find some time to finish the rest.

Last edited by SDP : 9th April 2012 at 14:26.
Old 9th April 2012, 21:30   #217
BHPian

Weight Management, Book, Photography & Birding: 0 minutes clocked
Food: was no good either.

Thanks to Job, Fever & a general Fatigue may be even lazyness.

Only good thing rather great thing that cameout of last week was some exposure to offroading and presence at an offroading event here and most importantly meeting fellow TBHPians for the first time. And yes offroading is one of my interest and thinking about starting it.

Hope this week goes well on the plans.
Old 9th April 2012, 22:23   #218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitkumarlb View Post
Weight Management, Book, Photography & Birding: 0 minutes clocked
Food: was no good either.

Thanks to Job, Fever & a general Fatigue may be even lazyness.

Only good thing rather great thing that cameout of last week was some exposure to offroading and presence at an offroading event here and most importantly meeting fellow TBHPians for the first time. And yes offroading is one of my interest and thinking about starting it.

Hope this week goes well on the plans.
Liked that great thing about the week Ajit, would love to join the gang one day to see fellow Bhpians.

I'm good with,
- stay quit on smoking (5weeks 2 days and going strong)
- missed my workout previous week, but back to routine again - Love these sore muscles

Need more focus on,
- Missed an update last week here
- Prioritise things at work and work on all my Quad-B tasks before they start jumping to Quad-A
- Prepare for some technical exams and approaching BCA exams
Old 11th April 2012, 19:19   #219
BHPian

Great update guys, really appreciate your postings.

I have picked up one more focus area, so that will make it a total of 5:

a) Health
b) Meditation / chanting
c) Reading
d) Spending time with kids
e) Networking and connecting with people

The networking and connecting bit has been a real challenge with me going into my "shell" every now and then.

Haven't really figured out, how I will improve in this area, but I guess having an intention to improve is the 1st step. I thought of action steps like:

1) Connecting with at least one contact (that I haven't been in touch over the last month) every day in my phone book / address book
2) Scheduling lunches with people
3) Listening more and speaking less when I am having conversations

Do jump in with suggestions if you have tackled such issues in the past. Would really appreciate.

Thanks
Old 16th April 2012, 08:31   #220
BHPian

My update for last week:

1) Health: Did Yoga for 6 days (15 mins only). Went barefoot running on treadmill for 2 days (Mon and Thu). Did only 1.5 kms each time as I was slowly easing into my new habit. Experience with Vibram has been OK as running speed is a bit slow, but this should improve with time.
With this 2nd week of Yoga is complete, feeling more energetic, but not much loss in weight.

2) Meditation: Chanting 20 mins every day after Yoga. Spent 1 hour just sitting quietly on Sunday was very relaxing.

3) Reading: Have started reading quotes with a theme for each day while travelling to work
Monday: Learning quotes
Tuesday: Quotes about execution, getting things done
Wednesday: Quotes about tranquility / ease
Thursday: Quotes about growth / development and success
Friday: Quotes about love

4) Spending time with kids: Bought a new die cast toy car for my son. We played together for 2-3 hours this weekend. We had a great time .
Played Badminton with my daughter on Saturday morning, taught her a few bits from the thread on learning badminton in this forum. Went for a walk in the park with kids on Sunday.

5) Networking and connecting with people:
a - Connected with engg college friends on BB by creating a laughter group
b - Had lunch with an old friend on Tuesday and with our team on Thursday

Last edited by dj_2006 : 16th April 2012 at 08:32. Reason: corrected typos
Old 16th April 2012, 13:39   #221
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Update for last week:
#1 Weight-Control
1. Went for briskWalk-cum-jog on 6 days in the last week. Most of the walk/jog was in the building premises as I was teaching my son how to ride a bicycle.
2. Walked up to the 10th floor 8 times during the week.
3. Attended an one hour meditation session on Monday.

#2 Reading
1. Took a break from Seven habits.
2. "Critical Chain" -> No progress this week.
3. Finished '4 disciplines of execution' by Stephen Covey.

#3 Planned 'core' work
1. Planned 'core' work of around 6 hours this week.

1. Spent around 3 hours this week cleaning and organizing the home.
2. Cleaned up 2 more windows this week.
3. Have ordered Collinite 845 wax this week. Besides the car, planning to experiment with the window panes as well.

-------------------------------------------------
dj_2006, very good updates this week as well!
Especially fond of #4 and #5. Thanks for sharing.
-------------------------------------------------

MC, Ajit, Manoj, FordManchau, selfdrive, ketan, Bandhav, saanil, si1ver0ne, rahul_sinha, AVR, motomaverick, Lalvaz

How was your week?

--------------------------------------------------

PS: As summer sets in, the heat in Mumbai is rising with every passing day. I noticed that going for the brisk-walk/jog at the regular time gets me tired sooner than earlier. The sun is already quite up by that time. Once or twice I was panting so heavily and was so drenched in sweat that my resolve to do this every day got shaken a bit

Later in the day, while thinking about it, I realized how I have been complaining about the weather throughout the year and how in reality its only an excuse.
So I hearby trademark the following excuses, (so that they can not be used by others without paying royalty to me ).

During Monsoon: The road/track is so muddy and slippery. Its dangerous to go for a jog/run.

During Winter: Its quite cold early in the morning and the body takes longer to warm up. Lack of warm-up would cause more damage than the benefit from the exercise.

During Summer: Its quite hot and sweaty outside. Should I risk a sun-stroke?

When sick (minor issues): I am not well. I should really be taking rest rather than strain the body.

When not sick: I am feeling fantastic and energetic today. Why waste the energy on exercise? Let's finish something that is pending since long.

Last edited by SDP : 16th April 2012 at 14:03.
Old 16th April 2012, 14:36   #222
Senior - BHPian

I was giving the thread a miss because I have nothing much to update here apart from the fitness/weight control.

I am going to GYM on daily basis, give it a miss on last Friday as had slight pain in my thighs though I felt so uneasy after missing the GYM that I was able to go to bed only after doing around 30 mins weight training at my home only.

I weighed 109.8 yesterday while exiting the GYM after exercising, a whopping 6 kg less what I used to weigh a month and 10 days back.
Old 16th April 2012, 22:35   #223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
MC, Ajit, Manoj, FordManchau, selfdrive, ketan, Bandhav, saanil, si1ver0ne, rahul_sinha, AVR, motomaverick, Lalvaz

How was your week?
Last week was not good - It was actually quite mixed. I was not regular at the GYM however completed one thing which I wanted to do i.e. - Make a trip with my friends. Yes, silly as it may sound - I managed to plan and visit Goa with my close friends. I know this is not a hard thing but I had to learn to take time out of office and spend some good time with my friends. Work-life balance is one thing I am struggling at; I intend to improve this aspect of mine. Here is the link to my Goa trip: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...goa-again.html
Old 16th April 2012, 23:52   #224
BHPian

Weight Control:
No progress on this front since last week, job kept me from exercise entire last week.

Perhaps, its time for me to patent an excuse
When not sick: job kept me from exercise.

Photography & Birding:
Finally after years of excuses & procrastination, I was at the 3rd Sunday Birding this Sunday.

I have made a decision that, one weekend of every month will be dedicated to photography or birding or both or 4x4 off-roading and no more considering all the other things that need my time on the weekends.
Old 20th April 2012, 12:33   #225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post

How was your week?
Well had a decent week. Ran my first Ultra Marathon. A small blog on the same here Musings of a MileCruncher: Its done! I’m an Ultra Marathoner now!

Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks