Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2012, 17:11   #91
BHPian

Re: Reclaiming my life - one day at a time

@SDP I stumbled on your post and enjoyed it thoroughly.

In the '60s there was a Pan Asian magazine known as the 'The Asia Magazine' every weekend. Every issue had a small cartoon strip on the universal asian 'Sun Tan' by Sri Lankan born cartoonist Aubrey Collette.

Sun Tan was an easy going thinker with an opinion on everything and very little on the action front. I managed to locate two of his cartoons on the web and share it with you. Somewhere in me lies a 'Sun Tan' as deep inside me, I identify with him.

Name:  collette_suntan1.gif
Views: 1065
Size:  9.3 KB

So if you are in a rut, you now know what you have to do.

Name:  collette_suntan2.gif
Views: 1256
Size:  10.0 KB

Sun Tan the family man on a rare outing

Copyright is with whoever who owns it - I dont know.
basky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2012, 17:28   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Interesting situation today morning.

So made the 4-year-old in-charge of the house for next 30 minutes

hey SDP, please never ever do that again. children can get into all kinds of trouble if not supervised. it is a b.a.d idea to leave unsupervised kids alone in the house. If there were to be a fire, they wouldnt know what to do.
please, it is a request, dont do that ever again. nothing is so important.
Wheeliej is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2012, 20:53   #93
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheeliej View Post
hey SDP, please never ever do that again. children can get into all kinds of trouble if not supervised. it is a b.a.d idea to leave unsupervised kids alone in the house. If there were to be a fire, they wouldnt know what to do.
please, it is a request, dont do that ever again. nothing is so important.
I would agree. Regretted the decision myself post-facto. Would take care going forward. Thank you!
Old 11th January 2012, 11:15   #94
BHPian

Well today morning waking up was the classic case of angel & devil.

Reclaiming my life - one day at a time-tvtropes.org.jpg

"Don't listen to him. He's trying to lead you down the path of righteousness! I'm gonna lead you down the path that rocks!"
— Kronk's Shoulder Devil, The Emperor's New Groove

[[Image & Text from: Home Page - Television Tropes & Idioms ]]

Ajit don't listen to him, he's trying to make you workout, yesterday was a long day, you are too tired, you are very sleepy, you have not slept sufficiently the last two weeks - go back to sleep!!!

- No I did not give in!
ajitkumarlb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2012, 11:27   #95
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful thread started here SDP.

I've never felt the urge for any new year resolutions or any such resolutions anytime as I'd a decent lifestyle with decent health, personal life - professional life balance and never regretted anything. Nor did I have any vice that I desperately wanted to kick.

Having said that, I felt that it is time to structure my happy go lucky style of living, especially with the back pain beginning to go up. Hence instead of resolutions, I came up with a list of commandments. My own 10 commandments. Again, am not completely fixated about it, but just trying to channelise my energies in to such things.

Here's the list of 10 commandments that I gave myself, that I thought of sharing.

1. Improve on the health. Need to start strengthening my back. Got to get back in shape. Let me try starting with jogging and some back excercises.
2. Spend more time with my daughter. So reduce time online. And it has worked magic!
3. No facebook between 9am to 5 pm. The wall can wait. Work can't. 10 - 15 mins diversion from work on other forums would help me get refreshed. So here's my post in T-Bhp.
4. Clean up the friend list from all places. If they didn't matter in a positive way, they won't in the next year either. And if you didn't matter to them last year, you won't matter to them next year either. This is for the kind of friends whom I've never met. They are all the ones that have come through online media.
5. Teach a kid atleast once a month. There's so many schools around that would love volunteers who can make a difference.
6. Pursue the art forms with more vigour and rigour. Apart from keeping me happy, it increases creativity and lateral thinking.
7. Donate 1/25th of my salary to a social cause. The world will never run out of the needy.
8. Greet everyone with a smile. They may not know why you did. But it is infectious that they wouldn't know why they started or from who they got the habit.
9. Be gentle on the environment. we have only one world to live in. Until the space scientist find alternate worlds where we can colonise, this is the only home we have. So I've consciously started reducing my drives. Clocked around 1000 kms in last 2.5 months!
10. Be the change I want to see. speak less. People will understand what I want to say easier than ever.

That's it from me folks!
MX6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2012, 11:33   #96
BHPian

Quote:
...I mean, do you run these 'self-improvement initiatives' as "projects" or "operations"?...
My two cents on this subject...

Both Project & Operations have its relevance.

Project to create 'something'. Operations to maintain that 'something' or whats already there.

Taking the example of the health & weight loss:

Say you need to reduce 30 Kgs. (Operations mind-set will not work here)

Well that's 1 Program and 6 Projects with objective of reducing 5 Kgs each in a specific time frame (the target / the goal).

Now when you get to your desired weight, you need to maintain it. OR You are already at your desired weight and want to maintain it and stay healthy. Operations kicks in.
Old 16th January 2012, 14:42   #97
BHPian

Woke up today morning and hit the gym. Been off for ages, April 10 to be precise.

As of now, every muscle in my body hurts

Felt refreshed. Need to pull myself up tomo for a repeat.
mannubhai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2012, 15:37   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post
Woke up today morning and hit the gym. Been off for ages, April 10 to be precise.

As of now, every muscle in my body hurts

Felt refreshed. Need to pull myself up tomo for a repeat.
yeah right, like that's gonna happen!

after a long time did some weights last week; my biceps are still hurting
Old 16th January 2012, 16:36   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Need to pull myself up tomo for a repeat.
That's the difficult part. Every day that little devil will sit on your shoulder and give you all the reasons why you should go back to sleep. But we need to wake... All the best with it!

Last week's Update:
Did 5 days, 45 min on the recumbent bike. (Other two days were taken by the Festival)
Increased the tension by one and my thy muscle have started hurting

Book Reading is happening during the cab drives to office. I need to increase my speed of reading...
Old 16th January 2012, 16:47   #100
Senior - BHPian

I have been hesitating to post on this thread.
Have a small set up at home with a treadmill,a Multi gym and some weights. Since last year August have been regularly exercising on and off till last december when got hit by Viral fever. Since then- till today I have been only contemplating starting off the exercise regime again. I have not even switched on my treadmill since a month and a half.
Everyday my alarm rings at 6:30 a.m when I wake up go fetch my mobile, switch off the alarm and get back to bed for another 30 minutes. Previously I used to workout in evenings after office, but something or the other keeps coming up and I just couldn't resist that cup of tea after I reach home.

Will do it now. First thing first I have to wipe the dust off the treadmill .
Fordmanchau is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2012, 20:54   #101
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_sinha View Post
@SDP
Your thread is immensely inspiring. Will start my own karma towards physical fitness from today.
Need to add exercise regimen, preferably in the evening hrs, so that I can utilize the day fully.
Rahul, you have a good daily routine, with enough elbow room on either side.
All the best for your journey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by basky View Post
In the '60s there was a Pan Asian magazine known as the 'The Asia Magazine' every weekend. Every issue had a small cartoon strip on the universal asian 'Sun Tan' by Sri Lankan born cartoonist Aubrey Collette.
Basky, those cartoons are perfect. Thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Wonderful thread started here SDP.
Here's the list of 10 commandments that I gave myself, that I thought of sharing.
That's it from me folks!
Good to see you here. That list of yours has a good balance. Especially loved #8. All the best!

Quote:
Woke up today morning and hit the gym.
Slow and steady bro. All the best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
I have been hesitating to post on this thread.
Have a small set up at home with a treadmill,a Multi gym and some weights. Since last year August have been regularly exercising on and off till last december when got hit by Viral fever. Since then- till today I have been only contemplating starting off the exercise regime again. I have not even switched on my treadmill since a month and a half.
Everyday my alarm rings at 6:30 a.m when I wake up go fetch my mobile, switch off the alarm and get back to bed for another 30 minutes. Previously I used to workout in evenings after office, but something or the other keeps coming up and I just couldn't resist that cup of tea after I reach home.

Will do it now. First thing first I have to wipe the dust off the treadmill .
This is classic! I believe each one of us face the same dilemma everyday many times during the day. The battle between the will-power and the temptation. May the force be with you

Last edited by SDP : 16th January 2012 at 20:56.
Old 16th January 2012, 21:24   #102
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Update for last week:

#1 Weight-Control

1. Went for brisk-walk on 6 days in last week.
2. Attended a one hour meditation session on Monday.

PS: I have been listing the meditation sessions that I attend under the "Weight-Control". Recently realized the problem, its got nothing to do with weight-control. May be when I start something for the mind, I will move it under the appropriate head.

#2 Reading
1. I am on chapter VII in Part II of Atlas Shrugged. I am beyond the halfway mark in the ~1100 page book. Listening to the audio book has taken out the pain from the daily travel. In fact, now I look forward to the one hour uninterrupted time when I am stuck in traffic jam on my way back

Atlas Shrugged is amazing. Would I get answer to my own quest about meaning and purpose of my life in this book? I sincerely hope so.

Last edited by SDP : 16th January 2012 at 21:26.
Old 17th January 2012, 09:17   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Rahul, you have a good daily routine, with enough elbow room on either side.
All the best for your journey!
SDP, thanks, its a good reminder. After a couple of days, slumped back, with no exercise whatsoever
Will DO IT TODAY, for sure.
Old 23rd January 2012, 13:41   #104
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Update for last week:

#1 Weight-Control
1. Went for brisk-walk on 5 days (instead of 6) in the last week.
2. Missed saturday because of a picnic and could not compensate on Sunday as I was too tired from the outing on Saturday. Planning to compensate for the one day default during this week.
3. Attended a one hour meditation session on Monday.

#2 Reading
1. I am on chapter III in Part III of Atlas Shrugged. Easily listening to more than 2 hours per day, way beyond my 15-20 minutes target. Atlas Shrugged is addictive.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitkumarlb View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_sinha View Post
Ajit, Fordmanchau, Rahul, Manoj - How was your week?

Last edited by SDP : 23rd January 2012 at 13:47.
SDP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2012, 13:57   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ajit, Fordmanchau, Rahul, Manoj - How was your week?
Thanks for popping the thread up!!
As I said, I managed to wipe off the dust the same day I posted on the thread but couldn't get myself to start exercising.
Even moved ahead the alarm time from 6:45 to 6 a.m. Even woke up one day went to the treadmill and came back!!

Wife got irritated as I somehow managed to disturb her sleep. So the whole week went by like that. Finally , yesterday, i thought nothing doing, I have to do it.
Ran on treadmill for 3kms in 30minutes and then did a little weight on the gym and then had to rush to a friends place for dinner. Plan to do it today after office and get back to my old routine.
Fordmanchau is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed