Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2012, 12:16   #166
Senior - BHPian

Re: Reclaiming my life - one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
^^Wish you well in your efforts motomaverick. Do note that the idea of this thread is to provide regular updates. Twofold benefits there:
- One is encouraged to put in consistent efforts at least for the sake of updating here
- Other members are encouraged by your efforts and hopefully compete in a positive manner for their benefits

Please keep us updated!

Edit: How/ where did you figure out the BMI index? I would like to do it for myself, but I am not able to find a reliable source. One that I would like to believe before I put in the hard yards
BMI calculation is pretty easy Weight in Kgs / Height in meters square

I found the calculater with table here Online BMI Calculator

Yes I do plan to update this thread on a weekly basis. Honest information
motomaverick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2012, 12:38   #167
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Really good thread, i was avoiding this one for quite sometime thinking might be just another thread with wishes & desires than anything concrete (no offence to any threads ). But i was pleasantly surprised at the content and this has motivated me to pickup my "Important - Not Urgent" activity which is "Getting Back into Shape"
So what am I going to do?

Join Aerobics class from tomorrow i.e. 15th March 2012. Wish me luck
Thank you for the kind words and all the best for tomorrow! Big day tomorrow.. first step!

Quote:
^^Wish you well in your efforts motomaverick. Do note that the idea of this thread is to provide regular updates. Twofold benefits there:
- One is encouraged to put in consistent efforts at least for the sake of updating here
- Other members are encouraged by your efforts and hopefully compete in a positive manner for their benefits

Wow! Couldn't have been explained better! Thank you!

Quote:
Yes I do plan to update this thread on a weekly basis. Honest information
Welcome aboard motomaverick! Would look forward to hearing from you regularly. All the best again!
Old 14th March 2012, 12:41   #168
AVR
BHPian

Interestingly this thread about reclaiming life that started on the day of my marriage. lol.

I am joining you guys here.

What am I aiming for:
1) Better health - Been a sports-cum-gym guy from 2003 to Sep-2011. Since then, there has been no focus on body. I am 178 cms tall and am aiming for a body weight of 78-79 kgs. All the working out over years means, that would be ideal weight for me.

2) Better time management - I feel I don't get enough time to spend with family, get enough work done nor spend time on my Jeep . Need to change that.

3) Better focus on task at hand (be it work or pleasure) - Probably correlated but when I used to work out/play, I felt more energetic/focused about facing things head-on whether work or anything else. Past few months have made me sluggish. I think once I get some good exercise this should hopefully get better. Maybe, I need to prioritize my life significantly.

Maybe my aims are like everyone else's and much more vague but I want to implement them. Period.

Things-to-do:
1) Sign up for a gym
2) Cycle to gym
3) Take the stairs
4) Figure out where my day goes. In detail.

Cheers,
Adi
AVR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2012, 20:01   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Much better week! The spike at job seems to me settling down.

Most of the audiobooks that I have are downloaded from torrents. Some are received from friends. Will definitely check out LibriVox. Thanks for the tip!
Unfortunately not, work has been crazier, I expect this going for a while, I just need to make best of what I get. This week I missed Tuesday and made it up Wednesday.

Can you share with me the link to the 7 Habits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
...My appetite has gone up and the quantities have also increased but am still losing weight
Well the way you are walking KMs you are bound to lose weight!

Yes my appetite has gone up as well, but the thing about weight loss is so feverishly on my head now, I have become totally restrained.

I always wonder how my father does it (restrain), he has never been overweight or regularly doing exercise, but he controls food intake quite literally every day/meal.

Quote:
I'm 5'6". But the BMI doesn't talk about muscle mass or people with extra muscular body. I have too much muscle mass developed due to my playing football and rock climbing. Running is thankfully helping me tone down.
Quote:
That's actually true. BMI does not account for body-frame and the sex of the individual. Another aspect is about athletic fitness. Quoting from wikipedia
They do talk about "weight to height" ratio being more accurate measure, much to read about it.

Waist to height ratio

Quote:
Welcome & All the best!

Quote:

...How/ where did you figure out the BMI index? ...
Very well said selfdrive. Also please note that this is not just limited to weight loss, perhaps looking at all our BMI may be the important one . But open to any thing that is important to YOU.

Here is a BMI calculator:
BMI healthy weight calculator - Health tools - NHS Choices

Here is a one that give multiple items:
Body-Mass Index, Waist-to-Height Ratio and More...

When every I have given search for health related things somehow the top sites that come up are from UK.
ajitkumarlb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2012, 09:10   #170
Senior - BHPian

Found one more useful site LiveStrong that helps track calories that we are eating as well as gives quite a few stats on food habits, fitness etc. This site also has apps for smartphone, so that as when you eat something you can just enter and it will sync to their servers and gives you the remainng calories for the day.

Found it quite useful. Having been tracking since yesterday. Has Indian foods as well.
motomaverick is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2012, 10:36   #171
Senior - BHPian

My best friend has put up a challenge for me. To get into athletic/ fit shape by August. This does not mean 6 packs, but just to get rid of the flab. Which I think also equates to toning. So will have to develop a plan for this. My friend is in the US, so we will share updates and I hope to put up some progress here too. This would be more in terms of inches I guess.
My main challenge is to get rid of 'lovehandles'. Not sure what else to call them. Is yoga the best bet for these?
The condition is that we have to do it ourselves. No enrolling for professional help, spot reduction, liposuction etc! Google can be used

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitkumarlb View Post
Very well said selfdrive. Also please note that this is not just limited to weight loss, perhaps looking at all our BMI may be the important one . But open to any thing that is important to YOU.

Here is a BMI calculator:
BMI healthy weight calculator - Health tools - NHS Choices

Here is a one that give multiple items:
Body-Mass Index, Waist-to-Height Ratio and More...

When every I have given search for health related things somehow the top sites that come up are from UK.
Surprisingly for me, I am all ok on the BMI calculator. But if I put on a few kgs I could be marginally overweight.
Thanks for the links, I hope I can put them to good use.
The good lord knows UK people there need it. Or maybe all they do is sit and create websites instead of actually practising what they preach!

Quote:
Found one more useful site LiveStrong that helps track calories that we are eating as well as gives quite a few stats on food habits, fitness etc. This site also has apps for smartphone, so that as when you eat something you can just enter and it will sync to their servers and gives you the remainng calories for the day.
Wow, thats quite useful. In fact, some of my calculations say that I am actually undereating in terms of calories. I didnt know that!
Good to know more about what we put in our tummies

Last edited by selfdrive : 16th March 2012 at 10:38.
Old 16th March 2012, 11:24   #172
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful details there, SDP!
This is something (time management) I dont know whether to hate or love! This confusion is because I keep reading both, some logical and some dil-logical (Osho) books . However, at the end I feel that I wont be able to go out of this world, but insted create something better to co-exist.

I was reading about this Quds a few days back and also about the ABCDE technique to prioritize things (Got the 7 Habits.. as an audio book, yet to go thru it). I have my quick steps configured in my outlook that puts everything into one of these categories and let me go thru it on regular basis, keep reminding and so on. I have felt its better to "think on paper" sometime and keep your mind empty, relaxed. As others said, we keep going thru some or other situations that you have mentioned here and learn our ways to deal with them. Nice that you have covered a lot of details, will keep coming here to learn more. Thank you for sharing this.

Focus on a couple jobs at work (I'm still working on prioritizing here), family and Health are the three major areas of the focus for me (like everyone else here).
I have stopped smoking for 1week 4 days now, I'm going to track this one along with the light workout that I do at home (I still have Gold's Gym membership and a great Gym at work, after a falling a few times, I decided I will try 'You are your own gym' concepts) - Lets see how that goes.

I'll be back!

Last edited by Ketan : 16th March 2012 at 11:36.
Ketan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2012, 11:41   #173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well the way you are walking KMs you are bound to lose weight!
Sir, not walking, but running !

Quote:

They do talk about "weight to height" ratio being more accurate measure, much to read about it.

Waist to height ratio

Just checked and seem to be in the OK range but there is scope for improvement.

BTW thought of sharing this about a person called Arun Bhardwaj and his accomplishments.
Reclaiming my life - one day at a time-image001.jpg

You can read more about him here Arun Bhardwaj

Cheers
MileCruncher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2012, 12:59   #174
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Spent some 3 hours today to go through this thread from end-to-end. Just wanted to take stock and 'poke' a few friends who seem to be missing from the action lately.
Here's a summary:
Name:  reclaiming summary 17 mar.PNG
Views: 761
Size:  16.0 KB

mannubhai,
Where are you? Your XUV keeping you busy?

Lalvaz, Saanil,
Haven't heard from you at all in this calender year. How are you guys doing on the reclaiming journey?

Fordmanchau, rahul_sinha, BANDHAV,
Missed your updates last week (12th Mar). Guys, its important that we all keep on updating the progress regularly (weekly).
Old 19th March 2012, 11:26   #175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Missed your updates last week (12th Mar). Guys, its important that we all keep on updating the progress regularly (weekly).
Here I am, going to GYM on daily basis, haven't missed it even for a day after joining on 5th apart from 8th (Holi Holiday) when the GYM was closed. Initially I was going in the morning but as I need to leave for office by 8'o'clock so I was feeling that I am not able to devote the kind of time I should be. So started going in the evening after coming back from office. This is working fine for me I am able to devote more time in GYM.

There is not much reduction in weight, it's keep fluctuating, I have weighed maximum 115.8 and minimum 113.4. Though there is very clear increase in level of stamina. I have this sense of being fitter, the body seems more taut.

Sticking to my one proper meal in a day diet, discussed the same with my trainer and he validated it. The only issue on dietary front seems to be my intake of tea, I usually have around 5-6 cups of tea in a day. I have tried going sugarless but somehow failed to stick to it.

Apart from health front, haven't done much anywhere else, due to this evening GYM schedule haven't read even a single page of the book I was reading in last one week.

This is the update from my side, will try to do it more often now on. Thanks.
Old 19th March 2012, 11:39   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
hehe!! Thanks for poking.
My updates are normal.
The progress is normal. Just that trying to alternate my gym routine by adding yoga into it , as of now focussing on Suryanamskar. It's one hell of a practise. It will soon make you realise, how bad your stamina is. You can run on treadmill for 30 minutes, but to continue Surya Namaskar for that long seems impossible to me as of now. Though that is not my target, but still I am huffing and puffing after just 10-15 cycles of it.

I don't know how much I weigh. But must be around 72-75kgs. Got to get hold of a weighing machine.
Last two weeks have been irregular for me in terms of gymming but atleast I am daily climbing up 10 floors in my office. So as of now, all ok here.
Have initiated enquiries about restarting Guitar classes. Let's see how it goes.
Old 19th March 2012, 16:16   #177
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Update for last week:
#1 Weight-Control
1. Went for briskWalk-cum-jog on 6 days in the last week.
2. Walked up to the 10th floor 8 times during the week.
3. Attended one hour meditation session on Monday.

#2 Reading
1. Multiple iterations of 7 habits continue. Taught for close to 2 hours.Teaching to wife, still no progress.
2. Have been listening to 7 habits just too long. Picked up a physical book - "Critical Chain" by Goldratt and started reading it. Finished just 10 odd pages. But looks like the book is going to be as interesting as "Goal" by the same author.

#3 Planned 'core' work
1. Planned 'core' work of just 3-4 hours this week. Need drastic improvement from next week.

-----------------------------------------------------
BANDHAV, Fordmanchau,
Happy to hear that you had a good week!

Last edited by SDP : 19th March 2012 at 16:17.
Old 19th March 2012, 18:14   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Sir, not walking, but running !
I am sorry for that MileCruncher!

--

Workout
Mon: 30 Min
Tue: Job
Wed: 60 Min
Thu: Job
Fri, Sat & Sun: Unplanned vacation with the family.

Plan for this week is to do 60 min all the days.

Food
Control went well on the six days of the week.
Fri: was certainly not the days to be proud of

Important Things
Book: Adventures of Sherlock Holmes in progress.
Bird Watching: the vacation coincided with the 3rd Sunday outing, so missed this month.

Photography: Did some macro photography at the vacation.

Reclaiming my life - one day at a time-p3180184.jpg
Old 20th March 2012, 17:12   #179
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Spent some 3 hours today to go through this thread from end-to-end. Just wanted to take stock and 'poke' a few friends who seem to be missing from the action lately.
mannubhai,
Where are you? Your XUV keeping you busy?

Lalvaz, Saanil,
Haven't heard from you at all in this calender year. How are you guys doing on the reclaiming journey?

Keeping in mind the possibility that some of you might have missed the "roll-call", sending a quote-alert - which is difficult to miss

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
BTW, this will not be the first time I've had the wisdom dawn on me, its happened numerous times before, so I sure hope I can stay committed this time round.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
My New Year Resolutions :
1. Start jogging/running ...
2. Take up a hobby ...
3. Make one big trip to any location...
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_sinha View Post
Will start my own karma towards physical fitness from today.
Need to add exercise regimen, preferably in the evening hrs, so that I can utilize the day fully.
Quote:
...So the goal is to loose 4 inches of the tummy and get the BMI below 24. I am not much of a believer of ideal weight for "A" particular height as its not practical so BMI is a much better measurement.

So what am I going to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
I am joining you guys here.

What am I aiming for:
1) Better health ...
2) Better time management ...
3) Better focus on task at hand (be it work or pleasure) ...

Maybe my aims are like everyone else's and much more vague but I want to implement them. Period.

Things-to-do:
1) Sign up for a gym
2) Cycle to gym
3) Take the stairs
4) Figure out where my day goes. In detail.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
I have stopped smoking for 1week 4 days now, I'm going to track this one along with the light workout that I do at home (I still have Gold's Gym membership and a great Gym at work, after a falling a few times, I decided I will try 'You are your own gym' concepts) - Lets see how that goes.

I'll be back!
-----------------------------------------

Quote:
My best friend has put up a challenge for me. To get into athletic/ fit shape by August. This does not mean 6 packs, but just to get rid of the flab. Which I think also equates to toning. So will have to develop a plan for this. My friend is in the US, so we will share updates and I hope to put up some progress here too. This would be more in terms of inches I guess.
My main challenge is to get rid of 'lovehandles'. Not sure what else to call them. Is yoga the best bet for these?
The condition is that we have to do it ourselves. No enrolling for professional help, spot reduction, liposuction etc! Google can be used
selfdrive, sorry ..missed this post earlier. If I understand correctly, you have around 4-5 months for the challenge and besides love-handles things are in OK/good shape. Coincidently my own case is very similar. Over the weekend, I was doing some search on the net for 1000 cal workouts and bumped into "Insanity". Saw a few reviews on YouTube as well as read about a few experiences from people. Everybody said that its really tough, but if you have willpower for 60 days, good results are guaranteed. Overall liked it, definitely worth a try. I am planning to try it during the monsoon months when brisk-walk/jog/running is going to be tricky. Have started downloading the DVDs for the program from a torrent.

Do you want to try? Another program from the same organization is P90X, which is a 90 day program. Again seemed quite popular, good results and all.

60 or max 90 days of our life! The worse case scenario is - zero results. We have nothing to lose. I am in good mind to at least give it a try.

Last edited by SDP : 20th March 2012 at 17:30.
Old 20th March 2012, 17:34   #180
Senior - BHPian

I agree, I missed coming here and posting the status.
However, I'm wondering do we do this everyday!!

Its been 2 weeks 3 days since I quit smoking (pakka cold turkey this time). I saved myself from 151 ciggarettes so far. Saved Rs 756 so far from an app that I'm using on my WP7. There were only a couple cravings, momentorily that I dealt with during a drink session and another is while riding my bike in the first Bangalore rain this season. Overall its been great. On track so far.

I have had seen good results of high intensity workouts in the past (when done for very short period of time). I have been doing something smilar at home and do it 2-4 days a week and not more than 20 minutes a session. I have been doing it regularly since past one week (Actually started in late Feb but missed a couple weeks in between) and this seems to be on track.

At work, as I said its a different thing altogether. First I need to understand some challenges and work on it gradually. I have created a lot of mess already so it will take sometime to come back on top. However, working on that ABCDE technique and managed to keep my inbox at 0 item almost all the time in past week. I will continue to work on items from categories view and no need to look at empty inbox. This item is difficult, most critical (need to set it right before another recession shows up ) but getting some confidence here and its really inspiring.

Last edited by Ketan : 20th March 2012 at 17:36. Reason: spellcheck

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks