Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2012, 00:26   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: Calling all TBHP Sailors - Post your maritime pics here !

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
tragic, from the link

Quote:
For more than a year, the 4,703 Cougar Ace Mazdas sit in a huge parking lot in Portland, Oregon. Then, in February 2008, the cars are loaded one by one onto an 8-foot-wide conveyor belt. It lifts them 40 feet and drops them inside a Texas Shredder, a 50-foot-tall, hulking blue-and-yellow machine that sits on a 2.5-acre concrete pad. Inside the machine, 26 hammers — weighing 1,000 pounds each — smash each car into fist-sized pieces in two seconds. The chunks are then spit out the back side. Though most of the cars appeared to be unharmed, they had spent two weeks at a 60-degree angle. Mazda can't be sure that something isn't wrong with them. Will the air bags function properly? Will the engines work flawlessly throughout the warranty period? Rather than risk lawsuits down the line, Mazda has decided to scrap the entire shipment.
Old 23rd January 2012, 18:25   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Thanks for the link. Made for excellent reading and information about salvage work at sea.

Last edited by nanduchitnis : 23rd January 2012 at 18:28.
Old 26th January 2012, 07:01   #93
naj
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanduchitnis

Indian Navy is exemted Pilot services in all Indian ports but the Captain of a warship can ask for Pilotage services.

Merchant ships NO EXEMPTIONS except in rare cases where a Master gets such an exemption in writing from BPT/JNPT.

Small vessels like OSV's were exempted Pilotage but after Chitra grounding, that was revoked.
Hi !

As capt Chitnis said ,the pilot is only for guidance. If any thing goes wrong the Master is solely responsible. He has to use his overriding authority in cases where he feels that the pilot is misguiding.
This is a very debatable issue and also forms one point of criminalization of seafarers which the sea going fraternity is fighting.
Where ever pilotage is compulsory the vessel has to avail it. Even where it is not like transiting Skaw or Dandelles near Istanbul most Masters take it.
Capt Chitnis will agree . No body wants to go to jail.

Capt ,I am auditing Greek vessels. My gosh these buggers are truely sloppy. I really cannot believe that in such times of ISM etc they are still in their own world.
I made them do a streering room fire. And they are doing a drill without donning SCBA sets etc there were many observations. In the debriefing I was trying to train them. And when I asked them importance of correct drills. The chief officer stood up and told me that drills are to be done to pass uscg inspections. Can you imagine !!

Cheers,
Naj
naj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2012, 20:44   #94
BHPian

Some snaps that I took while at a yard in Korea. Some ships under construction here.
Calling all TBHP Sailors - Post your maritime pics here !-sign-off-party-master-108-r.jpg
Attachment 887477
Calling all TBHP Sailors - Post your maritime pics here !-sign-off-party-master-109-r.jpg
Old 13th February 2012, 21:07   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naj View Post
Hi !
Capt ,I am auditing Greek vessels. My gosh these buggers are truely sloppy. I really cannot believe that in such times of ISM etc they are still in their own world.
I made them do a streering room fire. And they are doing a drill without donning SCBA sets etc there were many observations. In the debriefing I was trying to train them. And when I asked them importance of correct drills. The chief officer stood up and told me that drills are to be done to pass uscg inspections. Can you imagine !!
Cheers,
Naj
Welcome to my world of marine surveying.
You are talking about greeks, I have had similar experince with Indians too. Just yday I asked a ship staff to do simple abandon & fire drill at Kolkata & the master came donning his lifejacket the otherway around. He proabably wore it because he wanted to hide the change of name, which was yet pending on his lifejacket.
Today the ships are actually being remotely controlled by Marine & Technical superintendents & their Blackberries. The master is a mere position onboard today.
In one of my recent nightmarish experiences, a Panamax vessel with iron ore fines, had hull breach at welding joint at transverse frame, just behind collision bulkhead.
Instead of Damage control as priority, The MS sent messages to ship, which I cannot disclose here due to matter being sub judice but to put my point forth, imagine MS had just one ship command experience.

Raab Rakha.
ariesonu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2012, 14:24   #96
Senior - BHPian

Kolkata (Kidderpore Docks)

Harsha Vardhan : An Indian cruise ship, regular cruise to Port Blair
Calling all TBHP Sailors - Post your maritime pics here !-dscf0935.jpg
Calling all TBHP Sailors - Post your maritime pics here !-dscf0936.jpg

Reminiscence of British times, a bridge over canal. Note the boat reminding one of Thames river cruisers.
Calling all TBHP Sailors - Post your maritime pics here !-dscf0937.jpg

Raab Rakha.
ariesonu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2012, 17:35   #97
BHPian

OMG, HarshaVardhan is still being used.

I used to work for Corp ages ago and it was one of the most feared of sort of ship.
My friend who sailed on her ha tons of horrifying stories. This was in 2001.

Hope she has been restored.

But one thing for sure, the route to Calcutta port must be too scenic. I have seen some snaps by the mentioned friend and they were too good.

BTW, ariesonu, are you a class surveyor or MMD surveyor?

Rgds.
Old 14th February 2012, 19:41   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Hi !

Cheers,
Naj
Naj you have the powers to DETAIN the ship and present for re-inspection!

A few Major NC's , revoke their Cert Of Class that's it !!

Few years back CERT OF CLASS AND DOC was revoked by MMD/DG Shipping for all ONGC Offshore vessels except their MSV's. That was around 28 OSV's !!
Old 15th February 2012, 01:20   #99
BHPian

Thank you kind sirs for sharing your part of the world which is rarely seen by many. Appreciate it.

Could someone from the marine shipping shed some light on the fact that why India despite cheap labour and possibly steel has not become a source for Shipbuilding like the Korean/Scandinavian/Japanese shipyards ? Why don't we make things like Emma Maersk, Capemax VLCCs etc ?

Do advise, and please please keep posting pictures with captions. Thanks once again.
Old 19th February 2012, 09:48   #100
naj
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjgm View Post
Thank you kind sirs for sharing your part of the world which is rarely seen by many. Appreciate it.

Could someone from the marine shipping shed some light on the fact that why India despite cheap labour and possibly steel has not become a source for Shipbuilding like the Korean/Scandinavian/Japanese shipyards ? Why don't we make things like Emma Maersk, Capemax VLCCs etc ?

Do advise, and please please keep posting pictures with captions. Thanks once again.
Dear mmmjgm,

India makes the best Steels the world can ever get. But the shipping Industry is shifting east in general, may it be crewing or dry docks.
As Indian seafarers are going the european way , talking of rules and regulations and rights , there are the Indonesian , burmese or the now chinese(when they learn English) to take over the shipping by storm.

I am fortunate to work for an American company as their Fleet manager.
WE Indians are the best seafarers the world can get. The Gora's have stopped sailing. Indian crew are almost not required. This is the era of Indian officers and is fading away to Eastern Asian countries and the Eastern block.

Shipping is about money. The bottom line is money. In the new world the ship managers and owners still have a common notion / agenda - the funnel should smoke and propeller should turn. The vessel should earn .sad !!

Capt Chitnis !! You are right. You are an Indian and the shipping Industry in India is Pretty refined no matter how much horror stories you hear about MMD and DGS. I just survived an life threat on my owners vessel when I pointed some observations at the hands of Knife happy philipinno crew.

Today I am proud to be an Indian and what the Maritime industry in india has achived and bred/ groomed me to be a thorough Merchant Navy officer .

I am on my co vessel and we just had an major O/haul of diesel generator. right from main bearing stage. I am waiting when the agent delivers me my internet card and when I can post some photographs of the o/haul.

FYI Wallems has already started shunting indian officers for Srilankans and Bangladeshi ofiicers.So is Fleet management and the list goes on and on.

Cheers,
Naj
naj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th February 2012, 17:08   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Dear mmmjgm,

FYI Wallems has already started shunting indian officers for Srilankans and Bangladeshi ofiicers.So is Fleet management and the list goes on and on.

Cheers,
Naj
Because they are cheaper than Indian Officers?

A decade back they did the same hiring Officers from Ukraine, Georgians, Russia and Lathvania etc. But for multiple reasons came back to hire Indian Officers.

The real trend I see last 5 years is Indian Officers do just one tenure as Masters, study for MBA/acquire Maritime degrees abroad and shift to the business side of the Shipping Industry.

With newly acquired degrees I hear guys have moved to USA/Australia/NZ too. Once I met an Indian Officer at Hay Point doing draft Surveys!

Many of my friends are Pilots, Supply chain management, Chartering. Marine Insurance is also paying well!

I have met many young officers (2nd Mates and Mates) who plan to quit sailing at the first opportunity !

Last edited by nanduchitnis : 19th February 2012 at 17:11.
Old 19th February 2012, 19:38   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post
Kolkata (Kidderpore Docks)

Harsha Vardhan : An Indian cruise ship, regular cruise to Port Blair
Is this a cruise ship? I would never call it one, looks more like a ferry to me and that to a very unkempt one. I bet it doesnt even have 5% of the fascilities that a normal "cruise liner" will have!!

What a pity state of affairs, no wonder the Indian cruise ship industry has never taken off!!
deky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2012, 05:05   #103
naj
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanduchitnis View Post
Because they are cheaper than Indian Officers?

The real trend I see last 5 years is Indian Officers do just one tenure as Masters, study for MBA/acquire Maritime degrees abroad and shift to the business side of the Shipping Industry.
No Sir !! They are not cheaper.
But Yes , Indian officers do change over fast.
You will be surprised to know that Boys and Girls who are currently graduating from these Maritime Institutes around Pune have already Plans to go in for some related MBA before joining the ship.

I Usually take orals as External chief Engineer for these boys/ Girls and have a chance of interacting with them.Many of them straightway ask me this.

As promised above pls find first set of pictures of the 750 kw medium speed Engine, 720 RPM, Make -Daihatsu Psht26D.

The Pics are for- 1) piston /rings and pin 2)Connecting Rods 3)Bearing clearances taken by lead wire method and lastly 4) Fitting of lower Bearing shell,This is a little tricky.
Attached Thumbnails
Calling all TBHP Sailors - Post your maritime pics here !-new-connecting-rods.jpg  

Calling all TBHP Sailors - Post your maritime pics here !-piston-piston-rings-piston-pin.jpg  

Calling all TBHP Sailors - Post your maritime pics here !-main-bearing-clearance-lead-wire.jpg  

Calling all TBHP Sailors - Post your maritime pics here !-fitting-lower-main-bearing.jpg  

Last edited by naj : 21st February 2012 at 05:21.
naj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th May 2012, 13:59   #104
BHPian

I guess there are a few marine surveyors in Team BHP family.

Was interested in knowing about how is the life of a marine surveyor.

I do come across class surveyors from RO for the flag. They seem to be doing quite well. But was wondering about the scene in India. Will it be wise to change shoes is what I keep wondering about. Was planning an alternative career based on current experience. Would be grateful for inputs from people in the profession and those who know the profession well.
I am sailing as a chief engineer on world's largest LNG ship. Have sailed on oil gas and chemicals in the past.

Rgds.
Old 19th May 2012, 14:22   #105
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sindabad.sailor View Post
Some snaps that I took while at a yard in Korea. Some ships under construction here.
That last picture is cool. Especially the way the blocks are laid out in anticipation of the completed hull.

Quote:
2)Connecting Rods
WOW WOW WOW!!! Love it!!! Want it!

Here are pics from a Sunday sail around bombay. Check out the full carbon-fibre wheel in the 2nd pic :

Calling all TBHP Sailors - Post your maritime pics here !-img_20111231_153814.jpg

Calling all TBHP Sailors - Post your maritime pics here !-img_20111231_163226.jpg

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 19th May 2012 at 14:24.

Most Viewed