Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2011, 15:47   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Driving licence can no longer be used as address proof

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Mobile connections...
Credit cards...
One can get a mobile connection based on submitting the DL as address proof, at least in Delhi.

Credit cards don't have the address printed on them; some don't have photos either.

Only recourse now IMO would be the voter ID card or the new UID (as and when it becomes all pervasive). Unless one has a valid passport of course.
Old 26th November 2011, 17:59   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
... Credit cards don't have the address printed on them; some don't have photos either. ...
Most don't have photos - courtesy cost conscious managers at the credit card companies. For address proof, for a short while initially, some agencies used to accept credit card bill since the CC companies did address verification scrupulously. As the numbers increased, that was given a go-by, I guess.

Have you noticed that people swiping the credit card at a merchant counter no longer tally signature with that on the reverse of the card? Not sure since when/how/why that happened!
Old 28th November 2011, 02:19   #18
Senior - BHPian

Yeah recently for getting registration done for a new vehicle it seems the RTO in Chennai only accepts the following 3 as address proof - Voter ID, Ration Card,Passport
Old 28th November 2011, 18:50   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Have you noticed that people swiping the credit card at a merchant counter no longer tally signature with that on the reverse of the card? Not sure since when/how/why that happened!
For a fact, i do not / never have signed on the reverse of the card. Many merchants have asked me to do so. I argue with them that i will not sign the back of the card. If needed i can show some Photo ID proof, which matches the name on my card. When i present the below statements to the counter clerk, he accepts this and allows me to swipe my card.

Why i do not sign the back of the card -
God forbid, if my debit / credit card gets lost, a thief finds it, he has ample time to master the signature at the back of the card and use it at his will (before i realise my card is lost and i block the card).

The probablity that he would sign exactly the way i sign is a one-in-a-million probablity. If signature matches, i HAVE to pay the due amount, but if there is a different signature, at least there is a 5% chance that i may be spared the amount.
Old 22nd May 2014, 18:00   #20
BHPian

Is this still the same case that DL is no longer accepted as Address proof anywhere? My father only has DL as the address proof in Bangalore and I don't see this as acceptable address proof (listed on the advisory docs) for renewing his passport.
Old 27th July 2014, 03:01   #21
BHPian

According to the current situation (in Delhi), they're accepted as "Identity Proof" and "Age Proof" but not as "Address Proof."
So unless you're applying for something valuable, maybe like Gun License or something, DL should do just fine!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks