Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2011, 15:08   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Safety in A/c compartments in trains.

The incident with elderly couples highlights the level to which thieves can go to loot passengers. We all know about not to accept food from strangers, etc. But now incidents like this shows nothing can be trusted. By posting it here, MX6 has atleast made us aware about one more method by which cheating can be done and we can appreciate that.
OT - If the govt is requesting us to be alert while traveling since last 10 years or more and if such senior citizens are not bothered to keep jewellery safely while traveling, it shows either they don't care for safety or they don't bother for jewellery. I would definitely like to know how many BHPians wear jewellery while travelling in train involving overnight journey.
Old 5th December 2011, 19:38   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

My my my,this thread has the matter to boil into something that might not be good as there are political issues involved.But still i would like to try and clarify the doubts most of you guys might be having as i'm an avid railway buff and a PROUD BIHARI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_poison View Post
About a year back, i had to travel from Delhi to Kolkata by train.
Can you specify the exact time of the year and the train involved?There are so many trains passing through Patna at night.

Quote:
It was only when i travelled did i realize the reason for this situation. The few fellow passengers who were with me said that i had made a big mistake by taking an AC ticket ! The reason that they stated is that after the halt at Patna station, the train makes its way through a jungle for most of its time till it reaches Kolkota.THIS IS RIDICULOUS! And that train was notorious for stopping in between the jungle, just for dacoits to loot the passengers, especially those travelling in AC compartments ( those fellow passengers all were getting off at Patna!!).
Well,what i feel is that they were pulling your leg.There are many cities in between Patna and Kolkata.The said jungles are just like what one would come across between two cities.
Quote:
They said that either these looters had any inside man for them to get the doors opened or they would straight away break glass of the windows, which made me consider something that i've never reasoned before. Why the hell dont they provide grills for AC compartment windows?? Ok now i understand that the thieves would always come up with some or the other innovative ideas, but this is like an open invitation for them!! I don understand the logic, grills for sleeper compartment and glass for AC compartment??How do you expect to keep AC environment inside the coach with just grills? The passengers were telling me it was much safer to travel in a sleeper class !! That solved the mystery!! Please pour in your logic for not having grills in AC compartments, if not the total security but at least it is a step towards that.
Now a few facts,the chances of getting your belongings stolen are more in a sleeper class than in an AC compartment.There were cases earlier when the bedroll attendant used to be "the" inside man(as it was a private affair for a few years but now all are railway staffs).Also the policing is better and the AC coaches are isolated from sleeper class coaches at night so the inside man theory was possible but few incidences now.The AC glass,if you look closely are 2 thick laminated glasses separated by a dead space in between them.That is to provide a better cooling effect acting as a poor conductor of heat.So to break into an AC compartment is a tough task(ask someone who has been involved in a rescue attempt post train accident).This also answers your other question of why not grills on the windows.
My friend,i hope i have not offended you but things have changed in Bihar for the better.There are few things that happen here which is highlighted more but then there are same/worse things happening everywhere so i feel that in today's circumstances,its a common problem.As far as details about railways are concerned,you can check details on net,just search IRFCA.(Mods-I'm not publicising this site.)
Old 5th December 2011, 19:41   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Ahem, sorry if i sound stupid ,but is this really the year 2011? or is it the 60s/70s?
I maybe wrong cause i don't travel by train that much and the trip's confined only within Kerala. This just sounds like out of a movie. Drugged ol couple wrong,okay. But dacoitry and breaking glass panes???
Old 5th December 2011, 19:48   #19
BHPian

Seriously buddy, it is really funny indeed! By reading what you say, it seems the stop in the middle of the jungle seems a mandatory one! just for the thieves to have a gala time looting the passengers! Also, I do not think the window panes are so brittle for it to break by throwing a stone or by hitting it just once. These glasses are pretty thick, IMO. Oh yes, this seems like a story from a bygone era! travel safe, welcome 2012!!
Old 5th December 2011, 19:59   #20
BHPian

LOL Ashish Bhai, you truly calculated the whole weight till the last gram of it. I do see many elderly women wearing heavy golden chains, earrings and bangles, something akin our Bappi Da. I myself was a victim of Chain Snatching once (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...hyderabad.html)

Last edited by GTO : 7th December 2011 at 13:50. Reason: Removing quoted post which has been deleted
Old 5th December 2011, 21:59   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
This is simply a terrible hearsay thread which has more fear uncertainty and doubt than any practical experience.

Ok practical experience??
Sir please read the newspapers, you'll find innumerable incidents happening in todays trains.

Here are some thoughts for you to consider:
a. Have you tried breaking the glass of an AC compartment? Try it once. Its MUCH stronger than the glass on our cars' window panes. and then do what?
ANS: No i've not tried breaking one.. neither have is seen someone breaking one, but i've seen broken glasses in AC compartments. Have you tried?

by that logic, its far simpler to pick up a sleeper class passenger's bags and throw it out of the emergency window (for an accomplice to pick up later)

ANS: How would one do that without catching attention??

b. Doors can be opened from inside for sleeper trains too.

ANS: This point has already been said.

c. Grills in an AC coach is simply laughable man.

ANS: Laughable?? well think about it. Even if you shut down, the doors and interpassage shutters, the windows are an easy entry point. Why is it so difficult to believe that? Are those glasses bullet proof? or for that matter tell me the truth, have you not noticed not one broken/shattered AC window so far??

Please don't spread such baseless unfounded gossip.

ANS: Gossip?? i've spoken here based on what i've heard and observed. Has one go through some experience in order to discuss such things?? Or is it better to learn from other's experience?

If you have had any 1st hand experience, kindly share that.
ANS: Sorry mate, i've not been so fortunate.
Old 5th December 2011, 22:09   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
My my my,this thread has the matter to boil into something that might not be good as there are political issues involved.But still i would like to try and clarify the doubts most of you guys might be having as i'm an avid railway buff and a PROUD BIHARI.

Can you specify the exact time of the year and the train involved?There are so many trains passing through Patna at night.

Well,what i feel is that they were pulling your leg.There are many cities in between Patna and Kolkata.The said jungles are just like what one would come across between two cities.

Now a few facts,the chances of getting your belongings stolen are more in a sleeper class than in an AC compartment.There were cases earlier when the bedroll attendant used to be "the" inside man(as it was a private affair for a few years but now all are railway staffs).Also the policing is better and the AC coaches are isolated from sleeper class coaches at night so the inside man theory was possible but few incidences now.The AC glass,if you look closely are 2 thick laminated glasses separated by a dead space in between them.That is to provide a better cooling effect acting as a poor conductor of heat.So to break into an AC compartment is a tough task(ask someone who has been involved in a rescue attempt post train accident).This also answers your other question of why not grills on the windows.
My friend,i hope i have not offended you but things have changed in Bihar for the better.There are few things that happen here which is highlighted more but then there are same/worse things happening everywhere so i feel that in today's circumstances,its a common problem.As far as details about railways are concerned,you can check details on net,just search IRFCA.(Mods-I'm not publicising this site.)
Sorry dude, if i've hurt your feelings, but my intention was not to highlight the situation in Bihar as such.
Old 5th December 2011, 23:25   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry dude, if i've hurt your feelings, but my intention was not to highlight the situation in Bihar as such.
Hey mate,i'm not hurt.I've stayed out of Bihar for 17yrs for my studies and never in my wildest dreams had thought of coming back to Bihar.But with a sea of changes happening here,i've set my shop here,although still cautious.I just wanted to make a point that your idea was not correct,for Bihar and for Railways(both are dear to me ).So no ill feelings dude.
Old 6th December 2011, 00:15   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Ahem, sorry if i sound stupid ,but is this really the year 2011? or is it the 60s/70s?
I maybe wrong cause i don't travel by train that much and the trip's confined only within Kerala. This just sounds like out of a movie. Drugged ol couple wrong,okay. But dacoitry and breaking glass panes???

It is 2011, and it happens all the time. You need to get your new from more global sources
Old 6th December 2011, 01:09   #25
Senior - BHPian

Its my usual route. But i always take Rajdhani. Plane is impractical for me.

But news of trains being looted is common in Bengal now and not in Bihar. After NJP station this is very common in local news.
Old 6th December 2011, 01:43   #26
Senior - BHPian

Initially I thought that this thread was about the AC coaches catching fire, which is the more real danger that we should be discussing here.

I have also heard horror stories when I had traveled North (early 90s, don't think much has changed since), mostly about people forcing themselves into your reserved seats (without even a ticket) and i heard that if you pick a fight, they will not hesitate to push you overboard. Also I noticed that the TTEs are so strict about the tickets and their checking only upto Vijayawada (coming from chennai). After that it is a free for all. Just my experience, that's all. If anything has changed since then, my deep respect for laluji.

Last edited by esteem_lover : 6th December 2011 at 01:45.
Old 6th December 2011, 10:15   #27
Senior - BHPian

Indian Railways and Safety dont go together. There is no concept of safety on trains, from dacoity, from fire, from water, from sabotages, or from accidents. Nothing has changed in railways since independence, except for electric locos replacing coal and diesel ones. All of us who travel regularly on trains are still alive only because of pure chance.

Now, that doesn't mean that I don't travel by train anymore. I do, and I still find it much safer than going on our roads, which are even more dangerous, may not be for the same reasons, but for the callousness of road users around you. Fortunately, nothing other than the train, runs on the tracks and trains can only run on tracks, yet!
Old 6th December 2011, 10:48   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
I have also heard horror stories when I had traveled North (early 90s, don't think much has changed since), mostly about people forcing themselves into your reserved seats (without even a ticket) and i heard that if you pick a fight, they will not hesitate to push you overboard. Also I noticed that the TTEs are so strict about the tickets and their checking only upto Vijayawada (coming from chennai). After that it is a free for all. Just my experience, that's all. If anything has changed since then, my deep respect for laluji.
Reminds me of my journeys from Chennai to Bhubaneswar and Bhubaneswar to Delhi (When I used to study in Bhubaneswar) 2 years back. I once made the mistake of travelling by Sleeper class from Bhuba to Delhi and experienced all of the above mentioned first hand - people without tickets forcing themselves into your seat and pushing you out of yours, they dont even leave the girls to sit in their seats comfortably. And to my surprise, I found that most of the people doing this were actually educated - travelling to attend some Army recruitment camp. That was the only time I travelled through Bihar and UP by train and I don't think I will do that ever again if I have a choice.
Added later on second thoughts: I am not here to start a North-South fight, I am not here to say that travelling by trains in the South is better or safer and I donot think that is true, I just wanted to share my experiences.

Last edited by singleton : 6th December 2011 at 10:52.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks