Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2011, 00:02   #1

Safety in A/c compartments in trains.

About a year back, i had to travel from Delhi to Kolkata by train. It was on short notice (official purpose) that i had to book the ticket. But to my surprise, i could easily get a 3rd AC ticket, but couldnt get a sleeper class. I had booked through the net and there was regret sign for all sleeper class. I was a little confused on why this was the case.

It was only when i travelled did i realize the reason for this situation. The few fellow passengers who were with me said that i had made a big mistake by taking an AC ticket ! The reason that they stated is that after the halt at Patna station, the train makes its way through a jungle for most of its time till it reaches Kolkota. And that train was notorious for stopping in between the jungle, just for dacoits to loot the passengers, especially those travelling in AC compartments ( those fellow passengers all were getting off at Patna!!).

They said that either these looters had any inside man for them to get the doors opened or they would straight away break glass of the windows, which made me consider something that i've never reasoned before. Why the hell dont they provide grills for AC compartment windows?? Ok now i understand that the thieves would always come up with some or the other innovative ideas, but this is like an open invitation for them!! I don understand the logic, grills for sleeper compartment and glass for AC compartment?? The passengers were telling me it was much safer to travel in a sleeper class !! That solved the mystery!! Please pour in your logic for not having grills in AC compartments, if not the total security but at least it is a step towards that.

Last edited by Rehaan : 5th December 2011 at 13:01. Reason: Adding paragraph spacing for better readability
Old 5th December 2011, 12:23   #2
BHPian

Re: Safety in A/c compartments in trains.

Weren't there any RPF personnel in the Cabins?
These days all night trains have armed RPF men, here in Southern Railways.
Old 5th December 2011, 12:29   #3
Senior - BHPian

Not sure about this specific train and this specific location, also keep in mind things are changing in Bihar and if this is a old story it might already be a different scenario now.

Elsewhere / Anywhere traveling in AC is perfectly safe. My relatives regularly use this mode for journey and never has anyone faced any problems whatsoever.
Old 5th December 2011, 12:37   #4
MX6
Senior - BHPian

I recently got to know from friends that an elderly couple taking the Mumbai Chennai mail (around 10 days back), had food that was laced with sedatives. They were in ICU for couple of days in chennai as they didn't wake up (due to the effect of the drugs). The last time they had food was in Mantralayam road station. And they were found sleeping on their berths by the car driver who came to pick them up in chennai central station and were rushed to the hospital. Eventually when they came around, the lady found that 7 lakh worth of jewels she wore was stolen. The suitcase wasn't tampered with.
MX6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2011, 13:34   #5
BHPian

I am actually quite suprised to read through this.

I always had this opinion that AC class travel in trains to be the safest as there is an RPF personal in each coach .

This surely makes us think which is the best way to protect ourselves. I for sure do not accept anything from strangers during my travel. It is better to be safe than to be sorry as always
Old 5th December 2011, 13:54   #6
BHPian

Hello,

Just been to Puri, Orissa on the 27 nov and returned on 1 Dec.

While going we took the Dhauli express and while returning we took the Duranto express, both trains are day trains. We were in A/c Chair car.

The first thing I noticed was the huge RPF presence on the train. There were many of them on the train and that to armed with automatic rifles and walkie talkies. I feel trein travel is a lot safer now regards to theft and dacoity.
Old 5th December 2011, 14:19   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Eventually when they came around, the lady found that 7 lakh worth of jewels she wore was stolen. The suitcase wasn't tampered with.
Why would anyone wear 7 lakh worth of gold and travel in a train??
Anyone who has so much gold will probably travel by plane!
Old 5th December 2011, 14:31   #8
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noidea View Post
7 lakh worth of jewels doesn't stand for gold alone. Diamond earrings and nose studs make up for a huge amount. And typical south indian ladies wear Diamond earrings and nose studs. May be it was easier and convenient for a couple who are 70+ to take the a/c two tier than a flight. My father doesn't prefer to fly either. Some people also suffer from the fear of flying and prefer travel over land.

The reason could be many. But they become easy targets for theives when they see elderly couple travelling alone. What's even more shocking is that they were drugged and it took them couple of days to regain consciousness. If not for the driver who came to pick them up, I'm sure the railway authorities would have stolen the rest of their belongings and would have discarded them in the corner of some platform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind84 View Post
I always had this opinion that AC class travel in trains to be the safest as there is an RPF personal in each coach .

This surely makes us think which is the best way to protect ourselves. I for sure do not accept anything from strangers during my travel.
Yes. I too thought the same. When I took the train this time from chennai I noticed that there was no TTE as well all the way from Gooty till Solapur in the chennai - mumbai mail. I had a tough time keeping general public without proper tickets from getting in to my sleeper coach.
And the elderly couple didn't have food from others. They bought it themself from a vendor from the platform at Mantralayam road station. Looks like the vendor was hand in glove with the theives.

Last edited by MX6 : 5th December 2011 at 14:35.
Old 5th December 2011, 14:39   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noidea View Post
Anyone who has so much gold will probably travel by plane!
It all depends on the individuals. MX6 mentioned that it was an elderly couple. Most South Indian women in their old age tend to wear 10 or more sovereign gold chains bearing Sumangali (thali). In their time the gold chain didn't cost a fortune as it does now.
Old 5th December 2011, 14:41   #10
Senior - BHPian

This is simply a terrible hearsay thread which has more fear uncertainty and doubt than any practical experience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_poison View Post
They said that either these looters had any inside man for them to get the doors opened or they would straight away break glass of the windows, which made me consider something that i've never reasoned before. Why the hell dont they provide grills for AC compartment windows??
Here are some thoughts for you to consider:
a. Have you tried breaking the glass of an AC compartment? Try it once. Its MUCH stronger than the glass on our cars' window panes. and then do what?
by that logic, its far simpler to pick up a sleeper class passenger's bags and throw it out of the emergency window (for an accomplice to pick up later)
b. Doors can be opened from inside for sleeper trains too.
c. Grills in an AC coach is simply laughable man.

Please don't spread such baseless unfounded gossip.

If you have had any 1st hand experience, kindly share that.
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2011, 14:42   #11
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
It all depends on the individuals. MX6 mentioned that it was an elderly couple. Most South Indian women in their old age tend to wear 10 or more sovereign gold chains bearing Sumangali (thali). In their time the gold chain didn't cost a fortune as it does now.
MX6 mentioned 7 lakh worth jewels. Not gold. MX6 also clarified later about the diamond ear-rings and diamond nose stud.

Add that with the gold in the Mangal sutra and the typical Gold ring with 9 precious stone that the groom gets to wear on his wedding (which would have happened 50 years back).

AshishPallod. Can you recalculate based on diamond now?

Last edited by GTO : 7th December 2011 at 13:49. Reason: Removing quoted post which has been deleted
Old 5th December 2011, 14:50   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
AshishPallod. Can you recalculate based on diamond now?
Oh ya, simple,
one gold ring with diamond and thats it.
Old 5th December 2011, 14:55   #13
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
Oh ya, simple,
one gold ring with diamond and thats it.
But yes, elderly Tamil couple do have the propensity to wear diamond noserings and studs. It is same like a Mangalsutra for the lady as those are worn during the wedding (that also includes a nose piercing ceremony) and are mostly worn till her husband passes away.

Anyway, for the new year, I'm thinking of coming over to Baramati. Would you be around? Agri tourism during new year should be interesting right?
Old 5th December 2011, 14:56   #14
BHPian

My father travelled recently from Indore to Pune. His was an 2AC reservation and they found out in the morning that the adjacent 3AC comparment which had a marriage party was robbed in the night. Apparently it was an insider job since the robbers knew which luggage pieces were to be searched.

But generally AC compartments are safer because of the connecting vestibule shutter being locked during the night time and the AC technician and bedding attendants being available.
Old 5th December 2011, 14:59   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Anyway, for the new year, I'm thinking of coming over to Baramati. Would you be around? Agri tourism during new year should be interesting right?
welcome!!
I will check with Agri tourism with latest happenings and let u know.
We[rajababues] may head to the beach in konkan for year end blast but nothing is finalized yet.

Enough ot in the Bihar train robbery case...oops...thread.

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 5th December 2011 at 15:03.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks