Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2006, 12:51   #1
SRK
Senior - BHPian

Help me decide my future!

Hi,
Members,I gave my HSC exams (sci.).I am planning to become an automobile/transport designer (somewhat like DC).
I have applied for two designs schools in India,If I get selected then,just 5 to 6 years from now and you'll see a new DC kind player coming in.
But this all depends if I pass my HSC and the entrance exams fo the design school. ( I hope this happens!)

Suppose if I don't pass any of this exams.
Then I have decided to open my own brand for modifying cars like RIO and Autopsyche.(I love their work,they are my inspiration).
I have asked my dad, to help me get some training in fibreglass fabrication.So in 1 or 2 years i get to run my own brand,after finding some professional who can assist me in technical work.

Now I need your suggestions, what should I do? In the end i want to be complete package to the customer like DC,Autospyche and RIO.
Is it ok to learn from experience.If not,Do you know someone/some school who can help me?
I dont mind doing apprenticeship from any of these guys

Note:- I have little(=no) knowledge about technical aspects of a vehicle .I just try to make the car look good.
Old 12th March 2006, 20:52   #2
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Do anything you want or like ... just pursue it... and you'll get through... BUT don't do CA
Old 12th March 2006, 22:02   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
BUT don't do CA
Are you a CA?
Old 12th March 2006, 22:06   #4
Senior - BHPian

Why not look at auto design options abroad??

There's nothing comparable to the Italy schools!
Old 12th March 2006, 22:16   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous
Why not look at auto design options abroad??

There's nothing comparable to the Italy schools!
Not a very good idea.There the medium of instruction is Italian,which u have to go learn 2 months prior to the start of the course.i has applied for IED and its not very easy to cope with ithe italian medium in just 2 months.

i would suggest coventry university in UK.
Old 12th March 2006, 23:53   #6
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit
Are you a CA?
almost ... types...
Old 13th March 2006, 11:30   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by merve_extreme
Not a very good idea.There the medium of instruction is Italian,which u have to go learn 2 months prior to the start of the course.i has applied for IED and its not very easy to cope with ithe italian medium in just 2 months.

i would suggest coventry university in UK.
many ied courses are now in english. i have a friend in ied if u need some help.
nid in india has a transport design course
coventry too has a good course and language wont be a problem.
more than your marks its your portfolio which counts though .

i was going to do an auto design course but have decided on a business course instead
Old 13th March 2006, 11:39   #8
Senior - BHPian

i think tbhp member salil_kulkarni is also at turin studying auto design at turin.
Old 13th March 2006, 17:36   #9
SRK
Senior - BHPian

I have applied for NID (ahmedabad) and MIT(pune).
I think some designer from NID have been working for tata.
Mostly these school teach the students to cope with problems and help them to make their ideas understand to others, by using 3d programs and 2d drawings.

I am more inclined doing a course,but if I dont get admission then,I have thought of opening my own vehicle customization shop.Is this ok? or I should do something else.
Some one suggested me to do a diploma in automobile engg.
I wont be working myself at the start,I'll just design stuff and get them made and will try to take help from professionals for performance things.

If you have seen "Overhaulin",you may be knowing how Chip Foose gets all the team members together and build a master piece,though he himself most of the time doesnt work.He gathers the best people and make them do the work.I wanna do the same thing and get the best stuff for the customer under one roof.
Thats my only dream & I hope one day it comes true!

Last edited by SRK : 13th March 2006 at 17:39.
Old 13th March 2006, 18:34   #10
Senior - BHPian

why not become an inhouse designer for some car company. or start your own design house. but a vehicle cusomization shop doesnt sound too bad either though there is more $$ in being a designer. only downside is you might have to leave India.

NID have recently started a transport design course so you wont have top learn industrial design when all your interested in is drawing cars. lol.

wht college were u in btw

Last edited by khanak : 13th March 2006 at 18:36.
Old 13th March 2006, 18:36   #11
BHPian

Off topic:
What is usually taught in auto design courses? Art of automobile design or the engineering behind a car. How does auto design differ from automobile engineering?
Old 13th March 2006, 19:06   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRK
I have applied for NID (ahmedabad) and MIT(pune).
When you say MIT, do you mean www.iidpune.org ? I'm planning to go there too.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRK
If you have seen "Overhaulin",you may be knowing how Chip Foose gets all the team members together and build a master piece,though he himself most of the time doesnt work.He gathers the best people and make them do the work.
SRK, Chip Foose and his father have years of hands-on-experience man, they now have the money and the expertise to sit back and supervise an overhaul, although he does get his hands dirty too!!!

Hope you get in........
Do you have any sketches online? If you do, please post them!
Old 13th March 2006, 19:17   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbasak
Off topic:
What is usually taught in auto design courses? Art of automobile design or the engineering behind a car. How does auto design differ from automobile engineering?
Aerodynamics, Ergonomics, Asthetics, Fluid dynamics......etc
Old 13th March 2006, 20:33   #14
BHPian

Hey,
The course for Transportation - Car Design at IED has an option of English for the First year, and thats the option I have opted for.

So khanak, which of your friends is at IED? Is he in turin?

The things usually taught in auto design courses....atleast in my school are as follows.
We just finished our 1st semester for the first year and our subjects were :
Design Project 1, Basic Sketching, Illustration, Basic Technical Design, Modelling and History of Design.
For the first semester, they make sure they do not put an emphasis on just Cars, so as to let the students adapt to different kinds of design rather than restrict themselves to just cars.

Our First semester lasted from mid october to end of Feb with a break in between for Christmas.

Our second semester starts today and we have some new subjects to cope with :
Design Project 2, Car Illustration, Sketching, Ergonomics, Materials and Technology, Car Technical Design, History of Design(Cars) and Clay Modelling.

Its a lot of work no doubt.....but loads of fun too, because we have people from all over the world. In my class of 15 i have students from Korea, Switzerland, Italy, India, Canada, USA, Poland, Germany, Indonesia and Norway.

If anyone needs any info on the course.... you can visit the IED website,
www.ied.it
or drop me a PM.

Cheers.
Old 13th March 2006, 21:57   #15
SRK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund
When you say MIT, do you mean www.iidpune.org ? I'm planning to go there too.....
Yes I have applied there ,did you fill the forms the last date for submission is 31st March.
Are you planning for automobile or some other field?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund
SRK, Chip Foose and his father have years of hands-on-experience man, they now have the money and the expertise to sit back and supervise an overhaul, although he does get his hands dirty too!!!

Hope you get in........
Do you have any sketches online? If you do, please post them!
I dont mind working and getting my hands dirty, but the thing is I dont have technical knowledge and I dont want to damage others things,I once thought of going to a garage near my home,but these exams are not leaving me alone,now i need to prepare for my engg. cet.

I had done many sketches (I started doing it when I was in 8th)but i lost some when I shifted my house.
I have some i'll try to post them (is there a thread already for such things?)
But now I use Adobe photoshop 6 to desgn stuff.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks