Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2011, 23:03   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: To All those associated with IT Industry - Do you call yourself an IT Joe ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
The best out of this is to tell that you are working with Admin Team. Even if you say finance, people may ask you favours like IT filing, tax planning etc. If you say you are in Admin, no one will expect any favours.

My common excuse is that i say that i am in "housekeeping" wing of admin in X software company.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I remember this incident way back in 2002. I was on MG road, coming back from a friends house.
A couple of cops on bike stop me. Start checking DL, papers, and commenting on some headlight issue. On seeing my out of state DL, one of them asks in broken hindi "Software engineer aah? Where do you work?". I replied "Lay off ho gaya, job searching".
They let me go without any further questions or checks
Two great ideas indeed!

I will use them alternatively according to the situation at hand.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2011, 15:46   #32
Senior - BHPian

Another incident at Saki Naka - Mumbai

My friend with Accenture ID card got his shoes polished - RS 20.

I went to the same shop and got shoes polished for RS 10/-. I was not wearing any ID Card.
Old 22nd December 2011, 16:44   #33
Oxy
BHPian

Atleast in Bangalore, there is a huge misconception amongst the locals that the average IT professional is paid very well, which is really not the case. Indian IT companies such as HCL, Patni, TCS, Infosys, Wipro etc. don't pay their employees very well. For that matter, even IBM doesn't, w.r.t. the cost of living these days in Bangalore. Only we are aware of the kind of hikes we get annually.

Furthermore, most of the locals (who have no idea of the amount of slogging involved in our day to day lives) also believe that if you are into IT, you get paid huge amounts for doing nothing. They think that we just enjoy ourselves sitting in air conditioned offices, having free coffee and snacks and are being paid such astronomical sums whilst having such a gala time (this was told to me by a frustrated auto driver many years ago when I boarded his auto, and I told him I was not into IT).

The root cause of all such happenings - read having to pay more for everything, only breeds from such wrong assumptions made. It's sad really.

Last edited by Oxy : 22nd December 2011 at 16:51.
Oxy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks