Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2011, 18:53   #16
BHPian

re: How did you feel when you sold your car?

I was nine when my dad sold our last truck, Tata 1210D as he was moving on to a stable business. And boy, I had cried for 2 days straight! Then my dad had to take me for a picnic next weekend, have a boat ride at Gateway and buy me an expensive toy car. Only after that I reconciled with the fact of that truck having gone!
So, I can totally relate to this emotion. And thanks for creating this thread that brings back good old memories. I am sure your memories of your car will also bring a smile on your face!
Old 22nd December 2011, 18:54   #17
BHPian

My first car was a 2005 Honda CR-V, after driving it for 3 years I upgraded but, I missed her like crazy. 2 months back, I convinced the owner to sell it to me and is now back in my garage.

She gets the parking right next to the Z4

I don't regret selling or miss any other. Sometimes, a car is just a machine.
fre2bpowerless is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2011, 19:04   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Lovely thread TK! And sorry to hear about your beloved Optra Magnum's departure. Wish you many happy miles in the Safari!

I felt exactly the way you are right now when I sold my Accent back in Nov 2007. I owned that car for seven years: bought it despite it being way over budget as a 26th birthday gift to myself (with some help from Dad!) This was the car that I took on the Pune e-way and hit 165 kmph in; the car that a friend and I hit the highway in high spirits one night intending to make it to Goa (only to end up pulling over in Panvel and sleeping in it by teh side of the road to be woken by a bunch of kids going to school!); the car that I drove myself and my 3 suitcases in to a new job and a new life in Bangalore; the car I was married in (not literally, but it was the one we decorated and drove to the venue in!); the car we made our first nervous longish roadtrip in with our 10-month old baby...

I remember the day I sold it like it was yesterday. We were moving to another city, another country in fact, and couldn't hold on to this baby anymore. A dealer made me an offer and I accepted. He gave me a cheque which I deposited in my account and handed him the keys. He told me- hang on, we will only pick it up after you've confirmed receipt of the money. But he made one request: please don't drive the car in the interim.

The next 2 days were sheer torture: everytime my friend's car (in which I was pooling) pulled into the lot, I'd turn and stare wistfully at my beauty waiting in her spot like a bride pondering on her new life- it seemed to me! It was almost blessed relief when the cheque cleared and the driver came and took her away. I stood and stared long after she'd gone and all I could think of were the wonderful memories associated with that car.

My little one has no memory of that car but she loves our Swift dearly and the thought of selling that gives me sleepless nights!
Old 22nd December 2011, 19:10   #19
Senior - BHPian

I was actually happy when I sold my car in 2008. I was happy about the fact that it was going to someone for whom it was his first car bought from his own money and it did matter a lot to him.

He was pretty keen on the car as it we had kept it well, and I could judge from his behavior that he would be the right person for our car.

So was pretty happy to let the car go.

regards
Old 22nd December 2011, 19:28   #20
BHPian

Superb Thread

You may see a Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde here. I could feel the heartache in parting away from beloved car. However I was pretty ok, when sold the Ford Mondeo in UK, couple of snaps with car , followed by handing over the keys. May be (more appropriately should be) because I always knew that it is inevitable because nature of assignment.

However when I was closed on Cruze and had to stretch to jack up budget from Linea T-Jet territory, the option available was to sell of Palio Sports (2004 - ~30K on odo). My heart simply did not allow me and I still don't repent that decision (even after petrol selling at 75 bucks)
Old 22nd December 2011, 22:53   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
We have other cars in the family ,but the Zen is special as it was gifted by my parents .So after 8 years and 1.1L kms when i was travelling out of the country for higher studies ,I had to sell it as my parents just couldnt maintain it the way it was at that time .One look at the car and everyone was ready to buy it ,but I wanted to ensure that I sell it to someone who would take care the same way that I did .Hence decided to sell to a MASS owner in Mangalore ,only after he told me that he would be using it for his personal use and that he would agree to sell it back to me if I come back to India .
I always wanted to ask whether you got your Zen back or not, & it good to know that she is back with you.

Me & some older member from around Mumbai can attest how crazy this guy was/is for his Zen & how shiny & spotless he used to keep her. Not too mention he had even got 11k worth Fog lamps(are they still there) back then for this Zen
Technocrat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2011, 12:04   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
I always wanted to ask whether you got your Zen back or not, & it good to know that she is back with you.

Me & some older member from around Mumbai can attest how crazy this guy was/is for his Zen & how shiny & spotless he used to keep her. Not too mention he had even got 11k worth Fog lamps(are they still there) back then for this Zen
Yeah .It was spotless and very well maintained with a wax polishing almost every alternate week ! Now its got dents ( none of which are by me :( ) .But I havent repaired the dents .But engine and performance ...still flawless . The only major change it has gone since the previous time is 1- A 5.5J Evo rim as I couldnt find 5j rims . 2- The Automech exhaust is now MS headers and everything else SS . earlier it was full MS

About the Micro DE fog lamps ...yeah ..they were awesome ..I dont remember how much I had paid .. not sure if it was 8 k or 11k ..but I had driven Madikeri to Mangalore only on those fog lamps as my headlights blew off when i hit a pothole at 1 am in the night .These fog lamps are now available in India for 5.5K through Hella dealers

Another occasion ,it was those days when the shiradi ghat would be blocked for hours .A tempo trax driver said he knows of a small road but he said a car cant do .I said i will follow him and if at all i am stuck he could pull me out ..all this at 2 am in the night . We took this left and it was one awesome driving experience in fog and narrow winding roads .The roads surprisingly were good.Finally we reached a place where the bridge was underconstruction and we had to cross a muddy stretch where a truck and another qualis were already stuck .The trax driver just didnt stop for and he just drove away ! I was left with 2 options - drive back or try and take the risk .If I was stuck there ,I would be really screwed as there was no cell phone network as well .

Someone how the car made it through struggling for grip and at one point even i was stuck .Luckily the truck driver who was sleeping gave a big plank of wood and i was able to get out .After that it was some superb driving as if I was Leelakrishnan

This has been one very special car .Service is at every 5 k ..oil changes at 10 k and all other consumables like ( oils ,filters,plugs ,bushes) are changed at half the MUL specified intervals .With water pump belts changed compulsorily at 60 k and timing belt at 80 k .

It still has the original fuel pump and the same K&N filter which undergoes cleaning every 15-20 k kms .

Last edited by speedsatya : 23rd December 2011 at 12:05.
Old 23rd December 2011, 12:15   #23
BHPian

it seems I have a lot to contribute here
My father had a 1962 Standard Herald and that happened to be the first car in our house, immaculately maintained, quite rare to own a car in 70's. had to be sold as the spares were getting scare and maintenance cost increasing. I still hear my father remembering his first car... off late 2 Lamberattas my uncle sold for 4000/- without informing us and they were again in mint condition... daily used, every weekend serviced and all original. I get some consolation with my 1987 model Maruti 800 though
Old 23rd December 2011, 13:40   #24
BHPian

Re: How did you feel when you sold your car?

I tried to sell by 5 (now 6) year old Ford Fiesta, but didnt have the heart to do so.
Hopefully the Ecosport will help me decide.
Old 23rd December 2011, 13:41   #25
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I hate automotive separations . Plus, we usually keep our cars for long, so there are years of memories attached to the ride. Giving my Esteem away was a painful experience. Had got it home during the college days and sold when I turned 30. Ditto with the 118 NE, which was one of the first cars I ever drove on public roads.

On the other hand, I've just been glad to get rid of some cars. For instance, the 4 year old Indigo is falling apart & should be on the block in ~ 2 months. I can hardly wait to bid adieu.

The Seniors know there is one car from my garage which ain't ever wearing the "For Sale" signboard - My '97 Mahindra 4x4. Am so attached to her, and have had so many special times, that she's a permanent part of my life. A lifelong pal, if you will.
Old 23rd December 2011, 14:31   #26
Senior - BHPian

Re: Heartbreak when selling your car!

And here I was thinking, men dont cry!

Its always a sad feeling to let go off the beloved. Automobiles or the other kinds! We men, get over other breakups pretty soon, but cars? Nah. We aint programmed that ways.

The car I bought for myself from MY money was a humble WagonR. You name it, I did it in that car! Drove to Mahabi and Goa countless times in that humble ride.

I had absolute no intention of selling it. But last year, after getting the car serviced; for the heck of it, I dropped into True Value. To my genuine surprise, they offered me 2lacs for a 4 year old car! Without thinking, decided to sell the car, and went back into Sai Service to book a Swift.

The day those guys took the car, I literally had tears in my eyes! Sob.. Sob!

EDIT: Sagar, what an amazing thread. Sorry to see the Optra go. Now what car will you use to challenge 1self in ?
No, seriously, congrats on the Safari! So, finally you did buy the Safari huh .

Last edited by Amartya : 23rd December 2011 at 16:28. Reason: Thanks for the PM. Cheers.
Old 23rd December 2011, 14:49   #27
BHPian

I had a same feeling when I listed my Santro (7 Years old) for a sale in begining of November. I knew one Agent whom I approached for selling my car. Next morning (it was sunday) he came back with one potential customer who was desperate to buy a car as he himself was selling his own car. That guy told us that if negociations went well, he could pick up the car on the same day (by paying full amount) . Even amount he was quoting was far above our expectations. So whole sunday morning and afternoon, me and my family were feeling quiet down with a feeling of seperation form our first car!!!!

Eventually we decided to postponed the descision of selling our car till new year as the new car we had decided (Honda Jazz) was out of production.

Now the fear is we will have to go through the same heartbreak in new year!!!
Old 23rd December 2011, 14:55   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fre2bpowerless View Post
My first car was a 2005 Honda CR-V, after driving it for 3 years I upgraded but, I missed her like crazy. 2 months back, I convinced the owner to sell it to me and is now back in my garage.

She gets the parking right next to the Z4

I don't regret selling or miss any other. Sometimes, a car is just a machine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
Yeah .It was spotless and very well maintained with a wax polishing almost every alternate week ! Now its got dents ( none of which are by me

I remember one more like you guys in this forum. Headers (Vikram) did the same with his Gypsy which he loves so much. Bought it back and restored it and modified it and rocking with it still.
Old 23rd December 2011, 15:57   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Lovely thread TK! And sorry to hear about your beloved Optra Magnum's departure. Wish you many happy miles in the Safari!
I just hope my Safari will be able to satiate my apatite :P Thanks for sharing your response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
And here I was thinking, men dont cry!

EDIT: Sagar, what an amazing thread. Sorry to see the Optra go. Now what car will you use to challenge 1self in ?
No, seriously, congrats on the Safari! So, finally you did buy the Safari huh .
They do man, just that they dont shed tears

I don't but really feeling sad about Optra, if wife would have agreed, we would have kept it as a second car. And finally Safari, just keeping my fingers crossed till it comes at home, have missed the opportunity so many times, and hence little nervous about it.

Last edited by Amartya : 23rd December 2011 at 16:29. Reason: Avoid Hindi/any local language(unless accompanied with an English translation)
throttleking is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2011, 16:51   #30
Team-BHP Support

I did feel quite bad when we gave away our 8 year old Ikon. It’s still going quite strong, but thought it’s good to move on when the car is still in good health.

And there is something positive as well – the car has gone to my brother-in-law. So I will still get to drive the beauty when I go home

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks