Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2004, 09:30   #1
BHPian

If you used a search engine (yahoo, msn, google, alta vista, etc) and looked up keywords like "india car forums", "india auto discussions", "indian cars", and so on, you'll find that the results include countless sites in the results but not www.team-bhp.com. If you searched for "india cars", the first result you will see is indiacar.com. Plenty of folks (including myself) use standard search engines like the ones listed above to seek out specific interests on the web.

Regular engines query your web pages' meta data tags and <title> for the specific keywords searched. The more keywords you define on your page within these tags, the more likely your page would figure in the search results. However, search engines like google use a different logic. They look for the number of web pages that have links to your website. So, if you ask all your friends to provide links on their personal homepages to your website, chances are your website would figure in the results above all others.

Admin - Excuse me if this has been discussed already, else it's just food for thought...
Old 30th April 2004, 11:43   #2
Senior - BHPian

Nice thought powerslave,

I think in all fairness everyone could put up a little money just a very small amount and we could have one little road safety banner or something similar in leading newspapers. Spank me if you guys think im talking nonsense but just a thought.
Old 30th April 2004, 12:48   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Powerslave,

You have hit the nail right on the head. I have been trying since long to get team-BHP featured on google. Our previous forum, Formula India, did get listed after about 6 months of creation. Is it something to do with the search crawlers getting to you eventually?

If you have any suggestions or more thoughts on how to go about it, please PM me and we will take it from there. I am really keen on this happening. Will be a big plus for team-BHP.

GTO
Old 30th April 2004, 13:07   #4
BHPian

we cud also try listing team-bhp on www.dmoz.org which is a big open-directory database almost like google.
Old 30th April 2004, 13:24   #5
Senior - BHPian

Hey GTO we should get together the proper keywords and submit them to the search engine. We will surely get a listing then
Old 30th April 2004, 13:26   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ] and submit them to the search engine
And how do we do that?

GTO
Old 30th April 2004, 13:30   #7
Team-BHP Support

Powerslave!
I was thinking about exactly this like 5hrs ago!!!!!
I was daydreaming about what the various phrases that people would search for if they were looing for a forum on indian cars!

The funny thing is that even if you search for "team bhp" it shows up... in the discussion on indiacar.com

We gotta get listed on yahoo & google....the big fish...
I didnt know that google worked that way...interesting...
GTO, check with G about what our meta-tags are...put in stuff like "indian automotive forum, indian cars, discussion on indian cars, cars in the indian market," etc etc

also..chk this out... http://www.hairnet1.com/profile.htm

cya
R
Old 30th April 2004, 16:52   #8
Team-BHP Support

LMAO,,,,rehaan..

if i knew u guys were into hairnets...i would've signed up ages ago
Old 1st May 2004, 01:36   #9
BHPian

None of the search engines reveal the logic they use; it is usually a mix of hundreds of factors based on page ranks and indexes. It's not easy to feature on google, but it's worth trying out some experiments.
1) Get inbound links to your website. Make sure they're descriptive like Discuss indian cars or Indian autos forum, not team bhp. In other words, you have to get friends/relatives/family members to display links on their websites that point to yours. (If you have money to spend, advertize it on other websites ! ).
2) Get as many keywords in the meta, title, Alt tags of your website. These tags should appear on YOUR page. To see examples, pull up a website, rightclick and then click on "View Source". Search for "<META". You'll see what I mean.

Again, remember - this is not a sure shot way, but by doing this, you're just increasing the probablity of getting listed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]The funny thing is that even if you search for "team bhp" it shows up... in the discussion on indiacar.com
I noticed that too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]please PM me and we will take it from there
Will do !

Old 2nd May 2004, 06:00   #10
BANNED

u can list u r site to yahpp and msn for free of charge. i htink google charges!!!
Old 3rd May 2004, 01:48   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]

u can list u r site to yahpp and msn for free of charge
Hey Vishnu, can you please PM me the exacting details on this?

Thanks

GTO
Old 5th May 2004, 04:57   #12
BANNED

u can list them in lesser know search engines like ask jeeves. what u should do is like go there and register.
Old 12th May 2004, 13:25   #13
Team-BHP Support

Hey guys!

GOOD NEWS !!!!!

We are listed on google!!

I had put in a request with google about a week back, and i guess the spiders came around to our site and we are now listed!

However, still a long way to go.
The site only shows up when u search for "team-bhp".

GTO did you get my PM i sent a week ago about what is needed to get it listed with meta-tags and proper title etc etc?
This is a good start now that we are on there. We have a short time to make a few changes before the spider comes around again and updates our info on the google servers.

cheers!
Rehaan

Old 12th May 2004, 23:10   #14
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Rehaan,

The metatags have been forwarded to G, and should be incorporated by the weekend. However, I am not getting any direct team-bhp results on goodle. Just the same ol links to Indiacar and Formula India.

GTO
Old 12th May 2004, 23:14   #15
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys Congrats man seriously
One big leap on the google, makes you own the net!

yeah im tryin to quote and stuff but guess it dont work that way
C O N G R A T S

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks