Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2006, 10:06   #1
BHPian

Road Rage

Could not resist the urge to post after my experience this morning and wanted to find out what you guys think..

Generally, I am a sedate driver.. Especially on my commute to and back from work, I like to keep the drive very deterministic and predictable. I do not over speed. Nor do I threaten pedestrians and other traffic on the road.. I generally prefer sticking to my lane so long as folks ahead of me are doing atleast 30-40kmph.. I do not see huge value in weaving through the traffic, honking and generally causing massive nuisance when all Im going to save at the end of it may be a minute or two..

Today, on my way to work, I see this Indica (cab) on the left side of the road, who suddenly wants to nose into my way cos there is a small pothole on his section of the road. I was at a speed of about 40. So, there was enough time to react. And though the logical/sensible part of my brain said I should back off, the "red"/mad part of my brain said I will not allow the dude cut me in like that.. So, pushed my way through and did not let him pass..

Well.. so far, so good.. except that, now I hear a constant whining honk from behind, the guy going to any length.. running bikers off the road/getting autos to brake like mad, etc... and trying to squeeze his snout any which way to get past me..

Felt like it was a pathetic attempt to prove his machismo.. but well.. once the mad part of my head took over, I decided there is no way I am going to let him pass me.. It was not that difficult afterall.. I was driving a petrol car (baleno) and he was in a diesel indica.. The power difference is too high..

This is where I have always seen cab drivers/auto folks try to cash in on your fear factor.. you have much more to lose with a personal car than them (either their vehicles are already beaten down and a dent wont make much difference/they do not own them, so they dont care)..

It was quite amusing to see him try chasing me all along.. causing trouble to everybody on the way.. I was just having fun irritating the hell out of him.. slowing down.. pacing up, but always ensuring he stays away..

Of course, after a while, saw him disappear to a tiny spec in my rear view mirror when we reached an empty stretch..

Just wondering.. how many of you guys have felt this need to fix somebody's attitude.. I feel this urge when autos cut in.. to pay them back in the same manner..

I have always seen the indicas/omnis/sumos/qualises (all taxis..) are the worst.. attitude wise.. as they get down to honking with their loud triple horns and getting ready to kill anyone who gets into their way to just prove some point and overtake somebody.. Is it even worth it?

What are those guys smoking?
Old 16th March 2006, 10:11   #2
BHPian

Great goin man!....put em in their place...its sooo damn frustrating seeing them create a ruckus on the road and mess up the traffic flow...and they always think theyre right....feel like ramming into their cars every time they do it....congrats
Old 16th March 2006, 10:16   #3
Senior - BHPian

KGC, I can understand your behaviour completely, have felt the same way on many an occasion. As you've mentioned, what gets our goat is the fact that they want to cash in on the fact that we care more for our cars than they do for theirs!

Just make sure you don't ever get off the car and argue that's the only note of caution I would sound. I used to do this earlier but have toned down a lot nowadays (my wife is happy about this as I'd do it every time at night getting back home from somewhere) though still haven't been able to give up completely!

So, well done but take care!
Old 16th March 2006, 10:25   #4
BHPian

Yes, I agree with Suman. Although this irritates especially if you are a good driver and if someone tries to cut in, but as you have mentioned these guys just don't bother about either nudging you and hitting someone else in this process. They don't own these cars and there enough jobs around even if they get kicked out from their existing jobs. I also used to do the same as you did, but nowadays I found that this is of no use and it just spoils your BP to raise and there are plenty of such drivers around.
Old 16th March 2006, 10:26   #5
BANNED

Good Going Dude.. any one that screws a cab... ANY CAB deserves a pat on the back.. well done and KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK
Old 16th March 2006, 10:31   #6
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Trust me auto/bus/cab guys have a lot of attitude problem .. Used to chabi them once upon a time but then realised its just not worth playing with such jokers risking ur car as they dont mind even nudging from the back (most of them arent owned by the drivers) ..

Ever since one cab driver whacked into my zen ( must have seen v1p3r take off on him albeit without Mr.Jack ) touchwood the car didnt have a scratch also .. Since then if im slow and someone wants to get past i let even a bullock kart go pass me .. Just not worth risking it .. Always try to give way for cabbies & autos as they are the ones that cause major damage .. Get onto a track or a drag strip and ul see a totally reformed me ;-) ..

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 16th March 2006 at 10:34.
Old 16th March 2006, 11:01   #7
BHPian

i am also a sober kind of driver on roads.

but when somebody tries very hard to push me away to get my place on road, i just slows down and further slows down and then i futher slows down while he keeps on honking at my back.
then after the road ahead me is free, its all mine! and that honking chap is nowhere to be seen.

couple of times i almost stopped my car, say to a speed of 1-2kmph, and when he tried to get away by crossing me from left side by turning his steering almost fully, i stepped on the gas on the empty stretch ahead.

this seems to be a 'modest road rage'.
Old 16th March 2006, 11:49   #8
Senior - BHPian

I brake completely and let him p*** me. Thats the end. No metal tension, no threat to the upcoming traffic's.

Do you know these guys expects you not to let him p***, race with them & wants their blood to rush up. They want it as they enjoy it a lot, hence by letting him p*** through you are disallowing his enjoyment.
Old 16th March 2006, 12:03   #9
BHPian

analyse the situation

usually i m the 'modest road rage' driver but definitely ananlyse the situation before making my move.

once i was travelling with my 'girlfriend' now my wife when these 2 guys on a maruti omni travel past us zig-zagging and almost hitting us. i temper hit the roof and i revved up to catch this fellow who now was taking a u-turn. being fast previously he had 2 brake hard into the turn and i was able 2 catch him right there. i stopped my bike in front of this guy who had no choice but 2 stop since little ahead there were lot of "mamas" (traffik police poeple). before even the driver cud react i threw a solid punch right at his jaw, i hope that wud have been a nice lesson and wud prevent him from trying ny of this again.

but guys b sure if this was a lonely stretch i wud have abstained from this. just watch the scene, if u feel u can get support act as u want.
Old 16th March 2006, 12:16   #10
BANNED

I usually let fools like this p*** me and get in front. Then I let them have it with my 118 decibel Hella Red Grill horn, and if I really don't like them, I switch on my Stebel Nautilius 139 db pressure horn. You DO NOT want to be in front of me when they're blowing simultaneously.
Old 16th March 2006, 13:24   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Shiva
I usually let fools like this p*** me and get in front. Then I let them have it with my 118 decibel Hella Red Grill horn, and if I really don't like them, I switch on my Stebel Nautilius 139 db pressure horn. You DO NOT want to be in front of me when they're blowing simultaneously.
whoa!!

but do be careful in using if.. if there is a mamu standing nearby, you may have to go through some trouble!
Old 16th March 2006, 16:42   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Shiva
I usually let fools like this p*** me and get in front. Then I let them have it with my 118 decibel Hella Red Grill horn.
Like Boom Shiva, I let them p*** and use my Hella Red Grill horns against them when I am really irritated(because others on the road also get to hear the Hella Red Grills).

But it really is very difficult to stay calm with these jokers. I wish I could beat them with a baton or a chain like in the once popular game "Road Rash".... wishful thinking eh ?

Cheers
Santhosh
Old 16th March 2006, 17:02   #13
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
before even the driver cud react i threw a solid punch right at his jaw, i hope that wud have been a nice lesson and wud prevent him from trying ny of this again.

Oh this happens with me so many times ... But instead of wasting my fist i stop my car in front of the scum and flip out his keys and before the driver realises anything i'm off. Btw beign a lil well built also helps when it actually comes down to getting off the car and !@#^!##$(&)%
Old 16th March 2006, 17:07   #14
BHPian

kgc_cool,

buddy, i agree with you completely.
But, these cab drivers are like this only( this one must have been carrying women passengers alongside.., hence the need to prove that he is macho macho man!! )

Anyways, just let these guys get in front and go, no point in wasting your energy getting worked up over it , and doing something stupid.

Drive safe, always!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks