Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2006, 00:12   #1
BHPian

Self-healing paint / coating makes scratches vanish

hi members read an article in todays hindustan times about a paint developed by nissan which removes scratches by itself i think the paint will do exceptionally well in major indian cities if its available
Old 17th March 2006, 00:18   #2
Senior - BHPian

Sounds like a whole lot of gimmickry. Personally, i would prefer paint that prevents scratches in the first place rather than heal it.
Old 17th March 2006, 00:25   #3
Senior - BHPian

:rl

That must be somekind of a joke.
Old 17th March 2006, 07:59   #4
BHPian

Even if it is, it will cost so much that you might really want to consider just not bothering with it..

Much the same way like run-flat tyres..

I may just want to change the flat tyre and go throught the standard drill than run-flat! But, well.. that is me.. with my perspective from today..
Old 17th March 2006, 08:56   #5
SRK
Senior - BHPian

I think that paint has some elastic properties,it prevents scratches,by regaining its position but till a certain limit.
Old 17th March 2006, 10:47   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous
:rl

That must be somekind of a joke.
no nitrous they even had pictures posted in the paper four pictures to be precise 1st one the personal scratching the car with a steel brush,2nd one showing the scratches,3rd one showing(u have to pour warm water on the scratches) and the final one the scratches disappear
Old 17th March 2006, 10:57   #7
BHPian

Ye, like srk mentioned, it might have some elastic properties. Pour warm water or put it in the sun for sometime and the paint expands to its original composition. Sounds good, but then, ye, the cost of getting it done will be killing. But in our conditions, it's worth considering. But im sure it's only effective against light or hairline scratches.

Godspeed.

Alok.
Old 17th March 2006, 17:31   #8
BHPian

Yes i too read this in some auto magazine a few months before. It stated that the paint is infused with a special resin that helps prevent scratches from affecting it. The self healing paint is water-repellent and has higher resistance to scratches. It was already been offered in japan with an additional cost...Will not be too late when it comes to india.
Old 18th March 2006, 09:13   #9
SRK
Senior - BHPian

Instead the whole paint being elastic ,why not there be something like a layer,like teflon coating,but more effective,i mean I had teflon coating on my car but no effect was seen.
If something like that is there it can be less expensive.
Old 18th March 2006, 10:16   #10
Senior - BHPian

Rudra always tells Teflon is just a gimmick.
Old 18th March 2006, 12:35   #11
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Dear friends:

Some oils like linseed oil, tung oil (china wood oil) and perilla oil are called drying oils. They chemically react with air and dry to a solid coat.

Way back in the summer of 1987, at a 4x4 hobby meet in rural Washington State, (I think it was in a town called Woodinville), I once met a 4x4 pickup truck enthusiast who discussed with me, a unique phenomenon.

He had spray-painted his chassis with three or four coats of raw linseed oil.

The oil would surface dry to a fine gloss and protect the sheet metal.
If a scratch were to happen, the tacky oil inside would bleed out of the scratch and dry on contact with the atmosphere, sealing off the surface again. :-)

[Offtopic: By the way, Woodinville is home to a Ford Mustangs only, boneyard called the "Wild West Mustang Ranch".]

Ram
Old 18th March 2006, 21:47   #12
BHPian

Someone promote Mr. ram to a new category, GOD.
Old 14th March 2009, 10:42   #13
Senior - BHPian

Self-healing car coating makes scratches vanish

Published by Times News Network

Chicago: Scientists have developed a polyurethane coating that heals its own scratches when exposed to sunlight, offering the promise of scratch-free cars and other products, researchers said.

“We developed a polymeric material that is able to repair itself by exposure to the sun,” said Marek Urban of the University of Southern Mississippi in Hattiesburg, whose study appears in the journal Science.

“In essence, you create a scratch and that scratch will disappear upon exposure to the sun,” Urban said in an interview on the Science website on Thursday.

The self-healing coating uses chitosan, a substance found in the shells of crabs and shrimp. This is incorporated into traditional polymer materials, such as those used in coatings on cars to protect paint.

When a scratch damages the chemical structure, the chitosan responds to ultraviolet light by forming chemical chains that begin bonding with other materials in the substance, eventually smoothing the scratch. The process can take less than an hour.

Urban said the new coating uses readily available materials, offering an advantage over other self-repairing coatings, which he said were “fairly elaborate and economically unfeasible”. The team tested the compound’s properties using a razor-blade-thin scratch. “We haven’t done any of the tests to show how wide it can be,” Urban said.

He said the polymer can only repair itself in the same spot once, and would not work after repeated scratches. “Obviously, this is one of the drawbacks,” he said, adding that the chances are low of having two scratches in exactly the same spot.

Howell Edwards, who leads the chemical and forensic sciences division of the University of Bradford in Britain, said the findings were novel. AGENCIES
Old 14th March 2009, 10:47   #14
Senior - BHPian

Read this today, hope they bring this technology to production real fast. It will be a boon to countries where sadist people scratch cars for fun.
Old 14th March 2009, 10:54   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadu
Read this today, hope they bring this technology to production real fast. It will be a boon to countries where sadist people scratch cars for fun.
This will be one good thing to come into a market like India, where the scratches come free of cost

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks