Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2015, 15:33   #106
BHPian

Re: Question about Indian Customs and your experience

Thanks for the clarification.

Is there a way to check the percentage of duty levied? In my case, it is almost 80% of the cost plus shipping.
Old 2nd September 2015, 16:05   #107
BHPian

I have a package which included a remote controlled quad-copter detained by the customs. Reason being drones are no longer allowed to be imported. Fedex is the clearance agent and according to them the entire package will be destroyed by the customs. I requested for partial delivery of the remaining items but fedex agent says the entire package will be discarded and returning the item back to sender is a complicated procedure which involves fine/penalties and suggested not to go for it.

Will it help if I directly approach customs? Item is detained at Bangalore customs. Whom should I contact? Is there any other way out?

Last edited by Holyghost : 2nd September 2015 at 16:06.
Old 2nd September 2015, 18:54   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

No harm in approaching AC or DC directly. Explain it is a toy. Also if date of shipment is before date of ban notification it can help.

@Pallavi the total duty should be in range of 20~25%
Old 3rd September 2015, 00:22   #109
BHPian

Of late, customs have started harassing in the name of make in India. Had a recent issue where I was carrying a helmet that I bought in India back to India, and the officer wanted to charge duty on a used, smelly helmet. I showed him the emailed invoice but he refused to let it pass, until I called his senior.

Frustrating. Ache din
Old 3rd September 2015, 00:42   #110
Senior - BHPian

Fedex is managed by @$$&o!e$ here. A week before rakhi I received a call from them saying there was a package in my name being held by the customs, the description read Rakhi/Indian bracelet valued at US$8.00 and they wanted my email id to send me not 1, not 2 but 7 forms that needed to be filled up and submitted to the customs in order to clear the package. After conversing with the guy and realising that he would not give up on his parrot speak on the forms, I asked him in the nicest way possible (really, never shouted or anything) to open up the pack and tie the Rakhi to the customs officers and have fun.

Early next morning the 'SmartPak' was delivered

As Sudev said do approach the customs directly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyghost View Post
Fedex is the clearance agent and according to them the entire package will be destroyed by the customs.
Old 9th December 2015, 23:15   #111
BHPian

Posting on behalf of a friend (a silent reader of team-bhp)

"
Hi,

I have ordered this item from gearbest.com china on Sep 29, 2015. It has reached Mumbai Foreign Post Office on Nov 4, 2015 and the status is "Retention reason : Awaiting presentation to customs commissioner". I have not yet received it on delivery address in Kalwa, Thane.

Tracking number is RI644769717CN.

What could be the reason and what's the meaning of the status. "

Please help
Old 9th December 2015, 23:22   #112
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by motionfreak View Post
What could be the reason and what's the meaning of the status. "

Please help
Here you go. Posting an excerpt from that link -- Should get the meaning out clearly!

Quote:
Parcels get delayed and the message shows ~ "awaiting presentation to customs commissioner" because either the person is on leave or the work pressure is tremendously high. No need to worry!!! Just wait for few days and keep a regular track-check!! And yes, also contact your local post office well before time.
http://answers.travelchinaguide.com/question/547900.htm
Old 16th December 2015, 04:25   #113

How much time does custom office normally take to clear a package? Here is the tracking info:

Destination Country - Tracking Consuming: 618 ms
2015-12-10 13:54 India, MUMBAI AIR, Send item to customs (Inb), Air, MUMBAI FOREIGN POST OFFICE
2015-12-10 11:17 India, MUMBAI AIR, Receive item at office of exchange (Inb), Air, MUMBAI AIRPORT SORTING OFFICE
2015-12-09 15:34 Hong Kong, HONG KONG AIR MAIL CENTRE, Insert item into bag (Otb), Air
2015-12-08 11:28 Hong Kong, Receive item from customer (Otb), Air

Origin Country - Tracking Consuming: 21330 ms
2015-12-10 00:00 India, The item (RC218894145HK) is pending customs inspection at the destination as of 10-Dec-2015.

Item is: a motherboard.
Old 16th December 2015, 17:32   #114
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by meonbhp View Post
How much time does custom office normally take to clear a package? Here is the tracking info:

Destination Country - Tracking Consuming: 618 ms
2015-12-10 13:54 India, MUMBAI AIR, Send item to customs (Inb), Air, MUMBAI FOREIGN POST OFFICE
2015-12-10 11:17 India, MUMBAI AIR, Receive item at office of exchange (Inb), Air, MUMBAI AIRPORT SORTING OFFICE
2015-12-09 15:34 Hong Kong, HONG KONG AIR MAIL CENTRE, Insert item into bag (Otb), Air
2015-12-08 11:28 Hong Kong, Receive item from customer (Otb), Air

Origin Country - Tracking Consuming: 21330 ms
2015-12-10 00:00 India, The item (RC218894145HK) is pending customs inspection at the destination as of 10-Dec-2015.

Item is: a motherboard.
It should be cleared by this weekend. If there is duty levied, the postman will collect it from you, or you will be asked to come to post office.
Old 16th December 2015, 19:47   #115
BANNED

Hi all,

I want to bring my old TV from Bangkok (i used to live there) but have moved to India 2 years back. The TV is still there and i could ask a friend to bring it. Is it possible and what are the complications for an used tv?

Will bring it through Delhi airport. If needed, the old bills and receipts will be avaible on show.
Old 21st December 2015, 10:26   #116
BHPian

Hi all,

So I just ordered a pair of OEM Hyundai Headlight assemblies for my car. It was sent through EMS from Seoul, Korea. It has now arrived at Mumbai and is being held at Customs. The seller has undervalued the invoice.

How long does it take to get custom clearance and delivery to Bengaluru ?!?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks & Regards,
Aniketh

Question about Indian Customs and your experience-imageuploadedbyteambhp1450673737.284653.jpg
Attached details for reference.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Team-BHP
Old 21st December 2015, 14:07   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhoneycake View Post
So I just ordered a pair of OEM Hyundai Headlight assemblies for my car. It was sent through EMS from Seoul, Korea. It has now arrived at Mumbai and is being held at Customs. The seller has undervalued the invoice.
I wonder whether India Post ever take up customs clearance of goods passing through it's system. I have once lost a consignment and have never repeated the mistake again; I now book it through a logistics company. Please keep us posted on how things work out, curious to know.
Old 21st December 2015, 21:29   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeesh View Post
Of late, customs have started harassing in the name of make in India. Had a recent issue where I was carrying a helmet that I bought in India back to India, and the officer wanted to charge duty on a used, smelly helmet. I showed him the emailed invoice but he refused to let it pass, until I called his senior.

Frustrating. Ache din
I shipped in a kayak from South Africa. The documentation was tedious and one has to go through an agent to manage the process locally, for the Customs as well as the LCL handling, but the customs clearance itself was quite uneventful. The agent asked for the kayak's details to ensure proper classification for customs duty, proof that the item was invoiced properly, and that was it. The duty was paid online (a stiff 47%, but that is another matter altogether), and the shipment was released immediately.
Old 22nd December 2015, 00:36   #119
Senior - BHPian

There are designated post offices in all large metros with a customs desk. An officer is actually posted there and she/he assesses the duty on various packages that pass through.

My most recent purchase last month was shipped via OCS by the seller in the UK and then it disappeared from the system only to reappear within the promised delivery time and was delivered by our local post man. Value was approx. 150 British pounds and duty was 0. In the past too I have received packages delivered by the post office wherein the postman has collected customs duty against a pre prepared receipt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
I wonder whether India Post ever take up customs clearance of goods passing through it's system. I have once lost a consignment and have never repeated the mistake again; I now book it through a logistics company. Please keep us posted on how things work out, curious to know.
Old 22nd December 2015, 19:12   #120
BHPian

Question about Indian Customs and your experience

Now my parcel is being retained at customs in Bengaluru. What could be the reason ??? Also how do I get this cleared ?? Should I go down to the GPO and get this sorted or should I wait??

Question about Indian Customs and your experience-imageuploadedbyteambhp1450791609.215899.jpg

Any help would be appreciated. BTW that phone no. is out of order.

Thanks,
Aniketh

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Team-BHP

Last edited by drhoneycake : 22nd December 2015 at 19:17.

Most Viewed