Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2012, 12:43   #1
Senior - BHPian

Hello Chennai!

Hello everyone,a happy new year to all of you.

I am from Calcutta,and also i have spent my last 4 yrs in college in Bangalore.

Recently i have been intimidated that my posting shall be in Chennai,and my joining date is tentatively going to be on 1st Feb,for accenture.Having never been to chennai,i have no idea how to find my way around this place,would love if some of you can give me some pointers about where is the office,and places to stay.All details about exact location and all shall be given to me later.

Infact when i got my letter the first thing that came to my mind was which all supercars are there in chennai.Trust the tbhpian in me to think like that.

I am looking forward to meet some of chennai tbhpain's,and also spend a new phase of my life in this city.

Thanking you all,

Regards
Avishar Dutta
Old 4th January 2012, 15:37   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hello Chennai!

Welcome to Chennai !!!

You should not have issues finding your way around in Chennai - PTS is pretty robust here. Regarding pointers about where your office is, you should tell us the address first. I know of an Accenture office on OMR, which is the IT corridor. Not sure if they have other offices.

I have been to Calcutta many times and stayed there occasionally for a few days too. Loved the Metro. I got myself acquainted with various places by using PTS or walking through the streets. Nice place. Loved the mishti-doi & rosagollas !!!
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2012, 16:16   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hey Avishar! Welcome to Chennai!

I'm sure you'll have a great time here! As a BHPian make sure you head to the track sometime

We'll be able to help you out more if you share the address of your office.

Cheers!
Old 4th January 2012, 16:37   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Welcome to Chennai !!!

You should not have issues finding your way around in Chennai - PTS is pretty robust here. Regarding pointers about where your office is, you should tell us the address first. I know of an Accenture office on OMR, which is the IT corridor. Not sure if they have other offices.
Thanks for the welcome!Well the thing is the have not said which one will be my office,because i shall be undergoing training.My joining is on 1st feb.I checked their website,they have offices in 3 places.

1.On OMR.

2. In Shriram The Gateway - SEZ ,16, GST Road ,Perungalathur

3. In Little Mount, Guindy,

Nice to know about your experiences in Calcutta,and oh yes,we Bongs are bought on mishti doi's and rossogolla's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
Hey Avishar! Welcome to Chennai!

I'm sure you'll have a great time here! As a BHPian make sure you head to the track sometime

We'll be able to help you out more if you share the address of your office.

Cheers!
Thank you,would love to head to the track,and hopefully also witness a supercar outing there.
Old 4th January 2012, 16:52   #5
Senior - BHPian

^^^
The office in Guindy would be the one in the city. Easily accessible by bus or electric-train, from most parts of Chennai.
The one on OMR is at Sholinganallur, which is also accessible by bus. Or take MRTS till TIDEL-Park and then take bus/share-auto.
The Perungalathur office is outside the city, after Tambaram. Best option to reach from city would be the electric train.
Old 6th January 2012, 20:37   #6
Senior - BHPian

You also need to know where are you going to stay in the initial days. Based on that collect the PTS details and avoid using Autos in the initial days, these guys are known to extract the money from visitors. Until you are familiar with negotiation skills with Auto Drivers and places and distance my recommendation to you will be stay away from Autos.

Mostly the new postings in Accenture is in Perungalathur, your case may be different hence post the exact location of your office. Getting bachelor accomodation in OMR and Perungalathur is the easiest one and you should be ok.
trammway is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2012, 12:41   #7
BHPian

Welcome Avishar,

If your posting is in Perungalathur, advice you take up accommodation around Tambaram area else you would be spending 3 -4 hrs daily on commutation.

You posting is like to be there or in OMR if your into IT. I think the office in Mount Road is Accenture Management Consulting.

Rgds
Marlon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2012, 13:41   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
Recently i have been intimidated that my posting shall be in Chennai,and my joining date is tentatively going to be on 1st Feb,for accenture.

Avishar Dutta
Avishar,

Welcome to Chennai. I guess your posting will be at Perungalathur (I guess you are a fresher - More chances of being in Perungalathur office than Shollinganallur).

You can take up accomodation around Tambaram Area. It will be within 2kms of Perungalathur facility.

However, personally - I would suggest taking accomodation somewhere close to Medavakkam. Advantage being - its halfway between shollinganallur and Perungalathur. In case you are transferred to the other office (Chances of training being in one office, bench being in the other, project being in another etc cant be ruled out) it is within 30 mins travel to either office.

Another advantage with Medavakkam is that if your friends are posted in one office (Say Shollinganallur) and you are in the other office, you can still get a room/ house together! I guess it will be lot more fun to be in a group since you are new to Chennai.

If you want to stay in a really happening place, and yet be close to office - Try Tiruvanmiyur RTO, Velacheri or Adyar. Main disadvantage though is that these places are ~25 kms away from Perungalathur office (and commute will take more than 1 hour).

Let me know incase you need any more info close to joining date. Accenture should be providing 10 days of accomodation, and hence you wont need to worry about all these things now itself. Once you get the hotel details + training facility, we can help you with the rest of the planning.
Quote:
Infact when i got my letter the first thing that came to my mind was which all supercars are there in chennai.Trust the tbhpian in me to think like that.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super-...otics-329.html

Here you go - all of 329 pages.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 13th January 2012 at 13:48.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2012, 15:42   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

However, personally - I would suggest taking accomodation somewhere close to Medavakkam. Advantage being - its halfway between shollinganallur and Perungalathur. In case you are transferred to the other office (Chances of training being in one office, bench being in the other, project being in another etc cant be ruled out) it is within 30 mins travel to either office.

Another advantage with Medavakkam is that if your friends are posted in one office (Say Shollinganallur) and you are in the other office, you can still get a room/ house together! I guess it will be lot more fun to be in a group since you are new to Chennai.

+1 to this suggestion. I would also add velachery to this list. But traveling becomes little hectic.
Old 13th January 2012, 17:26   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlon View Post
Welcome Avishar,

If your posting is in Perungalathur, advice you take up accommodation around Tambaram area else you would be spending 3 -4 hrs daily on commutation.
Thank you,doing a bit of searching on wikimapia about places and distances!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Avishar,

Welcome to Chennai. I guess your posting will be at Perungalathur (I guess you are a fresher - More chances of being in Perungalathur office than Shollinganallur).
Thank you for those detailed suggestions!Accenture has not yet told me which office,so waiting for that.Will do some recce of the places you have mentioned for accommodation.

Oh,and about the supercar thread have been following all since beginning!I really hope cannonball club comes to chennai as well.

Last edited by avishar : 13th January 2012 at 17:27.
Old 13th January 2012, 19:41   #11
BHPian

Welcome to Chennai, avishar, and wish you a pleasant life here!

I drive by Shriram Gateway, Perungalathur everyday to Mahindra City. I can see a lot of suggestions and tips is already laid out by others. Happy to help in anyway I can, feel free to ask!

Cheers!
Old 13th January 2012, 23:07   #12
BHPian

Hey avishar! Welcome to Chennai and all the very best for your first job! Am already seeing lots of help flowing in for you. Here are my few cents:

As already pointed out by members, you will either be posted in Shols (thats Sholinganallur's short form) or in Perungalathur and both these places are very well connected by PTS.

Try to AVOID AUTOS till you get familiarized with routes, distance and more importantly, bargaining. For the same reason, I would suggest you to have a few Chennai-tes (might be t-bhpians) contact number so that you can call them up in case of any issues. I, for one, am ready to share my contact number with you. Let me know if you need that.

Cheers and have a pleasant stay!
Old 14th January 2012, 10:15   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you,doing a bit of searching on wikimapia about places and distances!
I dont need Wiki for Chennai. Am a local guy and staying in Chennai for last 30 yrs ( since birth)
Old 14th January 2012, 19:40   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlon View Post
I dont need Wiki for Chennai. Am a local guy and staying in Chennai for last 30 yrs ( since birth)
No,no i meant i was doing a research on wiki.Sorry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssh1979 View Post
Welcome to Chennai, avishar, and wish you a pleasant life here!

I drive by Shriram Gateway, Perungalathur everyday to Mahindra City. I can see a lot of suggestions and tips is already laid out by others. Happy to help in anyway I can, feel free to ask!

Cheers!
Thank you!I shall surely ask.Just waiting for the confirmation of the office.

Quote:
Originally Posted by callvvijay View Post
Hey avishar! Welcome to Chennai and all the very best for your first job! Am already seeing lots of help flowing in for you. Here are my few cents:

As already pointed out by members, you will either be posted in Shols (thats Sholinganallur's short form) or in Perungalathur and both these places are very well connected by PTS.

Cheers and have a pleasant stay!
Thank you so very much!Jotting down all the tips.
Old 14th January 2012, 20:39   #15
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to Chennai Avishar. These days the city is not as alien to North Indians as say 10 years back. You might have to make some effort though to get your Macher Jhol. Do let ne know in case you need any assistance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks