Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2018, 18:34   #196
BHPian

Re: Joining The Armed Forces

A career in the armed forces should be compulsory. Teaches a young bloke the values of discipline and integrity, which lacks in our youth due to an oversight of our forefathers (who almost had the same problems). It was always a prime wish of mine to join a career in armed forces not only because of perks, the quality of life and the respect, but to gain an education that Indian education system sorely missed to provide. If you think about it, the army men are the true gentlemen, jack of all sports, skilled with a gun and a knife, extremely sharp and disciplined, confident, have true friends from within the battlefield and globally and they follow strict principles. A veteran will almost certainly woo away any girl too

What went wrong then? I guess my family convinced me to choose 'some other' dull career because of their sheer ignorance. Anyway, I'm here to ask something:

1. I'm a 22-year old mechanical (and automotive) engineer with skills in computer science and data analysis. How do I get into the army/navy/AF (TGC? SSC?)

2. I'm blind without glasses (myopia). -3.75D in the right eye and -3.25D in the left eye. 6/6 vision with corrective glasses. How do I get into the army/navy/AF (I suppose field work is out of the question, will have to apply for technical positions)? I'm fit otherwise. Cycled 30 kms at a mixed pace in about 2 hours and 10 minutes. Can jog for about 7 kms on good days.
Old 23rd June 2018, 19:11   #197
BANNED

Funnily, other than Nandu and Goandude, most others who have posted on this topic have had medical issues that prevented them from joining the Armed Forces.
While I agree that the Armed Forces are a good option for a young aspirant, I would gently disagree with the sales pitch that it is an outstanding option.
Nandu himself lasted only twenty years in the Navy and found a more financially meaningful job in the Merchant Navy. If the regular Navy was indeed that wonderful a place to be in, why the shift ?
Secondly, only service personnel who get good civil employment after their Service tenures, look back nostalgically. Otherwise it is their children who enjoyed cantonment life who wax lyrical about the services whilst being comfortably employed abroad. Other veterans are not equally ecstatic about their careers.
There is an acute stagnation of careers in the Armed Forces. Nearly 80 percent of the officers are permanently finished career-wise by the time they are 38. Yes it is 38.
And let us face it; saying that an adventurous life means more than financial reward is good if your father is handing you down a reasonable fortune, otherwise you struggle with a stagnant career, very moderate salaries and the rigours of incessant transfers.
It is credit to the Indian psyche that despite all this, our faujis keep their chin up and serve the Nation.
fiestarry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2018, 19:32   #198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by typlo View Post
Anyway, I'm here to ask something:.
Check today's Indian Express, there's an ad for Short Service Commission technical entry recruitment. Should be there in the other major newspapers too.
Old 23rd June 2018, 22:17   #199
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I guess my family convinced me to choose 'some other' dull career because of their sheer ignorance. Anyway, I'm here to ask something:

1. I'm a 22-year old mechanical (and automotive) engineer with skills in computer science and data analysis. How do I get into the army/navy/AF (TGC? SSC?)
Visit their websites. It will tell you where to start with your application. Also the newspapers have applications every few weeks for various openings. As you seem to have completed your engineering degree you would be what is called a 'direct entry' candidate. While you need to assess your preferences my suggestion would be Navy-Army-Air Force in that order for a mechanical engineer. But as I said to each his own. In an engineering branch you are a supporting crew but a fulfilling career nevertheless. If as an engineer you have an inclination to further your qualifications the opportunity to do your M.Tech. from a top institute like an IIT will be there. I would say go for it. The pay and facilities are much better than they were 3 decades back. I have first cousins still serving and my brother-in-law retired just last year at 60. I see them enjoy a reasonable lifestyle, a lot of izzat (that business wallahs like me don't get) and a deep sense of belonging to a fraternity that is priceless. Best of luck.
Old 24th June 2018, 09:25   #200
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
A career in the armed forces should be compulsory. Teaches a young bloke the values of discipline and integrity, which lacks in our youth due to an oversight of our forefathers (who almost had the same problems).
There was a time, when I was young, I would have agreed with you. But not anymore. That also means I am old now.

Not everybody will enjoy and learn from highly disciplined life. Some kind of careers (especially creative) benefit from exactly opposite life experiences. I would have fit in very well in armed forces. I know because I was in NCC, and was commanding 80 cadets (half company) by the time left as a senior under officer. Of the 80 cadets only 30-35 were regularly attending. And that was considered high attendance. Rest found the physical exertion to be torture, disciplining to be demeaning, and marching to be pointless. And these are the folks who volunteered for NCC. Now imagine how the rest would think about compulsory service. Only a small minority really enjoy the physical exertion and camaraderie of being cadets. Rest were there because a NCC B certificate might help them medical/engineering seat.

Also, lots of folks are pacifists by nature, if you train them, they will only feel miserable. Look up experiences of citizens in countries where armed services is compulsory for 2 years. It is not all rosy.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2018, 12:00   #201
BHPian

I am 39 and waiting for the Territorial Army advt to appear. I always admired the Army wallahs and also have great respect for them. This is my last chance to get into the Territorial army. Any guidance would be highly appreciated. I am gainfully employed.
Old 3rd July 2018, 18:42   #202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
There was a time, when I was young, I would have agreed with you. But not anymore. That also means I am old now.
Apologies for the late reply. I simply meant to say that an army school/career have more priority for physical activities and choices. Perhaps I did not make myself clear.

You must be aware of the amount of attention Indian parents give to academics. While that is important, it doesn't teach a young person anything other than slogging for exams and getting good grades. I just meant that being in an army career opens you up to horse riding for example, besides other things. And sports + activities do matter in the overall development of an individual (confidence, discipline, organisation of thoughts?). Your point is valid as well. Some may be in an army career just for the namesake, but isn't that the story almost everywhere?
Old 22nd August 2018, 22:23   #203
BHPian

Joining The Armed Forces - An insight into the IAF of yesteryears

Slightly Off Topic but I came across a really well written blog by an ex IAF Pilot who has a penchant for the written word, with generous doses of humour thrown in - helps the uninitiated gain an insight into the lives of our bretheren in uniform.

Here's his blog.

http://cyclicstories.blogspot.com/

Here are some interesting and humorous stories about camaraderie including experiences in the war, insurgency, a take on Arunachal, a glimpse of life in the services and other interesting experiences) from the blog .

Happy Reading.

Cheers !

(Articles courtesy http://cyclicstories.blogspot.com/)

Last edited by Ironhide : 22nd August 2018 at 22:24. Reason: Structure
Ironhide is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2023, 12:50   #204
BHPian

This thread has been dormant for a long time. Let me resurrect it with a question.

I did not see a mention of Sainik Schools in the thread. How is it as an option for a kid looking at a career in the Army? My son (currently in 9th STD) appeared for the exam but did not make it to the initial list in the school of choice. We had given up hope.

But looks like a vacancy has opened up and he might get a call. Now we are in two minds - should we take him out of regular school and proceed with Sainik school or wait till he completed 12th and then try for NDA?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks