Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2012, 18:51   #1
BHPian

Joining The Armed Forces

A significant number of Team BHP members belong to the Armed Forces or may have retired.

I was wondering if a PANEL could be formed of Members who have served in the Army/Navy/Air Force who could motivate and guide Team Bhp members to consider a career in the Armed Forces for their sons/daughters.

I retired having served in the Indian Navy for 22 years in 1998 and since I am sailing in the Merchant Navy.

After retiring and having settled down in Pune, I started to interact with Civilians much more than when I was in the Navy.

I realised that most people (read parents) had a poor knowledge of a career in the Armed Forces.

Most parents were majorly following the herd attitiude to groom their kids for a future in IIT/Engineering/Medicine//Archietecture/MBA even Hotel Management and some such careers. No offence meant to IITians and Engineers. When I asked many such friends why not consider the Armed Forces, I found that none had applied their minds to that option at all.

I told my firends "Look after the VIth Pay Commission the Pay and Perks are unbeatable to that offered by the Private Sector. The promotion prospects are garunteed upto he 4th level minimum, starting salaries are around Rs 30,000, perks are a dime a dozen. Pensions after 20 years service is a cool Rs 50 k and rising. Vacations 60 days per year, free Medicals and so on and so forth. Memberships to clubs, golf, and what not. The most important thing is QUALITY OF LIFE which the Armed Forces affords which cannot be matched in the Private Sector. "

I am glad to say that over the last 10 years I have motivated around 14 kids to join the Armed Forces and all are rocking!

My own kids are in the USA earning good salaries and living a good life.But they tell me "Dad we cannot dream of a life style that we lived as kids in the Indian Navy environment and the way you and Mom lived your life."

My son was a definative NDA prospective but Medicals shattered his dreams of joining the Armed Forces. Most regretfully he works for Bill Gates instead of the Indian Air Force.

Let's set the ball rolling.

Last edited by nanduchitnis : 9th January 2012 at 18:54.
nanduchitnis is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 9th January 2012, 19:08   #2
BHPian

Re: Joining The Armed Forces

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanduchitnis View Post
A significant number of Team BHP members belong to the Armed Forces or may have retired.

I was wondering if a PANEL could be formed of Members who have served in the Army/Navy/Air Force who could motivate and guide Team Bhp members to consider a career in the Armed Forces for their sons/daughters.

I retired having served in the Indian Navy for 22 years in 1998 and since I am sailing in the Merchant Navy.

After retiring and having settled down in Pune, I started to interact with Civilians much more than when I was in the Navy.

I realised that most people (read parents) had a poor knowledge of a career in the Armed Forces.

My son was a definative NDA prospective but Medicals shattered his dreams of joining the Armed Forces. Most regretfully he works for Bill Gates instead of the Indian Air Force.

Let's set the ball rolling.

Great initiative Commander C! (please forgive me if I have mentioned your rank wrongly)

If only I could make my son think of a services career, it would make a man out of him from the lazy slob he is!

I have asked him to read this, hopefully he will at least read it with some seriousness and give it some thought.
RS_DEL is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2012, 19:13   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi skipper, nice thread!

Agree that the perks and privileges of an armed forces career, not to mention the sheer respect and dignity it commands, is unmatched by any private sector or government job, but getting into the armed forces is not a "soft" option for many families. In my immediate family, I've noticed that services folks' kids tend to be more inclined to follow in their parents' footsteps, e.g. my cousin is a retired Wing Commander whose son (a little older than me) is a Captain in the navy. Similar cases abound on my wife's side of the family as well: the most extreme being a cousin who's father was in the Army, brother joined the Air Force and she herself got married to a Navy man!

I know at least 2 BHPians who've confessed to me their deepest desire to get into the forces but failed at some stage or the other, eventually settling for engineering/MBA and the like. In my own case, it wasn't even an option: even if the hereditary bad eyesight was somehow bypassed, the lack of physical courage and an appalling lack of athletic ability could not!

Am just providing an alternative point of view here, please take it in the right spirit!

edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS_DEL View Post
If only I could make my son think of a services career, it would make a man out of him from the lazy slob he is!
I hope you're joking. Pardon my saying so but your son will be a man if he makes a success of the career HE chooses.

Last edited by noopster : 9th January 2012 at 19:16.
Old 9th January 2012, 19:14   #4
Senior - BHPian

That is indeed very nice of you nandu saab - a very interesting and noble initiative.

But regarding notions of junta - here is what hindi movies have been showing over the years (can't say what vernacular movies show)
from army man or engineer (often modest origins) or doctor to an IT guy and now an investment banker.

The unfortunate perception (drilled further by the cost of even suburban real estate) is that such jobs are the only way to make a reasonable amount of money quickly and earn a reasonable set of assets in quick time (in an era of 10%+ inflation).

Till that perception is addressed at a larger level, things won't change at a larger level - don't you think?

btw - kudos to you - encouraging 14 people to take up the armed forces is seriously impressive. Does the MoD send you a referral cheque or not? They better!!

Last edited by phamilyman : 9th January 2012 at 19:15.
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2012, 19:17   #5
MX6
Senior - BHPian

I got through SSC. Didn't take it though and went pursuing higher education. I felt that one can always serve the country in any which field and also enjoy the quality of life if they are willing to go in search of it.
While I do hold the armed services people with high esteem, I don't get a feeling of missing out on any of the priveleges or the fun or the name or the fame. And am also clear that I'd let my daughter chose her path and just help equip her for the same in my possible capacity.
Having said that, Good thread here and Jai Hind.
MX6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2012, 19:31   #6
BHPian

Hey guys this thread is for those Members whose kids are around an age wanting to make a career and looking at what the Armed Forces has to offer without prejudice to other career options.

Those who are already well settled elsewhere are not the target of this thread. I just want to create an awareness of a career in the Forces.
nanduchitnis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2012, 19:37   #7
BHPian

Nice thread there Sir,

I belong to the category of those blokes who get through and then drop out. I got through the CDSE in 2009 (Medicals included, AIR 23) and then dropped out to join a private sector organisation. Money and growth were the reasons I gave myself, but no sooner than I had settled down, I got that itch and regret again. I could not apply again for time/ age factor, but I motivated my younger bro to jooin the NDA. I also have to my credit a few good men whom I motivated to get into the forces.

I now work towards increasing information in the functioning of the parliament of India with a keen interest in Defense/ Strategy affairs.

Glued to the thread.

Cheers,
Tapish
Tapish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2012, 19:39   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
That is indeed very nice of you nandu saab - a very interesting and noble initiative.

But regarding notions of junta - here is what hindi movies have been showing over the years (can't say what vernacular movies show)
from army man or engineer (often modest origins) or doctor to an IT guy and now an investment banker.

The unfortunate perception (drilled further by the cost of even suburban real estate) is that such jobs are the only way to make a reasonable amount of money quickly and earn a reasonable set of assets in quick time (in an era of 10%+ inflation).

Till that perception is addressed at a larger level, things won't change at a larger level - don't you think?

btw - kudos to you - encouraging 14 people to take up the armed forces is seriously impressive. Does the MoD send you a referral cheque or not? They better!!
And by the way without prejudice at your age I WAS HAVING A BALL at your age when I was in the Navy. Why? Because you have to pay whereas I got it FREE! Trust me Hitanshu, you have met me in person. I would love to think what a ROCKING life you would have had
in the Forces given your attitude for EXTEEEM ADVENTURE and life in general!! Imagine Lt Gen Hitanshu Gandhi, Corps Commander, Northern Army Command!! All for free friend!

Hitanshu just a small fraction of the student population can make it IIT / IIM A like you have.

Quick money? Trust me, I meet newly retired officers who have saved enough money to afford 3 BHK houses costing around a Crore in Pune and have great jobs in the private sector post retirement after 20 yrs service.

Let me put it this way

A Carrer in the Armed Forces is not JOB for money or worse. It is A WAY OF LIFE , quite unmatched anywhere.

Last edited by nanduchitnis : 9th January 2012 at 19:47.
nanduchitnis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2012, 19:51   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapish View Post
Nice thread there Sir...
Tapish, well you missed the Boat but your brother will certainly make up for that! Keep the ball rolling !

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
And am also clear that I'd let my daughter chose her path and just help equip her for the same in my possible capacity.
Having said that, Good thread here and Jai Hind.
MX 6 just make her aware that there is a rocking carrer option for her in the Armed Forces. The best way to do that is to introduce her to Women Officers in the Forces and to get a first hand knowledege from them.

I get a massive kick when I meet Women Officers socially, specially from the flying branch of the IAF !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Hi skipper, nice thread!

Agree that the perks and privileges of an armed forces career, not to mention the sheer respect and dignity it commands, is unmatched by any private sector or government job, but getting into the armed forces is not a "soft" option for many families. In my immediate family, I've noticed that services folks' kids tend to be more inclined to follow in their parents' footsteps, e.g. my cousin is a retired Wing Commander whose son (a little older than me) is a Captain in the navy. Similar cases abound on my wife's side of the family as well: the most extreme being a cousin who's father was in the Army, brother joined the Air Force and she herself got married to a Navy man!

I know at least 2 BHPians who've confessed to me their deepest desire to get into the forces but failed at some stage or the other, eventually settling for engineering/MBA and the like. In my own case, it wasn't even an option: even if the hereditary bad eyesight was somehow bypassed, the lack of physical courage and an appalling lack of athletic ability could not!

Am just providing an alternative point of view here, please take it in the right spirit!

edit:

I hope you're joking. Pardon my saying so but your son will be a man if he makes a success of the career HE chooses.
Noopster the key question is this. Are your relatives happy ? My son had the same issue EYESIGHT and now he is living a rich sad life with Microsoft in America. Very sad. Money os not everything nor is America.

Last edited by Rehaan : 11th January 2012 at 23:42. Reason: Merging consecutive posts.
nanduchitnis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2012, 20:01   #10
BHPian

Sir,

Excellent initiative.
Am an army kid and completely agree with everything you say - about the post VI pay commission, perks, facilities, and respect.

I got through NDA written for Naval Acad, but for my terrible eysight I'd be in uniform today.

So I did the usual, Engg-> Work-> MBA-> Work; and now after ~12 years of corporate life, I really realize what I am missing.

I feel Army/Navy/AirForce don't do a very good job of selling themselves to the youngsters.

And I can say this confidently - atleast for myself, after having worked for several known names as an employee and many more as an consultant/advisor - that Fauji life is significantly better.

But, whenever I have advised kids to think about fauj as a career option, their parents seem to not take it too well . The conversation then becomes "please tell which stream to do Engg in" or "which MBA major" or "is this MBA school good for job placements" etc etc.
lazy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2012, 20:08   #11
BHPian

Being born and brought up in Goa, I grew up watching Sea Harriers hovering overhead. Saw a crash and subsequent rescue in my village. I wanted to be a fighter pilot, Su30, but my eyesight prevented it from happening. I encourage people to join forces and serve our country. Next is line is my kid cousin bro

You are doing great work. Please keep it up.

Last edited by akshay380 : 9th January 2012 at 20:10.
akshay380 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2012, 20:10   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy View Post
Sir,

Excellent initiative.
Am an army kid and completely agree with everything you say - about the post VI pay commission, perks, facilities, and respect.

I got through NDA written for Naval Acad, but for my terrible eysight I'd be in uniform today.

So I did the usual, Engg-> Work-> MBA-> Work; and now after ~12 years of corporate life, I really realize what I am missing.

I feel Army/Navy/AirForce don't do a very good job of selling themselves to the youngsters.

And I can say this confidently - atleast for myself, after having worked for several known names as an employee and many more as an consultant/advisor - that Fauji life is significantly better.

But, whenever I have advised kids to think about fauj as a career option, their parents seem to not take it too well . The conversation then becomes "please tell which stream to do Engg in" or "which MBA major" or "is this MBA school good for job placements" etc etc.
Lazy > You have summed it all perfectly. Surgically eyesight can be corrected to 6/6.

Yes I do agree that parents and kids have a poor perception of a carrer in the Forces. Your job as a Forces kid is to open their eyes and fire them up !!

We need Ambassadors like you to motivate smart kids to join US !!
Old 9th January 2012, 20:14   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

My Dad served the Army and UN for 24 years till '76 before opting for voluntary retirement.

He was my inspiration to join the Armed Forces ; and he advised me to go for Engg. in the Navy.

I attended a SSB selection round in B'Lore in '87 , but by then had sported specs with one eye lens at -4.0 dioptres ;so decided to take it easy as I knew I'd be rejected in the medical round.

Went on to become an Engineer from RECT(now NIT Trichy).

Having seen Army life, it'd have been great if I could have joined the Forces( had I not had this eye issue).
Old 9th January 2012, 20:16   #14
Senior - BHPian

But everything has a flip side. Serving the navy for the last 32 years I should point out the negatives (like most cars have some) to get a balanced view. One has to weigh the pros and cons so here goes:
1. Transfers. I have been relatively lucky with 10 shifts of station, most of my colleagues have had many more. Spouses resent this esp if they are the working type. Children resent this especially if and when they get into good schools (read schools in some metros). which leads me to the next point..
2. children education. Most, if not all, peripheral stations have KVs (Kendriya vidyalyas) if your child can adjust to this, good, if not, too bad. Navy folk are relatively comfortable as most of their stations are in big cities. Air Force and Army are more spread out.
3. Housing. In my experience this is the worst part. One has to shift 2-3 times at every station ( say 2.5 shifts x 15 stations = 32 house moves) as one does not get a status house immediately and thus wait. In mumbai depending on your rank this wait could be upto 2 years. Besides quality of accommodation is archaic compared to what is available in the private sector. OTOH cost of accommodation is negligible.

Above points are relevant to officers and thus would be different for persons below officer rank, as the title this thread does not specify joining AF as what.

However, in spite of the above, I have had a fabulous life in the Navy, perhaps having a service background and a wife also from a similar background helped.

OT: I can't answer the question "where are you from?"
goandude is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2012, 20:18   #15
Senior - BHPian

Nandu Sir,

Jai ho!!

Yes, there is a need for such initiative on a larger scale. But not being cynical, unless the civil society respect Faujis, it is difficult to motivate the youngsters to join armed forces. Especially in present circumstances when there are so many opportunities outside armed forces. Yes, you will always have motivated youngsters who want to join. But that is small in number.

I remember my cousin telling a story when he landed in San Francisco airport a year ago . He was waiting for the baggage when he noticed people arround him suddenly clapping and singing american anthem. He turned around to see what it was all about. There were five privates who had returned from Iraq in the same flight and American Citizens were proud of them. Will it ever happen in India? No sir, never.

Life is tough out there in Armed forces and frought with many risks. I am not sure the present generation will be interested in that.

This does not mean that we should not do our bit. We are with you in this initiative.

Last edited by Fauji : 9th January 2012 at 20:19.
Fauji is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks