Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2012, 20:30   #16
BHPian

Re: Joining The Armed Forces

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
Nandu Sir,

Jai ho!!

Yes, there is a need for such initiative on a larger scale. But not being cynical, unless the civil society respect Faujis, it is difficult to motivate the youngsters to join armed forces. Especially in present circumstances when there are so many opportunities outside armed forces. Yes, you will always have motivated youngsters who want to join. But that is small in number.

I remember my cousin telling a story when he landed in San Francisco airport a year ago . He was waiting for the baggage when he noticed people arround him suddenly clapping and singing american anthem. He turned around to see what it was all about. There were five privates who had returned from Iraq in the same flight and American Citizens were proud of them. Will it ever happen in India? No sir, never.

Life is tough out there in Armed forces and frought with many risks. I am not sure the present generation will be interested in that.

This does not mean that we should not do our bit. We are with you in this initiative.
Fauji I take it that you served in the Army. Regarding the American Privates, well when our Army was moving in Trains to the Border during 1965/71 wars, on mst stations people came in hundreds with tiffin carriers and food for our soldiers ! Notably on Punjab and UP !!

Life is tough in the Army for sure so it was for T Bhp members who did drives to Ladakh in their SUV's. And dont forget the kind of adventurous stuff our T BHP members do on 2 and 4 wheels.

Surely we have a target audience here !!!
Old 9th January 2012, 20:39   #17
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanduchitnis View Post
MX 6 just make her aware that there is a rocking carrer option for her in the Armed Forces.
That is for sure. I will make her aware of all the options. And if she does take it up, she might be the first person from my family!
Old 9th January 2012, 20:46   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Fauji I take it that you served in the Army. Regarding the American Privates, well when our Army was moving in Trains to the Border during 1965/71 wars, on mst stations people came in hundreds with tiffin carriers and food for our soldiers ! Notably on Punjab and UP !!

Life is tough in the Army for sure so it was for T Bhp members who did drives to Ladakh in their SUV's. And dont forget the kind of adventurous stuff our T BHP members do on 2 and 4 wheels.

Surely we have a target audience here !!!
Yes, sir. I served in the Army and you are correct about the atttitude of civilians in 65/71 or whenever war break out. What happens after that? There was an article in Outlook a year back - when nation was celebratingtenth anniversery of Kargil - about condition of wounded soldiers in Punjab and Haryana. It does not happen in any other country. Our leaders, society at large has to give the respect that armed forces deserve. Then it becomes easier to motivate.I agree that a career in armed forces today is well paid and well looked after compared what it was earlier. It also provide ample opportunities to learn and prepare for second career once you retire. You are right that we have target audience and who will be interested to know. I can definitely pitch in and provide all help in this.
Old 9th January 2012, 20:56   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
Yes, sir. I served in the Army and prepare for second career once you retire. You are right that we have target audience and w ho will be interested to know. I can definitely pitch in and provide all help in this.

Ok lets build the panel.

1. Commander Nandu Chitnis ex Navy
2. Fauji ex Army.

Over time lets build up on what the Armed Forces has on offer, service wise and answer to specific queries.

Last edited by Samurai : 10th January 2012 at 15:15. Reason: fixed typo Nany -> Navy
Old 9th January 2012, 21:49   #20
Team-BHP Support

Thank you for a lovely thread.

I am very happy in my current carrier but sometimes I do feel sad that I did not even attempt to join....the IPS.

From a family of police officers. My granddad and his brothers and an uncle who retired as an ACP. This is one thing I wish I had attempted.

In fact my Granddad was born in Vellore Prisons . His dad was a doctor there.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2012, 21:51   #21
BHPian

Great Initiative, though my children have quite some time before they can grasp what serving in the AF means.

However, I can confess I missed out being part of the AF. Why? Lack of awareness, not enough material to research etc.
Digressing a bit - Why don't the branches make school visits explaining how it works and different career choices available. Other than NCC which is focussed on parades more often than not, there should be other options available.
Old 9th January 2012, 23:42   #22
BHPian

Nice initiative Sir. I always wanted to join the Army/Navy/Air Force but just missed out because of wrong guidance and lack of information as well as my personal mistakes. I would love to join for something now if its possible at my age i.e 28. I am an Engineer + PGDBM. I just know of the Short Service Commission as of now and would like to explore and find out about other options.
Old 10th January 2012, 08:34   #23
Senior - BHPian

Nandu Sir,

Kudos to you for starting such a fantastic thread.

I always dreamed to be flying high in my younger days and the option I had was to join Air force since my father was in air force for a few year as a radar operator but family compulsions forced him out to the private sector. My mom was strictly against the armed forces for reasons too familiar as mentioned in your starting posts. In my last year of Engg I had applied for Air Force and had travelled to Dehradun for the test. I sailed through to the last round but unfortunately lost the oppurtunity to be a part of the Air force. I do still remember the outdoor test which we had on a cold biting day when I could not even hold on to the rope for the swing test but somehow managed to complete the entire course within stipulated time.
After that it was a complete bye bye to the dreams once I completed the engg as different priorities took prominence.
Old 10th January 2012, 08:51   #24
BHPian

I have always wondered if there are alternative ways to serve in the forces. I know about doctors, but besides that I am sure there may be opportunities for Engineers, IT grads and other professionals.

A lot of people in my friend circle (and myself) would love to offer these kind of services, but clearly there is no roadmap for a career of this sort.
Old 10th January 2012, 09:21   #25
Senior - BHPian

Great initiative Nandu sir.

In my final year in college i was called for the SSB through the UES but then gave it a miss as placement season was on and a IT firm was visiting college in the same time. 2 of my friends went and one guy was not selected in Medical which he then went ahead for surgery and got in throught CDSC.
He had his training in IMA and he is my only batchmate in my department who got through. I always used to crib about the opportunity of never trying for it.
Fast forward 4 years down the line i was in a university in US and taking a 2 day program run by Ex US Marines in the Army camp. It was more of a leadership and team building event. This got me thinking and i was able to Motivate my brother to think of the Army as a career option.

My friend who was in the border helped motivate my brother and then took the help of my relative who put him in touch with a Major from Delhi who trained him over the phone for a couple of days before his SSB.

My brother breezed through the SSB in Bhopal as he is athletic and was the hockey captain in College. The merit list was disappointing but he made through to the Officers Training Academy in Chennai. Currently he is a Gentleman Cadet and is the first person from my family to serve in the Army.

Let me tell all, Its not a easy life in the training. This is the phase where a Boy is made into a Man. It tests you physically and mentally too. I being the elder brother have to answer my Mother on a daily basis. I tell her one thing. Its for a couple of months time and my brother is better off doing something he loves rather than do something he may not be interested in.

He had his first visit home during Xmas and god he has changed. He even shaved daily when on vacation!

I believe the Army should really market them self well. NCC should be more prevalent in schools too.

All For One and One for All.
JaiHind
maddy42 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th January 2012, 09:22   #26
BHPian

Indian Armed Forces rocks and all that is ok. But what is being said here is from an Officer's point of view. Talking about the Indian Army, What about the lives of NCOs and Other Ranks? Majority of them don't get to live with their families 365 days of the year. Majority of them don't get to eat food cooked by their mothers or wives. They have to retire in their 30s and look for civilian jobs because the pension is not enough inspite of the pay commission etc. As a YO (young officer), life is rather cool but it changes soon enough when you have to become a forced bachelor. The forces guys here would understand what I mean.
BBR_SHR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2012, 09:34   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Ok lets build the panel.

1. Commander Nandu Chitnis ex Nany
2. Fauji ex Army.

Over time lets build up on what the Armed Forces has on offer, service wise and answer to specific queries.
Lovely thread out here sire!

Even if there aren't any queries coming up, I would suggest you give details about what are the different roles and responsibilities in the army/navy/airforce.

I come from a typical middle class southern family where the most common profession is life-long service in different manufacturing/service industries; the only deterrents being the occasional doctor(s). Just a few months back I got to meet an army Colonel, who had been married to my cousin sister, but relatively unknown in the family.

We had several long discussions on the army life, mostly he would explain on what he does (he heads a battalion training unit if I remember correctly), while I would keep questioning - I was surprised to know about his role and a lot more about the army.

Actually what I couldn't ask him, and what probably most parents might question is what happens to the life of the soldier who gets injured (with a life-long injury) while serving the nation - does it still seem all great to him?

Apologies if this sounds blunt, but I frequently visit the temples at Khadki, Pune which are located right opposite the wards for disabled soldiers - and I do not see a lot of happy faces. One key factor most young guys (& their parents) take in while deciding their career is the risk factor of the armed forces. Would love to know from you sir, what are the percentages?

And yes, (after meeting my relative) if given a choice to wind the clock back, I would have definitely wanted to join the armed forces for sure.
ninjatalli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2012, 11:33   #28
Senior - BHPian

What a lovely thread, nanduchitnis! Thank you for your initiative. And boy do I get the goosebumps whenever all these thoughts about Armed Forces come into my mind. Let me pen down and take out a few things out of my heart here.

My background - an average middle class Jat from Haryana, Age 24, hardcore NCC cadet since 10th standard, I hold Alpha grade 'C' certificate which I earned in 3rd year of my graduation in 2006.

My relations with Armed Forces - My uncle (paternal side) is a retired Army personnel, another (maternal side) is serving as a Brigadier. Five of my college friends are serving in Army, two are Lt., two are Captain and one of them is at Major rank. One of my ex-girlfriends is married to an IAF pilot now! (I secretly envy the lucky guy)

So, why am I not one of you?

Sighhh! Hard to write and sum it up. To start with, my family never approved this career for me being the only son! I faced the SSB secretly in 2007, and failed. My parents aren't even aware of it as of today. This was the time when I had to make a crucial decision of my life and since I had a scholarship cheque of $75,000 from Canadian Faderal Govt. for my further studies, I chose to go for higher studies there. One thing for sure, this itch of Armed Forces was never amiss in me at any point of time. But at the end of the day, its just that I am not one of you.

My Present - I knew I wasn't born to live in the West. Went there, enjoyed as much as I could. Thanks to the nature of my work, be it Canada, America, Maxico, the UK, Germany or Norway, I enjoyed every single bit! Butttt, the things were never the way I liked them.

So, I got back to India in April 2011 after completion of my Masters, got a lucretive job in a MNC, a job which covers *most* of my interests in life; agriculture, adventure, research and travelling.

I am speechless right now as I am writing this, I won't lie. Had I cleared the SSB during my attempt, I would have surely joined the Indian Army. And you are right sir, money isn't everything in life; yet it is so very important. Bitter but truth. So many times in my life, I have been made realized this, again and again. Armed Forces are not about money, they indeed are a WAY OF LIFE.

Let me sum it up this way.

Only a few lucky souls get into this way of life. For those who are like me, sometimes life isn't fair. Here is what I have learnt, keep pushing and never ever give up to get what do I want from it. By hook or by crook, I want enjoyment out of each moment of my life, I am enjoying the challenges and I want to continue to enjoy.

Those young guns out there curiously reading; mark my words, apart from armed forces, there is no other career that makes you feel larger than life, naturally. Others just have to push, period.
Ace F355 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th January 2012, 11:34   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Lovely thread out here sire!

Even if there aren't any queries coming up, I would suggest you give details about what are the different roles and responsibilities in the army/navy/airforce.

Actually what I couldn't ask him, and what probably most parents might question is what happens to the life of the soldier who gets injured (with a life-long injury) while serving the nation - does it still seem all great to him?

Apologies if this sounds blunt, but I frequently visit the temples at Khadki, Pune which are located right opposite the wards for disabled soldiers - and I do not see a lot of happy faces. One key factor most young guys (& their parents) take in while deciding their career is the risk factor of the armed forces. Would love to know from you sir, what are the percentages?
At the outset may I request retired Officers to answer specific queries raised on this thread. There are too many posts here for me to answer all of them.

@ Ninja:

1. I can advice regarding a career in the Indian Navy.The details are available on the Indian Navy web site indiannavy.nic.in.

This is a very detailed web site for parents and their kids looking to becoming aware of what the Indian Navy has to offer, various branches, training pattern, including pay and allownaces.

2. Regarding disability. God forbid if an Officer or Jawan does suffer injuries, we have the best Medical Facilities available in the World for surgery and rehabilitation. I myself have a steel rod on my left arm fractured during training and fixed at MH Kirkee after 3 surgeries.

In case of paraplegics, the Govt gives 100 % disablitity pension which is quite substantial.

Disability/Death rates in the AF is generally very low compared to the National average. Much lower than the Civilian side. Just see the the figures of casualties due to road accident in Indian cities and highways !! Just dont think about these negatives when joining any profession.

Look Team BHP members take enormous risks when off roading, biking, jeeping, rallying, driving to Leh-Ladakh etc , much more than IAF fighter pilots! Why? Man they got the stuff called the spirit of Adventure in their blood ! Many Members have a thing called ATTITUDE in them! This is why I started this thread. Because the Armed Forces can do that and much more for their kids and much more safely, given the rigirous training and safety norms built in schedule.

2 years ago swine flu was a rage in Pune. An IT friend of mine was admitted in a Hospital, put on a ventilator and recovered after 14 days. Bill of the hospital was Rs 9/- lakhs of which he was reimbursed just Rs 4 lakhs by his company despite being a mid level SW Engg!

Around the same time an Army friend of mine was also in a Military Hosp in Pune being treated for swine flu and recovered. Cost? Rs 0.00 !!

3. This place in Khadki is called Queen Mary's Technical Institute for rehabilitaing parapegics. Been there since First World War. They have hundreds of success stories. Do visit QMTI and speak to the Managers of the Institute. One of my close friend from the IAF has been wheel chair bound and very successful in Civvie Street thanks to QMTI.

Rgds

Last edited by nanduchitnis : 10th January 2012 at 11:40.
nanduchitnis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2012, 11:43   #30
Team-BHP Support

Very interesting thread!
Having members of family in Air Force, Navy and the Army, I can safely say that in case of Navy its the easiest, as posting is mostly in big cities.
Army men have it the worst. Many spend lots of postings in areas where its difficult for family stay,
After all Army is needed on the northern borders, and they are quite inhospitable places from a weather and life perspective.

My cousin got married a few years back. Till date she has spend 2 years away from her husband(non family station), 1 year in a medium sized city 1 year in a safe remote location, and currently in an insurgent prone remote location.

That said, risk factor in the Navy is lower than Army. Correct me if I am wrong!

Last edited by tsk1979 : 10th January 2012 at 11:47.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks