Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2012, 18:03   #166
BHPian

Re: Joining The Armed Forces

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel385 View Post
Good going SJD. The forces are meant for people who do not give up, and seeing your determination to finally become a part of the forces, I can say that you probably do belong to this group. So all the best to you and hope to see you in Uniform in the days ahead!

SJD, there are a large number of travelogues in this forum which are a vast store of knowledge in all aspects of travelling. Many members have left invaluable advice on the routes that you will be undertaking and all you need to do is crawl through their experiences. Hoping to see your travelogue soon!!
neel, thanks a lot for the kind words of encouragement; they indeed mean a lot for a guy like me .

And regarding the travelogues in the forum, as I am in the research stage of the trip, I am going through each one of them with a fine toothpick and have gained a mighty lot of handy information in the last couple of days. And yeah, I will be most eager to publish my travelogue if I can undertake the trips successfully for people like you and Commander here, who had been implementel in encouraging me to do the same. Can I ask for your valuable advice on the bike which I had choosen for the trip - Impulse; what are your thoughts on it in respect to the Ladakh trip ??
Old 1st April 2012, 18:23   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanduchitnis View Post
SJD:

1. I have biked to Ladakh with my wife when I was 56 yrs old and she was 51. The travel story is here on TEAM BHP.

2. Your father means well for you.

3. My Course Mate was a Para Commando who shifted to the JAG branch midway through his career and retired at the top of the Branch. He had a rewarding career in the JAG branch.

You have expressed yourself so very well here that for a moment I had a lump in my throat.

Thanks for the sentiments expressed !

!! Way To Go !!
Commander, I am just over the moon after finding out that you liked my write-up; it is indeed you who should be thanked as your post originally encouraged me to express my story. And now, I know what sort of power you possess which was effective in motivating 14 people in joining the forces.

Indeed, it is quite an achievement to ride to Ladakh at the 'tender' age of 56 with your wife; at the moment I am going through your travelogue and am finding it interesting, heart-touching & motivating.

Good to know about your course mate who joined JAG and was rewarded handsomely; if anything, I would greatly like to converse with him.

And lastly, please don't thank me; give me the chance to thank you. Please keep up your sincere effort at motivating youngsters; looking forward to read more of you in the forum !!
Old 12th October 2013, 15:01   #168
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
A significant number of Team BHP members belong to the Armed Forces or may have retired.

Let's set the ball rolling.
Fantastic initiative Chitnis sir.
More than the life style, it is the job security and job satisfaction which I found lucrative to join the forces.
To top it all, the security of family within the defence environment is an unmatched assurance that the kith and kin will be safe and sound when you leave them back on deployments and the like.

As I have seen people sharing experiences here, I would like to share a unique experience. That too from our neighbours- Pakistan.

An Indian Naval ship was deployed with a Pakistan Naval Ship for the survey of Sir Creek, the disputed creek along the western border of the nation.
The survey deployment was a huge success and was a great stepping stone towards the confidence building measures of both the nations.
Later, the Indian Naval Ship entered one of the nearby harbours in Pakistan.

Once out at sea and on long deployments, home made food is something which everyone craves for.
The first morning at harbour, the Officer of the Day got a unique request.
The Pakistanis have requested permission to gift us something on goodwill.
With due consent and deliberations from higher ups, the request was allowed. Within minutes, comes in containers which are nicely covered and packed.
The ship's staff opened it up.

Nicely packed and presented were containers full of hot, soft Aloo Parathas with pickle and Curd!!!
For the whole ship's compliment.

The staff onboard the Indian Ship was spellbound to say the least.
Such a gesture from our not so friendly brothers across the border was not the least expected and needless to say, they had won our hearts hands down!
Sailing away from home on long deployments, these small things brings in happiness which cannot be equated to words.
And if I had to pen it down here for others to read, you can imagine how much a lasting impression this had cast on us.
Old 19th December 2013, 15:09   #169
Senior - BHPian

Good news from my side!

After 2 unsuccessful attempts of convincing my employer's HR to sign the consent form for Territorial Army application form, I managed to do so this time. YEY!!!

Will be sending out my application form for TA to join as an officer.

Those who might be interested in TA, might wanna go through the web links below:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Territorial_Army_(India)
http://www.indianarmy.gov.in/Site/Fo...l/tUG2REH9iw==

A rather excellent blog by an existing 'Terrier' with even more details:

http://territorials.blogspot.in/2011...y-officer.html

Last date of submission of application forms: 31st Dec 2013.

Written Exam will be on: 9th Feb 2013.

Selected few will be receiving call latters for SSB procedure (to be done along with regular army aspirants) around the month of June.
Old 19th December 2013, 18:11   #170
BHPian

I've read through the pages and I commend Capt Chitnis for this noble endeavour. There have been a few notes of dissent but that must not divert us from the intention of the OP which is to provide relevant information for aspirants to make an informed decision about joining the Forces.

The advertisements of the respective Services' personnel directorates are too stereotyped and they do not answer the many questions that cross the mind while mulling on this most important career decision. Therefore, with the permission of the OP, I propose that the Panel, and other members of the Armed Forces, chip in with their contributions on what a prospective candidate for the Armed Forces should expect at each step of his career.

The first step in this regard could be the kind of life expected in training academies. We can proceed further subject to clearance from Capt Chitnis.
Old 19th December 2013, 19:06   #171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post
Such a gesture from our not so friendly brothers across the border was not the least expected and needless to say, they had won our hearts hands down!
Wars, battles and continued hostility are results of only a few ambitious folks, not the general population.
Old 20th December 2013, 13:59   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rookieraj View Post
The first step in this regard could be the kind of life expected in training academies. We can proceed further subject to clearance from Capt Chitnis.
I don't know if that would be the right starting point. The reason being that life is tough. Specially if you are from a purely civil background. The sudden denial of things that we take for granted in the outside world, such as speaking your mind, doing what you feel is right, things that you would be doing naturally outside are suddenly at a premium. Till the time that one is clear as to why the sacrifice is required, the transition is likely to be an unhappy one.
Old 20th December 2013, 14:47   #173
Senior - BHPian

Great Initiative Chief!!

My younger brother is proud to be a passout from IMA, Dehradun.

Still remember the passing out parade.

What an atmosphere, what a sight to behold.

Over the time, he is now serving proudly for the country and securing the borders. Currently holding the rank of a Major.

We as a family are extremely proud of his feat, and the way he has handled a near fatal infiltrator combat, come out bravely even after his entire intestines were out, 279 stitches later, 8 months on the bed, hours and hours of physio and above all- a dignity unscratched and a will power to live, survive and tower above all physical challenges!!

Hats off to the Indian Army spirit and what it instills in your blood, in your confidence and in your personality!!!

Last edited by GTO : 22nd January 2014 at 11:14. Reason: As requested
Old 20th December 2013, 16:10   #174
BHPian

Searched the territorial army website. Theres no mention of last date of submission in the notification (or did I miss it) . Also the written exam is to held on 9th Feb. Is it held at imp cities all across India or only at the centres where the form is to be sent (Pune in my case).
Old 20th December 2013, 16:46   #175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
Hats off to the Indian Army spirit and what it instils in your blood, in your confidence and in your personality!!!
to your brother and Indian Army, arnabchak. I was talking to my friend the other day who is also a major in 15 Rajput, and he was telling me that no matter how much training they do, it doesn't hold a candle to the real situation. When enemy's bullets fly by close, then only the seriousness of the matter is comprehended. Kudos to your bro and his marshal spirit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by inder View Post
Searched the territorial army website. Theres no mention of last date of submission in the notification (or did I miss it) . Also the written exam is to held on 9th Feb. Is it held at imp cities all across India or only at the centres where the form is to be sent (Pune in my case).
Hi Inder

Notifications come out in newspapers as well as on Indian Army website. Here is the current notification page.

http://www.indianarmy.gov.in/writere...Advt111113.pdf

Written exam will be at the center where your form is being processed. All the information about this particular advert is given on the link above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
@Ace

Very truly expressed.

The saying " More you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war" couldn't have been more profound.

BTW, where is your friend posted?
True arnabchak. Jackie's famous dialogue from movie Border. This friend of mine is currently based in Meerut, UP.

Last edited by Ace F355 : 20th December 2013 at 17:00.
Old 20th December 2013, 16:50   #176
Senior - BHPian

@Ace

Very truly expressed.

The saying " More you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war" couldn't have been more profound.

BTW, where is your friend posted?
Old 20th December 2013, 17:49   #177
BHPian

Never expected this thread to be here, but really thankful to you all for starting this and for all the valuable inputs. I'm currently 22 years of age, in my final year BBA. Once I complete, I'm planning to try for Indian Army Officer level, via CDS Examination. I'm pretty much aware of the physical standards and examination procedure, its all over the Internet. But what I would really like is, a few tips and helpful guidance from our ex-service T-Bhpians, and I thank you all for the opportunity created through this thread. You can say the inspiration started from my aunt's father-in-law, who was an Air Commodore AVSM in the IAF, received a medal from the then President(I think) V.V.Giri. He passed away before I was old enough to speak with him regarding this. But I'm sure this would be the best place to start.
Old 24th December 2013, 18:55   #178
Senior - BHPian

A great video that needs to be shared on this thread. The whole series is bloody good and inspiring.

Last edited by Ace F355 : 24th December 2013 at 19:01.
Old 1st January 2014, 15:10   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post
A great video that needs to be shared on this thread. The whole series is bloody good and inspiring.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=bnhI845dL0I
Thanks for sharing. Enjoyed every moment watching this one.
Old 1st January 2014, 15:20   #180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for sharing. Enjoyed every moment watching this one.
This is 1st video of the series, Nandu sir. There are 10 episodes of the same, all are available on YouTube. This NetGeo series touches many parts of Indian Army; the IMA, infantry, Artillery, parachute regiment, air warriors etc. to give a demo of life there. Do have a look at those as well.

Most Viewed