Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2014, 12:07   #181
BHPian

Re: Joining The Armed Forces

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post
This is 1st video of the series, Nandu sir. There are 10 episodes of the same, all are available on YouTube. This NetGeo series touches many parts of Indian Army; the IMA, infantry, Artillery, parachute regiment, air warriors etc. to give a demo of life there. Do have a look at those as well.
Thank you Ace. And seriously respects to you for joining the Territorial Army...

At age 63, I did Ladakh on 2 wheels again with my wife Medini on a Motorcycle. Thereafter we did Raan of Kutch

On return we met with a very serious accident. My Honda City is a wreck.

Next day, I rode with Medini, throttle full open, on my mo bike, the Duke 200.

I learned this from Air Force. When a plane crashes and a Pilot dies,the entire Squadron takes off early dawn.

I am now seriously into GoPro vids. You can see them on vimeo, just search Nandu Chitnis.

Where do I get the inspiration to do what I do ? My Gen X x 2 Background in the Army /NDA/Navy.

I did not know this was a 5 star thread.

Thank you for making this a 5 star thread.

Amen
Old 20th January 2014, 10:13   #182
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanduchitnis View Post
On return we met with a very serious accident. My Honda City is a wreck.

Next day, I rode with Medini, throttle full open, on my mo bike, the Duke 200.
Kudos to your spirit sir. Would you like to share how it happened? Saw the brief clip on vimeo, did someone sideswipe you?
Old 20th January 2014, 18:54   #183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Kudos to your spirit sir. Would you like to share how it happened? Saw the brief clip on vimeo, did someone sideswipe you?
I have given the details of the accident with a sketch.

I truck from behind me nicked my right rear causing my car (Honda City) to spin 90 deg to the right.

The truck started to break but could not halt, then hit me on the right door forward. The Honda City impact bar is strong also the construction of the door helps to absorb such impact.

The car was dragged forward as it was now broadsided some 10 feet. Since Honda City is a very low car it dragged some 15 feet without toppling over.

Not a scratch to me. No injuries. Surprisingly the engine kept running.

I was able to back up the car and safely park off the high way.

Accident happened at Vapi (Gujrat).

Will take a few weeks to fix by a Honda Service Center there.

I have zero depreciation insurance.

Honda Assure has cleared all ..I pay nothing.

This is Accident # 3 for my Honda City albiet all 3 not my fault.
Attached Thumbnails
Joining The Armed Forces-accident.jpg  

Old 20th January 2014, 19:48   #184
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanduchitnis View Post
I have given the details of the accident with a sketch.
This is Accident # 3 for my Honda City albiet all 3 not my fault.
Glad you came out safe from this one. Looks pretty bad on paper - right out of a Hollywood action sequence! Good to know about the insurance taking care of everything.
Old 20th January 2014, 19:57   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Glad you came out safe from this one. Looks pretty bad on paper - right out of a Hollywood action sequence! Good to know about the insurance taking care of everything.
This is OT but For Your Information and others:

a) From personal experience there are 2 cars which are solidly built, Honda City and Fiat.

b) The low ground clearance of the Honda City helped in NOT toppling the car.

c) At the Honda City Service Center my major questions to the Service Manager was this: "Tell me why I have no injuries."

d) He took me to the Accident dept where he had wrecked samples...impact bars, door construction of Honda City.

I was impressed.

If I was in my Wagon R, my right side would have crushed and car toppled over.

Rgds
Old 21st January 2014, 15:51   #186
BHPian

Nice to catch this thread.
One of the relatives is in Air-force and ever since I talked to him about his defense experiences, I always felt I missed this sector altogether.
I was looking at TA advt for past two years but because of lack of information I couldn't more forward.
Probably this thread would help me as well as other aspirants.

From this thread, I come to know we need to get approval from (pvt) employer as well before we could apply. Like this I have other queries.

1. I'm in private sector. Though AceF355 got the required approval from his employer, not all will be willing to provide one. For ACE's employer to provide one is rarest of rare case. In this situation, is it really mandatory to provide approval? Is there a way to join TA without this step?
I think this is the major deterrent for one to enter TA.

2. Next query is extension of first. If I could join TA without employer approval, my next query would be obviously about mandatory days to be spent in TA duties. The website does not provide clear information on this.
Whether I need to spend only weekends? I understand some ~30 days to be spent in TA duties. Whether all these days are weekends? or weekdays as well?

3. In case of weekdays too, what if the individual does not get leave sanctioned by employer?

4. The days are fixed by army? Can the individuals decide which days they are available for TA duties?

5. How long can one remain in TA? Till what age?
Old 27th June 2014, 12:27   #187
Senior - BHPian

IAF is going to release their own video game; with an idea to motivate the tender guns of the country to join Air Force.

Demo version will be released on July 3rd and full version IAF day on 8th Oct. Hope the idea be fruitful in attracting people into armed forces.
Old 27th June 2014, 15:41   #188
BHPian

Nice thread, but I feel very little is done in order to create awareness on the possibilities and very importantly the application process itself.

To the benefit of the majority here, we who did not have an army background and hence the lack of understanding of the way of life etc.
By the time the individual realises his/her dream which may be to join the armed forces.

By then its already too late.

It happened with me and I do know people who have gone through the same.

I was training to be a Pilot (commercial), I did not have any idea about NDA nor was I told/informed about it, not just at home but none of my friends even knew about it. (this was the pre internet period) Maybe it was our ignorance, but hey we were school kids remember.

Or lets just play safe by blaming the parents

Now, for financial reasons I could not complete my pilots course but by then I already had my flying license, radio telephony licenses, had cleared 4 out of 6 of the papers as well along with having a Class 1 medical clearance.
All I needed was to complete my flying.

I have spent hours gazing into the sky watching Sukhois and MiGs fly by, and always dreamt of flying one of being a Pilot in the IAF, that was a matter of pride and living my dream at the same time.

I visited numerous IAF counters which get established at Job Fairs, to see how I could gain an entry into IAF - considering that I already had studied 50% (if not more) and was medically fit.

Willing to join, willing to give entrance exams or whatever else is required...but.. there is no scope for such willingness, you are shown the rules

1. You are overage
2. If you are overage then you need to be a graduate or more specific an engineering graduate (to aid age relaxation)
3. You did not pass out from NDA
4. Net net there is no way you can join the IAF now, no you cannot even join the NDA, you are way beyond your age.

Do You Hav It In You?
A very famous AD - well sir, I had it in me and still do - and then?

How is this going to help, I am sure there are many many such people out there who are willing to join the NDA or whatever institute all over again, maybe they are overage (20yrs - or whatever) but is that really the point?
What is overlooked is the sheer enthusiasm and commitment to join the armed forces.
What is looked at is pure bookish and illogical.
Of course you need to evaluate the individuals, but at least give them a chance.

What I was advised was to look at enrolling into the Territorial Army - but hey I want to be a part of the IAF not the Territorial Army, what should I do?

Sorry dude, you can't do nothing, just sit back and watch all the advertisements that we give out asking people to join us, asking boys/girls 90% of those who haven't even taken this decision on their own.
Its good to tap young talent, but at the same time, you should have some scope of letting in people who are talented and are willing to fight for the country as a matter of pride, honour and sheer commitment.

This is missing, if there are some more avenues created for aspirants, this will change.

Since, the topic is on the Armed forces, I have penned my thoughts on the same, but reality is that this is by far in every sector of the government be it IAS, IPS, IRS, IFS etc etc.

Officers should visit schools, colleges so that children get to see and hear.

Parents should also be invited for the same, these are proactive steps, I am not sure if its already started, at least I have not heard about anything on this.

Please do not treat this as a rant, its a mix of personal experience and overall process which is a big deterrent.

Cheers!
Old 28th May 2015, 10:48   #189
Team-BHP Support

My niece is in Class 9. She wishes to join NDA (National Defense Academy) in Navy.

What does she need to do/know now? She is based @ Calcutta. She is wearing spectacles else she would have been interested in air-force.
Old 28th May 2015, 10:58   #190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
My niece is in Class 9. She wishes to join NDA (National Defense Academy) in Navy.

What does she need to do/know now? She is based @ Calcutta. She is wearing spectacles else she would have been interested in air-force.
NDA/Naval Academy entry after +2 is only for males. Females can join the forces only after graduation.

If she is interested in Navy, she should opt for science after 10th. I think IN has stopped recruiting officers from arts and commerce background.

EDIT: Check the Women Entry section on this page: http://nausena-bharti.nic.in/offinfo.php

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 28th May 2015 at 11:03.
Old 7th June 2015, 11:22   #191
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
NDA/Naval Academy entry after +2 is only for males. Females can join the forces only after graduation.

If she is interested in Navy, she should opt for science after 10th. I think IN has stopped recruiting officers from arts and commerce background.

EDIT: Check the Women Entry section on this page: http://nausena-bharti.nic.in/offinfo.php

Cheers,
Vikram
From whatever information has been gathered, females are not allowed in ships. She wishes to join the army and serve the country in any which way, be as a doctor, cook, just anything.
Old 7th June 2015, 12:00   #192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post

Spectacles would be a problem even for the Navy, if she wants to be a navigating officer. For the deck dept., even in the merchant navy, aid to vision is not allowed during selection and training time. Accepted at a later stage to a certain limit though.
Old 6th July 2016, 22:51   #193
BHPian

This video covers opportunities in the armed forces...

Old 23rd June 2018, 17:11   #194
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Career Advice Thread

I would like to get an overview of how to get into the Indian Air Force after an engineering degree; as a pilot or an officer.
Old 23rd June 2018, 18:30   #195
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Career Advice Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
I would like to get an overview of how to get into the Indian Air Force after an engineering degree; as a pilot or an officer.
As an officer (technical/non-technical):
https://afcat.cdac.in/AFCAT/

As an airman:
https://airmenselection.cdac.in/CASB/

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks