Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2017, 17:53   #76
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyascashyap View Post
Reviving an old thread -
Where in bangalore can I get either of these 2 dresses stitched in under 3 days? Looking forward to help!
I got a really well stitched suite from a shop selling Reid&Taylor suitings within twenty four hours. The shop is located just outside the commercial street and the signal of Dickenson road.
Old 12th November 2017, 17:53   #77
Zed
BHPian

Re: Formal dressing and tailoring for all occassions (EDIT: Put all your queries here)

First up, Congrats! If you decide in favor of a formal tailored western suit, try Raymonds - there are posts on this tread indicating outlets in Bangalore with good tailors. I continue to remain a loyal customer primarily due to their excellent and consistent store service, quality of fabric/fit and the relative cost compared to global labels. A Raymonds outlet in Chennai organized a tailored suit for a colleague in 48 hours. That was more likely an exception than the rule but at least you know its possible to get a high quality tailored two piece Suit in three days.
Avoid entry level fabrics. Their mid-range collection has great options and you should get a wedding worthy suit for around Rs 20-25k or thereabouts, tailoring included. If you stay conservative with your choice of color and fabric - as all gentlemen ought to for their wedding - you could end up with a suit that can serve your wardrobe for a long, long time. A good wedding suit needs the right pair of shoes, socks, shirt, tie & belt to really work. Not to mention a well groomed groom. If you are looking for flamboyance, your tie is your ally! Happy shopping and my best wishes in advance for the big day
Old 13th November 2017, 11:47   #78
BHPian

Re: Formal dressing and tailoring for all occassions (EDIT: Put all your queries here)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiXTriX2004 View Post
I have been recommended by a few people to go talk to S.A Vittal Rao and Sons. They are located in Ashokpuram. Behind Garuda Central mall and next to Football stadium.
Thanks for the tip. Will check them out. But will they deliver within 2-3 days though? That's the most important clause here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_gt View Post
I got a really well stitched suite from a shop selling Reid&Taylor suitings within twenty four hours. The shop is located just outside the commercial street and the signal of Dickenson road.
Thanks! That is a relief. Will definitely check them out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
First up, Congrats! Happy shopping and my best wishes in advance for the big day
Thanks! I will surely keep your advice in mind.
Old 31st July 2018, 07:18   #79
BHPian

Anyone here having experience with PN Rao Suits? I visited their showroom last week here in Chennai and placed an order for a 2pc Suit. Tomorrow will be the trial day to see the fit.

I would need some formal business trousers. Any clue on where I could find good ones? I'm looking for ones with good quality. I remember purchasing couple of business trousers some time around 2014 from Wills ITC Lifestyle and till date they have held up very well. So any comparable options? Please suggest?
Old 31st July 2018, 11:12   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
Anyone here having experience with PN Rao Suits? I visited their showroom last week here in Chennai and placed an order for a 2pc Suit. Tomorrow will be the trial day to see the fit.

I would need some formal business trousers. Any clue on where I could find good ones? I'm looking for ones with good quality. I remember purchasing couple of business trousers some time around 2014 from Wills ITC Lifestyle and till date they have held up very well. So any comparable options? Please suggest?
PN.Rao is a great option for wedding suits and high range formal suits. They are very professional. I had my two piece wedding suit stitched from there and they did a great job. I am a stickler for natural fabric and PN.Rao have a good collection of wool based material for suits apart from polyester. Do check out Raymonds stores as well since they have a good formal collection as well both in readymade (Parx) and to be stitched. If you are interested in linen do check out the Aditya Birla's Linen Store. For Chennai climate, the apt fabric is linen. Wills Lifestyle is great as well both for formals and business casuals.
Old 31st July 2018, 11:58   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Didn't realize there was a thread for this here!

I have a question, if you don't like ties (and I hate wearing a tie), what options do you have for Indian male formal wear? No offense meant to anyone, but I think a sherwani is just a salwar for men, the bandhgala looks incomplete, and the 'safari suit' is just too 70s. A cravat instead of a tie looks silly on anyone not in a military uniform! (again, just an opinion)

A well cut jacket with a crisp open shirt without a tie certainly looks great, if one has the broad shoulders and narrow waist to pull it off, but most often someone trying that look ends up looking nothing like James Bond, but more like a lawyer (obviously no offense meant to lawyers either). I guess it's all in the cut of the jacket.

So any suggestions? Or have I precluded everything with my own hang-ups?

I think a waistcoat and pocket square go a long way to completing and 'tightening' the jacket-without-tie look. And that's another question, how come it's easy to get off-the-shelf jackets, but not waistcoats?
Old 31st July 2018, 18:31   #82
Senior - BHPian

Amazing. I didn't know about this thread either.
For folks in Delhi, give Men Will Be Men in Ashok Vihar a try Its owner knows his stuff really well. I got a few kurtas and a sherwani stitched from him. Excellent workmanship and customer service.
Old 31st July 2018, 19:56   #83
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
I think a waistcoat and pocket square go a long way to completing and 'tightening' the jacket-without-tie look. And that's another question, how come it's easy to get off-the-shelf jackets, but not waistcoats?
No suits or ties you say?

Nehru jackets all the way! Lends a formal touch to just about anything, if done right.

Western formals: crisp cotton/linen shirt (button-down or Chinese collar, your choice), tailored trousers, pocket square and formal shoes.
Indian formals: swap the shirt and trousers for a cotton/linen kurta/pajama/fitted choodidar combo and wear closed sandals or pumps for the full neta look.

Don't want to appear all strung up? Leave the top button (or two) open on the jacket.

Source: Personal preference

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 31st July 2018 at 20:07.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2018, 20:51   #84
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Amazing. I didn't know about this thread either.
It's been years since you posted on this thread, so you may have forgotten...see quoted post below

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Forget ready made suits, i cant even find formal shirts also that fit my size in Bangalore.
Surprisingly, some from Chandigarh gifted me a formal shirt of my size (44) and its sleeves fit me perfectly!
Was it really difficult to find size 44 shirts in Bangalore back then ? At least now it's not, in fact most brands and apparel outlets have enough of choices in size 40, 42, 44. However, finding half sleeved semi/formal shirts can be a challenge sometimes.

Last edited by NPV : 31st July 2018 at 20:53.
Old 31st July 2018, 22:39   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
It's been years since you posted on this thread, so you may have forgotten...see quoted post below

Was it really difficult to find size 44 shirts in Bangalore back then ? At least now it's not, in fact most brands and apparel outlets have enough of choices in size 40, 42, 44. However, finding half sleeved semi/formal shirts can be a challenge sometimes.
LOL. It's a sign that I am getting old

But I do remember now. Size 44 was never an issue. It was the arm length that came with 44 that was the issue for me. They would always end a few inches above my wrists. As a result, even in formal settings, I used to roll up my sleeves.
Old 1st August 2018, 11:18   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Nehru jackets all the way! Lends a formal touch to just about anything, if done right.
Ahh, I'd forgotten about these! You're correct, the right one can really look classy. Thanks for reminding me about these.
Old 2nd December 2018, 08:53   #87

Guys, glad to find this thread here.

What'd would you suggest for a good business casual attire to wear at work? I hate wearing suits, going full formal. I am thinking of putting on black khaki trousers / solid dark color denims (black, gray, blues), slim fit shirt, black/brown shoes, & a navy blue / gray blazer. Does this sound about right? Any ideas & suggestions are welcome!

Also, please can someone please recommend a good tailor near Electronic City / HSR? A lot of shops & their masterjis', that I checked, were too arrogant, and just wanted to sell the most expensive cloth with absurd charges.
Old 2nd December 2018, 11:04   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iVictor View Post
What'd would you suggest for a good business casual attire to wear at work? I hate wearing suits, going full formal. I am thinking of putting on black khaki trousers / solid dark color denims (black, gray, blues), slim fit shirt, black/brown shoes, & a navy blue / gray blazer. Does this sound about right? Any ideas & suggestions are welcome!
If you wish to be business casual in your attire then start with the jacket - navy blue jacket and open shirt [ie without a tie] goes with either khaki coloured pants or light grey or medium grey pants. The aim is to have a dark jacket with a light pant or a dark pant with a light coloured jacket. If your jacket is medium grey then black pants or dark blue pants. If you choose to wear denims [I personally don't favour it for business wear but that's just me] then the same guiding rule applies dark on light or light on dark. Hope this helps.
V.Narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2022, 15:30   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Bumping and old thread here, but I'm wondering if I'll get to wear a suit ever again!

Forget suits, haven't even used my collared full-sleeved shirts or formal shoes for the past 2 years! With continued remote work for my role and all my friends and cousins already married (and a good 15-20 years before any of their kids will probably start having weddings), like an ICE car, I'm wondering if I'll ever need to buy another suit again.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks