Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2012, 22:40   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mumbai Fixed Rate Cabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
For those who know Mumbai suburbs, we paid 750Rs for drop-off at Powai (A/C cab). Prior to this, I have always taken autos at the airport who charge by the meter and always there has been the cop noting the destination details and probably to ensure the people don't get ripped off. Not sure if the autos too were ripping off people that day.

Was this an one-off incident? Or has it become a daily affair?
750 is certainly high considering that you may not pay more than 75-100 bucks from Domestic terminal to Powai!

I am pretty sure that it is now a daily affair.
Old 28th January 2012, 22:51   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: Stupidity in the name of prepaid auto

We should demand the auto guy to use the meter and get rid of practice to go with fare he asks. I agree there are almost majority of auto meters are tampered, so I tackle them by calculating KMS distance x Rs. 9/- roughly. Else, i tell them there are a lakh autos in Bangalore so no need for traveling with fixed rate he asks.

But it doesn't works always when you don't know the route. Google maps can be helpful sometimes.

I remember, when the minimum fare was Rs. 7/- almost 8 or 9 years ago, there were so nice auto guys who promptly returned balance Rs. 3/-, if I pay Rs. 10/-
Even now there are few very good auto wallahs with genuine meter, but it is very very difficult to find them. If i notice them, I make sure I appreciate them give them extra Rs. 5 or 10 stating the reason that they are honest and ask them to continue the same. A small token of appreciation to them.

-Ravi
Old 29th January 2012, 18:51   #18
BHPian

Re: Stupidity in the name of prepaid auto

What I do is check the distance to the destination through google maps before searching for an auto.

Before getting into the auto I ask him how much it costs to get to my destination. He will say an exorbitant amount and i say "arae, it's only xx kms". Then he will give me a slightly smaller amount. I smile/laugh and say bye bye.
Next instant he will give me a more sane amount.

Works most of the time, except in very busy areas where they can easily find a better bait.

Most Viewed