Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2012, 11:32   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fireman helps aircraft land in the absence of ATC !!

Flying a plane does not require the pilot to be a rocket scientist. As long as the weather conditions allow VFR, it is generally safe to land as long as 2 flights are not vying for the same piece of tarmac. The government should employ more people. You cannot expect ATC personnel to be available 24x7 when there's only 2 of them to share the duties.
Old 7th February 2012, 21:07   #17
Senior - BHPian

Its not the question of who is at fault, rather, airline/flying industry is run by "standard operating procedures" for both pilots and the controllers! and no body else is authorized to enter the ATC without proper authorization. When you have no controllers at the desk, then the nearest airport has to take over or the pilot has to report to the nearest circle airport(in this case chennai ATC as it has control over the entire south zone airspace). Its a clear breach of protocols from both sides.
Its this road going attitude(I am sorry, I am not blaming all drivers), that causes accidents in airline industry. Flying does not tolerate carelessness or indifferent attitudes. Its not the question of whether the pilot can land without ATC or not, but its the question of following the protocols and Standard operating procedures. I sincerely hope that DGCA takes severe action against the fireman, AAI authority and the pilot. The duty of ATC officer is to be present during his duty time! that is when a plane has a scheduled landing/take off into his airfield. If the ATC (both controllers) had some emergency, must have informed the authorities of the same and the flights must be diverted to nearest airport and not be landed by some fireman and policeman like this.

Last edited by AlphaKilo : 7th February 2012 at 21:09.
AlphaKilo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2012, 01:04   #18
Senior - BHPian

I don't know what is the protocol for commercial planes, but close to my place in cincinnati we have an uncontrolled airport which is very busy and pilots just talk to each other before landing/taking off.

in a very low traffic situation, I would think the Air Traffic Control is redundant, but rules are rules.
Old 8th February 2012, 01:35   #19
BHPian

Funny it happens in India too :P. It happened here, at the airport I have flown out of, at least 10 times last year:
Air Traffic Controller Admits Sleeping on the Job | NBC4 Washington

But yes, you can't sue the airlines for ATC not doing its job.
Old 8th February 2012, 02:59   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
we have an uncontrolled airport which is very busy and pilots just talk to each other before landing/taking off in a very low traffic situation, I would think the Air Traffic Control is redundant, but rules are rules.
Negative! There is a difference between uncontrolled "Air fields" and airports with ATC. If there is an ATC and controllers are assigned to it, they have to do their job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post
Funny it happens in India too :P. It happened here, at the airport I have flown out of, at least 10 times last year:
Air Traffic Controller Admits Sleeping on the Job | NBC4 Washington

But yes, you can't sue the airlines for ATC not doing its job.
A pilot has to listen to only a ATC not any x, y z's commands! You may ask how is he supposed to know who is at the other side? correct, its a security lapse and breach of protocols. Usually, pilots flying regularly in and out of a particular airport know the controllers and their voice, especially in small airports like tirupathi. Its the duty of the pilot to ensure that he is receiving proper instructions from the person authorized.

Most Viewed