Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2012, 16:10   #1
Senior - BHPian

Fireman helps aircraft land in the absence of ATC !!

Fireman guides plane to land in absence of ATC at Tirupati airport - The Times of India

What do you say about this?

1- The pilot couldnt think of an alternate airport where a "real" ATC could guide the aircraft?
2- The airport manager allowed an outsider to enter the control tower?

I think the passengers should sue Jet Airways for endangering their lives,the pilot and the airport manager should be sent to jail !

Last edited by GTO : 6th February 2012 at 18:51. Reason: No inappropriate language please, not even indirectly
Old 3rd February 2012, 16:23   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fireman helps aircraft land in the absence of ATC !!

Funny, i am sure the pilots wouldn't have realized that they are talking to fireman on the other end as the airport lacks basic infrastructure like Radar etc. So all the information the pilot gets from ATC is runway condition, weather, and wind speed.

I guess no one sue anyone, if anyone could be sued its the ATC and AAI which manages the airport.
mayankjha1806 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2012, 16:33   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Funny, i am sure the pilots wouldn't have realized that they are talking to fireman on the other end as the airport lacks basic infrastructure like Radar etc. So all the information the pilot gets from ATC is runway condition, weather, and wind speed.

I guess no one sue anyone, if anyone could be sued its the ATC and AAI which manages the airport.
read this Fireman Lands Jet Airways Flight When ATC Blows off Work

It says the manager was woken up and ATC in chennai were watching all this unfold for over 40 mins ! The pilot was definitely aware of who they were talking to as it clearly mentions "broken english " .

As if the first one wasnt enough ,there was another one on it final approach ,and this one had 100 passengers .
Old 3rd February 2012, 16:35   #4
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 6th February 2012 at 18:53. Reason: gud = good. Please type in full words and avoid SMS language. Thanks.
HighOctane is offline   Received Infraction
Old 3rd February 2012, 16:55   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Few days back there was news of pilot landing in Kochin airport instead of Kozhikode (~220 kms away) - Passengers shocked as plane lands in Kochi instead of Kozhikode - Hindustan Times

Then there was news that Mangalore air crash was caused partly since pilot was asleep for more than half the duration of flight and was disoriented - BBC News - Air India plane crash: 'Sleepy' pilot blamed

And the most bizzare is a flight reaching over Goa since pilots were asleep while it was flying over its destination Mumbai - Plane overshoots Mumbai as both pilots go to sleep - Times Of India

Well, our city bus drivers are a tame lot compared to this.
mpksuhas is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2012, 17:08   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Then there was news that Mangalore air crash was caused partly since pilot was asleep for more than half the duration of flight and was disoriented - BBC News - Air India plane crash: 'Sleepy' pilot blamed
Now that's an evidence!
"According to the Hindustan Times, data recorders captured the sound of snoring."
clevermax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2012, 17:16   #7
Senior - BHPian

Guys, even without ATC support the Pilot is trained to handle such situations. The ATC plays a role in ensuring there is no "interfering" traffic during the final approach. Also when the weather is not conducive, they provide information on wind speed, shear, lightning, thunderstorm, visibility, rainfall etc. So a safe landing here is not something "great" to write about more so because this airport has very less air traffic. But what needs to be addressed here is - where did the ATC personnel disappear?

BTW, the pilot can also do an automated landing through ILS (Instrument landing system), the airport must have this facility though.

Spike

Last edited by SPIKE ARRESTOR : 3rd February 2012 at 17:18.
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2012, 17:41   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Few days back there was news of pilot landing in Kochin airport instead of Kozhikode (~220 kms away) - Passengers shocked as plane lands in Kochi instead of Kozhikode - Hindustan Times

And the most bizzare is a flight reaching over Goa since pilots were asleep while it was flying over its destination Mumbai - Plane overshoots Mumbai as both pilots go to sleep - Times Of India

Well, our city bus drivers are a tame lot compared to this.

How about adding a simple alarm to the huge list of hi tech instruments meant to keep the passengers safe?
Old 3rd February 2012, 17:50   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Then there was news that Mangalore air crash was caused partly since pilot was asleep for more than half the duration of flight and was disoriented
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
"According to the Hindustan Times, data recorders captured the sound of snoring."
What people. This is complete nonsense. You are overreacting and mixing up two things:
  1. Asleep pilot
  2. Disoriented pilot
1. is actually good for god's sake. See the plane is up there, now you better let the pilot catch an hour's nap and regain his sharp senses - THAN ask him to carry on while half tired and disoriented? Of course, all of this assumes a competent and alert First Officer with sufficient experience who can take over in the meanwhile.
Old 3rd February 2012, 18:12   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
What people. This is complete nonsense. You are overreacting and mixing up two things:
  1. Asleep pilot
  2. Disoriented pilot
1. is actually good for god's sake. See the plane is up there, now you better let the pilot catch an hour's nap and regain his sharp senses - THAN ask him to carry on while half tired and disoriented? Of course, all of this assumes a competent and alert First Officer with sufficient experience who can take over in the meanwhile.
True. Some sleep during the flight (but not into landing) could help in regaining senses. But here, I have my doubts - who knows, he was probably DRUNK? May be it is a stupid assumption. I'm not sure, but are they completely deprived off alcohol during their duty hours?

On a lighter note, I keep wondering how can they ever sleep during a flight.. even being a passenger, I can't sleep during a flight In international flights I get my thing which can put me into few micro sleeps but the dry domestic ones, no way.

Last edited by clevermax : 3rd February 2012 at 18:16.
Old 3rd February 2012, 18:37   #11
Senior - BHPian

^^ Pilots are not supposed to be under "influence" till 8 hours prior to their duty, there is also a basic check (breath analyzer) for the same. That is the law IIRC.

Spike
Old 3rd February 2012, 18:52   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
On a lighter note, I keep wondering how can they ever sleep during a flight.. even being a passenger, I can't sleep during a flight In international flights I get my thing which can put me into few micro sleeps but the dry domestic ones, no way.
ha. my ex-bosses and a few current colleagues are the kind who will step into a flight and be sound asleep before it taxies out. They'll not even wake for food or heavy turbulence! when people take 100+ flights a year, then they kinda become pros at catching sleep in a flight just like that!

PS: If they are found even %wise drunk (while seeming normal and in control) then there's very strict disciplinary action from DGCA and people's careers get spoilt. Had some cabin crew friends, they would rather call in sick than show up when they drank more than their body may be able to process.
Old 4th February 2012, 12:16   #13
BHPian

Here is a news snippet related to drunk pilots:

alco sensor-IV

It tells you how the pilots used to fool the system!
Old 4th February 2012, 21:14   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesquall
Here is a news snippet related to drunk pilots:

alco sensor-IV

It tells you how the pilots used to fool the system!
Yes, Earlier the pilots used to keep their mouth in breath analysers without blowing air. Now new alcometer will alert if they donot blow air.
Old 7th February 2012, 10:14   #15
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't know what is the rule with in a small airport the ATC calls in sick and doesn't turnup and there is no backup aswell. It seems the Fireman and the manager who guided him did a decent job to salvage the situation. The System itself seems flawed as the backup plan seems (incase the ATC calls in sick) to have been non existent or failed.

Jet Airways ofcourse is not to be blamed as they have no control on the ATC side at airports.

Most Viewed