Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2010, 15:48   #1606
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleman View Post
Urbanisation? I have seen snakes in Bangalore city.

One of my colleague is a reptile rescuer here in Bangalore. He has rescued 100s of snakes and turtles and leave it in Bannergatta forest. Some times he gets a call in the middle of a meeting and rushes to save the creature leaving all his important work.
Hi, Last week, a snake entered our neighbour's kitchen in HSR layout and apparently they had to pay the snake-catcher Rs 800 to take it away. Could you post a link to your friend's public details, if any, so it would be of assistance to someone in case another snake turns up in the locality....as they probably would, this being monsoon (winter to follow) and overgrown grass on non-constructed plots. As for animals not turning up in urbanized areas,as I recall, there was news a couple of years ago about a leopard turning up in some place on Karve Road in Pune (Pune residents can confirm when this was)...... and believe me, very few places are more densely crowded and concrete covered than Karve Road. The poor leopard would have choked from the vehicle fumes.... I believe the leopard wandered from Katraj. It would be akin to a leopard turning up in Kalasipalyam in Bangalore.
Old 29th September 2010, 11:19   #1607
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidkun View Post
Hi, Last week, a snake entered our neighbour's kitchen in HSR layout and apparently they had to pay the snake-catcher Rs 800 to take it away. Could you post a link to your friend's public details, if any, so it would be of assistance to someone in case another snake turns up in the locality....as they probably would, this being monsoon (winter to follow) and overgrown grass on non-constructed plots. As for animals not turning up in urbanized areas,as I recall, there was news a couple of years ago about a leopard turning up in some place on Karve Road in Pune (Pune residents can confirm when this was)...... and believe me, very few places are more densely crowded and concrete covered than Karve Road. The poor leopard would have choked from the vehicle fumes.... I believe the leopard wandered from Katraj. It would be akin to a leopard turning up in Kalasipalyam in Bangalore.

Hi,

He gets these calls from Just Dial and works for FREE. Maybe the rescuer your neighbours called is a hoax and doing it for his living, but it is my friend's hobby and interest.

He doesn't have any website or blog, you can contact Just Dial and probably they will provide you the number of this guy. His name is "Shoiab" or else leave me a PM, I will convey the same to him.
Old 29th September 2010, 13:29   #1608
BHPian

Animal Emergency number (MUMBAI)

Sorry to hear about some of the sad news out here.

Here is an emergency number for animals in Mumbai: 93200 56581 (IDA)

I dont know much about these folk, so others can add to it. I simply saw an animal ambulance once and quickly noted down the number for future reference. They seem to be fairly well organized going by the website:

In Defence Of Animals India | Animal Rights Organization India
Old 30th September 2010, 13:40   #1609
BHPian

Anyone knows place where we can keep pet dogs for some time?

One of my friend is going home for 2 weeks so she needs a place to keep her 2 years old lab. If anyone volunteers would be good.
Old 30th September 2010, 14:31   #1610
BHPian

Advice needed

Hi guys, I have a ~3 year old Spitz(Tinku). Highly energetic fellow he is and a bundle of joy for the whole family.
A week back, caught a glimpse of a dog/bitch with this guy in the backyard of our house. As soon as it felt my presence, it ran away jumping over the fence wall.
Ever since, Tinku has been constantly hovering near the backyard looking for him/her. I suspect that the other dog has been making frequent clandestine visits without any of us being aware. I have tried putting a barrier over the fence, not sure if it is effective though.

Now, I have been looking for a partner for Tinku for quite some time, but in vain. Not many female Spitzs' around. Even posted in an online pet matrimonial site with no responses yet.

I thought he will get over this yearning for the other dog, but its now almost a week and follows the same behaviour of waiting for that dog. Not sure how to tackle this.

Thanks
Old 5th October 2010, 00:18   #1611
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedMae View Post
I thought he will get over this yearning for the other dog, but its now almost a week and follows the same behaviour of waiting for that dog. Not sure how to tackle this.
I know this option is not very common in India, but I will say it anyways. A vast majority of pet dogs in countries like US are neutered. There are 77 million pet dogs in the US of which, 75% are spayed/neutered.
U.S. Pet Ownership Statistics : The Humane Society of the United States We had our guy neutered just before his first birthday.
Neutered pets would develop less aggression, and behavioral issues, they socialize/play very well with other male and female dogs. With all the hormones being generated in the body, confined spaces from which they can smell other female dogs, but cannot do any thing about it, will play games in their brain, which may lead to several issues. If you are not a breeder, or not interested in dog shows and such, neutering is a good option that you can talk to your vet about.

I have mentioned the need to spay/neuter to my friends in India, and get a lot of resentment. I am just providing you inputs about what is popular in the US to prevent such issues. Hope it helps,
Old 5th October 2010, 12:24   #1612
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasadee View Post
I know this option is not very common in India, but I will say it anyways. ....

I have mentioned the need to spay/neuter to my friends in India, and get a lot of resentment. I am just providing you inputs about what is popular in the US to prevent such issues. Hope it helps,
Thanks for the reply Prasadee. I'm under the assumption( read somewhere) that neutering should be done quite early, something like within the first year. Not sure if I'm right.
Moreover I thought, I will let him experience 'it' atleast once before I consider the option of neutering. But as I said earlier, I'm yet to find a nice/healthy partner for him. Though I must admit that my efforts have been sporadic at best.
Anyways will talk to the vet about this option.

Thanks
Old 5th October 2010, 12:53   #1613
Senior - BHPian

Please, please, please do not neuter your pets! Creating a market due to ones demand for purebred dogs, buying them for your own pleasure and then modifying them for you own convenience, sounds so inhuman!
Every living being has a natural desire and right to procreate. Please do not steal that from them.
Old 5th October 2010, 13:10   #1614
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayabusa View Post
Please, please, please do not neuter your pets! Creating a market due to ones demand for purebred dogs, buying them for your own pleasure and then modifying them for you own convenience, sounds so inhuman!
Every living being has a natural desire and right to procreate. Please do not steal that from them.
Its perfectly normal and accepted practice to neuter. I have done that for my kitty cat. Otherwise, they go wild during mating season :-)

Animal activists including CUPA promote neutering (as opposed to killing animals) to control population outbreak.

Please remember animals procreate as part of nature. They do not procreate for pleasure. Only Humans do that.
Old 5th October 2010, 13:49   #1615
Distinguished - BHPian

Oh, I think they get some fun out of it too!

Yes, neutering should be done early, before the hormone-induced habits get set in, but I don't think there is any harm in getting it done later for birth control reasons, especially if one has adopted an older animal. This is particularly true for cats, who usually live a double life outside: the girls will, otherwise, be ensuring one's house stays full of kittens, and the boys will be trying to ensure everybody else's does!
Old 5th October 2010, 21:15   #1616
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedMae View Post
Thanks for the reply Prasadee. I'm under the assumption( read somewhere) that neutering should be done quite early, something like within the first year. Not sure if I'm right.
It has to be done early because they mature pretty fast. Its done very early mostly to prevent accidentally impregnating other dogs. Tinku may remain potent for another 5 years. I have seen dogs that are a few months old - up to 8 years old neutered.

Jayabusa,
One cannot ensure humane treatment in a caring home for the half dozen puppies that are generated every so often. We already see hundreds of stray dogs causing havoc in our cities. I am not good at arguing, so I can only request you to go through some of the material available online, a lot of research has been done in this area about what is humane and what is not.

Last edited by prasadee : 5th October 2010 at 21:17.
Old 7th November 2010, 00:01   #1617
BHPian

This was my favorite thread in team-bhp and might remain so . I never thought that I will be posting this in the thread but as they say never say never ...
I bought him when he was 22 days old , I kept him inside my shirt to keep him warm from delhi winters and he was peeping from the gap in between my shirt buttons. I am talking about my 8 year old doberman - Diesel .

He proved that he is "Mens best friend " and I proved that vice versa of this proverb is not true. With a lump in throat I am typing this Because of some unavoidable circumstances I wont be able to keep him with me for atleast next 6 months .

I am looking for a either a family who can take care of him for next 6 months or some pet shelters in or around delhi where I can leave him. If money can make things easier for him then its not a constrain.

Guys can you please help me on this ?

Please dont suggest to leave him with some friend or relative , I have tried everything possible.
Please help me in saving my friend
Old 7th November 2010, 01:06   #1618
BHPian

According to me, instead of finding help to keep him away from you for six months, you should rather try and find ways to keep him with you during these testing times.
Just think about how he would be shattered to be kept away from you after you shared so much love together. It would leave a deep scar in the puppy's mind which may lead to problems later on when he grows up. Such incidents are what lead to an "ill-mannered, aggressive, heartless dog". It's not the dog but the master at fault.
Thumbs down brother, I suggest you find a way out to keep him with you, noting is impossible, brother, look around, I think I know what your problem is, there is a way out, for sure, I say again, nothing is impossible. Try.......

By the way guys, I have a query, my 1.5 years old Lhasa does something strange once in a while. When he is playing with me on a bed or a carpet, he lays his head down by his side (his cheeks touching the ground) and starts to dig with his front paws in a circular manner (sideways) if you know what I mean.
Earlier, he just used to dig with his front paws standing straight which is normal I think but, lately he started this "head touching the ground while digging" as well. Is it something to worry about?
I checked for fleas, ticks or ear infections.

Last edited by abhipuru16 : 7th November 2010 at 01:12.
Old 7th November 2010, 20:36   #1619
BHPian

Note from Team-BHP Support : We do NOT permit bumping up your own query. Such posts are classified as SPAM. Please do NOT inconvenience other users by bumping up your own posts.

Last edited by GTO : 19th January 2011 at 11:05.
prashant.dinkar is offline   Received Infraction
Old 8th November 2010, 04:14   #1620
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

i found this little pup shivering in the BDA complex in HSR layout a couple of days ago in the evening around 5pm. when I came back to my parked car something made me look underneath - saw the small pup lying under my engine bay for the warmth but dangerously close to the wheel.
so we picked her up, brought her home, gave her a sponge bath with savlon and warm water, fed her and kept her warm in a shoe box lined with cloth and knitwear for a day.
my three existing pet dogs were quite tolerant of her though she was pretty frightened and kept yelling out everytime they went near. at night we kept her wrapped up and inside our staff room where she slept peacefully.
yesterday I got the CUPA ambulance to pick her up and take her to the animal shelter. through the 30 odd hours she spent with us at home she did nothing but eat and sleep - i dont think the poor thing in her short life had much access to decent food, warmth and a peaceful rest - especially during the Diwali cracker madness.
she could not be more than 3-4 weeks old but she sure is a survivor!
she's gone now but will be safe in the CUPA shelter.
am glad we were able to make a small difference to atleast this stray pup's life.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-06112010655.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks