Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2011, 22:33   #1711
BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

Guys!
I need some advice here.
Actually, a few days back while my Lhasa Apso pup who is 1 year 5 Months old was sleeping, my mother was petting him. At that moment, he bit my mum 3 times without any warning. Although, the bites weren't very deep but it was still scary!
Now, after this happened, he looked a bit confused and after a lot of "drama (which includes my mum and dad shrieking and me running to the scene to check)" he rushed and sat beneath our center table and looked at us with moist eyes, as if crying.
After that, he came up on my bed, that was when my mum showed me the bite marks and I was so infuriated that I picked up my pillow and gave my dog three tight whacks right on the bed! Even at this point in time he was growling (out of fear maybe?)
Since that day, he has turned a bit aggressive and growls and snaps aggressively if anybody tries to pick him up. What's wrong?
The only thing out of routine I can find is that due to intense winter at our place, we are unable to take him out for walks but instead, let him roam around our terrace in the afternoon where he plays fetch with us.
How do I win back the trust and respect?
I read about it on the Net and am now doing this-
"I hold him up face to face with my hands and try to stare him in the eye without blinking or anything to give him a sense of "who is the boss". At this moment, he stares for a second and then looks somewhere else and then just refuses to look me in the eye. Also, he yawns quite a bit while I go about this exercise."

Just today, he snapped and growled at my cousin who kind of "accidently" held him by his front legs while he was jumping all over here in joy! Fortunately, no damage was done.

He is a good dog and learnt Sit, Lay Down, Stay, Fetch and Shake-a-Paw almost instantly! It is just this behaviour of his in the recent days which has me worried.

Please help me out.
Old 7th January 2011, 23:34   #1712
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvgeorge View Post
May be look for a maid who is okay with managing dogs while I am in Office.
@George, pls make sure that this is a valid, workable, permanent solution. The maid should not be mis-treating the dog when she's un-supervised .. it can create aggressiveness in the dog.
Old 7th January 2011, 23:38   #1713
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Since that day, he has turned a bit aggressive and growls and snaps aggressively if anybody tries to pick him up. What's wrong?
You hit him, is what's wrong. I've had severe scratches from disturbing my cat in sleep --- and yet that cat was the sloppiest, softest thing. Even my wife once did something similar, when I disturbed her sleep!
Quote:
"I hold him up face to face with my hands and try to stare him in the eye without blinking or anything to give him a sense of "who is the boss"
Which he is going to perceive as aggression
Quote:
Also, he yawns quite a bit while I go about this exercise."
or, maybe just boring?

But hey, I wish I could be more constructive. My mother was a great dog psychologist, and used to reckon on a gentle tap on the nose as being sufficient indication of displeasure. She also took on an aggressive Lhasa Apso from a dogs home (in her 80s) and made it the gentlest dog.

All I know about Lhasa Apsos is that they are strange --- and probably much more intelligent than we give them credit for. Maybe that might be a starting point to understanding and dealing with the dog? I don't know, and I'm sticking to cats.

Wishing you success: they are strange, but great dogs!

Afterthought ... Isn't yawning a sort of nervous reaction in dogs?

Last edited by Amartya : 8th January 2011 at 10:07. Reason: Merged the posts, since they were related.
Old 8th January 2011, 00:11   #1714
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhipuru16 View Post
Guys!
I need some advice here.
Actually, a few days back while my Lhasa Apso pup who is 1 year 5 Months old was sleeping, my mother was petting him. At that moment, he bit my mum 3 times without any warning.
He is a good dog and learnt Sit, Lay Down, Stay, Fetch and Shake-a-Paw almost instantly! It is just this behaviour of his in the recent days which has me worried.

Please help me out.
Lasa apso, Dash and poms are agressive breeds and usually bite the owners. if you want a small dog which is humble buy a pug or a french bulldog. I have a boxer and a lab, my dogs are very friendly to guests, when guests come the dogs look very scary with grouling and barking, but by the time our guests leave they ask us to hand them over a pup when the next litter happens. If you have the space try getting a second dog which is little submissive, for me this trick worked, my boxer was very choosy around food and will only eat the best rice, but once we got our second dog(a lab) my boxer is in healthy compatetion for food so she eats almost anything we give.

Pramod

Last edited by Amartya : 8th January 2011 at 10:06. Reason: Kindly avoid quoting a large post in it's entirety unless absolutely necessary. Thanks.
Old 8th January 2011, 00:20   #1715
Senior - BHPian

Dogs get aggressive only when they are ill-treated or not cared for long.
Either
Not taken for a walk regularly or some much needed exercise daily. They need to get tired to get rid of the excess energy they keep building up.
Shouted at all day long or irritate them purposely
Don't feed them on time
Chain them for longer hours
Ignore them

Dogs too have psychology issues just as human do. They get frustrated as well as depressed.

Have you ever thought when someone lets their dog of the chain and they just run here and there no matter how much you call for them. Mostly when the dog does listen to your call and comes back to you, people shout at them or even beat them for running away and it keeps getting worse.

In this case the dog feels scared of you as it thinks that he has done nothing wrong and he came back to you but still you scolded him so next time he does not want to listen to you when you call out. Best thing to do at that time is to actually treat him nicely without shouting and carry some dog treats and give it every time he comes back to you. This way you will earn his trust and take care of his aggressiveness.

Dogs don't understand much when you relay a command by shouting, for them that means just anger and they just get scared and hide out until you calm down. Best way to make a dog understand is to tap on the nose gently without shouting.

Yawning means they are bored and not interested in what you are trying to do. You are not getting his attention in best interest.

Last edited by Randhawa : 8th January 2011 at 00:22.
Old 8th January 2011, 00:29   #1716
BHPian

Thanks for your replies.
I am still thinking on ways to win back his trust in me as a master who loves him and doesn't challenge him. I don't want him to turn aggressive.
Also, what are the best vegetarian dog treats, Marie Gold Biscuits in pieces?
@pramodkumar- I am not being rude, but, honestly, your reply didn't help me even a bit.

With regards to yawning, not only during this exercise, he does this too often during the day, is it a cause for concern?

Last edited by abhipuru16 : 8th January 2011 at 00:33.
Old 8th January 2011, 00:57   #1717
Senior - BHPian

Please do not feed him biscuits at least not the ones we eat. Reason being, it's too much sugar for them and not good for their health and hair. Secondly it makes them temperamental and aggressive. Their heart pumps at twice the pulse of humans and too much sugar can actually cause a heart attack. That doesn't means a single biscuit will but just avoid any sugary stuff for your dog.

Buy the Pedigree -good bites- treat for your dog, available at any dog store.

I dont think too much yawning is a sign of concern. If you have a good vet doc around then do consult. As the doctor might actually advice you on behaviour improvement solution and more insight into it.
Old 8th January 2011, 01:48   #1718
Distinguished - BHPian

abhipuru16, as I admitted, I'm no great dog psychologist, but my gut feeling keeps saying, talk to your dog. Probably you do anyway, in telling, giving instructions and so on, but I'm saying, pass the time of day with him.

This may sound really silly, but when trying to rationalise that gut feeling, I'm thinking its to do with hearing your normal, reassuring, friendly voice; coming to regard you, once again, as a friend and companion. Don't overdo the boss bit; not for now at any rate.
Old 8th January 2011, 10:21   #1719
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
abhipuru16, as I admitted, I'm no great dog psychologist, but my gut feeling keeps saying, talk to your dog. Probably you do anyway, in telling, giving instructions and so on, but I'm saying, pass the time of day with him.

This may sound really silly, but when trying to rationalise that gut feeling, I'm thinking its to do with hearing your normal, reassuring, friendly voice; coming to regard you, once again, as a friend and companion. Don't overdo the boss bit; not for now at any rate.
I think this is very good advice, especially because this is a more recent phenomena and also because the dog has had some training.

About the biscuits, what Randhawa said is very true, the sugar as well as fat content of the biscuits we eat is too high for a dog on a regular basis.
Old 8th January 2011, 10:23   #1720
BANNED

Quote:
Guys!
At that moment, he bit my mum 3 times without any warning.
He has been hurt either by your mom or someone else while playing/feeding/etc. He is reacting to the scenario's which he thinks will hurt him again.

Its a defense mechanism in some of the aggressive dogs.

Disciplining him by hitting is the last thing you need to do.

See if there is a change in the way he conducts himself everyday. Talk around the folks in the house to find out. He might be sitting in a different posture or trying not to exert himself too much. Do this and report back. Increase the love shown a bit more.

And about trust, amongst the 2 of you the only one who would not lose trust in the other is your dog. Reciprocate it.
Old 8th January 2011, 11:08   #1721
BHPian

Those were some very insightful replies.
So, I need to talk with my dog and spend time with him, sure, I can. Do I talk and recall commands to spend time with him or your'e trying to say I should have him by my side and just have him to listen to all the blah I speak in a normal tone?

Maybe my question is silly, but, its our first dog, so kindly bear with me.

And no, he is not hurt, he is still very playful and cheerful but gets aggressive when somebody tries to pick him up or even just hold him.
Old 8th January 2011, 11:37   #1722
Senior - BHPian

Now I am sure the way he reacts is due to been hurt previously by actions of your family members or it is also possible that he is not feeling well. If any part of his body is painful then he will not let you touch it.

Best cause of action right now is too just take things easy and without showing around who is the boss. You really don't need to give him lectures unless he is really interested to hear you out. Just pat/stroke him gently and feed him the treats. You just need him to trust you to touch him without hurting him. I hope not everyone in your family is trying to show who is the boss.
Old 8th January 2011, 11:46   #1723
BHPian

Okay, I'll follow what you say. And no, its only me trying to be the alpha in the pack.
Old 8th January 2011, 11:52   #1724
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Those were some very insightful replies.
So, I need to talk with my dog and spend time with him, sure, I can. Do I talk and recall commands to spend time with him or your'e trying to say I should have him by my side and just have him to listen to all the blah I speak in a normal tone?
blah in a normal tone. Tell him what you are doing; ask him how he is today; discuss the weather; tell him about the family.

In a couple of months, you may be coming back here to tell us, "He understands every word I say!"
Old 8th January 2011, 18:54   #1725
BHPian

Quote:
And no, he is not hurt, he is still very playful and cheerful but gets aggressive when somebody tries to pick him up or even just hold him.
Sorry for sounding so rude but the first thing you need is to take him to your VET.
Due to lack of exercise there are high chances that there might be issues with his metabolism and hence more amount of the wrong hormonal secretion is happening which is showing on his temperament or body parts and hence the reaction when you try to hold him or pick him up.

Though you are spending time with him, also ask your Mom to get back to her normal loving and caring ways towards your pet as she used to do before he bit her.That might allay your pets insecurity or guilt.

And third and the final thing which might have gone unnoticed is : Have you got your pet mated? If not then its quite common among poms, Lhasas to get irritated so fast and react.

Pet population control guys..dont flame me now

Quote:
In a couple of months, you may be coming back here to tell us, "He understands every word I say!"
Love the attitude , Thad. Respect \m/

Last edited by Alter_Ego : 8th January 2011 at 18:56.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks