Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2011, 10:11   #1741
Senior - BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Guys need some help. My Little Lab is eating her own poop, Please let me know what we can do to prevent this.

Pramod
Apparently, if the dogs have calcium deficiency, they tend to eat their own poop. This was told to me by a vet who used to see my GSD.
Old 28th January 2011, 16:07   #1742
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Dogs also tend to be attracted to and indeed sometimes even eat poop because it is strong smelling. They cannot differentiate as per human standards between "nice smell" and "nasty smell" - they are always attracted to strong smelling things.

Even my 3 monsters who are 8, 7 and 4 respectively still go straight as an an arrow towards some perfectly horrible-smelling things when being taken out for "walkies" and it is only a sharp word of command or sometimes even dragging them off by the collar that distracts them from it.

Eating his/her own poop in puppyhood happens quite often. There is a possibility of some mineral deficiency as well.

Ideally try and ensure he/she poops out of easy reach, by taking him/her out as soon as you observe him/her squatting and assuming the "position".

Also try giving the pup/dog 2 tablespoons of VITAPET - which is a vitamin booster syrup. the dog will eat it up because it is nice and sweet.
You should also add 2 tablespoons of OSTOVET (Calcium Syrup) to the dog's milk. Additionally, 1 seven-seas capsule will help to balance things out and ensure the dog's coat is perfect. These supplements should help to balance any deficiency that may exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Guys need some help. My Little Lab is eating her own poop, Please let me know what we can do to prevent this.

Pramod
Old 28th January 2011, 18:25   #1743
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
They cannot differentiate as per human standards between "nice smell" and "nasty smell"
They differentiate very well, according to doggy standards!

Although i suspect their criterion might be interesting or not rather than nice or nasty.
Old 29th January 2011, 18:17   #1744
BHPian

One more method if the pup keeps eating the poop is to add some medicine which will make the pup vomit in the poop and let the pooch eat it. He will vomit after eating the poop and if repeated will avoid eating poop altogether.
WARNING:
This is a HARD method to do this. Use this only if the pup does not stop eating the poop and is not reccomended otherwise to do this
Old 31st January 2011, 07:08   #1745
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

yes you are right- interesting or not is the correct comparison - nice or nasty is as per human standards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
They differentiate very well, according to doggy standards!

Although i suspect their criterion might be interesting or not rather than nice or nasty.
Old 31st January 2011, 10:19   #1746
Senior - BHPian

Even my Lab occasionally tries poop, but he is very choosy and normally samples the hard dry type rather than soft one. There is another trait which I noticed. Though he rarely vomits, he eats it up after some times. In fact he will guard it ferociously and will not let any one clean up.
Old 31st January 2011, 12:50   #1747
BHPian

Friends, Here is our Aquarium, we have gold fish, silver shark, zebra, red cap in it.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-p2120490.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-p3310307.jpg  

Old 3rd February 2011, 06:49   #1748
Senior - BHPian

My bruno is 9 months old now -
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-dsc_0227.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-dsc_0230.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-dsc_0235.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-dsc_0237.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-dsc_0242.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-dsc_0243.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-dsc_0245.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-dsc_0246.jpg  

Old 3rd February 2011, 13:04   #1749
Distinguished - BHPian

Bruno looks cute. Why the chain treatment in a closed home?
Old 3rd February 2011, 21:11   #1750
Senior - BHPian

these pics were taken when we had relatives at home, hence he is chained. else he is a free bird!
Old 7th February 2011, 16:22   #1751
BHPian

Help !!

Hey guys

I have a pet named TIGER, a short haired GSD. He is abt 1.5yrs old now and pretty much well mannered. I need to lodge him in kennel for 3 days starting on feb15. There is a religious function in our home in hyd (Defence Colony, sainikpuri) and since lot of relatives are expected, we cant have him around, in our house.

I would like to know of any kennel/lodging for dogs near sanikpuri, as rao nagar/secunderabad for 3 days. It will be much appreciated if any pet lover from hyd can volunteer to have him in his/her house for these 3 days or plz suggest me any good kennels here. I have moved to hyd recently, from blr & dont have much idea about pet related outlets here.

Tiger is duly vaccinated & recently dewormed! No special food reqs.. actually he likes curd rice which is easiest to prepare
Old 7th February 2011, 17:27   #1752
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
My bruno is 9 months old now -
Cute.

Please see that he drinks clear, filtered water and not directly from a well or pipe. And his water bowl is clean and kept in a hygienic location. Please change the water every 12 hours if possible.
Old 10th February 2011, 12:00   #1753
BHPian

My cousin's teacher has a cockers spaniel which met with an accident yesterday with a car. It has one of it's legs fractured and also has some spinal injury. Could someone recommend me a good vet/neurosurgeon in Mumbai who could diagnose and treat the dog?
Old 11th February 2011, 03:53   #1754
BHPian

Both my GSDs are of 20-22 months now. High time I need to find a female for them. Please let me know if anyone's aware of anyone having female GSDs....
Old 19th February 2011, 21:11   #1755
Senior - BHPian

Friends here is a video of my two new friends Haripada and Kalipada.The are goldfishes incase you are confused. Please ignore the background score it is just the television. I got this on the 13th Feb. These are my first pets so do give some advice.

Most Viewed